2004 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 20 of 20)

Feb 132007

My 2004 Chevrolet Impala speedometer is broken and there is no recall on it.

- Capitol Heights, MD, USA

Apr 142008

My Impala 2004 has about 41,000 miles on it. The temperature gauge needle went right over to hot, I immediately brought my vehicle in and for a half an hour had it on a machine to let me know if it was serious. The result from this test was, I could get away with driving the vehicle as is and just watch my vehicle for any signs of overheating or get the problem fixed. A month or so later my security light came on and after shutting the vehicle off it was fine. This has happened on a number of occasions now and I called Chevrolet and the first mechanic of course told me it was serious and bring it right in and the second Chevrolet mechanic told me that it was okay to drive, just turn the vehicle off and wait about 20 min and the vehicle should start. Was informed that it will be expensive to get these electrical problems repaired. After reading this sight and speaking with other Impala owners I realized that my vehicle is not the only one having this type of problems and perhaps Chevrolet should look into this and do the right thing and issue a recall.

- South Portland, ME, USA

Dec 012007

The speedometer started getting stuck about six months ago. For about eight months I have noticed that when I turn the steering wheel I hear a noise in the front of the car, like a knock or something. Also within the last couple of months I have also smelled gas when I first start the car, my husband could not see any leakage or anything until last week. It was leaking from the fuel regulator valve. Now the transmission is starting to shift hard sometimes. I haven't had the money to get it all checked out by the manufacturer but I was wondering if there have been any complaints on any of these things. Also I can hear a whistling sound when I press the accelerator. And my husband just informed me that he bought a regulator valve for it and some O rings because something is leaking antifreeze slightly. Can you help please!!!!!!!!

- Steele, AL, USA

Oct 242007

The temperature gauge on my 2004 Chevy Impala does not work and now my speedometer is not working properly. Know I have no idea how fast I am going (a safety hazard in school zones) nor do I know if my engine is overheating which could cause some other serious problems.

- Thompson, OH, USA

Jan 112008

Speedometer failure, gives me false readings, GM said I had T opay $600 to fix it, car only has 70,000 miles, many others having this same problem, it is a major safety issue, we all can't afford to pay for this issue, which is faulty from the factory, GM should recall the vehicle to fix.

- Williamsburg, OH, USA

Jan 252008

There were no events leading up to the failure. My wife was driving the car and the speedometer just stopped working. The speedometer would not show the correct speed. The needle would point directly down (not at 0) and then move counter clockwise when the car accelerated.

- Sammamish, WA, USA

Mar 202008

The speedometer gauge is not reading correctly. First, it was showing your speed as 120mph, when you were stopped. It was never accurate. Then one day, it just stayed at 0mph, even when you were moving. I had it fixed through a GM dealership, and they fixed the cluster. This part should be recalled. I have seen a lot of people with the same car, and same problem. GM needs to realize the danger with this defect. It is not a cheap fix either. I am saving my receipt in hopes that GM will realize the hazards with driving a car this way.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

May 222008

For two years the passive security system malfunctions and the vehicle wont start. We have to sit and wait for 20 minutes for the system resets itself. Chevrolet denies there is a problem and wants thousands of dollars to fix it. This is a common problem for this model vehicle. At first the problem happened only once a month. Now it is happening weekly. Please help..

- Paris, AR, USA

May 212008

Impala 6-cyl

Speedometer has gone haywire. It is not registering the correct speed. It is gone haywire like everybody else's.

- Flat Rock, AL, USA

Feb 022008

Impala 6-cyl

Speedometer stuck at 20 mph.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Nov 242007

Impala 6-cyl

My speedometer has gone crazy--sometimes works sometimes doesn't.

- Kingfisher, OK, USA

Nov 122004

Impala 6-cyl

Security light went on last month. It was taken in immediately for repair. I was told it was the ignitiion cylinder. The car also makes a vibrating noise on accelerator. I was told this was the drive shaft and the catalitic converter. All replaced. The car still made noise when left service at northeast auto center in philadelphia pa where it was purchased. Yesterday the light for security is back on. 2004 Chevy Impala very disappointed. Car has 55,000 miles. At 36K the radiator and water pump went during funeral procession.

- Bensalem, PA, USA

May 232005

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The vehicle caught fire in the dashboard area and then spread to the hood. The fire occurred two to three months after the vehicle was purchased. A relative sustained injuries to the hand due to the fire. The cause of the failure was electrical. There is no fire or police report. The vehicle was repaired, but the contact does not know the specifics of the repair work. Three months after the repairs were completed, the check engine light illuminated and the vehicle began vibrating when the brakes were depressed. This failure occurred while driving 20 mph or more. The brakes and the disc were replaced and aligned. The failure continued to occur and the brakes were replaced within a month. The mechanic stated that the disc failed which caused the brakes to fail. The contact detects the smell of fuel within the vehicle. The fuel gauge has failed to operate normally since the repairs were performed. The fuel gauge indicated that the fuel level was full; however, the engine shut off and there was no fuel in the vehicle. There was also the presence of fuel on the ground after adding fuel to the vehicle. The dealer has not diagnosed the cause of the fuel gage failure or the odor. The inspector stated that the vehicle may not pass inspection due to the fuel odor in the interior. Although the brakes were repaired twice, the vibration continued to occur. The engine size was unknown. The contact can provide receipts for all of the repairs that were performed, including an insurance report. There is no fire or police report. The current mileage is 81,000 and failure mileage was 45,000. Updated 08/15/07.

- Cypress , TX, USA

Oct 062005

Impala 6-cyl

On Oct 6th 2005, while driving the department issued 2004 Chevrolet Impala, police patrol squad car, I noticed a unfamiluar very strong foul odor when I would turn on the heater. Unknown to me at the time, but after I sufferred initially an inhalation injury which nearly killed me by sufficating me causing my blood pressure to escalate thereby causing me to suffer duel anyursm' of the upper thoracic vein and the abdominal vein. I was flown via flight-for-life helicopter to a trauma center, hospitalized in intensive care, left incapacited me for four months and without an income. I am now left with internal scar tissue on my aorta vein. My police supervisor visited me in intensive care in the hospital and informed me that the mechanic from the dealership which services our fleet of leased vehicle, inspection results indicated that the electrical system was overcharging the battery and as a result the battery began to overheat giving off battery acid fumes which explained the foul odor.

- Great Lakes, IL, USA

Oct 022006

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving to school, I went to pushing my cigarette lighter and when I did I noticed that there was an odd smell coming from the car, then I noticed smoke coming from under the console where you put the car in gear, then I had to pull over the car because there was so much smoke that I couldn't see and I could hear a crackling sizzling noise, so I pulled at the piece that covers up the gears and seen that the wires where burning it looked as if where the spring that light dynamite or something so I did the only thing I could do I poured my soda on the wires because I was scared the car might have blown up with me and my 10 mo. Old boy and 3 year old girl right there.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Nov 212005

Impala 6-cyl

2004 Impala headlights go out while driving. The dealer replaced the body control module. The consumer requested reimbursement from the manufacturer.

- Iron River, WI, USA