2004 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 12 of 20)

Nov 012010

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala ss. The contact stated that while putting the car in reverse that the vehicle stalled. She was able to restart the vehicle. The security light illuminated on the instrumental panel on different occasions prior to the failure. The dealer was contacted and informed her that the security system was unable to recognize that the key was in the ignition. The failure mileage was 85,000. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable.

- Kansas City , MO, USA

Oct 272010

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 20 mph, the contact observed that the speedometer displayed an inaccurate reading of 65 mph. The contact was in the process of taking the vehicle to the dealer for diagnosis and repairs. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was approximately 32,000.

- Mt. Vernon, TX, USA

Oct 282010

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated the temperature gauge failed and the indicator gauge fractured. The gauge was in the opposite direction. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the instrument panel cluster had failed. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 56,300.

- Clarks, TN, USA

Oct 292010

Impala 6-cyl

Typical GM speedometer problem. Speedometer reads approximately 30 mph faster than true speed. Reads 30mph when sitting still. GM issued a "recall" to settle a class action suite for the same issue on its trucks and SUVS, but did not issue it for passenger cars like the Impala.

- Madison, AL, USA

May 032008

Impala 6-cyl

The speedometer, gas gauge, temperature gauge have quit working in our 2004 Chevy Impala. The turn signals work when they want too. The heat panel controller only works on one side. On occasion the security light comes on and the car won't start. The rear defogger doesn't work. Lights on the radio only work when they want too. Every so often the transmission slips. I went on another sight and saw there are over 100 complaints for these same problems, we have been dealing with them for atleast 2 years, GM doesn't want to help out with any of these problems..

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Aug 122009

Impala

My Impala is having several safety issues which I have noticed is a common occurrence in these vehicles. I have also noticed GM has not recalled these issues. First safety issue is in the instrument cluster panel in which there are faulty stepper motors that cause my gas gauge, temperature gauge and speedometer to not function at all. Not knowing how much gas you have, how fast you are going, or what temperature your car is. These are serious safety issues to any driver. Second issue, my pass lock security system is malfunctioning. The security light stays on and causes my car to not start, leaving me and my infant son stranded for up to thirty minutes until it decides to start. Shame on GM for not resolving these issues in all their models. When will there be recalls for these obvious safety issues?! this is the last GM car I buy!

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Jan 062008

Impala 6-cyl

The speedometer of my 2004 Chevy Impala goes out. While driving down the road it will start climbing even though my speed has not changed. I may be going 40 mph but the speedometer reads 120 mph! the gas gauge will also read wrong and my temp gauge just plain doesn't work. This has been going on for over 2 years now. GM says it's not a recall issue. It can be corrected for awhile if we disconnect and reconnect the battery, but the fix is short lived. We have not yet had it repaired, the cost is over $400. We plan on having it fixed soon. I constantly feel unsafe driving this car when the speedometer malfunctions. I feel GM should be responsible for the cost of repair.

- Baltimore, OH, USA

Oct 132010

Impala

My car won't start. The "security" light sometimes flashes or remains steady, in either event, my car won't start. It happens at least 2 times a day. The most recent time was moments ago when I tried to start the car. Now, I can't continue with my work day because it won't start. I have had to miss work as well as other important appointments because of this. I have been researching this problem to see if other Chevy owners have had or are currently experiencing the same problem, and there are many many others who shared there experiences on topix.com and carcomplaints.com. I think this is absolutely ridiculous. What if it was a life or death situation"??? in addition, winter is fast approaching, and are we supposed to be stranded outside in below zero temperatures??"

- Hartford, CT, USA

Sep 222010

Impala

The pass lock system will not allow my wife's car to crank at times. You have to leave the key in the ignition for 10 mins before the car will start. This has happen when my wife and my twin girls were in a bad place and had to lock the doors and just sit in 90 deg weather Chevy dealer has no answers. This is a safety problem what has to happen before they are made to fix it someone has to be killed or raped because the car won't crank.

- Hartwell, GA, USA

Aug 012009

Impala

Low beams are no longer operable on the car. Seems to be a running theme with the Chevy Impala cars. 2004 Chevy Impala I have already spent more in repairs than to purchase the vehicle. Transmission, front drive line and now my passlock locks me out of the car- car won't turn on for sometimes 3 days. Lights quit working about one month ago I live in Hawaii and can't get my car to pass safety inspection to get my sticker so I now have a car with 60,000 miles that can't be driven on the road, can't be sold. Impala's are money sucking dangerous lemon vehicles. I can't afford to fix it can't sell it so now what the hell am I supposed to do with this car"??????????"

- Pahoa, HI, USA

Jun 152008

Impala 6-cyl

Speedometer and now the temp gauge faulty.. known problem with this 2004 Chevy Impala... GM fixed same issue in their trucks, but refuses to fix in this and other model cars...

