2005 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Impala:

2005 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 10 of 11)

Dec 222008

Impala

This past summer in June, the speedometer would read 40-80 mph when stopped/idle. Problem subsided after a few weeks. More recently, within the last 2 weeks, my speedometer in my 2005 Impala would gradually go down gradually during long distance travel (100mi+) on the I-10. To me, this is a very dangerous issue with the car.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Dec 162008

Impala 6-cyl

My 2005 Chevrolet Impala with the V-6 3800 engine has developed a problem where the speedometer has ceased to work properly. It either does not register any speed at all or it fails to return to zero when the car is stopped. In doing some research online there are numerous postings on edmonds.com regarding this defect. I have not been able to find any recall notices for this defect from General Motors. It is my opinion that this defect poses a serious safety concern because motorists like myself are unable to determine accurately the speed at which the vehicle is being operated. This poses a variety of potential dangers to the motorists operating the vehicle with the defective speedometers, other motorists on the roadways, pedestrians, and first responders at traffic accidents.

- North Richland Hills, TX, USA

Dec 172008

Impala

The speedometer reading on our 2005 Chevrolet Impala is inaccurate/malfunctioning. Sitting still at the stop light it reads 100 mph and other times 30 mph pulling out of the driveway it reads 70 mph and at other times it points straight down at the neutral indicator with no reading at all. Our vehicle has 76200 miles on it and he contacted the local dealership which in turn told us that GM would pay for the problem on vehicles with less than 80000 because it was so common but General Motors headquarters said since they were filling bankruptcy they would not pay for it and we were on our own. The local dealership said they could fix the problem for $500 to $700 dollars which is unacceptable. GM wants a government bailout at their customer's expense and their equipment malfunction. This is unacceptable!

- Harrah, OK, USA

Nov 202008

Impala

Gas gauge reads empty when car was just fueled. Speedometer at times reads 0 when I'm driving on the freeway. At times the speedometer will read 65 yet I'm zooming past cars so who knows what speed I am going.

- Reno, NV, USA

Nov 242008

Impala

I have a 2005 Chevy Impala.. for past two weeks my speedometer has been reading incorrectly. I was on the interstate doing 70 mph but it felt more like 50. The problem stopped for a couple of days but yesterday.. it took another turn. I was doing 35mph but the reading showed 0mph. It is now pointing in the up and down position and will not move. I have checked other forums and found that there are many many other Impala owners experiencing the same problem. This seems to me to be a factory default. There is a major possibility for serious accidents occurring due to this problem.

- Ft Hood, TX, USA

Nov 202008

Impala

I own a 2005 Chevrolet Impala with approx. 86,000 miles on it. My speedometer is going haywire(not consistent at all) and I am unable to correctly tell my speed. I know there are quite a bit of other GM vehicles with the same issue because there is a blog on the internet about them. I am concerned about this due to the fact that I have a 3 year old son and my wife with me a lot. GM said they will not pay for this problem to be fixed and a lot of people can not afford it($500-$800). I just hope GM will take responsibility and fix this issue at free of charge to the consumer before someone gets injured or even killed.

- Beaufort, SC, USA

Oct 292008

Impala

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. Sporadically, the speedometer on the instrument control panel becomes inoperative and displays inaccurate readings. As a consequence, the contact cannot accurately measure the speed she is driving. There is also a strong fuel odor emanating from the vehicle. She took the vehicle to a repair shop, but the failure could not be duplicated or remedied. The vehicle has not been properly repaired. The failure mileage was 100,000 and current mileage was 116,000.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Sep 202008

Impala

Temperature gage is working only part time, will increase abruptly and then degree just as fast. Last week the speedometer continued to increase past the numbers then decreased slowly throughout the day. I filled up with gas and the speedometer started working again but the temperature gage floated back and forth. This week the speedometer is on 90 when the car is off. Filled up with gas again hoping it would correct the speedometer again. Instead the speedometer dropped to the N position at the bottom and will move to 120 occasionally. Took the car to repair shop, had the sensor checked. Sensor is fine. Was told many have had this problem and is a defect with the cluster that GM will not recognize. This problem needs to be addressed. This is a real safety issue.

