7.1

2. replace lock cylinder, ignition switch (1 reports)
2003 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Malibu:

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Oct 102010

Malibu LS V6

ELECTRICAL SYSTEM WAS POOCHED WHEN I GOT THE CAR BUT DID NOT REALIZE IT UNTIL I NEEDED TO USE THE REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER ... DID NOT WORK. ALSO FOUND OUT THAT THE HEATED SEATS, POWER SIDE MIRRORS, SEATS ALSO DID NOT WORK

- , Cambridge, Ontario, canada

Dec 002000

Malibu 3.2L

replaced lock cylinder. Switch would not turn off. Cylinder shot and loose.

I believe all my electrical problems and fuel pump problems were caused

by the lock cylinder. GM knew about this problem in 2001. They did nothing

then and plan to do nothing now.

- , Enfield, CT, USA

May 012007

Malibu V6

sometimes you turn on the car and you hear it beep and you know that some off the doors whill lock some wont. then sometimes all the doors will lock. So when i hear a little beep i know something not going to work. is like my car has its own mind and plays with me. that sucks because sometimes i don't look to make sure doors are locked. also the horn will sound by itself. please help

- , Lancaster, PA, USA

Aug 172010

Malibu V6

My AC hasn't bee working right for a while. All of a sudden, the AC indicator light will go out and the air will get warm (I live in the South!). It usually comes back on after a while of after I pound the AC button long enough. Recently though, my car takes almost a full two second for the engine to turn over and the very same time I noticed this, the headlight low beams went out. I'm not a mechanic but this sounds like a fairly serious electrical problem to me. Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem???

- , Fayetteville, GA, USA

Aug 182009

Malibu 3.1L V.6

There are (at least) 2 different electrical problems with my car, although they may stem from one core issue. First, the radio does not turn off when I shut the car off. Second, and this is the big one, my AC turns itself off and on when driving. It has to be either a loose connection or an intermittent short, since the car isn't fancy enough to have a specific temperature thermostat setting where you can set the temp to, say, 78 degrees and the climate control switches on and off automatically.

It'll roll along fine then the indicator light on the AC button will go out. A few minutes later it'll come back on then do it again. And again. I haven't noticed it behaving any differently if I go over bumps in the road, as it could conceivably do if it were just a loose connection.

This is a gigantic pain since I have a 45 minute commute and it's Phoenix in August.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 122008

Malibu LS 3.1L

I have the same problem related to a long delay in the radio, heater controls, power windows, and headlights of my car when I start it. Is there a solution because no one seems to know??

- , Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Jul 152008

Malibu

I also had a "service vehicle soon" light come on,then soon afterward when I would start my car the radio,dash gauges,headlights have a delayed start..Sometimes up to ten mins. before they are functioning properly..

The headlights thing is a major problem,since I work nights and need them to drive home after work.

Is this a electrical problem or what???

Should Chevy behaving a recall because of these problems???

- , Shoshoni, Wyoming, USA