2007 Chevrolet Impala drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Impala:

2007 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 012012

Impala

Started having trouble with my transmission a while back. If I was at a stop and tried to accelerate it was slowly take of then all of sudden slam into the right gear then take off. It also happened even if I didnt come to a complete stop and tried to go again. My check engine light came on after about a month of this happening. I had it checked. It was a shift solenoid. Since I was still under warranty I had it replaced. It was fine till about a two weeks ago 08/20/2013. Now my transmission is doing the same thing again.

- Pacific, WA, USA

Feb 202013

Impala

After stopping, I push on the accelerator, the engine revs but the transmission does not engage, after two seconds the car will slam into gear and violently lurch forward. Powerful enough to strain my neck. Very dangerous.

- Newport , OR, USA

Feb 192014

Impala 6-cyl

No heat in car, over heating, took to garage, it is head gasket. Very expensive to fix, only 53,000 miles.

- Phoenicia , NY, USA

Nov 052013

Impala 8-cyl

2007 Impala ss. Transmission hesitation occurs when going around 45-60 mph. Car semi-engages shifting, but then backs out, giving a chugging sensation while driving in that speed range. Higher speeds above 60 produces an incredible screech/whine noise. Currently in shop for transmission diagnostics. At 74,000 miles clutch was replaced due to it being cracked in half. GM has either mad poor transmission engineering, using shotty parts, or this transmission is overly underrated for the power of the engine.

- Casnovia, MI, USA

Mar 102011

Impala 6-cyl

First, when I slow down to turn a corner, I take my foot off the gas. After the turn, when I press the gas I have no power. It doesn't die, it just won't go anywhere for about 15-20 seconds, no power. That doesn't sound like a long time unless you are sitting in the middle of a busy intersection. I have to come to a complete stop for about 20-30 seconds, then take off. Sometimes it goes, but feels like it jerks into gear. That's ok at stop signs but stop lights that turn green as I approach can be dangerous. Also, if I turn a corner onto another street, it hesitates. And sometimes I have almost been hit from behind. People expect you to turn and proceed. When you just stop, they may not. I also noticed one day, when I just coast on a level road, my car sometimes accelerates for quite a while, instead of slowing down immediately. I once took my foot off the gas at 45 mph and coasted on flat road for 2.5 miles. The latest related problem is.. spring 2013, twice, I turned a corner and it just died. I had to pull over to the side of the road to get out of traffic. After a few minutes, it cranked back up. Thankfully, I was on a city street and not a four lane road. I also have problems with parking. I put my foot on the brakes and pull into parking spot. When I put it in park, it lunges forward. Or if I stop in traffic, sometimes it lunges after it stops. I have to make sure that I leave plenty of room in front for this problem. I think it has something to do with the computer allowing the gas to flow or stop. I had the transmission rebuilt and it still does it.

- Vicksburg, MS, USA

Aug 082013

Impala 6-cyl

When I put my car in park I cannot get the key to disengage from the ignition so that I am able to take the key out. I have tried jiggling the gear shift etc and it will not come out regardless of what I try.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jan 152013

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the vehicle exhibited a loud, abnormal noise as it abnormally accelerated. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The failure and current mileage was 78,000.

- Danville, GA, USA

Mar 192013

Impala 6-cyl

Started my vehicle as I went to pull off to drive my vehicle my car would not accelerate/pick up on speed. The car started putting. I pulled over because the car would no longer move, but was still running. My sister push me bumper to bumper to my mechanic only to find out it was my throttle body.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 032010

Impala 6-cyl

Occasionally, when starting from a stopped position the engine will rev up and then the transmission will kick in to gear. Occasionally it slips on hills also. We generally do not have to merge into high speed traffic but if the transmission slipped at that time there could be serious consequences. The dealer has been unable to fix the problem after five visits, and apparently will not do anything until they themselves experience the transmission slip.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Sep 122012

Impala 8-cyl

At a stop light. Feels like transmission is not in gear, engine revs 2500/3000rpm, then trans goes in gear. Told by dealer if using left foot on brake at a stop, this would cause the problem. They offered no help. Was told without codes there is no problem with transmission! when I got car it was leaking trans fluid.took it back to dealer, to have leak fixed. At another shop I use, while car was on lift you could see trans pan on valve body had been off. Trans has for sure been worked on! as you might guess it will not do this at the dealer.I let the car with them for 1 week, for them to drive.when I got car back they put all of 3miles on it.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

