2004 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 3 of 33)

Sep 202014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering), and NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train). The contact was not certain of when the part and remedy would become available to schedule the appointment for the repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the safety concern with the three recalls and the contact was still waiting for the parts to schedule the recall appointment. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Nov 252014

Malibu

The contact owned a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train). The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer to be remedied. After the vehicle was remedied, while driving approximately 25 mph, the power steering seized. As a result, the contact crashed the vehicle into the front driver side of a parked vehicle, which caused his vehicle to flip over. The contact sustained no injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 119,123. Updated 2/1/15

- Franklin Square , NY, USA

May 012014

Malibu 6-cyl

2004 Chevrolet Malibu experiencing power steering problems, ABS and shift cable, all replaced. The consumer stated the vehicle was taken to the repair shop seven times, due to power steering failure, which resulted in the steering locking up. The consumer was involved in two accidents, in which the air bags failed to deploy. The consumer received a transmission, steering and brake recall. However, the parts were not available.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Oct 062004

Malibu 6-cyl

The vehicle has a loud clunking sound, when ever turning the steering wheel either to the right or left. The sound comes from below in the engine compartment and is heard constantly inside the vehicle. I find it hard to believe that the intermediate steering shaft in this vehicle is not on the recall list with the other 3 notices to this vehicle?

- Glendale Heights, IL, USA

Aug 012012

Malibu

Since 2012 I have nothing but problems with my Malibu. Power steering going out causing the whole front end to become unstable, causing the car to pull the left and the right. Hard to keep it centered; causing busted belts in tires, bad brakes, torn up rotors. Fuel gage not working properly, traction control on break censor going off and on. Ignition switch not working properly, I have received 4 recall notices so far and I know there are more to be had. But no dealer ship seems to have any parts to fix this car. This car is a death trap. I feel as though every time I strap my self into my car, I am setting myself up to be hurt or killed. I need to get this car fixed. If not I need someone to get me new one.

- Huntington, IN, USA

Oct 262012

Malibu 6-cyl

The steering wheel started shaking and in the middle of a turn the power steering went out causing the car to jerk and go off the side of the road. I went all winter with the power steering going in and out. I am still having this problem. I have a recall on it but I have no one that will fix it. It is now going on two months. I keep being told that there are no parts. I am afraid if this continues I will end up in a bad accident.

- Huntington, IN, USA

Jun 152013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving approximately 65 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Fort Lee, VA, USA

Sep 012014

Malibu 6-cyl

While increasing speed, the battery light and engine light come on. The power steering stops working for a few seconds and the dash lights go out. The lights go of and the power steering starts working like normal. There is still electrical power to the rest of the car (radio works, brakes work, interior lights still work, etc.) I replaced the battery and had the charging system inspected, nothing wrong with it. Alternator is good, battery is good. No shop can explain why this happens, even the Chevrolet dealer. It doesn't matter the speed I am going, it always does this. Driving on the interstate I lost power to the steering and went into the ditch to avoid an accident. The dealer states there is nothing wrong with the car, and cannot diagnose the problem. I have came close to totaling my car several times. I had my kids in the car when it lost steering on the interstate. This could have cost us our lives. I'm scared to drive this car but have to. This complaint is my last option before contacting a lawyer. I hope this can be resolved through this complaint.

- Janesville, WI, USA

Oct 072014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering and service engine sensors illuminated on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the authorized dealer. The technician serviced the vehicle according to NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic and vehicle speed control). The contact indicated that the vehicle stalled several times after the recall repair and the power steering failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the authorized dealer for further inspection, diagnosis and repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 298,000.

- Waynesville, GA, USA

Jun 262014

Malibu 6-cyl

Power steering locked up while driving thru a curve causing a accident which resulted in one rider injury. We made a claim with GM and they denied it stating that the data from the black box showed that there was not any equipment malfunctions. The power steering started working after the accident. The data showed that the driver side seat belt lock was told to deploy and it did not. To me and everybody else, that is an equipment malfunction. GM told me that since the driver was not hurt that they denied this one also. The back seat rider was injured when the rear door glass shattered sending glass into the back of his head. This required medical attention to remove all of the glass fragments.

- Somerville, AL, USA

May 122014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized and excessive force was required. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering shafts needed to be replaced. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Stafford , VA, USA

Oct 032014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 25 mph, the contact heard an abnormal noise while making a right turn and the steering wheel seized. The contact had to use extreme force in order to straighten the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the power steering pump failed. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 156,000.

- Mabank, TX, USA

Jan 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds, the contact heard an abnormal noise and the steering wheel seized. The vehicle had to be turned off and restarted in order to resume normal operation. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Hammond , CT, USA

Aug 012014

Malibu 6-cyl

I was entering the freeway, accelerating to get into lane, there was a big truck on the side of me and as I tried to manuever my car, I found I could not steer the vehicle! I thought it might have died. I pulled over and turned off ignition. Then restarted and I was able to drive a bit before the same thing happened. Later I found out there was a recall on the power steering for my vehicle. It has been sitting in my driveway for almost two months! there are also two other recalls on my car; one for ignition/transmission which could result in the car turning off and the other is a brake lamp issue which could render the brake lamps useless in case of stopping, or using the cruise control could result in faulty brake lights to alert other drivers. So after calling General Motors on several occasions, each time being told a different story - there is no parts available at this time and they have no idea when my vehicle can be repaired. I called the dealership and they basically told me the same thing. However, I was placed on a "list" and given the number "175" to be in line to wait repairs. Even though they do not have a part yet. My frustration lies in the fact that my car is an investment. I bought it in good faith with the dealer, and have made my payments on time. Now I am paying a car payment and car insurance for a car that is sitting in my driveway! I also have to pay for a rental car indefinitely and it is causing financial hardship because I am unemployed at this time as well. No one will help me, or give me an answer! what are my rights" I really need advice. GM had a "district specialist" call me last week to tell me the same thing the last 8 people from their company have said which is basically - not a damn thing. Can you please advise me??"

- Castro Valley, CA, USA

Jul 012008

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (power steering); however, the part needed for the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the power steering fluid needed to be refilled. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Adelanto, CA, USA

Sep 022013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while traveling on an off ramp at an unknown speed, the steering wheel seized. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was previously repaired under an unknown recall but the failure recurred. Also, the contact received notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train). However, the parts to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Elgin , SC, USA

Sep 012014

Malibu

Letter from congressman king on behalf of constituent re 2004 Chevy Malibu. The dealer informed the consumer, the parts were not available to fix the recalled components. The power steering and brake lights needed to be replaced.

- Bethpage, NY, USA

Mar 012004

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the brakes, steering, and electrical wiring for the headlights failed. The failures have occurred since 2004. While making left turns, the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact had been submitting complaints to the manufacturer since 2004. The failure mileage was 35,000. Updated 10/23/14 updated 4/13/2015

- Irving, TX, USA

Sep 102014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering malfunctioned and the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. Also, the transmission failed to shift into the reverse gear. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), 14V153000 (steering), and 14V224000 (power train). The dealer indicated that only one of the three recall repairs would be performed since the parts were not available. The brake light recall repair was performed. The dealer was unable to indicate a specific timeframe to schedule the two remaining recall repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 142,000.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Aug 132014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the steering wheel seized and excessive force was required in order to maneuver the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician was unable to determine the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,800.

- Tavares, FL, USA