2011 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Equinox:

2011 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Feb 242014

Equinox 4-cyl

I have had problems with my 2011 Chevrolet Equinox since the day I got it but yesterday was the worst. The engine all of a sudden stalled on the highway and I had to pull off the road. I just had it in the shop last week and had the fuel pump and timing chain replaced. I was able to get my car home only able to drive 40 mph. This morning I was going to try to get it to work to be closer to someone who could check the code out on it but as I was going down the road it completely stalled out and I barely got off the road before the engine cut out all together. I have read numerous forums of customer with the same vehicle having the same problem. This is a safety issue and GM needs to address it. The shop is saying that if it's the fuel throttle body which is what I suspect they will not cover it under warranty. From what I understand there was a bulletin put out on this issue and it was covered for awhile on the powertrain warranty but they pulled the bulletin and no longer cover it. I need help. GM knows they have issues with this vehicle but they will not do anything about it.

- Farnham, VA, USA

Feb 122014

Equinox 4-cyl

First off, sometimes my vehicle when in park acts like it may turn off, but doesn't. can hear/feel the vibrations like its about to. Secondly, the main reason I'm on this page, the A/C. it just stopped working out of the blue and making a noise. I take it in and told the condenser has a leak and needs replaced as well as the condenser which is making the noise. Wow, quoted from one place $1,084 the other place I only got a quote on the condenser of $424.. no telling what the compressor will be. After looking online and seeing so many Equinox vehicles having ac issues I hoped there was a recall on the parts, unfortunately not the case. 2011 and need a new condenser and compressor for A/C wow!! car shaking like its gonna die... wow!! this vehicle was purchased about a year and half ago.. and having to sink in over $1000 for these replacements! no telling what the engine vibration during idle is from, going to have that checked out soon. Oh and one other thing, when a tire is low, it appears to shows up backwards on the screen.

- Harlingen, TX, USA

Feb 102014

Equinox 4-cyl

Cruising along at 65 mph on highway when service stabilitrak light along with reduce engine power came up on the dash. I lost engine power and went from 65 mph to 15 mph. I was able to pull onto an exit ramp. I quickly pulled over & parked the car. Shut the car off & waited about 1 min & turned the car back on. The stabilitrak & the reduce engine power cleared off my dash but the check engine light stayed on. Then was able to merge back into traffic & pick up the 65 mph speed. I was worried that it would happen again when I had to cross oncoming traffic. When I got in my car later, the service engine light had even turned off, but on the way home it happened again. Took it to the shop and was told it was a throttle body/solenoid issue & that it needs replaced. They told me it isn't covered under the pt warranty. As others have also said, I'm seeing a number of people with this same issue & wondering why this isn't a recall? it's very unsafe especially cause you don't know when its going to happen. If your doing 65-70 mph on a highway & there are cars close to you & the vehicle decides to do this, you and your family are going to get killed.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Feb 102014

Equinox 4-cyl

I was driving on a residential street going 30 mph. All of a sudden there was a engine clunk ( 4 cyl) and then rapid deceleration with the engine running very rough. Of course the warning lights came on. The next day I drove to the dealership several miles away and was lucky to get there as the vehicle was running so badly. The dealership will make the throttle body repair, change some sensors and fool with the timing belt, but the bottom line is the safety issue. Reviewing the prior complaints, it was scary hearing about those having problems on the interstates. Yes, something needs to be done by General Motors. Recalled these vehicles for inspection. Someone is going to get killed. The lady at the dealership had the gaul to say, "didn't you have the throttle body cleaned when you got your oil changed".I said lady, I have no idea what a throttle body is and if it is so important, then the dealer should do it automatically. Good luck, it will cost me $400, they said today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