- Solsberry, IN, USA

Aug 282010

Impala

I was driving my 2004 Impala at night and lights went out. One side had blinked before but came right back on. Last night I had to abandon my car. When I picked it up this morning the lights turn on again. Totally unsafe and unreliable. I checked online for a possible cause and found that this is an extreme problem with Impala, Chevy should fix this before someone gets killed!

- Dallas, IA, USA

Jun 212010

Impala

2004 Chevy Impala the manufacturer installed passlock system continuously locks the car from being cranked. Everything will operate properly except being able to crank the vehicle. This happens about every 20 times you crank the vehicle. You have to wait at least 10 minutes before the vehicle will crank. If you take the key out of the ignition during that time it is likely that the system will not reset itself, thus starting the process over again. I contacted 2 GM dealerships who said they could not fix it. Had another mechanic look into it and he tried replacing the ignition but that didn't work either. That cost nearly $800. Now I sit in the blazing sun or freezing cold or rain and wait for the car to finally start. GM needs to fix this for all owners at no charge. Sadly for them, it is not just Impala that are having this trouble; it is across the entire product line of GM models.

- Corrigan, TX, USA

May 182010

Impala

Driving on highway back from California thru Nevada speedometer all of a sudden stopped working and slowly dropped to 0 as done it at list 5 more time but only when driving on highways.

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Aug 252010

Impala

Ignition sporadically fails to start vehicle. All electrical systems will turn on, but ignition will not turn over starter. Left with a completely unreliable car that has left me stranded on multiple occasions; only to go back to the car an hour later and have it start! told this is an electrical problem that GM has had on multiple makes of cars throughout the past. It is widely known to be a problem, yet no recall has been issued.

- Williston, ND, USA

May 052009

Impala

For over a year, I have had problems with the electronic system for my 2004 Chevy Impala. For several months, the security light in my driver"S panel intermittently displayed when I placed the key in the ignition and my car failed to start. The car would eventually start after 15 ? 30 minutes. At first, this occurred sporadically but then became a more common occurrence. When I took my Impala to a local auto-repair shop, they were unable to diagnosis the exact problem. Their equipment reported a number of electronic errors but they were not able to pinpoint the precise cause of the car"S issues. Instead, they offered to reset the electronic codes and advised me to bring my car back at the first sign of any electronic issues. My Impala operated for the next few months without issue. However, a new electronic issue emerged with my vehicle. I noticed my car began to accelerate automatically. For example, if I was at a complete stop, the car began to accelerate at a moderate amount of speed as soon as I released the brake. Like the previous issue, this problem first occurred intermittently and soon progressed to a regular occurrence. When I took the Impala back to the auto-repair shop, the mechanics stated the automatic acceleration was due to a faulty ignition sensor. After I had the faulty ignition sensor replaced, the Impala once again ran without issue for a few months. However, the solution proved temporary as the previous automatic acceleration issue returned. I once again took my car to the auto-repair shop and once again, the mechanics blamed a faulty ignition sensor. At this point, I had the mechanics replace the ignition sensor. Since that point, my car has operated without issue until today. The security light in my drivers panel now continually displays whenever I drive. I feel as if I am at the end of my rope. I have spent a considerable amount of money to resolve this issue to no avail.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Nov 182007

Impala

I have a 2004 Chevy Impala that has a crazy dash cluster!! I know that I am not the only one!! GM has recalled other types of vehicles with the same type of cluster problem, but won't recall the Impala that are having the same dangerous issue!! I have young two children that are always with me and when I'm driving ; not knowing how fast I am going, not knowing my temperature, or how many rpms my car is pushing! very serious when I'm not the only vehicle on the road. I hope GM addresses this problem for the safety of there customers! hopefully the government can push them to do something!!! we people with this issue will appreciate it greatly!!! thank you

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 112008

Impala

For no apparent reason, the temperature gauge and speedometer have completely stopped working on my 2004 Chevy Impala. It is a safety concern that I do not know what speed I am driving or the temperature of my vehicle. I have not repaired or replaced the instrument panel because I can not afford it.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Sep 152007

Impala

I have read on several web sites that thousands of people were having trouble with the passlock system on their GM vehicles and I am one of those thousands of people. I am having trouble with using my own key to start my own car, but it will not start for 10-15 minutes.

- Lemon Grove, CA, USA

Jul 092010

Impala 6-cyl

Passlock system does not allow my car to start, I have been online and seen hundreds if not a thousand or so complaint's with the same problem.this car is useless if I cannot depend on it to start when I need it to, especially in a emergency situation since I live in a rural area of upstate New York that has no cell phone service if GM knows there are so many complaint's about a specific system they place in one of there vehicles, and all are identical. Then man -up institute a recall on the passlock system and restore the confidence in many of there customer's. I have a 2004 Chevy Impala 3.4 ltr.

- Horseheads, NY, USA