2011 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Equinox:

2011 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Feb 062014

Equinox 4-cyl

This vehicle uses about 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles. With no warning from manufacturer or dealer and the recommended oil change at every 4 to 5 thousand miles, the oil level is gone by the time the oil change is due. This repeated action causes the cam position sensor to sludge up and become faulty. This in turn causes the motor to stall. There have been many complaints of the engine stalling on the highway. Mine has stalled many times in city traffic. Due to my driving skills I have avoided any accidents. It is only a matter of time before there are deaths attributed to this issue. Although the manufacturer has been aware of this problem since 2007, it has not even gone as far as installing a low oil level sensor to help prevent this from happening.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 182014

My 2011 Chevy Equinox started having trouble when starting the engine. I would start the car and all my emergency lights would start flashing. Emergency blinkers, airbag service light, stability track and check engine light. I would start to drive and the car would just stall out. If I am driving below 10 miles an hour, the car will turn off. I was making a left turn and my car stalled out in the oncoming lanes almost causing an accident. I have been trying to get my car serviced for a while but all the Chevy dealerships are booked solid around me. Reading the other reviews it looks like this is a common problem. I feel very unsafe driving this vehicle and for a car to only be a couple years old, this should not be happening.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Oct 292014

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the check engine warning light illuminated several times and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart, but the failure progressed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 41,000.

- Redding, CA, USA

Oct 162014

I was turning left on a green light at the corner of argyle and oakleaf suntrust bank when the car slipped into neutral and I was stuck in oneway opposite traffic until I turned off the engine and restarted it and then was a ble to go into drive, I was almost in a serious accident with several cars. Then I was traveling North on hwy 295 and I had it in cruise control and I could not get it to quit until I turned off the engine. The power train was slipping after I had taken it to the Chevy dealer and they said it was fixed but less than a year later it started doing the same thing as before, slipping, making loud scratching noises.rubbing noises and it smelled funny like it was burning but there was no fire.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 112014

Equinox 6-cyl

My wife purchased a 2011 Chevy Equinox with a window sticker stating a four cylinder engine. It had 1800 miles on the vehicle when purchased. We took the vehicle in to have the oil changed and found it has a six cylinder engine. How is this possible and who should I speak with at GM. I'm very concerned because of the terrible gas mileage and a six cyl engine was not shown on the paper work?

- Germantown, MD, USA

Sep 142014

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the vehicle hesitated and shook. The vehicle was restarted and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The diagnosis was that the intake cam shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,724.

- Bessemer City, NC, USA

Sep 092014

Sept.09,2014 while driving with my 11 year grandson the engine turned off! we fear for our lives.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Mar 032014

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle decelerated and all the warning lights on the instrument panel illuminated. The contact discovered that oil dissipated rapidly. The dealer diagnosed that an oil consumption test needed to be done and was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 31,000.

- Havetown, PA, USA

Aug 302014

While driving the 2011 Equinox will jerk or jump as if being hit from behind while attempting to accelerate between 2nd and 3rd gear. The check engine light will not turn off. The stability track light comes on and off periodically while in motion. When the car is being turned off it shakes as if the motor is going to fall out. I have to turn off the ac before turning the ignition switch to off position to decrease some of the shaking, yet it does not prevent it. Furthermore while driving at approx.. 30-35mphs, the car jumps to 5th gear without allowing to accelerate any faster in the mist of traffic.the 2011 Chevrolet Equinox shakes and makes a wining noise while idling. It does so to the point where the hood is shaking. The car only has 54000 miles on it. Also I have to constantly adjust the seatbelt while driving because it cuts into my neck which is very uncomfortable and a huge distraction. This car will now go forward in drive but it will not reverse.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Apr 202011

Columbia, SC-at least twice a month my ignition switch will not turn to the off position so that the key can be removed. I have to turn it back to on (it's not necessary to restart the car) and then back to off in order to remove the key. This began happening within a month after purchasing my new 2011 Equinox. I took it to the dealer April 19, 2011, and they could not find the problem--"unable to duplicate." The problem continues, last occurring 6/25/14. Also, during that same visit, I had reported that the A/C smelled like mold when I first turned it on. 6/27/14, it still smells like mold. As with the ignition, the dealer's service dept. Could not determine the cause of the problem. The latest issue started around 21,000 miles. The engine, which had always run rough (I attributed this to the 4-cylinder engine) began shutting down when I slowed or stopped for traffic lights. I called my dealer and was asked where I purchased my gas and told to get some injector cleaner! I then googled my problem and learned that many others were experiencing the same situation with their 2011 equinoxes. I then called roadside assistance for a pickup and rode in the wrecker to the dealer, where I was greeted with disdain. I told the service advisor to google "Equinox recall" and read the posts, and he said there was no recall (not yet, anyway!) I told him I knew that, but he should look at the many complaints similar to mine. The next morning he called to say that they had found a problem, the solenoid valve. He was a lot friendlier when I picked up my vehicle, his main concern being that I gave the service dept. A good review! no apology for treating me like I was crazy. I predict that the ignition and engine problems with the Equinox will be GM's next recalls. Maybe they need to advise their service advisors to read the online posts regarding their vehicles!

