2004 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 13 of 20)

Jul 202009

Impala

The security light started coming on, and eventually the car began not starting. It started happening every once in a while, and now happens a few times a week. The lights, radio, and accessories work, but the car will not start. I have to wait 10 minutes to try again. This began about a month after my warranty expired. I took it to a shop, where they "located high resistance in ign cylinder connector to body control module removed and cleaned connectors and reprogrammed as needed". next day, security light went on, morning after that, car would not start! was told at the shop "if security light comes back on, will need to replace tumbler and new key and reprogram $690+ tax". I have a 2-year old daughter that I care for all day, and I work nights- leaving work at 1:30 a.M. I cannot have this happening. This seems to be a widespread problem among GM cars from 2000-2009, and I cannot find a true remedy for it.

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Sep 092007

Impala

Approx. 2007 - speedometer began fluctuating intermittently every few weeks. It corrected for a few weeks, then the problem would return. The frequency of the problem became worse in 2008. In 2009 it would fluctuate wildly, then "peg" to the maximum for extended periods(several weeks). Finally, it "pegged" to the maximum and has not returned. Inquiries result in estimates exceeding $500 to repair.

- Casco, ME, USA

Mar 062009

Impala

04 Impala ls speedometer stopped working around 30000 miles all gauges fail to work never know how fast I am going could be a potentially dangerous situation. Speedometer gets stuck at various places does not move while driving. As well as the temp gauge have not gotten it fixed as of yet. Why is there not a recall?

- Clermont, FL, USA

Apr 172009

Impala

2004 Chevy Impala. I go out to start the car and it will not start. I wait 15-20 minutes and it starts. The transmission also shifts hard. The speedometer says I am going 10 when I am going faster than that or it may say 100 when it is parked. Please, recall this.

- Van Buren, AR, USA

Feb 162009

Impala

1. car will not start 2. unpredictable, car will not start un less you leave the key in the on position for 10 mis. 3. don't know how to fix. 100's of complaints online about the passlock system causing the issue.

- Tampa, FL, USA

May 312010

Impala

My 2004 Chevy Impala speedometer has stopped working. The temperature gauge does not work at all and the fuel gauge works some time. This car is in otherwise excellent condition. Knowing your speed is certainly a safety issue. The dealer says getting it fixed is not a problem just give them hundreds of dollars.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Apr 072010

Impala

2004 chevorlet Impala temp gauge ceased to work and stuck in it's highest position. Tach gauge quit also. Replaced instrument cluster with rebuilt unit.

- Oreland, PA, USA

Dec 272009

Impala

Now at 117,000 kms. Or past my five year warranty. Since 88,000kms. Have complained several times about temp gauge very out of whack on highway trips, lead me to believe severely overheated, but no message from car, just gauge going almost 90 degrees past "danger point " of gauge. In last two years temp gauge replaced three times. Obviously not the problem. Returns to normal function in city or short haul driving. Stop frequently, and under hood check shows no signs of overheating. Conclusion- electrical, sensor, problem and dealer keeps coming up with costly new equipment fixes which do not work. Now they want to blame a water pump leak and gaskets, although reservoir carefully watched by me. No leaks there. Have never had to add fluid, although I keep it always in car-that is the dexcool-water mix. Never down lower than recommended, and the dealer wants to give me a new water pump and take 1000-1200 out of my pocket. They have never mentioned the temp sensor, or any other fix. Travel on mountain highways 3 times per year, gauge now gone way over the top 6-8 times. Always stop. No sign ever of hose, radiator, water, lowered reservoir, or computer messages as per manual. Have read of numerous similar problems of this make and model, the 04 Chevy Impala ls, always gauges. In my case I will not approve another temp gauge "fix" and now speedometer is acting up as well, just like other drivers reported.

- Vancouver, Canada, 00, USA

Apr 292010

Impala 6-cyl

2004 Chevy Impala will not start. Radio and windows will function, but car will not start....this will last about 10 to 15 minutes. This is the second time this has happened. This occurs about every 2 weeks.

- Ponca City, OK, USA

Apr 122010

Impala

The speedometer will all of a sudden stop working and not give an accurate reading, and it makes clicking noise when it happens. It occurs around once or twice a week normally, with minimal driving. The dash has to be replaced to correct the issue, there are many other people with this problem and it should be fixed at the company's expense. This is a safety issue because I could be going the wrong speed and not have enough time to react to something such as a deer if I am going faster than it says I am or if I have to guess my speed.

- Wausau, WI, USA

Jan 102010

Impala 6-cyl

2004 Chevy Impala, 35,000 miles. Was driving down the interstate and noticed that temperature gauge was reading in the red, pulled into a mcdonald's to see what was going on (normally the Impala has an alarm that goes off when overheating, this did not happen) as I decelerated, I noticed that the speedometer did not move, but rather stayed at 60mph, and the temperature gauge also did not move. Upon turning the car off, the speedometer moved back to 0, the temperature gauge stayed in the red. Turning the car back on did not reset the temp gauge, but as I accelerated, the speedometer stayed at 0 for the rest of the trip (I had to use gps to get speed). The speedometer has not worked correctly since. Doing some inspection later, I found this is an extremely common problem in Impala of most 2000-2010 Impala. Our local police force drives Impala, and the speedometers fail on roughly 60% at between 30K and 60K miles. A quick search online also revealed that it is a severe problem, and several people have been either pulled over, or had been going much to fast before noticing. Dealership says the only way to fix it is a complete replacement of instrument cluster($150 used, $400 new), and several people who have gotten the replacement simply have the problem again. As you can see, this is an extremely severe problem, and while the employees at the dealership say it happens all the time (at least 3 Impala with faulty speedometers per week), Chevy as a company does not seem to notice. Please help! links to some repair forums about similar problems: www.topix.com/forum/autos/Chevrolet-Impala/tjsmiqpd8J0ft5dk8 www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Impala/2004/accessories-interior/speedometer_gone_haywire.shtml www.automotivehelper.com/topic640920.htm www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/T752665.html.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Jan 092007

Impala 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Impala and about once a week it won't start for about 10-15 minutes. Have to sit there a jiggle the key around. Took it in and the Chevy garage could not figure it out at all and I was charge for this answer "I don't know" something is seriously wrong when you have thousands of people complaining of the very same thing in their Impala. I received all kinds of possible solutions like a new computer that costs over a $1000 give me a break.

