2004 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 24 of 33)

Jun 012009

Malibu

Power steering assist fails - causes a msg to appear on info center and steering is difficult while driving at any speed.

- Lavale, MD, USA

Sep 042009

Malibu

I purchased a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu in June 2009. Since I have had the car the power steering light has come on and I have lost all power steering in the vehicle twice. I took the car the dealerships shop and they told me they could not find anything wrong with the power steering. Driving today I lost all power steering again. I stop the vehicle and turn it off and it resets itself usually, but today it kept going out. I spoke to a Chevrolet dealership and they are very familiar with the problem although there has been no recall. It is very dangerous and needs to be looked into seriously. I am locked into my loan for 3 years on this car.

- Akron, OH, USA

Sep 022009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph the "power steering" warning light illuminated on the instrument panel, then the power steering failed. As a consequence the risk for vehicle crash was increased. The vehicle was towed to a local repair facility, and a mechanic concluded that the steering shaft needed replacement. As of current date the vehicle has not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 92,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Auburn, ME, USA

Aug 102009

Malibu

Driving the 2004 Chevy Malibu in a parking lot when power steering turned off. Power steering will reset after restarting the car but will subsequently turn off again. Looses power steering more frequently since the initial loss of power steering.

- Mililani, HI, USA

Aug 052009

Malibu

Electric power steering goes of suddenly w/O advance notice of any kind.

- Manassa, CO, USA

Aug 032009

Malibu

I own a 2004 Chevy Malibu and the electronic power steering quit. The wrench light came on and the display said power steering. It has happened several times. The last time it happened was right after I had picked my son up from day care. I was on my home and the power steering went out. I could barely steer the car. I had to pull hard on the steering wheel to get the car to steer. It started working again on my way to work, but now it over steers to the right. If the power steering had come back on while I was pulling on the steering wheel I would have went into the other lane and caused and accident (with my son in the car). I took it to the Chevy dealer and they said the steering column was already replaced due to a recall. The dealer said they could replace the steering column at my expense. If the steering column was already replaced, then why is the same problem still happening. I will not pay to have a new one put in when it only temporarily fixes the problem. I have read many complaints on this same issue. Some have caused accidents. I will not drive the car with my son in the car. I cannot believe that GM does not admit that there is a problem. What will it take for GM to correct the problem a "death".

- Bay City, MI, USA

Jul 302009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 40 mph at night, the power steering failed unexpectedly. The driver had to exert greater effort to turn the steering wheel. The vehicle has not been repaired and is currently not being driven. The failure and current mileages were 70,520.

- Salem, OH, USA

Oct 172006

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While attempting to make a right turn, the power steering failed and caused the vehicle to drive onto the sidewalk. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealer. The current mileage was 55,000 and failure mileage was 22,000.

- Burnszille, MN, USA

May 132008

Malibu

I reported this to NHTSA and no contact from anyone. I own a 2004 Chevy Malibu. I have spent over $2400 to have this repaired. Failure of power steering indicator and a loss of power steering while driving this vehicle. I have had to paid to have 2 new GM steering columns installed in the last year and half. Have had the sensor adjusted on the new steering column. And I still continue to have this problem. I have written to GM with a less than acceptable reply. There is a serious matter and it appear nothing is being done. Are you waiting for someone to get hurt. Please look into this matter. GM sure is refusing. Unfortunately I do not have records from the beginning of the vehicles history for I am 2nd owner however, because I have already installed 2 new columns I can assure you that this has been going on for sometime.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 112006

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. In July of 2006, the steering column was replaced at only 15,000 miles. Recently, the contact felt the steering loosen while driving 20 mph. On July 21, 2009, the steering knuckle failed and she lost control of the steering. She had to place the gear into park in order to stop the vehicle. A report was filed with the manufacturer. The current and failure mileages were 56,000.

