2009 Chevrolet Impala brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Impala:

2009 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 242013

I was driving through a hilly/ curvy area of road when my reduced engine power, traction control, and throttle body disabled message popped up. Just then I have no power, no brakes and no steering, at all! I almost crashed with my two kids in the car! upon looking up this issue I find that it is a very common issue in Impala. Some people have had this issue while passing cars, or the freeways and more. To me this is quite a safety concern since you have no power to do anything...nothing at all. I don't see how there is still no recall on this issue when there are so many reported problems and a huge safety risk!!

- Fort Gratiot, MI, USA

Apr 242013

Impala 6-cyl

While merging onto a two lane highway my Impala suddenly lost power and I received a "low engine power" warning and then " service traction control" the check engine light comes on and the car runs roughly at reduced power - you need to pull over and shut the car off until you can start it again. This is a very dangerous issue that GM refuses to acknowledge. In this instance I had my daughter in the car - I also lost the power brakes. I have been to two Chevrolet dealers and a Buick dealer because this has happened several times over the past year and a half. They replaced my throttle body, oil sensor, battery and something else and charged me over $2000 for the three visits and I am still experiencing the issue. I have also been to a local repair shop and had the wiring harness changed and had several diagnostics done. After all this the problem still exists. I normally don't write letters but, this is a very dangerous situation and many others are experiencing the same thing based on the message boards I have read. My concern is that GM refused to help or issue a recall. My fear is that someone gets seriously hurt or killed before GM answers for this. This is not good for GM. My hope is that someone finally addresses this issue before someone is killed. In my last communication with GM - I was told to take my car to a dealer for a diagnostic at my own expense. So, basically I am on my own and they offered to do nothing. Just not right!

- Scituate, MA, USA

May 242013

Impala 6-cyl

The first time my engine control lights turned on was when I was backing up out of a parking space. As time went by the lights started to come on continuosly. The lights kept telling me to service traction control. Then the check engine light came on. I then took my car into friendly Chevy in Minnesota. They did 3000 dollars worth the work and never fixed the problem I went in for.the lights are still coming on and it scares the life out of me.. I paid 9,000 for it. Also put in $3000 into it for repairs. What a piece of junk. I tried to take it back but they said there was nothing I could do about it except trade it in for $3000 less then what I paid for it.absolutely unacceptable!!! I will never buy another Chevrolet again. Terrible service.

- Fridley, MN, USA

May 062013

Impala 6-cyl

About 2 weeks ago my service traction control light appeared on the dash. Being the person that I am I was very concerned with this issue and took it to have it checked by the dealership. They told me that this will occasionally come on with the amount of rain we had in our area.they said when it has the opportunity to dry out it will go off. Well to date it has not gone off but stays on the majority of the time. Now it is having fun with the reduce power light which basically slows down the car. Not only are the flip flopping but when I push the brakes it sometimes acts as if it will catch but then let go and catch again. How scary is this when you feel your brakes will not stop the car" this is not a good feeling. Called the dealership to get an appointment and it will cost me $85 to $100 to have this put on a machine to see what the problem is. And get this just like everyone else this is not a covered problem. My question is why" I have tried very hard to stick with Chevrolet products but this is really making me rethink my decision. Everyone seems to be having the same issues with these alerts and sensors. I am not one to sink a whole lot of money into a car with repairs, I will get rid of it immediately. I maintain my car on a regular basis.

- Conway, SC, USA

May 152013

Impala 6-cyl

My traction control light came on along with the ABS light and the information center said service traction control. The dealer will not do anything with out me paying for it. It appears from my research this is a common problem with the Impala. Mine did not shut down but I am sure that is not far off.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Apr 072013

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving on the hwy when the message appear on the boar "engine power reduce " I was scared because I have never had that problem. I when online and saw that people were having the same problem. It was weird because they all seen to be in the same month like if it was program to happen. So I want an explanation on what's going on with my car" what's the message about? do I have to change the motor " I just don't know what to do anymore this car has a lot of problem I just want some answers. Thanks for reading.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 152012

Impala 6-cyl

Was driving 35 mph, in a 40 mph zone, steering locked up and hit a curve..could not steer, then after I hit curve. Steering went back to normal..I'm not going to drive a car thats unsafe...

- Brewster, OH, USA

Sep 282012

I was driving and when I brake I notice a violent shaking in the steering wheel and the car also shakes.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 232012

After braking to make a turn, the following warnings came on: Reduced engine power, service stabilatrak, and traction control off. Plus the engine warning light came on. Fortunately no accident occurred from this and I did experience reduction in engine power. These warnings remained on from the onset until this morning, 06/25/12, when I checked it again. Now the warnings are not there. I started the car and moved it to see if they would come back on and so far, nothing. I have read that there have been numerous complaints of this problem with GM vehicles particularly this model. I want to add our vehicle to the complaint list due to the uncertainty of dependability of the car and the potential for serious problem and potential for accident.. I hope that with enough complaints, a recall will be issued by GM.

- Saint Clair, MO, USA

Jul 132011

When slowing down at any speeds above 30 mph at times too often I'm getting a violent shaking of the steering wheel left to right about 1" in both directions. It's not causing me to lose control of the vehicle but it is noticeable when riding and doesn't feel nor look normal at all! it feels like the anti-lock brakes system isn't working correctly - releasing/compressing fast enough.

- Portland, OR, USA