2008 Chevrolet Impala drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Aug 092016

Impala 6-cyl

My car stopped on 630. It said disabled full throttle. I had to sit for 15 minutes before it would start. I then hear a clicking noise that started at 830am and stopped at 832am. I've had nothing but problems with this car. Do not buy any Impala, unless you have a lifetime of fixable recalls. It's hot in Arkansas and to stall for 15 minutes with children in the car is unacceptable. When you call Chevy customer service, they can not help you with anything. They just take your VIN number and state oh I don't see a recall for your vehicle, although you read 5598 problems/same issue you are having with your car. Erratic transmission is the whole problem. So to Chevrolet and company please think about families and children when attempting to sale a new car with used products. It's not cool and the sad part is you will not fix it. Warrant my behind Chevy need a lifetime of recalls for everyone on all cars. May jesus be with your company. Sincerely a mother of 3 boys.

- North Little Rock, AR, USA

Jun 062016

Impala

Communication between gas petal and throttle body breaks down causing vehicle to display reduced engine power causing vehicle to slow to 20 to 30 mph instantly. Happen on highway almost causing accident due to slowdown. Should be safety recall before someone or myself gets killed.

- Taunton, MA, USA

May 012016

Impala

While driving my car for only two minutes, the reduced power sensor came on and traction control came on also. My car would not go above 20 mph. Went back to normal after an hour. Very concerning if I was on the interstate when this happened.was on a back country highway when this happened.

- Heathsville, VA, USA

Sep 142015

Impala

While driving my car my car stalled as if it was in neutral. I stopped and tried to put the car in park, but nothing happened. I tried reverse and the car wouldn't move. It crakes up but there are no shifting of gears. I had to replace my gas tank as well as my pedals for this car. Please help.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Feb 042016

Impala

I started see a warning light on in my car that read "engine power is reduced, service traction control" so I sent GM an email regarding this and maybe a month or so later I received a notice that said the gas throttle sensor will cause this to appear when it is bad. They advised if I felt this was the problem I could take it to a GM dealer and have it check, but if it wasn't they would not cover it and I would be responsible for the cost of the diagnostics test. I took my car and took my car, along with the notice to sunrise Pontiac on 12/31/15. I was told that I needed a thermostat a gas pressure sensor. The cost to repair these items would run me almost $900 and I could not afford that T this time. I asked the technician, which could I get away with not fixing right now and he said I needed to go ahead and replace the thermostat to get the check engine light off. I had that work done and the light still was on, as well as, the warning lights. So I contacted GM again and advised them of the situation. They paid for me to go to serra Chevrolet to get another diagnostic done. This time I was told I needed an app sensor, gas pressure sensor, thermostat (which had already been replaced), and a temperature sensor, all of which would run me $1300. I told them I could not afford that and left. I contacted GM once again and explained what was told to me and asked why the sensors would not be covered when they were apart of the gas throttle body? now I'm getting a warning that says "starting disabled service throttle " and my car is literally cutting off while I'm driving. I feel like this is a matter that GM should be willing to repair for their consumers to prevent accident or death. I 've read on google that several Impala owners are experiencing the same thing. Also, while I'm driving my gear control is popping out. This is my only means of transportation.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jul 012015

Impala

Transmission problems vehicle jerks hard after coming from a complete stop. This is a safety issue on this vehicle. This safety issues can be a danger if vehicle is out in the middle of on coming traffic. This is a major problem and has a issues on most Chevrolet Impala. This problem has Accord in moving traffic. This problem Accord the second month after vehicle was bout from dealership. Dealership says there is no warranty on vehicle

- Belleville, MI, USA

Jul 102015

Impala

The vehicle jerks after take off from a stop and loses speed in traffic.

- Belleville, MI, USA

Aug 052015

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the transmission gears hesitated to change and the gears were slipping. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 262015

Impala

I was on the 10 freeway in los angeles heading West in the far left lane doing 65 miles an hour all the sudden my car lost power drop down to 10 miles an hour was almost rear ended. The engine power reduced message appeared on my dashboard. I contacted the dealership they told me there was nothing they can do I contact a GM they said they couldn't do nothing I was reading on their blogs this is an ongoing issue with multiple people so the yeah this is a big safety concern and seems to be a manufacturing issue. Please help!

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

Aug 032015

Impala

Was on my way home from work and the transmission started slipping out of gears. Came to a stop at a traffic light and when the light turned green I could not go toward. Engine just revved. Had the car towed and was told I needed to replace transmission control solenoid because that was the issue. Had part replaced only to find the tranny itself went. Did some research and it looks like this is a very common problem and I am not the only one experiencing this issue. Why isn't this issue or defect under recall when its such a common problem and very costly as well?

