5.6

2007 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Impala:

2007 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Apr 012010

Impala LT 3.4L V6

Complained to dealer about excess oil consumption. They said it was normal, so I kept on adding oil. Problem is getting worse and now out of warranty at above 100000 miles.

- , San Marcos, CA, USA

Jun 272011

Impala LT 3.5L

Bought the car with 18,000 miles on it. Ok until low oil light came on at 43,450 miles. Down 1.5 quarts. Dealer filled it, said drive it 1,500 miles. Drove it 1400 miles and oil was down a pint. Dealer said it's normal. I see there are many complaints like this regarding Chevrolet engines. Doesn't seem normal to me.

- , Kent City, MI, USA

Jan 312008

Impala LTZ 3.9L V6

I bought a new 2007 impala in June 2007 and from the time it was new it used excessive oil--like a quart in 3000 miles. I reported it to the dealer and they said it wasn't recognized as a problem until it used 1 quart in 2000 miles. They told me to keep checking it, which I have. I now have 47000 miles on it and it is using 1 quart in less than 2000 miles, so I talked to the dealer last week and they told me we would have to do an oil consumption test. Of course this requires them to change the oil and for me to bring it in frequently for them to check the consumption. To me there seems to be a problem here. I have a 2006 Buick with approx the same miles and in 3500 miles the oil on the dipstick is still on the full mark. Any one else have the same problem and have you had positive results from the dealer???

- , Sanford, MI, USA

May 232011

Impala LTZ 3.9L

I service my own automobiles. With my vehicle being so new, I would check my oil level once per month. I notice that I loose 2 to 3 quarts of oil in between oil changes. I have brought this to my GM dealership and we are going through an oil consumption monitoring program. I feel like the dealer can only do some much. It seems like GM needs to do something. I have seen other instances of the same problem, yet there is no report noted by the dealership. I assume since I have the 3.9L LTZ engine, when the cylinders drop from 6 to 3, there must be some oil loss there. I see no leaks, and I don't see any smoke. The engine is not going through a break in period, and the mileage is much under 100,000 miles. I should not be using any oil what so ever. We have a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. All I can do is hope that GM will actually do something about it.

- , Christiansburg, VA, USA

Aug 012009

Impala LX

Car is using excessive oil every oil change- no leaks detected. dealership mechanics not concerned. changed the valve seals and still no solution- dealership brushes it off by saying is in normal range as studies indicate the sports cars consistently driven with rpm's in the red range will do this. I do not drive a sports car and definately never 100 miles an hour consistently. Any suggestions on how to deal?

- , Johnson City, TN, USA