2004 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Malibu 6-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Malibu. Car was totaled and junked before electrical problems. Requesting to be removed from list

- East Longmeadow, MA, USA

Malibu 6-cyl

Consumer writing in regards to 2004 chevorlet Malibu recall.

- Shinnston, WV, USA

Malibu 4-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to ignition key recall notice and consumer seeks reimbursement and compensation for loss. The consumer stated the recall notice arrived, too late. Her daughter was driving, when the veered off the road and hit a tree. The vehicle was totaled.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Aug 012012

Malibu

Since 2012 I have nothing but problems with my Malibu. Power steering going out causing the whole front end to become unstable, causing the car to pull the left and the right. Hard to keep it centered; causing busted belts in tires, bad brakes, torn up rotors. Fuel gage not working properly, traction control on break censor going off and on. Ignition switch not working properly, I have received 4 recall notices so far and I know there are more to be had. But no dealer ship seems to have any parts to fix this car. This car is a death trap. I feel as though every time I strap my self into my car, I am setting myself up to be hurt or killed. I need to get this car fixed. If not I need someone to get me new one.

- Huntington, IN, USA

Sep 012014

Malibu 6-cyl

While increasing speed, the battery light and engine light come on. The power steering stops working for a few seconds and the dash lights go out. The lights go of and the power steering starts working like normal. There is still electrical power to the rest of the car (radio works, brakes work, interior lights still work, etc.) I replaced the battery and had the charging system inspected, nothing wrong with it. Alternator is good, battery is good. No shop can explain why this happens, even the Chevrolet dealer. It doesn't matter the speed I am going, it always does this. Driving on the interstate I lost power to the steering and went into the ditch to avoid an accident. The dealer states there is nothing wrong with the car, and cannot diagnose the problem. I have came close to totaling my car several times. I had my kids in the car when it lost steering on the interstate. This could have cost us our lives. I'm scared to drive this car but have to. This complaint is my last option before contacting a lawyer. I hope this can be resolved through this complaint.

- Janesville, WI, USA

Oct 012014

Malibu 6-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to GM recall #13036* ld the consumer stated the recall fix, did not fix the problem. The consumer stated he did not know, if the brake lights worked and the cruise control rarely worked. The traction control and ABS light was on. The consumer returned to the dealer. An inspection revealed a problem was speed sensor on the right front wheel, which was not related to the recall. The cost to replace the sensor was $460.

- Pierre, SD, USA

Sep 042006

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the electrical locks failed and the doors failed to lock. In addition, the windows failed to open or close. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Magnolia, AL, USA

Sep 182013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 70 mph, the brakes activated independently and the engine stalled. The vehicle was able to restart after several attempts. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), but the part was not available to perform the repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Downey , CA, USA

May 262013

Malibu

The contact owned a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While traveling through a stop sign at an unknown speed, another vehicle crashed into the passenger side of the contact's vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact stated that there were additional items on the key ring at the time of the crash. A police report was filed. The contact sustained a bruised knee. The vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Jul 062012

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact noticed smoke underneath the vehicle and it became difficult to shift gears from drive into reverse. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing, but was not repaired. The contact was later notified of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), 14V153000 (steering), and 14V224000 (power train). The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000. The consumer was informed the vehicle needed a new wiring harness. Updated 12/04/14 the consumer stated the recall has not been performed. Updated 02/04/15.

- Henderson, TN, USA

Nov 012006

Malibu 6-cyl

I have 3 recall letters and each states the parts aren't available. Those recalls are:14116,14152;13036. These recall repairs state that they affect the safety of this vehicle and yet we are forced to drive a vehicle with possible life threatening issues while the parts are not available. The safety issues aside, the recalls affect the value of this product by the implication it's defective. These issues should be dealt with swiftly as to minimize possible fatalities and if no parts are available, then a safe rental vehicle of like kind should be available at no cost to the owners.