- La Porte, IN, USA

Feb 052014

Equinox 4-cyl

Started accelerating & when I got to 55 mph the vehicle started losing power rapidly & service stabilitrak light along with reduce engine power came up on the dash. I went from 55 mph to 20 mph within seconds. I was able to pull onto the side of the road. I tried to merge back onto the highway but was unable to go faster then 16 mph. I quickly pulled back over & parked the car. Shut the car off & waited about 1 min & turned the car back on. The stabilitrak & the reduce engine power cleared off my dash but the check engine light stayed on. I then was able to merge back into traffic & pick up the 65 mph speed. I continued to work & had no other issues until I pulled into my work parking lot. That's when the stabilitrak & reduce engine power came back on & I lost power again. I parked the car & called the dealership. They told me to bring the vehicle in. It didn't duplicate the issue the whole way to dealership. The next day they called me to let me know they replaced a sensor & updated the computer with software. I drove the vehicle & it seemed fine. Week later had the same issue. Got about 5 mins into my trip & was on the interstate going 60 & all of a sudden the service stabilitrak & the reduce engine power light came back on & the vehicle dropped my speed of 60 to around 17 mph quickly. Thankful that no one was close behind me when this happened. I got off an exit & pulled into a parking lot. Called the dealership. This time they sent a flat bed out to get vehicle. They called & said it was a throttle body issue & that it needs replaced. They told me it isn't covered under the pt warranty. I'm seeing a number of people with this same issue & wondering why this isn't a recall? it's very unsafe especially cause you don't know when its going to happen. If your doing 65-70 mph on a highway & there are cars close to you & the vehicle decides to do this, you are in big trouble.

- Pulaski, PA, USA

Jan 252014

Equinox 4-cyl

I came to a stop and car began to shake, reduced engine power and service stabilitrak light came on. I pressed gas to go and car would not go out of 1st gear, stayed at about 15 mph. Less than 1 mile from home so made it home and parked it. Started again the next day, no problems and drove most of the week with no issues. Same thing happened yesterday again and I pulled over 3 different times to restart to make it to my destination. Took car to dealership, they called today and said the throttle body needed to be replaced, it was not covered on power train and would be $500 to repair. From what I have gathered looking online, this appears to be a very common problem and sounds like a recall needs to be done. I am currently trying to get assistance to cover repair cost. This is a very dangerous situation as I was on the expressway when it happened once and it was terrifying to go from 60 to about 30 in 30 seconds when cars all around me are going 60 and 70 mph.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 172013

Equinox 4-cyl

I was stopped at stoplight at 8pm the car shook as I started to turn left and the stability control light came on then low power engine light came on in my 2011 Equinox. The car powered down to 2 mph, it would not accelerate so I turned into a parking lot, shut the car off and turned it back on same thing happened again. I called onstar and had the car towed to phillips Chevrolet (great service) in frankfort, il. The service manager called and told me that the throttle body had to be replaced. I had the extended warranty so the cost was $100 to me, without the warranty it would have been $600 to fix. I asked if he has replaced many throttle bodies in this model car he said quite a few. The car was fixed. I emailed Chevrolet and asked how many throttle bodies have been replaced in all cars, they said no recalls on this car. I was unsatisfied with their answer, that was not my question. Chevrolet called me back and said that a person would call me about my concern. They called and told me the same story, no recalls and the dealer could have been lying to me, which made me upset. I asked to speak with a supervisor and he told there were no records kept of how many throttle bodies have been replaced, which I do not believe. He also told me about a fuel pump problem that Chevy would fix only if my car had a problem and a chain belt problem that could a cause serious problem to the engine if the car showed symptoms. I was not happy with that answer either. I will take my car in for a chain belt and fuel pump check now that I am aware of the potential problem. The supervisor told me that I would have to contact your Agency about my concern. I would like an answer to my original question, how many throttle bodies have been replaced in Chevrolet cars" why did this happen and will a recall be issued" thank you.

- Tinley Park , IL, USA

Nov 172013

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the engine stalled without warning while driving at various speeds. The contact was able coast onto the shoulder and restart the engine. The engine exhibited a loud, abnormal noise at start-up. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact was advised that the fuel pump, timing chain, actuator and engine oil was contaminated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,400.

- East Sandwich, MA, USA

Nov 132013

Equinox 4-cyl

Check engine light came on, had autozone run on computer, came back code P0011, found recall on code in 2011(11195A), car is doing same thing as recall stated, I called GM and they said it was not part of recall, I explained problem and they would not tell if part was under warranty, all they said was take to dealer. GM told me so ES vins were recalled, but not all, couldn't tell me why this one was not recalled even though it is doing same thing.

- Alexandria, KY, USA

Apr 232012

Equinox 4-cyl

I received a letter from Chevrolet (July 2013) explaining that there are issues with numerous engine parts, particularly the fuel pump and balance chain. Chevrolet stated that they are extending my power train warranty to 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first. I have had the balance chain replace twice already. I am concerned that the condition with the fuel pump could cause a fire or serious engine damage. The letter from Chevrolet states: "in addition, the fuel pump plunger shaft seal may wear and allow fuel to leak into the crankcase, which would illuminate the malfunction indicator light. This can cause run-on and/or the engine to run rough". I would assume that the engine and oil in the Equinox would reach very high temperatures when they have been operated for a period of time. The introduction of fuel into the crankcase and engine could possibly ignite. Also the failure of the balance chain could cause engine failure under some driving conditions that could leave the car inoperable, causing an accident. I believe Chevy should be held accountable for the defective parts and potential danger their failure could cause. Chevrolet should be directed to issue a recall to replace these defective parts..

