2004 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Jan 142011

Malibu 4-cyl

The theft system automatically engages randomly when ignition is attempted. Reset with key in on position for approximately 10 minutes is the only way to get the car to start. Can happen multiple times per day, regardless of weather or parking conditions. Replaced ignition in 2013 and computer in 2011 with no change in issue to a detriment of over $1,000. Occasionally pressing gas when ignition first catches will route the issue, but not always. Theft light also now stays on regardless of a successful first start or not. Needless to say, it is frustrating to have this happen when you need to get on the road for work or even an emergency!

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 102014

Malibu 6-cyl

My car has had interior electrical problems since the day that I bought. I have had things like the cd deck and the brakes and alloy rims fixed after having problems with them however I have had the front left blinker fail to work and then an hour later it works, the next hour does not work. The interior lighting all stopped working and the dealership says that it is electrical, at the same time that the lights stopped working I started to be unable to shift my car from low into 1 or 2. I have had my power steering go out multiple times and then after pulling over, shutting off my car and turning it back on it worked again. I have almost go into an accident multiple times because the front left blinker stops working mid drive, or the power steering stops working. This car clearly has multiple electrical problems that should be recalled and fixed because they are very dangerous.

- North Branch , MN, USA

Jun 022014

Malibu

2004 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle electrical system issues. The consumer stated occasionally, he would experience a weak crank when trying to start the vehicle, as if the battery was failing. After turning the vehicle off, and waiting 15 seconds, he would attempt to start the vehicle again. It would crank, but not fire as if it were flooded. The dealer inspected the electrical system and found nothing wrong. The consumer continued to experience the problem.

- Warminster, PA, USA

Jun 052014

Malibu 6-cyl

Through the years we have had off and on episodes of the car not starting even when we had a good battery and in the middle of driving the power steering giving out. We finally took the vehicle to a mechanic after being advised to replace the battery. The mechanic, GM dealer, advised we need a whole new steering column, this was 6-25-13. In less then a year the car continues to not start and today the power steering again went out on my 15 year old son as he was driving home. We have left E-mails with Chevrolet with no return. The last aforementioned GM dealer said that we would get a call about the recall on the steering but appears there is no recall on the ignition, despite several news articles saying there was. We are now out of a vehicle due GM not responding.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

May 222014

Malibu 6-cyl

This is the 5th time this had happened with my 2004 Malibu, but the scariest. Similar to the other times, but this time on a curve. I heard a chime& "power steering" appeared in the message box. My car veered to the ieft into traffic and I could barely steer it. It took all my 66 yea old strength to turn the wheel & get into my lane. I pulled off asap & turned car off in a safe location. Shaking for 15 min. I don't understand why this car is safe to drive. It does not revert to manual steering. The CEO is lying. I have owned manual steering cars and this does not steer that way. I am afraid to drive it it has also stalled with numerous lights coming on. ABS, engine, and one I think is another steering light, yellow with a line through it. Why aren't they pulled?cruise control comes on by itself & won't shut off.

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Aug 012013

Malibu 6-cyl

I got in my car and tried to crank it and it made a clicking noise. It took hours before it started, on another incident; several times I couldn't shift my car from park. My power steering light came on and when I was coming to a stop at a light the car list control serving left to right until I came to a complete stop. I always have to gas the car to get gas to the engine for the car to start. When I took it to the dealer he said that it was a recall problem and he's had several customers with my car come to him with the same problem. When I looked up the recall I noticed that my car was having the same issues as reported.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

My battery light came on this morning and I came home from lunch tried making a left turn onto a street and my steering wheel locked on me. I couldn't turn my car, now my car won't even start. I barely made it home, thank god because I almost crashed into my neighbors house from my steering wheel locking.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Jun 012013

Malibu 6-cyl

While driving my battery light will flash on and chirp and my steering wheel sort of locks up, the display on my radio says power steering and the wrench light lights up on the panel. It is quite scary considering I have young children in my car about 95% of the time. I have been very close to crashing into other cars more than once. I would love to get rid of this car but am afraid this will happen to the next person and it could be fatal.

- Valois, NY, USA

Apr 052010

Malibu 4-cyl

As I was driving down the highway all of a sudden my steering wheel locked. Then my power steering light came on. So lucky I was on a straight away. I pulled over and shut the car off and turned it back on and was back to normal.

- Ruther Glen, VA, USA

Mar 012011

Malibu 6-cyl

Fuel gauge stopped working, would not indicate fuel level.

- Marshall, NC, USA

Mar 192014

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving around a corner the engine shut off, the key was not turned to the off position. I was able to glide the car to a parking lot, turned the key to the off position, let the car sit for a few minutes, turned it back on and continued driving.

- Manitowoc, WI, USA

Aug 242004

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the day after purchasing her vehicle it would not start. The vehicle was taken back to the dealership where they diagnosed that the wiring was not connected. The contact experienced multiple electrical issues with the vehicle since the failure was diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 282,456.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Mar 312014

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving the car through an intersection approaching the ramp onto the interstate. I lost steering control for about 2 seconds, just missing the guard-rail and having an accident. The next morning, there was a recall for the 2004 Malibu. I contacted the dealership for a loaner car, only to be told the car VIN number is not an approved model for the recall. I need to know why it is not if it is having the same issues. I have reported to this site at least twice about issues with this car.

- Port Wentworth, GA, USA

Jan 132014

Malibu 6-cyl

Front turning signals or running lights get very hot and melt through the amber lens that the bulb sits in. These bulbs burn out quite often, which have created some near misses while making turns because the bulbs would burn out without notice. This is a very common problem on all the 04 and 05 Malibu. I have contacted the Chevy dealers and the deny and knowledge of the problem, but there many complaints of this online. Every Malibu of these years have the same problem.

- Stillwater, MN, USA

Dec 012008

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that after turning the engine off, he was unable to remove the key from the ignition switch. The defect had occurred several times. The vehicle was diagnosed by the dealer and the ignition switch was replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 11,000.

- Jeannette, PA, USA

Feb 172014

Malibu 6-cyl

Randomly while driving down the road my power steering has gone out multiple times. I listed the most recent date. Now they say it will cost around 1000 to fix. If multiple people have complained about this shouldn't their be a recall? if the roads were icy I could've crashed and killed someone.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Jul 072011

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving my vehicle and all of a sudden my door locks started to go up and down. Than after that the doors would just start to lock and unlock on their own. Now none of the locks on the door work and the alarm goes off everytime I open the door from the outside and when I'm inside the car I get locked in my car.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Aug 012013

Malibu 4-cyl

Theft system light came on for 2004 Chevy Malibu classic. Car would not start. Had to have it towed to sport Chevrolet. Google search revealed theft passlock system complaints on Chevy cars I was charged $634.84 plus tax, sport Chevrolet in silver spring md to replace the ignition lock cylinder, wiring and connector. 2 days later the same thing happened. The issue was resolved by leaving the key in acc for 10 minutes thus resetting theft system. Why was I charged $600 for a defect?

- Greenbelt, MD, USA

Oct 192011

Malibu 4-cyl

Car would not start because the anti-theft system was activated for no reason. Was able to start it by leaving the ignition switch in the on position for 10 min. There have been many many complaints about this issue.

- Lawndale, CA, USA

Jul 012013

Malibu

On two occasions the car would not crank the anti theft light will blink. Had to get someone to start it up by waiting on the light to stop blinking, which is time consuming and costly.something has to be done about this. There is a lot of complaints on this matter. Something has to be done.!!!

- Dallas, GA, USA