May 092012

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph the transmission failed. The traction control warning light was illuminated at the time of the failure. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic for inspection where they stated that they could not determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The dealer was notified and advised the contact that they were not familiar with the type of failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 012013

Impala 6-cyl

Car bucks when going from 0 mph. Brought car into dealer several times they checked it out. They didn't find a problem but car still bucks. Spoke to other owners, they have same problem. No response from General Motors that the problem exists. Problem started at @30000 miles. Car has 68000 miles now.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Jun 012009

Impala 6-cyl

Reported that car would jerk (kick into gear late) when accelerating from stop to start. At 74,000 we made our first claim with local dealer. They couldn't duplicate the concern. Brought car in two more time because it got worse. Felt like someone was hitting me from the back. My car often kicks out of gear on a left turn. On two separate occasions, I was almost T-boned. They never found the issue until 121,000. That was when they declared that the transmission needed to be replaced. GM doesn't want to cover the repair now that the vehicle is out ofwarranty. I have researched and found way too many transmission issues with these model vehicles. GM really should investigate this concern. I advise anyone to pester GM about this concern. Afterall, we are the consumers. Unfortunately it's too late for me, I don't trust their products anymore.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 142013

Impala

As I was driving the engine light came on and the display read reduced engine power. The car slowed down and resisted as I accelerated. I can only drive about 20 miles per hour. There is no warning and there is a decrease in acceleration. There was no warning and I have my child in the car. This is very dangerous.

- South Holland, IL, USA

May 092011

Impala 6-cyl

Slip in torque conversion around 30 to 45. Also, you'll be taking off from a stop and when you start to press the gas it delays, then slams into motion almost like being hit from behind. * did not know about this site. Had it to the dealer 3X, they said they found nothing wrong. It is sporatic and does not happen daily.

- Perkasie, PA, USA

Dec 232012

- Bedford, NH, USA

Nov 102012

Impala 6-cyl Diesel

Returning home from work on interstate noticed it took higher rpms to get up to the 65mph speed limit. After driving for a few minutes I stopped at a red light. The vehicle could then only get up to 40mph and lost power down to 10mph when I pulled over and called it a day. Currently at the shop with 10 different codes showing. Unfortunately I have had it jsut over 5 years and not in warranty any more.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Aug 242012

Impala 8-cyl

Exiting the dartmouth street parking garage (underground) on dartmouth St. Boston, MA. Exit ramp is a moderate incline. As I approached the garage attendant booth to pay parking fee, I let off the accelerator letting the car coast to a stop while I retrieved the parking time/date receipt. When I located the receipt (about 5 seconds) from the center console I looked up to find the car was rolling backwards down the ramp toward a concrete wall (by this time) approximately 15 mph. Note: I am a 50 year old, (male) retired police office and was trained in radar speed enforcement including certified in speed estimation and I am also "evoc" (emergency vehicle operator course) trained. I was able to stop the car before hitting the wall, another vehicle, or any pedestrians. I feel a tragedy could have occurred had someone been walking in the garage. The car seems to have no ability to "hill hold" when in "drive" at idle. I was shocked at how fast the auto accelerated backward. I have personally driven approximately 750,000+ miles without an at fault collision. The car seems to do this whenever on an incline and on a few other occasions had occurred in parking lots rolling (forward as well as backward) as soon as shifted out of "park" in the fraction of a second time that it takes to move my driving foot (right) from brake (due to park interlock) to accelerator. Note: This auto is a 2007 Chevrolet Impala ss with 5.3L V8 engine and four speed automatic transmission. My primary concern is that Impala are generally driven by elderly drivers with slower reflexes than myself. I have further found numerous online forum discussions of this issue by owners of all engine equipped Chevrolet Impala.

- Loudonville, NY, USA

Aug 012012

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the engine rpms suddenly increased as the vehicle failed to respond to acceleration attempts. In addition, the transmission hesitated to engage in gear but once it did, it would shift hard. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the tcc valve was leaking, causing transmission fluid to leak out of the torque converter. As a result, the transmission had to be rebuilt. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 37,000 and the current mileage was 39,000.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Aug 122012

Impala

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the key became stuck in the ignition with the vehicle engaged in park. The contact notified the dealer who advised that the shifter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 63,000.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA