2008 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Apr 102013

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle independently decelerated. The contact's traction control light immediately illuminated after the failure occurred. The contact took the vehicle to an independent mechanic, who stated that the accelerator pedal and gear shift were both replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacture was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 202014

Impala 6-cyl

While accelerating the car lost the ability to continue accelerating all at once which caused a jerking motion of the car causing me(the driver) to be thrown forward hitting my head on the steering wheel. It all happened very fast and the reduced engine power and traction control message appeared on the dash board and is still on the dash board. As I said it all happened very fast but I was able to brace myself slightly which is the only reason I was not seriously injured. This issue which now after speaking to my car mechanic and me seeing many other people having the same issue after doing some research online is a death sentence to someone. Someone is going to die from the car losing the ability to accelerate all at once along with a jerking motion that makes you want to have a foot on the gas and a foot on the brake to be able to stop should the car take off on it own.

- Woodlyn, PA, USA

Oct 122013

Impala 6-cyl

Ignition failure and associated power loss occurred while driving on a crowded expressway after hitting a bump in the left lane. A very heavy key chain was in the ignition at the time. With no signals, flashers, or power steering, using only rapidly fading inertia for power, I had to make my way over to the right lane and on to the shoulder through thick, unyielding 70 mph traffic. Terrifying; collision narrowly missed.

- Oak Park, IL, USA

Dec 022013

I have a 2008 Chevrolet Impala ltz. I have had several occasions now when my car has started flashing "service stabilitrak" "engine power reduced" "service airbags" and then all the corresponding lights come on. One of the times the vehicle flashed all of those warnings, the lights came on and the car died, while I was driving. It lost all power and it took everything I had to steer the vehicle off the road. I had my four year old with me that time and was scared I was not going to be able to get us to a safe spot to sit and wait for help. The most recent incident happened last evening on my way home from work. I was driving on the freeway going about 75mph, the warnings flashed and then my car lost power and felt as though it was not handling the road as well as it should. I live in mn and we are in the middle of winter now. I need my car to be safe and I rely on this car to get my son and I to where we need to go safely! this is the only vehicle I have and cannot afford for something to happen to it. I have been reading several forums about others that this is happening to and can't help but feel there has to be something more to the situation. I would feel horrible if something ever happened to my family or anyone else because of my faulty vehicle!! this needs to be figured out and taken care of.

- Dayton, MN, USA

Jul 162013

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while traveling 65 mph, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power as the traction control warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 102,348. The VIN was unavailable.

- St. Louis , MO, USA

Dec 082013

Impala 6-cyl

In June 2012 I had this problem error message read: "engine power reduced " as I was driving 55 mph on highway mph fell below to 40 I had to get off highway. I had this problem fixed so I thought it cost me about 360 dollars. Same exact recurring problem same error message today 12/09/13. This is ridiculous GM has to know this is not safe. Dealership will not repair again at their own expense. Too much money for me to continue paying over N over again. They need to recall this car it's outrageous! can someone please help us?!

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Aug 132013

My check engine light comes on, I took it to auto zone to diagnose, it's my accelerated pedal position, I just had this replaced maybe 2 years ago because it did the same thing, now this I don't think should be a common thing but it is, and as dangerous as this is I think it's more of a defect on GM's side. There needs to be some type of recall or replacement for free.

- Spencer, OK, USA

Aug 042013

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 75 mph, there was a loss of engine power with the illumination of the warning indicator. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road where the engine was shut off. Upon restarting, the vehicle resumed without the illumination of the warning indicator. The failure recurred intermittently whenever driving uphill. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the accelerator pedal position sensor was replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Portage, IN, USA

Jul 312013

I was just driving and the check engine light popped on. In the message box it said engine power reduced, and the traction control light also came on. I have no idea what's going on. I couldn't pick up speed, when I tried to it would jerk. I've never had any problems out of my car until now.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Jul 132013

Impala 6-cyl

A few months ago, while driving my vehicle the service stabilitrak warning came on and engine power was reduced causing a safety hazard on a busy road. Following instructions from GM, my mechanic cleaned connections on the pedal relay. The same problem occurred this past Saturday while driving on the highway, nearly causing a collision. I have been told the repairs to fix this issue will run close to $1,000. I have also read many forums on the internet indicating this is a consistent problem with Impala's. it is my belief that this should be addressed with a safety recall.

- Livonia, MI, USA

May 032013

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the accelerator pedal would have to be replaced. After the repair was performed, the traction control and power reduction warning lights illuminated as the failure continued. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 222013

On June 22, 2012 as I was driving approximately 40 mph, the reduced engine power and traction control message popped up on the dash. I know my car slowed down a lot and then picked up speed again. I notice that each time I pressed on the petal to stop at a light or stop sign the car would jerk forward. I did not think too much of it until my husband then drove it and said the same thing happened to him and the car was driving really rough. I did some research and see that lots of Chevy owners have been experiencing the same problem. Please enforce a recall as this is not safe especially when you are driving on a freeway.