- Atascosa, TX, USA

Jul 152013

Malibu 6-cyl

In summer 2013 I elected to replace both headlamp casing with a new headlamp kit because of internal discoloration and yellow liquid fluid seeping from daytime running lamp. Approximately 1 week later the new daytime running lamp casing melted and burnt the new bulb. The bulb was replaced at no cost. At my next service 5-6 months later I inquired about replacing the defective headlamp casing because the bulb on both daytime running lamp burnt through its plastic casing, again causing internal discoloration of headlamp kit. I was told warranty expired. The dealership sent an inquire to GM regarding such defect but I am told there was no response from GM and I have no recourse. I no longer use daytime running lamp. I purposely shut off the daytime running lamps (which defeats the purpose) for fear the bulb will continue to melt the casing causing further discoloration and burn the bulb. This is not how the product should be made; poor craftsmanship and poor workmanship.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

May 142014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed for the repairs were unavailable. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Mineola, TX, USA

Nov 012013

Malibu 4-cyl

After purchasing my Malibu I have had multiple incidents where I was unable to unlock my doors electrically from inside/outside (after a fight with the dealer that issue was fixed after being told I needed to bring the car back and forth for 3 weeks), since then I have had to replace my turn signal bulbs once a month, my left turn signal socket looks like it has been burnt and is very black in color, still cant get GM to acknowledge that there were problems with this on these Malibu's even though there are service bulletins on this issue. Next I have had my dic system show me messages saying locked and my radio shuts off erratically and my ignition will shut off. GM dealer will not accept responsibility, next I have had the message on my dic show no power steering and 3 out of the 4 times I have lost steering all together and luckily was backing out of driveway, had to shut car off and wait for system to give me back steering control. The 4th time I veered into a guard rail going about 25 mph and crunched my front passenger quarter panel when the ps assist failed and I had no steering. Again, shut car off and had to wait for system to reset and again had steering control. I am now having issues where my entire console in the vehicle is always hot to the touch and my ignition switch inside the car is extremely hot even right after the car is started. GM will not address this issue either when I have contacted the dealer where I bought the vehicle. I am now having steering issues where my Malibu wants to go left when I am attempting to make a right turn and when making a left turn it wants to go way left all by itself. I have multiple recalls on this vehicle and to no avail they are not being addressed. I am wondering if I have to be in a worse crash and be injured severely or another person in order to get anyone to fix these issues or take this car back.

- Laurel, MT, USA

Aug 022013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled and multiple warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle stalled while driving over speed bumps or any other terrain. The contact attempted to remove the key from the ignition, but the key would not eject. The key would continuously become stuck between the off position and auxiliary position and would not restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing and the mechanic stated that the lock assembly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified and informed the contact that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 79,000. Updated 01/12/15

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Jun 012006

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving various speeds, the steering wheel seized and excessive force on the steering wheel was required. The service soon warning light illuminated prior to the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnosis. The technician stated that the power steering sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train). However, the parts needed were unavailable to service the vehicle under the recall. The dealer was uncertain when the parts would be available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 152014

Malibu 4-cyl

The turn signals and flasher work intermittently.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Mar 202013

Malibu

My complaint is that I have received two letters informing me of recalls on my brakes, and the electrical power steering. I received the first letter a month ago regarding the ( eps), I called GM and I also called Chevrolet, I have not heard anything, now I receive a letter two days ago recalling (BCM), (bas), I don't understand how you can send out letters stating there are recalls but parts are not available, but you are concerned. Please help me understand this, this is my only means if transportation and I am not happy about how this is being handled. Now I am in fear if what could happen while I'm driving and nothing is being done to correct these problems and prevent my death or someone else's. I have already experienced the (eps) problem twice to be exact, I didn't know what was going on, so, I would appreciate someone contacting me with some information in how quickly these problems can become resolved. I am really considering contacting a lawyer, because nothing is being done. My life is more important than the letters you send saying you are concerned about my safety, that is a joke. Thanks for your convenience and hopefully I will get some kind of response.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Jul 172012

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated the brake lights failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in recall NHTSA campaign number:14V252000 (exterior lighting). The failure and current mileage was 95,000....updated 09-05-14 the consumer stated the vehicle the vehicle has also had issues with switching from park to drive, the exterior as well as the interior lights would go out during highway speeds and an alarm would sound, whenever the vehicle would be filled with gas the low fuel alarm would sound, and the blinker lights would burn out prematurely. Updated 09/15/2014

- Snohomish, WA, USA

Sep 212013

Malibu 6-cyl

When starting the car the ignition gets stuck, there is a recall on other models but not the 2004 Malibu, and also the right rear tire rod has part that has come loose, took to tire shop and showed where the part will have to be welded back to the rod. Currently have recall on steering for 2004 Malibu 14116.

- Pearl, MS, USA