CarComplaints.com Notes: Top complaints for the 2006 Chevy Impala include how the transmission slips, clunks and fails. Or how the power steering knocks and squeals. In other words, this car is a noisy bucket of eventual failure points.

2006 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Impala:

2006 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Jan 302015

Ignition key switch.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 242014

Impala

I've been experiencing the same problem with my 2006 Impala off and on for the last year, maybe more. The car will randomly give me an error of "engine power reduced." The car slows to a crawl, has no acceleration, the engine shakes and it sputters until the engine is turned off. I took it to a mechanic who said it was the tps sensor. He replaced the throttle body. The car ran fine for a few months and then it started again. Since I was getting the same codes, I took it back to the mechanic who informed me that it could be an electrical problem or it could have been caused by my battery, but there's no way to tell for sure without troubleshooting. I have since been to several mechanics, all who say the codes point to the throttle body, but they also agree that I shouldn't be getting these codes so quickly after replacing the unit - which cost over $300. I'm a single mother who works and goes to graduate school full time. I don't have the resources to carelessly dump money into a car. I've put up with it because I can usually pull over, turn the engine off, wait a minute and it will crank back up; however, it has gotten progressively worse. Last night, I was driving down the interstate when the console read "starting disabled service throttle." The engine then shut off while I was driving at highway speeds and left me stranded on the side of a dark highway, alone, with a car full of groceries and a son who was waiting on his mom to get home to put him to bed. Fortunately, I was on a road without a lot of other cars around or it could have been much more dangerous. I've done a lot of research and this seems to be a very common problem with GM cars. An internet search will reveal the same symptoms and the same results from dealers, all without a permanent fix. GM needs to investigate this issue which clearly affects a large number of cars across the GM brand!

- Darien, GA, USA

Jan 262015

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V355000 (electrical system) however, the parts needed were unavailable to perform the repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jan 202015

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system); however, the part was unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Portsmouth, OH, USA

Apr 032014

Impala 6-cyl

I've had an ongoing issue since this spring with an issue on traction control and the display reporting 'reduced engine power ". I've now had the throttle body sensor and power train computer module replaced. I'll be driving at a rate of speed on the highway of apx 60mph and then these error messages appear and the cruise kicks off. There's hesitation as I try to accelerate.

- Plattsmouth, NE, USA

Oct 232014

Impala 6-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to recall problem. The consumer stated after having the recall performed, the remote stopped working.

- Aliquippa, PA, USA

Dec 012014

Impala 6-cyl

When car is started low pressure oil light stop engine and car has ring chimes to tell you to stop driving car looked on line seems like a common complaint.I checked oil filled to proper level.

- Berlin, NJ, USA

Dec 122014

Impala 6-cyl

My gear shifter locked in the park mode after engine would start unable to shift into drive.

- Berlin, NJ, USA

Nov 072014

Impala 6-cyl

My vehicle has a safety recall for a ignition problem which will cause the vehicle key to move away from the on position and cause loss of engine pwer, no steering and no braking. I was not notified that my vehicle was included in this recall, I searched my VIN number and found the recall on my vehicle. General Motors failed to notify me of this deadly risk in my vehicle. I also have no information on where to take my vehicle fpor repairs.

- Garden City, MI, USA

Sep 232009

Impala 8-cyl

I purchased my 2006 Impala ss brand new in 2006. I've been a loyal GM customer my whole life. At 99,000 started experiencing transmission issues, slipping, and hard shifting... at 101,000 miles I was driving down the highway and my transmission stopped working. I refinanced my car to rebuild the transmission for $2,200. After the rebuild transmission was working ok. Then at 122,000 miles it stopped working again... it was snowing and I was stranded in the turn lane of a road with a speed limit of 55mph... I turned off my car let the engine cool down and back on at least 20 times... my car moved about 200 feet each time... an hour later I got back to my house that was 5miles from the failure. I cant afford to fix it now and I am still paying for the car. Its been sitting in my yard for 10 months. This issue is very dangerous and needs to be resolved. I also received a recall for my power steering hose, got it fixed and the brackets came loose from my frame causing my steering to get very hard. I pulled over and checked my power steering fluid at walmart and it was empty. I filled it and everything was working. The next morning I had no power steering again... my hose had rubbed on my frame making a hole. I went to the store and bought more power steering fluid but after I put it in my steering was making a loud sound and didn't turn well. I think it was damaged due to the leak. I too have a loud clicking sound coming from my dashboard when I turn on my car. I was told by the dealership it was the vent flap motor... $750 dollars to repair... part is only $65 the rest is labor... also when I first bought my car I had to get all 4door windows replaced (under warranty) due to improper window guide adjustment. And my automatic trunk release works off and on, my keyless entry only works 5 feet from my car with new batteries, and all tire pressure sens. Went bad$100 each help.

- Dinwiddie, VA, USA

Oct 202011

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. While attempting to start the vehicle, the vehicle hesitated. The failure occurred multiple times. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system); however, the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Cleavland , OH, USA

Oct 012014

Impala 6-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to lack of parts to complete recall notice.

- La Follette, TN, USA

Aug 152014

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The contact stated that the part needed to remedy the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experience a failure.

- Guntersville, AL, USA

Oct 012014

Impala 6-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to parts unavailable to complete recall. The consumer referenced recall # 14V355000.

- Wynne, AR, USA

Sep 212014

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning and caused another vehicle to crash into the front driver side of the contact's vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy and the air bag warning indicator illuminated. A police report was filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Griffin , GA, USA

Aug 112014

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at 4 mph, the engine lost power and crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The contact mentioned that the vehicle stalled on several occasions. A police report was filed and there were two injuries reported that required medical attention. The vehicle was towed and repaired but the specifics were not available. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Oct 062014

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unavailable. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Fairport Harbor, OH, USA

Aug 132014

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- West Blocton, AL, USA

Sep 202014

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number 14V355000 (electrical system). The contact believed that the remedy that the manufacturer was implementing with this recall was ineffective, since the actual failure was the ignition switch that needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware that the ignition switch failed to lock. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Ankeny , IA, USA

Sep 122014

Impala 6-cyl

First of all, I use my car to travel back and forth from school. I have noticed since I came home, stopping at stop lights, my car would cut off and then cut back on. Also, my radio has changed stations by itself. Then, my check engine light has been on. When I turn on my air or heat a knocking noise comes from my air vents and it last for about 5 minutes, I actually thought my car was about to blow up because I was not sure what was causing that. I hope this problem is resolved quickly.

- Maywood , IL, USA