2011 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Equinox:

2011 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Jan 122015

Equinox 4-cyl

When you are driving the 2011 Chevrolet Equinox ltz and the vehicle goes into "engine power is reduced" mode the vehicle comes to a complete stop within 10 feet. You are unable to turn the steering wheel or continue to move forward in any way with the phrase service stabilitrack appearing right after. You can be driving slowly at 20-25 miles per hour or faster at 35-40 miles per hour and this is able to happen at any moment. Total control of the vehicle is lost and the engine is unusable. Chevrolet informed us that this is caused by a bad sensor in the throttle body. The sensor is unable to be replaced without replacing the entire throttle body. The vehicle is unusable without replacing the throttle body and the throttle body is not covered after the emissions warranty of 24,000 miles. From years 2006-2009 the throttle body was covered under the powertrain warranty at 100,000 miles. After researching the internet and speaking with local mechanics, it has been noted that multiple Equinox drivers have had this issue and it always occurs between 50,000-60,000 miles. Frankly the vehicle is unsafe and Chevrolet does not care. Something should be done to either include this faulty part in a 100,000 mile power train warranty (as the engine will not operate without it) or a recall should be established. In the event that an Equinox is traveling at higher speeds (such as on a highway) the situation could potentially cause a fatal injury. Video of this occurring will be provided upon request.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jan 092015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning and the engine light illuminated. The vehicle was coasted off of the road and shook constantly. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the timing chain, fuel pump, and engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Dec 112014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle restarted after numerous attempts. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the vehicle needed a new cam shaft sensor. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 63,996.

- Lebanon, KY, USA

Dec 142014

Equinox 4-cyl

I tried to put the heater on and cold air came out. I replaced the thermostat and still had the same problem.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Feb 062014

Equinox 4-cyl

This vehicle uses about 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles. With no warning from manufacturer or dealer and the recommended oil change at every 4 to 5 thousand miles, the oil level is gone by the time the oil change is due. This repeated action causes the cam position sensor to sludge up and become faulty. This in turn causes the motor to stall. There have been many complaints of the engine stalling on the highway. Mine has stalled many times in city traffic. Due to my driving skills I have avoided any accidents. It is only a matter of time before there are deaths attributed to this issue. Although the manufacturer has been aware of this problem since 2007, it has not even gone as far as installing a low oil level sensor to help prevent this from happening.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 182014

Equinox

My 2011 Chevy Equinox started having trouble when starting the engine. I would start the car and all my emergency lights would start flashing. Emergency blinkers, airbag service light, stability track and check engine light. I would start to drive and the car would just stall out. If I am driving below 10 miles an hour, the car will turn off. I was making a left turn and my car stalled out in the oncoming lanes almost causing an accident. I have been trying to get my car serviced for a while but all the Chevy dealerships are booked solid around me. Reading the other reviews it looks like this is a common problem. I feel very unsafe driving this vehicle and for a car to only be a couple years old, this should not be happening.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 292014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the check engine warning light illuminated several times and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart, but the failure progressed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 41,000.

- Redding, CA, USA

Oct 162014

Equinox

I was turning left on a green light at the corner of argyle and oakleaf suntrust bank when the car slipped into neutral and I was stuck in oneway opposite traffic until I turned off the engine and restarted it and then was a ble to go into drive, I was almost in a serious accident with several cars. Then I was traveling North on hwy 295 and I had it in cruise control and I could not get it to quit until I turned off the engine. The power train was slipping after I had taken it to the Chevy dealer and they said it was fixed but less than a year later it started doing the same thing as before, slipping, making loud scratching noises.rubbing noises and it smelled funny like it was burning but there was no fire.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 112014

Equinox 6-cyl

My wife purchased a 2011 Chevy Equinox with a window sticker stating a four cylinder engine. It had 1800 miles on the vehicle when purchased. We took the vehicle in to have the oil changed and found it has a six cylinder engine. How is this possible and who should I speak with at GM. I'm very concerned because of the terrible gas mileage and a six cyl engine was not shown on the paper work?

- Germantown, MD, USA

Sep 142014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the vehicle hesitated and shook. The vehicle was restarted and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The diagnosis was that the intake cam shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,724.

- Bessemer City, NC, USA

Sep 092014

Equinox

Sept.09,2014 while driving with my 11 year grandson the engine turned off! we fear for our lives.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Mar 032014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle decelerated and all the warning lights on the instrument panel illuminated. The contact discovered that oil dissipated rapidly. The dealer diagnosed that an oil consumption test needed to be done and was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 31,000.