- Rochester , NY, USA

Jul 162009

Malibu

This car is terrible. Not only did my brakes not work which made my car crash through the front of my house the steering has been replaced twice and the problem still exists. The electrical system has major problems. The blinker burned a hole through the lens cover and makes the horn, doors and lights not work. I have contacted GM several times over the last 5 years and they don't care because the warranty is out. Then you read how many people have the same problems. They got their bailout how about a bailout for the people who bought GM products. There seems to be no help for the consumer.

- Irving, TX, USA

Jul 102009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving less than 3 mph, the power steering failed. The contact drove forward out of a parking spot, but the steering wheel would not turn. She had to exert great force in order to turn the steering wheel. In addition, the check engine light illuminated on the instrument panel. The manufacturer would not assist because there were no recalls for the steering. The manufacturer referred the contact to NHTSA. The vehicle has not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were less than 128,000.

- Newtone Falls, OH, USA

May 202005

Malibu

Power steering keeps failing. Some days it works fine the next time it is jerky, loss of power steering. Have had it looked at 4 times each time the replaced steering gear, stabilizer bars, rack and pinion steering. This last a few months then same issue over and over. No its gone again and have lack of power, power failure, clunking in steering column. This is a safety and recall issue in my books. Was told by one dealership until they design new parts nothing can be done well its 5 fives of this now.

- Edmonton, 00, USA

Jul 252008

Malibu

I had a problem with the power steering the car malfunctioned twice (meaning the car started slide and I lost control of the car)both times while I was stopping for a light the check engine light never came on until the second time. I stopped and turned the engine off and restarted the car. I had no power steering after that point.

- Barnardsville, NC, USA

Aug 062008

Malibu

My steering wheel got locked when I was making a right turn. I almost hit another driver (about 40 cm from him; he was about to make a left turn on that intersection). After restarting the engine the power steering came back.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Jun 202009

Malibu

I have been having problems with the power steering just going out for no reason at all. There is a slight clacking noise and the steering wheel fights with you to make a turn. Some days its fine and other days you fear for your life. I see online thousands of complaints about this ongoing problems. No recall!!! what do we have to do to get a recall....blood shed! there has been tons of wrecks, near wrecks, and money out of pocket to fix this problem and money out of pocket on damage to the auto because of this! what do we as a customer do"?!!!???"!!!!!!!! right is right! its General Motors that should fix this before someone has to die!!

- Albertville, AL, USA

Jun 222009

Malibu

Power steering in 2004 Chevy Malibu goes out on a daily basis.

- Lombard, IL, USA

Jun 162009

Malibu

At least 3 or 4 times in the five years I've owned my 2004 Chevy Malibu my power steering failed during driving on the roadways causing me distress and danger to myself and others. Even though I got this "repaired" at the dealers, I feel like the power steering is about to fail again any day now. I'd like the dealer to pay for the repair instead of me paying for it. I feel like the dealer didn't repair the problem properly while under warranty but just put a band-aid on the problem. Now it is out of warranty and needs the expensive repairs. Please advise. Thank you.

- Grapevine, TX, USA

Sep 062007

Malibu

Power steering light came on and steering wheel would not turn. Had to turn car off then back on to be able to turn steering wheel since it was locked up. This has been happening constantly since the first incident. Sometimes you have to cut the car off several times and back on just to be able to drive it. This is extremely dangerous because you lose all ability to turn car. Lucky for me this hasn't happened going down the road yet only when sitting in a store parking lot or at home.

- Cartersville, GA, USA

Jun 032009

Malibu

We have had problems with the power steering on our 2004 Malibu almost from day one. After filing a complaint with the BBB a Chevy rep contacted us, got the column replaced and some other things and gave us an extended warranty. Several times since then we have taken it in because the power steering failure came up again but no problem was ever found. Evidently these were not logged in because when we talked to Chevy about these did not show up. Now, every afternoon when she gets in it to come home the ps goes out. The car just turn over 100K but to me this is an ongoing problem and Chevy should take care of it.

- Watauga, TX, USA