- Schaumburg, IL, USA

Sep 012012

Equinox 4-cyl

I have had many problems with my 2011 Chevy Equinox that started occurring about a year after I purchased it. The main concerns are the engine noise and how rough it runs, feeling as though I am being rear-ended in traffic (when moving forward from a complete stop it lurches forward, giving the feeling of being hit), rough start up (sounds like an old car at times) and the car stutters when accelerating (almost feels like it wants to stall out). I do not feel safe in this car now and have read that many others are experiencing the same issues. I have taken it four times giving them the same description each time at which they state that they cannot replicate these issues. They keep my car for hours and do nothing to it. I am a single mom so I can't leave my car without it causing major issues for me as I have to take my son to and from school. I received a letter from GM stating that there is an issue with the fuel pump and engine balance chain and describes what my vehicle is doing now-I believe I have engine damage and I am worried that I will end up breaking down on the side of the road at some point or worse stall out and end up in an accident! in addition to the engine problems there is a problem with the defroster, it just doesn't clear the windows fast enough, on going problems with the stereo (makes a static, distorted sound with the usb port) and the drivers side squeaks because it rubs up against the middle console. It is very frustrating because the problems are intermittent. I am hoping that enough people complain about this safety issues with regard to the engine and cause GM to deal with it appropriately! we should not feel afraid that our new car will break down on us, especially with our children in the vehicles!

- Pittsburg, CA, USA

Mar 012013

Equinox 4-cyl

Vehicle started making a loud "ticking" noise from the engine, seems like it was coming from two locations. At first I thought it was low octane gas causing the lifters to tick. I keep my car meticulously and on the next refuel filled it with 93 octane, still the ticking continued, and in time became louder. I took it to the dealership and they only put a noise reducer over the fuel injection area. This problem didn't exist at the time of purchase nor a year ago. This is obviously a faulty part of poor engine design. I have read other posts of individuals having to have their timing chain replaced. The dealership only placed a reducer for the noise but never fixed the problem.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

May 202013

Equinox with 4 cylinder engine has not worked properly since purchased in July 2011. Engine made loud noise each time started. Returned to dealer several times for problem with no results. In May 2013, engine stalled several times and engine light came on. Dealership replaced cam intake but will not guarantee that future problems may occur. Additionally, this vehicle currently has another issue that may be related to the brake system - whining noise. Dealer has not repaired yet. Will continue to return to dealership repair shop. This vehicle should be recalled.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Jan 212013

Equinox 6-cyl

I was driving back from work back in January 2013 and I stopped my car at the traffic light. When the light turned green, I began to drive again, but the engine shut off. Restarted the engine, stopped at the next traffic light, and the engine stopped again when I tried to drive after the light turned. This happened three times. I took to the dealership and they performed a diagnosis and could not find anything, but recommended me to do the fuel induction and fuel injection service because of the carbon built up. I questioned them why the carbon built up so quickly (25K miles) for this car while the other cars I had owned do not have the carbon built up until much later time and mileage. The deal told me that it is normal for the carbon built up that early. I end up have the oil changed and left the dealer. Since 5/27/13, the same problem occurred again. After it occurred at least once every week for three weeks, I took it to another dealer. After diagnosis, a code of P0011 intake camshaft position performance: Found oil level (the print out was cut short). I was told the engine oil was 2&1/2 quarts short, but could not find any leaking. I asked if it might be an internal oil combustion, and was advised to change the oil, come back after 1000 miles to perform oil consumption test. I questioned the service rep why the engine oil is so low after 5 month and 6K miles. He said that it is normal. I agreed to change the oil and do the oil consumption test. I called the GM customer service for advise, she talked with me and the service rep in the dealership, and advised me to wait after the 1000 mile test. I am nervous because this is a repeated problem. I need the car to go to work everyday and the engine might stop again and an accident may happen, in the mean time, all I can do is taking the risk and hope nothing dangerous will happen.