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jul 262015

Impala

When taking off the vehicle would jerk into gear after a slight sputter. You have to let the transmission get fully hot (running for 10-15 minutes even on a hot day) for it not to jerk when pulling off or let it slightly coast before giving gas to keep from jerking. Once it's good and hot I have not seen any other problems.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 212015

Impala

Traction control needs service message displayed, then throttle disabled message displayed shutting the engine off going down the road. So therefor no power steering, brakes etc. Once pulled onto shoulder car would not crank. Had to wait five minutes until the gauges flickered and then car was able to be restarted. This is highly dangerous if not where to pull off or being followed closely. Not to mention not power steering assist or brake assist. This could very easily cause a crash and there for should be a recall issued before people are injured or killed by this!

- Griggsville, IL, USA

Jun 132015

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving down the street and out of nowhere the engine light came on and said engine reduced power. The car seemed to slow down and not have power. If I came to a stop and began to drive again, the car barely accelerated and the transmission jerked every single time it shifted. I had every car going around me down the busy street, because the car would barely go. I was worried I wouldn't even make it home and that the transmission was going to have serious problems along with the engine as it jerked roughly with every gear change. This is something that needs to be recalled immediately! it couldn't have happened at a worse time, as I just purchased this car a few weeks ago, have my first child on the way, and just got a house.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 202015

Impala 6-cyl

While driving my car the speed reduced itself from 40mph to 5 mph and the check engine light came on along with reduced engine power across my dashboard. The car started shaking and jerking. It then shut off while I was driving it. I had it towed the next day to the repair shop and they said a sensor was bad in the gas pedal and replaced the whole pedal. 4 days later it did the same thing. Again it started shaking and jerking then shut itself off. I took it back to the repair shop but by the time they could read the codes the car had been shut off long enough that they couldn't find anything. They cleaned the throttle body and gave it back. The next day it did the same thing. I again took it back and did not shut it off til they read the codes. It read the throttle body was bad. They replaced it and gave the car back. 30 miles later, it started all over again. I have spoke to General Motors and they refuse to do anything about this issue even though there are several forums on the web with Impala dating back to 2005 having this same issue. This is going to cause an accident and hurt/kill people if its not addressed soon.

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Feb 232015

Impala 6-cyl

I let me 2008 Chevy Impala warm up as the windchill is around -35 degrees below zero. I started out of the parking lot, when all of a sudden my message display said "reducing engine speed", then it said "service disabled, disabled service throttle". then the veh came to a complete stop and left me stranded in the middle of a parking lot! there are no towers available at all till tomorrow morning either. Tried jumping starting the vehicle - but to no avail. Called a Chevy dealer and they had no idea what was happening with it.

- West Seneca, NY, USA

Jan 282015

Impala 6-cyl

The transmission slips and will not allow the car to speed up when taking off from a dead stop. It will then suddenly rev up and take off or the wheels will spin. This has happened many times in a day and then be fine for a few days. It works fine if shifted manually. Very dangerous when crossing intersections and not knowing if there will be any power to accelerate. The sudden jerk is hard to deal with in the Wisconsin slippery weather conditions. I have seen many complaints on the web for the same issue.

- East Troy, WI, USA

Dec 312014

Impala

On this day I was driving normal speed, climate and roadway was dry and free of debris. The traction control light came on and the car began to shift hard when accelerating after a stop. Today, January 5, 2015 while operating under normal speed and dry climate the check engine light came on along with traction control, which has remained on since the initial incident. The car began jerking and the engine shut off while traveling at a rate of 40mph. I was almost hit by the vehicle behind me, however thankfully managed to pull to the shoulder of the roadway. My children were in the car with me. I shut the car off in hopes that the lights would reset, but they did not. I have contacted GM and in my opinion they couldn't care less about this issue. I have researched several online forums and see that this appears to be an issue with many Impala owners. A few even stated they had wrecked their vehicles due to the engine shutting down while experiencing the exact same issues. Why has this issue not been addressed? I see reports dating back to 2010. The same danger that warranted an ignition switch recall is happening in these cases as well, these cars are shutting off while being driven.

- Gordonsville, TN, USA

Oct 102014

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that when coming to a stop, the vehicle jerked without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 12V377000 (suspension) and 14V355000 (electrical system) however, the part needed for the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,066.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Apr 102014

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that when depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle jerked without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 66,460.

- St. Joseph , MO, USA

Sep 252014

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle jerked when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system); however, the parts needed for the repair were unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Clinton , IA, USA