- Osceola, AR, USA

Jun 222008

Impala

The speedometer gets stuck you will be on the highway doing 65 and when you get off to stop it will say that you are going 65 while you are sitting still or it will not move at all it will say 0 while driving this is a instrument cluster issue and will be around $500 to fix but I do not have the money for this before this started the gas gage and temp gage started to mess up and bounce around.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Oct 182008

Impala

Speedometer has ceased to function properly. When car is turned off it's stuck at 80 mph and will peg itself out as the car speeds up. Upon research repair will cost 300+ dollars. Car has 55,450 miles. This will be repaired upon paycheck being received.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Sep 252008

Impala

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the speedometer was malfunctioning and would not register the correct speed. While driving approximately 30 mph, the speedometer would register 70-80 mph. Most recently, while driving at 45 mph, the speedometer registered more than 120 mph, which was off the meter. The dealer advised her to bring in the vehicle so the instrument cluster could be replaced. The manufacturer has not been notified. The current mileage was 75,545 and failure mileage was approximately 74,600.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 182008

Impala

My speedometer is reading 100 mph when I'm only going 40 - 50. When I come to a complete stop, the speedometer may move to 60. It's taken up to 3 - 4 days to move back down to the 0. then the same process will start all over again. The car also tends to drive sluggish when this is happening. Could it be the speedometer or transmission"?? I've been told to replace the cluster in the dash but will that prevent the sluggishness also"

- Madison, TN, USA

Sep 022008

Impala

1 week ago speedometer started malfunctioning reading at 120 while driving and went down to 60 at a stop. After 2 days went back down to 0 and the next day returned to 60 at rest and up to 120+ while driving. This makes it very difficult to accurately gauge your speed especially through school zones of 20-30 miles an hour and is unsafe. Contacted dealer and would cost $300 + for the part only. This seems to be a common issue and needs to be recalled. It was recalled on SUV's 2003-2005 why not cars of the same years?

- Fort Lupton, CO, USA

Mar 222008

Impala

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. Intermittently, when the heat or air conditioning is activated, the speedometer does not work properly. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by a dealer. The current mileage was 30,000 and failure mileage was 22,000.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 032008

Impala

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at an unknown speed, the contact glanced at the heat gauge, which read 260 degrees. She pulled over, shut off, and restarted the vehicle; however, the heat gauge still indicated 260 degrees. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic for repair and they offered to repair the cluster. The contact did not have the repairs done because she did not know the mechanic that well. The mechanic informed her that the cooling system was working properly. She took the vehicle home and scheduled an appointment with her mechanic. Her mechanic stated that everything was fine with the vehicle and no repairs were made. Currently, the speedometer in the vehicle has failed and the contact is not sure if her fuel gauge is working properly. The failure mileage was 42,250 and current mileage was 42,500.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Apr 012008

Impala

Speedometer quit working at about 60000 miles. It is part of an "instrument cluster" that costs $600. Sounds like it is a popular problem!!!

- Burleson, TX, USA

Oct 012007

Impala

Speedometer malfunctions. Sometimes it registers wrong speed, sometimes registers a speed even though sitting still. Began at about 55,000 miles. Did research and found to be a common problem but no recalls and no help whatsoever from GM.

- Waxhaw, NC, USA

Feb 092008

Impala

The speedometer stopped working while driving the car under normal driving conditions. It now sits near the gear indicator on the cluster next to neutral.

- Alvarado, TX, USA

Jul 092008

Impala

No crashes no incidents, just driving down the road and the speedometer and temp gauge went haywire. Speedometer would not read or register. Understand that this is a common problem, that Chevrolet acknowledges. This is a safety hazard that needs to be addressed by the gov.'t.

- Nyssa, OR, USA

Jun 172005

Impala

I have had all kinds of problems with my 2005 Chevy Impala. When I go to start my car it doesn't start, my lights dem out, there is a popping noise in the steering wheel, there is a loud noise when I turn it to the right, when I turn the A/C on there is a loud noise, and there is a rattle in the dash and glove box. My battery had to be replaced already. I hate my car cause I have had nothing but problems with it. I will never own a Chevy as long as I live.

- Lexington, KY, USA