- Oakton, VA, USA

Jun 202013

Equinox 4-cyl

I was driving down a major interstate decreasing my speed from 55 to 40. The car continued to decrease the speed without intervention from me. I applied gas to increase the speed and the car would not go above 5 miles although the gas pedal was pushed to the floor. I coasted to the left side of road waited to clear traffic and changed several lanes going 5 miles an hour. It was frightening. I had the car towed and after the dealership performed their analysis stated it needed an oil change. You got to be kidding!! how stupid does this dealership think I am - just brushing off this problem. This is the second time this has happened to me. The engine runs very rough and loud. Today, in another location there was a terrible accident with a car and 2 tractor trailers. The news person stated the car just began to slow down without any apparent cause and stopped. This sounds what happened to me. Chevy needs to explain and fix the problem. I don't trust this vehicle.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Jul 012011

Equinox 4-cyl

When driving vehicle at slow-mid speeds (less than 30 mph), it loses power. It appears that the transmission is not in gear and engine bogs down. Vehicle had to be pulled off to the side of the road, turned off, and restarted. Problem is intermittent and the dealer has made 3 repairs to address the issue, however it still occurs. Last service was 6-5-13, problem happened again 6-14-13. Overall this has occurred approximately 10 times since buying the vehicle in Feb. 2011.

- Batavia, IL, USA

May 042013

Equinox 6-cyl

Took my car in for service because the car was shaking, and rattling while driving, loss of engine power. Eventually the engine stalled and stalled several times upon restarting the engine. The service team said they needed to replace an O2 sensor. Since then the car is still stalling and riding rough but does not happen as often. Service department keeps telling me they are not able to "reproduce the problem". so far the car has stalled on me 4 times in less than a week after being the in shop twice for the same problem. A car with less than 45,000 miles should not be doing this !! this poses a danger to the public and my family if it stalls and I am unable to get the car off the road in time to avoid an accident.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 252012

Equinox 4-cyl

I was driving down the road and my 2011 Chevy Equinox just stalled on me. It restarted and ran fine. A few weeks later it did the same thing. In January 2013 it stalled on me 6 times within a short period. I was able to take it to the dealer. They replaced my camshaft actuators. Within 3 weeks of having those replaced, the car started stalling on me again. Again I took the Equinox to the dealer. This time they replaced the solenoid valves. The car has not stalled on me since that time, but it does run rough and the engine misses when I drive down the road. I believe it is only a matter of time until it begins to stall again. The cruise has actually turned off because of the engine missing. I feel the car is unsafe because you do not know when it is going to stall. I am afraid that I will be rear-ended when it stalls or it will stall when I pull out into traffic. I am afraid to take the car very far from home for fear of getting stranded. I feel this is a real safety issue.

- Delphos, OH, USA

Feb 202013

Equinox 4-cyl

I bought my 2011 Equinox late 2011. I have had problems on and off with the engine. First it started making an awful racket whenever it was first started. Sometimes only once a week or so, sometimes 2-3 times a day. Christmas day 2012, while loading the vehicle with gifts and such I had started it so that it would be warm when we were done. But before we were done the car started to sputter and act like it was out of fuel. I turned it off and after I restarted it ran fine but engine light was on. Light went off after about 50 miles. From christmas 2012 to February 20, 2013 that sputtering happened occasionally and then turned into a little worse of an issue and my engine power reduced message started coming on and I'd have to stop and restart the car before it would quit.the car would be 'sputtering' or feel as though I was running out of gas. It got to where when the engine power reduced message came on, before I could even pull over to shut it off the 'sputtering' was so bad that my check stabilitrac message would come on too. I noticed that my mpg had went down also. 2-20-13, I parked the car and didn't drive it again until the dealership could look at it. I took it to the dealership on 2-26-13 and I got it back today 2-28-13. They replaced the throttle body and some of the wiring for the throttle body and it runs like a dream (so far anyway). In fact, I'm not sure that it ever ran this well the entire time I've owned it.

- Henryetta, OK, USA

Dec 182012

Equinox 4-cyl

On 18 Dec 2012 the car lunged forward while exiting a parking lot. Ten minutes later the car lost all power on a busy highway. I could not steer the car to the shoulder of the road.... the car was dead. Police arrived to warn me of being in a very dangerous spot. I was towed by aaa to the dealership where the car was purchased. Service at the dealership = oil/filter change. Odometer - 9778. The old problem recurred today 22 Feb 2013. Odometer 10329 sluggishness, slow response to acceleration, died twice in reverse, and general undependable. I'm afraid to drive the car. It is a hazard on the road. Please help.

- Ivins, UT, USA