- Duncanville, TX, USA

Jun 182013

Impala 6-cyl

As I was driving, all of a sudden the service traction control light came on and then engine power reduced light came on. This caused my car to slow down without warning which could have been a dangerous situation had I been on a busy highway which fortunately I wasn't. I read up on this and noticed that this is happening quite often and this should really be remedied before an unfortunate death or injury occurs from this.

- Coleman, GA, USA

May 102013

I have a 2008 Chevy Impala. Starting last month (May 2013) the service traction light and reduce engine power lights started coming on. I took it back to the place where I purchased the vehicle and it came back that it was the accelerator pedal. It was replaced and 5 days later the lights were back on again. I called the shop and they told me to bring it back to them on Monday because they were closed Saturday and Sunday. I took the car back to the shop and the lights weren't on. They told me that they could not get a reading on the car and to come pick it up. I drove off the lot and 3 days later the lights were back on. This has happened every week since they replaced the accelerator pedal. When I took it in initially they said it was either the accelerator pedal or the throttle. On Friday June 14th the car stopped the service traction system light, reduced engine power light and starting disabled service/check throttle light came on and the car stopped. It was still running but when I pressed the accelerator pedal it would not move. I cut it off and sat for about 10 minutes. I started it and drove straight to the lot it was Friday at 4:45 pm they closed at 5:00 the guy said bring it back Monday (wow really). I parked the car again all weekend didn't start it until Monday. The lights were off when I got in it on Monday as soon as I backed out of my drive way the lights popped back on and it would only go 40 mph. Luckily the place is about 3 miles from my house when I got there they weren't open yet so I sat there. When they finally opened I drove in and told the guy who I was. The drove the car around several times and could not get the lights to come back on. It is now Tuesday and I still don't have my car back. They say that they took it to the dealership to have them look at it. I'm not sure what to do at this point I need my car to get back and forth to work.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 282012

Traction control loss of power while driving warning lights.

- Petaluma, CA, USA

Dec 072011

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while driving approximately 65 mph, the engine power reduced rapidly. There were a combination of two warning messages displayed on the instrument panel indicating engine power reduction and throttle picktal. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. Upon restarting the vehicle resumed as normal. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the throttle picktal was replaced. The failure recurred three times and the vehicle was currently being diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Forrest City , AR, USA

Apr 282013

On 4/28/13, while turning into church parking lot, traction control and check engine lights came on. Computer check the next day showed code 2127. The computer was cleared and this problem code did not reappear. On 5/28/13, while driving on a flat country road at about 50 mph, traction control and check engine lights again came on. I had to drive approx. 20 miles to get back to my mechanic. Part of the computer response during the this time was to reduce engine power. This was noticeable on any minor hill. Again, my mechanic checked the computer diagnostic and said code 2127. I took my car to my dealer 5/29/13 and they replaced the accelerator pedal assembly.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 112012

I currently drive a 2008 Chevy Impala, I've only had the car 1 1/2 and not even a year after I purchased it, I start experiencing the (tcs) traction control sensor - which alternatively reduce the speed of the engine; it happens sporadically, ... I took it to auto zone to have a diagnostic performed on the car, and they reader said it was due to a cylinder 5 misfire.... my car is a 6 cylinder, it is dangerous when driving on the highway as when the (tcs) does come on' the reduce engine speed is well under the highway speed limit. Other concerns that arise is that sense this sensor has been own, it' has accumulated other sensors' (ABS) (!) and the throttle pedal sensor. I have reached out to the GM to see if there was any recall on this, and was advise that nothing has been done. I think this is a huge danger, as this is a commonly used car in the U.S & if there has been several complaints thus far over the same issue, why hasn't anything been done to resolve the issue" what if you've worked hard to drive the vehicle you want;& have to pay out of cost; other than basic maintenance"

- Columbia, SC, USA

May 222013

Impala 6-cyl

The car had been leaping forward when you would depress the accelerator pedal at a stop light or stop sign. I was driving down the street and the word engine power reduced appeared along with the check engine light and several days later the check engine lite went out. Researched the NHTSA website and internet and found that several complaints had been logged along with several service bulletins. I called the Chevy dealership where the car had been purchased and was told to bring the vehicle in for service. After arriving at the dealership on Saturday May 25th and stating the service bulletin number. The dealership told me that their are many bulletins out there. However the dealership was provided a number but failed to lookup the bulletin. The issue was a failed code P2138 set. Due to a faulty accelerator position sensor. Replaced pedal. The first price quoted was less than $200 and the total bill was $280.77. An accelerator pedal is a part that is designed by the makers of an automobile that should not be faulty, how could an owner cause an accelerator pedal to be faulty or bad. This needs to be a national investigation.

- East Chicago, IN, USA

Feb 182013

Impala 8-cyl

2008 Impala ss: Often when I try to accelerate from a stop the car feels sluggish and does not accelerate. I talked to a mechanic and this is a common defect with these vehicles. I figured by now there would have been a recall since this is so common, but I suppose there have to fatalities and lawsuits in order for the manufacture to step in.

- Sarasota, FL, USA