- Wolf Point, MT, USA

Aug 012009

Impala 6-cyl

Dash gauges not moving at all, or when they do work they are not even close to being correct. My speed will show I'm going over 120 mph (I know I am not going 60). Temp shows the car is running hot when it not. RPM will stay on red. Some days the gauges will work fine and then all of a sudden they will go haywire. I am terrified that my gas gauge is going to stop working or show I have more gas that I do and I end up running out of gas. I am a 24 year old female and I don't know what I do if I ran out of gas somewhere all alone. I don't know what to put for as the date. It just started happening and I continue to have the problem. I googled 2004 Impala gauges and there are a lot of people having the same problem. Some one is going to get hurt by not knowing how fast they are going, someone could be having problems with there motor and will not able to tell (running hot, low oil, etc).

- Cottondale, AL, USA

Sep 162007

Impala 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Chevy Impala that the electronic instrument cluster does not work on. The gas gauge, temp gauge, and speedometer have not worked consistently on this car since I purchased this car back on 09/2007. The speedometer will show that I am going 0 miles an hour when I am actually moving, and my gas gauge will be pointing straight down, same as my temp gauge. I have taken the car back to bill seidle Chevrolet, the dealer that I purchased it from, and they will not address the issue. I have also contacted chevorlet about this situation and was told that it is not important enough and life threatening enough to have this addressed. Even though there are blogs out there with hundreds of people with the exact same problem that I am experiencing. I feel that this is extremely dangerous not just to my 2004 Chevy Impala but to virtually every GM owner since thru 2005, that there is a serious known safety issue resulting from the failure of the instrument cluster unable to determine speed of vehicle, when or if a vehicle is overheating, unable to determine how much or if any gas remains in the vehicle, these are serious issues when driving a 2004 Chevy Impala. A driver has no way of knowing critical information needed when driving a vehicle. The gas gauge, temp gauge, speedometer do not work. Chevy is aware of the issue and has consistently refused to make repairs of the faulty instrument panel. I implore you to please demand the Chevy recall on this electronic instrument cluster failures for the safety of all of us. I challenge you to google 2004 Chevy Impala, invariably every result will pertain to electronic instrument cluster. How could this not rise to the level requiring a recall?

- Davenport, FL, USA

Mar 262010

Impala 6-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Impala, instrument cluster gauge malfunction, beginning with temperature gauge showing incorrect temperature (cold start - temp readout 160 F), subsequently showing traction system failure indicator, finally progressed to speedometer failure at highway speed approximately one week later - speedometer began showing random speeds at approximately-steady cruise, reading 42 mph at about 70 mph. Internet research demonstrates multiple such instances. Chevrolet has addressed identical problem in Silverado and Avalanche models, but refuses to acknowledge that a problem exists in the Impala.

- Casper, WY, USA

Nov 202009

Impala

2004 Impala odometer malfunction in winter cold whether condition most of the time.

- Brampton, 00, USA

Aug 142008

Impala 6-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Impala speedometer quick working, no idea how fast car is going. The temperature gauge also quit, car could overheat without knowing.

- Boswell, PA, USA

Sep 272009

Impala 6-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Impala speedometer stopped working properly. It sticks(does not return to 0 mph when stopped) at the current speed on deceleration and increases readings from the deceleration point. So, car appears to going at 60 mph even though it is moving slowly in traffic. Cannot determine proper speed to adjust speed to speed limits. My car registered 120 mph in a school zone, even though I was trying to maintain proper speed. This defect makes the driver unable to determine actual speed vehicle is moving at.

- Holden, MA, USA

May 012009

Impala

The headlights on my 2004 Chevy Impala randomly go out at night without any warning. This seems to be caused by a defective dimmer switch. The only way to get the lights back on is by activating/flicking the dimmer switch so as to switch between high/low beams. No significant events led up to this problem. It appeared randomly and without any warning. This problem occurred roughly once every two weeks throughout several months until the dimmer switch had completely failed. Approximately halfway through the time period from onset of the problem until failure of the switch, the switch itself began to feel odd. It would allow the headlights to change beam without actually clicking into position. During the latter half of the failure period, the light failure seemed consistent with the improper operation of the switch. The switch now is completely failed with my lights stuck on low beam. I can pull back on the switch to activate the high beams, but they do not remain on when I release the switch. The lights go back to low beam. I am currently in the process of changing the switch which is proving very costly.

- Vanderbilt, PA, USA

May 152008

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 30 mph all of the lights on the instrumental panel, headlights and rear lights shut off. He then pulled over to check and replace the fuses. The fuses blew out again immediately after he drove a few miles. The dealer diagnosed the failure and stated that there was nothing wrong. A different dealer stated that someone tampered with the light switch and it was repaired. The failure mileage was 70000 and the current mileage was 80000.

- Alger, MI, USA