2004 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 6 of 33)

May 112014

Malibu

TL-the contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the power steering would intermittently fail without warning. The vehicle would become increasingly difficult to control. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage and current mileage was 140,000.

- Aurora, IL, USA

May 102014

Malibu 6-cyl

After starting the car late at night leaving a friends house, was in the act of pulling out into the street when the steering became very difficult to turn, and the warning light came on. I was stuck out into the middle of the road until I turned off the car and turned it back on to rest the systems. If it was earlier in the day I very much believe we could have been injured by another car. I have had it do it to me before for just a couple of seconds the it was fine. Im getting very concerned about this problem.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

May 042004

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering column failed and was replaced in 2004 however, the parts were found to be defective and were replaced by the manufacturer. The failure recurred in 2011 and the power steering column was replaced again. The contact was concerned that the part was defective due to the exact recurring failure. The manufacturer was contacted and advised that the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The approximate failure mileage was 3000. Updated 6/24/14 updated 06/26/2014

- Trumbull, CT, USA

Apr 042012

Malibu 6-cyl

Steering is loose and rattling. Does not sound safe.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 052014

Malibu 6-cyl

Today after dropping my son off at school, my 2004 Chevrolet Malibu 3.5 V6 became nearly impossible to steer. It felt like the car had 2 flat tires in the front. With great struggle I was able to get the car off the road and avoid crashing. Had I not been strong enough to turn the car others could have been killed. This was a near miss. After having the problem this morning, I discovered that GM issued a recall for this problem. The recall id is 102634. GM has not implemented the recall even though they issued a press release on the problem on 3-31-14. I have spent the last 5 hours on the phone with 2 Chevrolet dealers and GM trying to find a solution since "they are aware of the problem but have not loaded my VIN into their system." People are being injured and likely dying because of this issue.

- Ewa Beach, HI, USA

May 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

My battery light came on this morning and I came home from lunch tried making a left turn onto a street and my steering wheel locked on me. I couldn't turn my car, now my car won't even start. I barely made it home, thank god because I almost crashed into my neighbors house from my steering wheel locking.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Jun 012013

Malibu 6-cyl

While driving my battery light will flash on and chirp and my steering wheel sort of locks up, the display on my radio says power steering and the wrench light lights up on the panel. It is quite scary considering I have young children in my car about 95% of the time. I have been very close to crashing into other cars more than once. I would love to get rid of this car but am afraid this will happen to the next person and it could be fatal.

- Valois, NY, USA

Jan 062014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated the while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not able to be restarted. The contact also stated that the power steering assist would sporadically fail. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who re-calibrated the electrical steering, however the failure persisted. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number 14V153000 (steering). However, the VIN was not included in the recall campaign. The vehicle was not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Catasaqua, PA, USA

Mar 252014

Malibu 6-cyl

I have a lot of play in my steering wheel there is a light that keeps coming on with a wrench in the middle of car" while driving the vehicle it seems as if the steering wheel is going to come a part from dashboard have to drive with 2 hands cause it shakes some what. I am unable to drive on freeway much afraid at this point.. if U could check to see if there is a recall on this I would appreciate it... dont want an accident. Notified brown & brown Chevy, mesa, AZ they said there was a recall on this " my car is a 2004 Chevy Malibu.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Feb 122014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the power steering assist suddenly failed. The contact also mentioned that the failure was experienced multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 14V153000 (steering). The failure mileage was 86,000.

- Milwauikee, WI, USA

Feb 152010

Malibu 6-cyl

Vehicle steering wheel was twitching to the right at all speeds and while stopped I had also lost power assist a couple times. I took the 2004 Malibu to the dealership where I had purchased the vehicle on 14 February 2004. They replaced the steering column at a cost to me of $594.20 on 17 February 2010.

- Chandler, IN, USA

Mar 122014

Malibu 6-cyl

The power steering would just stop working. I had to pay $563.14 for a hazardous recall that was repaired one previous time, and that G.M. would no longer honor.

- Perrysburg, OH, USA

Apr 122014

Malibu 6-cyl

Had driven car with no issues previous. Had parked car in parking lot. About 30 minutes later went to start the car and immediately the service wrench light came on and noticed the power steering was not working. After a minute or so, turned the car off, then turned it back on. Wrench light was off and the power steering was working, but now when applying a slight right turn motion on the steering wheel, the wheel shakes/chatters/bounces. This happens either in gear or not. It does not do this when turning the wheel left or when applying increased pressure turning right. It seems to be getting worse and wondering if this has something to do with the upcoming power steering recall.

- Carpentersville, IL, USA

Apr 192014

Malibu 6-cyl

While the car was turning out of a driveway something broke inside the rack and pinion. This left the car with no steering. I think if this is a common problem with these cars there should be a recall. If this happened at highway speeds, people could get hurt or worse.

- Mayville, NY, USA

Apr 052010

Malibu 4-cyl

As I was driving down the highway all of a sudden my steering wheel locked. Then my power steering light came on. So lucky I was on a straight away. I pulled over and shut the car off and turned it back on and was back to normal.

- Ruther Glen, VA, USA

Mar 042014

Malibu 6-cyl

At first the warning light would come on then the car began to lose the power steering, then it finally went out completely. I had the car repaired, then my daughter and son in law found out the car had been recalled. I would just like to be reimbursed for the cost of the repair. I have called tom bannan Chevrolet in madison Tennessee. Who does not return my call. Thank you

- Old Hickory, TN, USA

Apr 242013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering assist failed sporadically. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000 and the current mileage was 143,932.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Mar 052014

Malibu 6-cyl

The power steering went out very hard to steer. Happened a couple of times do not know dates, then finally would go out each time it was driven. Was replaced by a mechanic. I do not see the lt listed, is it in the recall?

- Old Hickory, TN, USA

Apr 052006

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving at various speeds the power steering would suddenly malfunction making the steering wheel very difficult to turn. When the failure occurred the check engine, ABS and tc (traction control) sensor lights illuminated. The failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The contact also indicated that while driving various speeds the vehicle would drift from side to side. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the control arms were faulty. The control arms were replaced but the defect was not remedied. While driving the headlights, turn signal lights and rear lights would intermittently shut on and off. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the defect was caused by an electrical short. The defect was not repaired. The failure mileage was 17,000.

- Jackson, MI, USA

Sep 102009

Malibu 6-cyl

Power steering failure due to faulty electronic components in the power steering column. I had to pay nearly $500 to have the power steering column replaced. General Motors would not provide any assistance or reimbursement.

- South Saint Paul, MN, USA