2004 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 11 of 20)

Jan 252011

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala xf. The contact stated that while traveling 70 mph, the speedometer failed and would not indicate at what speed the contact was traveling. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnosis or repairs. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileage was 101,792.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Jan 242011

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact was driving approximately 35-40 mph when the engine stalled without prior warning. The engine failed to restart and the vehicle was towed to an independent repair shop for diagnosis. The technician informed that the pass lock system was designed with two incorrect pins which resulted to the failure. The pass lock system was replaced. The failure was approximately 123,000.

- Marietta , GA, USA

Dec 312010

Impala

The speedometer ( component 1 ) has failed in the vehicle. It began by operating erratically on the date entered above and has progressed to not working at all most of the time or displaying the wrong speeds I.e. 70 mph while sitting still. The tachometer ( component 2 ) is also showing the same signs to complete failure by displaying unrealistic engine speeds while at idle. I contacted a dealer who ran the VIN and found no recalls. I however have researched this matter on the internet and have found numerous complaints of the same nature that appears to point to the stepper motors used in the instrument clusters by GM to be the problem. It also appears that GM has recalled several models of the same era due to this problem but not the Impala line. I fail to understand how the same problem is recalled for some but not all affected models.

Dec 312010

Sep 052010

Impala 6-cyl

The tachometer stopped working a few months ago, it goes up and down and all around and the speedometer began not working at all one day then it was ok for a few weeks and now it seems to be stuck between 40 and 120 even when the car is off. I have no way to determine my speed.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Apr 012010

Impala

The contact owns 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the instrument panel was faulty and providing an incorrect reading for gasoline levels, speed traveled and temperature of the vehicle. The contact stated that the message center and radio was also failing. The vehicle was not taken into the dealer for diagnosis or repairs. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 63,394

- Julian , CA, USA

Mar 102010

Impala 6-cyl

While driving a consistent speed, speedometer will fluctuate from stuck at zero to 120mph. Happens constantly. Fuel gauge fluctuates also and doesn't always work. If using cruise control while speed appears correct, the Impala will automatically increase its own speed while the speedometer does not change leaving an unsafe opportunity open for very tragic accidents to happen. I cannot believe that my 2010 Pontiac vibe has had 3 recalls and this Impala has not had any for the instrument panel. Do people really have to die or be injured before something is done to protect us?

- Summersville, WV, USA

Jan 052011

Impala 6-cyl

At highway speeds, speedometer began reading erroneously over 100mph before oscillating between 0 and 100. It settled at 0 for several hours but then returned to 100 with vehicle speed approximately 65 mph based on other traffic. Vehicle was turned off and back on with no change in symptoms. Problems persist.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Nov 202009

Impala

Speedometer and temp gauge are not working in Impala 2004. The speedometer quits working as I drive. It will come back to working state after I have turned off car and restarted it. The temp gauge just doesn't work at all.

- Covington, GA, USA

Aug 122010

Impala 6-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Impala speedometer has just stopped working. Checked online and found out there are a lot of owners that have the same problem.

- Brookhaven, PA, USA

Dec 102010

Impala

My oil pressure gauge stopped working, and a few days later the gas gauge went, then the anti-freeze temperature went. I called Chevy, they admitted that this happens a lot, but there is no recall. Cost 500.00

- Summerville, SC, USA

Dec 262010

Impala 6-cyl

My 2004 Impala is having passlock security problems, the security light comes on and won't let me start the car. Light blinks then goes off and car starts. Have had car towed twice and dealer tells me it is a PCM or BCM problem do not know how to fix. Also was told it happens to alot of Impala's.

Nov 182010

Impala 6-cyl

The light switch, part number 10283776, on my car developed an electrical short circuit and burned out the push-on electrical connector for the power supply wire to the lights in the instrument cluster. Enough heat was generated to damage the plastic connector, part number 12129431. The fuse did not blow. I replaced the light switch and connector.

- Selma, AL, USA

Dec 172010

Impala

Electronic instrument cluster gage not working. I cant tell how fast im going or if I have gas in the car. I wouldn't even know if my car is over heating. This seems to be a common problem on 2003-2005 Chevy Impala's. I have seen thousands of complains on the internet and its not fair that all these people have to take up this expense. Especially when its not cheap. I would understand if it was rare..but it seems like most Impala's have this problem.

- Winter Park, FL, USA

Dec 122010

Impala 6-cyl

Entire instrument panel stopped working on my 2004 Chevy Impala : speedometer, gas gauge, and temperature gauge. Called Chevy about recalls because 5 other friends having same problems. Was told no recalls. Front headlights and rear defrost stopped working just yesterday. Couldn't see anything. Had to park the car. Very, very dangerous. Someone is going to get hurt.

- Solon, OH, USA

Dec 112009

Impala 6-cyl

We were on vacation in Georgia on Dec. 11, 2009 when I noticed the speedometer registering 90 mph when I was only doing approximately 35. It has continued registering the improper speed or not working at all since that date. We feel this a very dangerous defect in the car and should be addressed by GMC. We have been using a garmin gps to register the speed since Dec of last year.

- Brooklyn, OH, USA

Dec 062010

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the speedometer failed and he was unable to see the actual speed he was traveling. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired. The contact called the manufacturer who offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 31,600. Updated 01/31/11 the dealership replaced the instrument cluster. Updated 02/03/11

- Escondido, CA, USA

Jun 012009

Impala 6-cyl

The instruments in my 2004 Chevrolet Impala stopped working. First the fuel gauge failed, then the temperature gauge failed, now the speedometer has failed. Since the speedometer does not read correctly, I feel it is a safety concern and should be a covered repair under a recall.

- Albion, NY, USA

Nov 042010

Impala

Chevy Impala speedometer is not working properly and I cant tell how fast I am driving. The speedometer sometimes reads zero, sometimes reads 100mph and I and only going 30mph. This is dangerous!

- Fort Atkinson, WI, USA

Nov 272010

Impala 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Chevy Impala, fuel gauge doesn't work half of the time, also now the speedometer works sometimes, its a safety issue, I got the car for my 17 year old daughter. Too many complaints from others about the same problems, G.M. needs to issue a recall and make this right.

- Oak Lawn, IL, USA