- Havetown, PA, USA

Aug 302014

Equinox

While driving the 2011 Equinox will jerk or jump as if being hit from behind while attempting to accelerate between 2nd and 3rd gear. The check engine light will not turn off. The stability track light comes on and off periodically while in motion. When the car is being turned off it shakes as if the motor is going to fall out. I have to turn off the ac before turning the ignition switch to off position to decrease some of the shaking, yet it does not prevent it. Furthermore while driving at approx.. 30-35mphs, the car jumps to 5th gear without allowing to accelerate any faster in the mist of traffic.the 2011 Chevrolet Equinox shakes and makes a wining noise while idling. It does so to the point where the hood is shaking. The car only has 54000 miles on it. Also I have to constantly adjust the seatbelt while driving because it cuts into my neck which is very uncomfortable and a huge distraction. This car will now go forward in drive but it will not reverse.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Apr 202011

Equinox

Columbia, SC-at least twice a month my ignition switch will not turn to the off position so that the key can be removed. I have to turn it back to on (it's not necessary to restart the car) and then back to off in order to remove the key. This began happening within a month after purchasing my new 2011 Equinox. I took it to the dealer April 19, 2011, and they could not find the problem--"unable to duplicate." The problem continues, last occurring 6/25/14. Also, during that same visit, I had reported that the A/C smelled like mold when I first turned it on. 6/27/14, it still smells like mold. As with the ignition, the dealer's service dept. Could not determine the cause of the problem. The latest issue started around 21,000 miles. The engine, which had always run rough (I attributed this to the 4-cylinder engine) began shutting down when I slowed or stopped for traffic lights. I called my dealer and was asked where I purchased my gas and told to get some injector cleaner! I then googled my problem and learned that many others were experiencing the same situation with their 2011 equinoxes. I then called roadside assistance for a pickup and rode in the wrecker to the dealer, where I was greeted with disdain. I told the service advisor to google "Equinox recall" and read the posts, and he said there was no recall (not yet, anyway!) I told him I knew that, but he should look at the many complaints similar to mine. The next morning he called to say that they had found a problem, the solenoid valve. He was a lot friendlier when I picked up my vehicle, his main concern being that I gave the service dept. A good review! no apology for treating me like I was crazy. I predict that the ignition and engine problems with the Equinox will be GM's next recalls. Maybe they need to advise their service advisors to read the online posts regarding their vehicles!

- Columbia, SC, USA

Apr 292014

Equinox 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, there was a sudden loss of acceleration as the wrench warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the throttle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000. Updated 10/24/14 updated 4/20/2015

- Akron, IN, USA

Aug 102011

Equinox

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the repairs were unknown. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 6,000 and the current mileage was 48,000.

- New Castle, PA, USA

Dec 142012

Equinox 4-cyl

This has occurred multiple times ant infrequent and unexpected intervals. It has been presented to dealerships multiple times without resolution. When trying to accelerate from a stop at an intersection, the motor will lag and/or drop in RPM similar to a manual transmission car. The lag creates a 1-2 second delay in the transmission propelling the vehicle forward or doing so at a speed that is constantly increasing. This occurs without regard to the amount that the accelerator peddle is depressed. This delay creates a significant delay that poses a safety hazard and has nearly resulted in multiple intersection collisions.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

May 012014

Equinox 4-cyl

2011 Chevrolet Equinox. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle suddenly stopped dead while driving and would not restart. The consumer stated it took him 20 minutes, to get the vehicle started again.

- Georgetown, IL, USA

Apr 022012

Equinox 4-cyl

Vehicle has had inordinate transmission noise since around 10K mileage. While vehicle was idling, went into incredibly rough idle, vehicle shaking with warning message about stabilitrack error and vehicle shut down. While this initially happened while idling, it also happened numerous times at speeds from 20-50 mph as reported by spouse. After multiple trips to the dealer for unacceptable engine noise, engine shutting off and cel illumination (separate issue that has also never been remedied), an issue with the timing chain and fuel pump was alluded to and that a "fix" for this would be available in late spring of 2013. Fuel pump and timing chain replaced at no charge that summer, but similar symptoms continued. Loud, rough idle, intermittent vehicle shutdowns. Eventually took to another dealer who stated it was a throttle body issue and that this somehow was not covered by powertrain warranty even though this "used" to be part of the transmission, it somehow no longer is on newer models. After a $500+ repair, issue hasn't recurred in last 3 months (so far), but cel still illuminates during wet conditions (which both dealers cannot seem to fix). I feel this vehicle has been a lemon since about 10K miles and continues to be so. We only own Chevy's but between this vehicle and our apparently dangerous '05 cobalt, we can no longer afford to put our trust in Chevy and will need to seek out other vehicle manufacturers. It is apparent Chevy only cares about the money we can funnel to them for buying american. That will stop with the next vehicle purchase this summer when we turn in the cobalt (for probably next to nothing due to its new safety reputation). I mention this info as we really want to put our faith, trust and money into an american car corportation like Chevy and have been overly patient with them. No longer...others need to know about these issues.

- Lockport, IL, USA

Dec 062013

Equinox 4-cyl

On numerous occasions this winter, the vehicle displayed the message "engine powering down" & "service stabilitrak" while I was driving 65 mph at night on a very busy highway during rush hour commutes. When this happens, engine slows and the vehicle comes to a crawl within minutes - barely enough time to find a place to pull off the highway. When I shut off the engine, all electrical ceased, and emergency flashers would not work. Allowing the vehicle a 5 minute break then restarting (resetting the computer) fixes the problem. I researched this on the internet, and there are many Equinox owners complaining about this very thing.

- Victor, MT, USA