- Columbia, SC, USA

Apr 292014

Equinox 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, there was a sudden loss of acceleration as the wrench warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the throttle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000. Updated 10/24/14 updated 4/20/2015

- Akron, IN, USA

Aug 102011

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the repairs were unknown. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 6,000 and the current mileage was 48,000.

- New Castle, PA, USA

Dec 142012

Equinox 4-cyl

This has occurred multiple times ant infrequent and unexpected intervals. It has been presented to dealerships multiple times without resolution. When trying to accelerate from a stop at an intersection, the motor will lag and/or drop in RPM similar to a manual transmission car. The lag creates a 1-2 second delay in the transmission propelling the vehicle forward or doing so at a speed that is constantly increasing. This occurs without regard to the amount that the accelerator peddle is depressed. This delay creates a significant delay that poses a safety hazard and has nearly resulted in multiple intersection collisions.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

May 012014

Equinox 4-cyl

2011 Chevrolet Equinox. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle suddenly stopped dead while driving and would not restart. The consumer stated it took him 20 minutes, to get the vehicle started again.

- Georgetown, IL, USA

Apr 022012

Equinox 4-cyl

Vehicle has had inordinate transmission noise since around 10K mileage. While vehicle was idling, went into incredibly rough idle, vehicle shaking with warning message about stabilitrack error and vehicle shut down. While this initially happened while idling, it also happened numerous times at speeds from 20-50 mph as reported by spouse. After multiple trips to the dealer for unacceptable engine noise, engine shutting off and cel illumination (separate issue that has also never been remedied), an issue with the timing chain and fuel pump was alluded to and that a "fix" for this would be available in late spring of 2013. Fuel pump and timing chain replaced at no charge that summer, but similar symptoms continued. Loud, rough idle, intermittent vehicle shutdowns. Eventually took to another dealer who stated it was a throttle body issue and that this somehow was not covered by powertrain warranty even though this "used" to be part of the transmission, it somehow no longer is on newer models. After a $500+ repair, issue hasn't recurred in last 3 months (so far), but cel still illuminates during wet conditions (which both dealers cannot seem to fix). I feel this vehicle has been a lemon since about 10K miles and continues to be so. We only own Chevy's but between this vehicle and our apparently dangerous '05 cobalt, we can no longer afford to put our trust in Chevy and will need to seek out other vehicle manufacturers. It is apparent Chevy only cares about the money we can funnel to them for buying american. That will stop with the next vehicle purchase this summer when we turn in the cobalt (for probably next to nothing due to its new safety reputation). I mention this info as we really want to put our faith, trust and money into an american car corportation like Chevy and have been overly patient with them. No longer...others need to know about these issues.

- Lockport, IL, USA

Dec 062013

Equinox 4-cyl

On numerous occasions this winter, the vehicle displayed the message "engine powering down" & "service stabilitrak" while I was driving 65 mph at night on a very busy highway during rush hour commutes. When this happens, engine slows and the vehicle comes to a crawl within minutes - barely enough time to find a place to pull off the highway. When I shut off the engine, all electrical ceased, and emergency flashers would not work. Allowing the vehicle a 5 minute break then restarting (resetting the computer) fixes the problem. I researched this on the internet, and there are many Equinox owners complaining about this very thing.

- Victor, MT, USA

Feb 132012

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle began shaking violently as the entire instrument panel illuminated followed by the vehicle stalling. The failure was recurring however, the contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where unknown repairs were performed. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000. Updated 05/27/14

- Elmont, NY, USA

Mar 212014

This vehicle has never gotten anywhere near the advertised epa estimated gas mileage. I have over 20000 miles on it now and have only averaged around 23 mpg on the highway in eco mode. This really should be considered false advertising. I bought the vehicle mainly because of the estimated 30 mpg. Really disappointed in GM at this point.

- Azle, TX, USA

Jan 212014

Equinox 4-cyl

Engine loss of power, with service engine light illumination and reduced engine power message while driving on interstate highway when under 5 deg. F at night.. onstar advised to stop driving the vehicle due to engine damage concern and potential fire. Drove vehicle in "limp mode" direct to servicing dealership, dealer advised of engine code P2135 and stated vehicle required a "throttle body" replacement (same as onstar), at a full parts & labor cost of almost $500 dollars. Dealer stated that this repair is no longer covered under GM's powertrain warranty (yet is a P-code and is obviously powertrain related as it is the throttle body) or the emissions warranty. Not only is the failure mode dangerous, so is the vehicle response to the condition (reduced power). Not having the issue covered by warranty of some type makes it even worse.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Mar 072014

Equinox 4-cyl

Engine loss of power, with service engine light illumination and service traction control message. Drove vehicle home in "limp mode" before taking to servicing dealership, the following Tuesday. Dealer performed balance chain repair under manufacturer special warranty letter. Afterwards, dealer advised of engine code P2135 and stated vehicle required a "throttle body" replacement, at a full parts & labor cost of $583. Dealer stated that this repair is no longer covered under GM's powertrain warranty. Multiple online posts indicate that this same loss of engine power issue has occurred with vehicles traveling at freeway speeds, which will be mush more dangerous.

- Columbia, MD, USA