2004 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 7 of 33)

Apr 022014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving 25 mph, the power steering stop working and the air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 68,000.

- Albany, NY, USA

Mar 292014

Malibu

I was driving down interstate, and the steering locked up. It ding about 2 seconds before it went out. It was good I was on a straight stretch of the highway and not going into a curve or passing another vehicle. Or if my wife or kids were driving, it could have been an major incident. I was reading up on it afterwards on line, say Chevrolet had problems with the electronic powersteering, but no recall was performed. I just want to let other drivers/owners aware it could go out anytime.

- Clarksville, AR, USA

Mar 312014

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving the car through an intersection approaching the ramp onto the interstate. I lost steering control for about 2 seconds, just missing the guard-rail and having an accident. The next morning, there was a recall for the 2004 Malibu. I contacted the dealership for a loaner car, only to be told the car VIN number is not an approved model for the recall. I need to know why it is not if it is having the same issues. I have reported to this site at least twice about issues with this car.

- Port Wentworth, GA, USA

Mar 312014

Malibu

A chiming noise came on, then a light with a wrench on it. My steering did not feel right so I pulled over. That night I heard about my recall. I'm afraid to drive my car. Its been parked since then.GM will not pay for a rental car, so I had to pay for my own last night at $200 a week.

- Wallingford, PA, USA

Mar 012010

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the drivers side seat frame was fractured. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician verified the failure and stated that the seat frame needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 67,987 and the current mileage was 95,000. Updated 09/26/2014 updated 02/27/2015

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Feb 182010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving 30 mph the vehicle stalled without any warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the steering column assembly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 67,568. The current mileage was 95,000.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Feb 282014

Malibu 6-cyl

Daughter was turning the corner and the steering wheel stop turning and she ran into a snow bank. Car is inoperable now. The car had been difficult to turn since I purchased it. I took it to a mechanic who couldn't find anything wrong with it. I also took it back to the dealership where I purchase and they would not honor the warranty, and this was only a couple of weeks after I purchased it.

- Eastpointe, MI, USA

Feb 112014

Malibu 6-cyl

I was backing out of my driveway and the power steering light came on and I lost power steering. I shut the car off and it reset and the power steering came back on. This has happened numerous times since where the power steering goes out by it self with no warning. Seems like it happens more at slower speeds, but what happens when I do not expect it and I need the power steering. My young daughter drives it sometimes also.

- Mt. Pleasant, MI, USA

Mar 012014

Malibu

Steering quits working while driving the car.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Sep 272011

Malibu 6-cyl

The service steering warning light/chime illuminated while driving the car. No loss of steering. Drove the car to the local Chevrolet dealer the next day without incident. They replaced the steering column at a cost of $777.22. The owner (my mother) was responsible for the bill. I'm reporting it now on her behalf as it appears General Motors might finally recall the 2004 models given their renewed Focus on safety in light of the current cobalt/G5/ion fiasco. ** was the 2004 Malibu exempt from the 2005 and up recall when it uses the same electric steering unit?*** thank you.

- Weymouth, MA, USA

Feb 042014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that after starting the engine, the power steering assist malfunctioned making the steering wheel very difficult to turn. The contact indicated that the failure was recurring. The vehicle was diagnosed by an independent mechanic, who determined that the power steering module was faulty. The power steering module was replaced but the vehicle continued to exhibit the failure. The manufacturer was notified but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 04-23-14

- Gilmer, TX, USA

Jul 262012

Malibu 6-cyl

The power steering will randomly go out. Most often it happens at low speeds, ex. Backing out of a parking space, starting from a stop sign etc. It has also happened at 20 miles per hour around a curve in the road which very nearly ended in a crash. Turning the car off and back on again has resolved the issue temporarily but I am very concerned that sooner or later this will end in a crash.

- Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Mar 112014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle exhibited a loud banging noise and stalled as the mil warning light illuminated. The contact was able to restart the vehicle after several attempts with limited power steering assist. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle scheduled for repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100. The VIN was unavailable.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Apr 292013

Malibu

I was living in Pennsylvania at the time and as I was coming home from work I was traveling at approximately 25 to 30 mph while coming around a curve the steering went out there was no way I could steer the car and I hit 2 cars and bounced off of them into a high curb my ribs were broken and I have been having severe pain in my hip. Right before the accident there was an alert tone I thought I was low on gas when I looked at my radio (this is where it tells you things) it said no power steering when I looked at my dash panel there was a wrench in a car I was trying to correct my direction but there was no way I could steer the car at all when the crash happened I was hospitalized I didn't know what to do I have tried to contact several attorneys but after all this happened I had to sell my home and move because I was unable to work. With the loss of the car I was unable to go to the hospital for follow ups as my doctor wanted. My nephew told me to write to you my vehicle was a total loss.

- Cookeville , TN, USA

Mar 042014

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed without warning. The check engine warning light did not illuminate until after the failure occurred. The steering wheel returned to normal function when the engine was turned off and restarted. The contact stated that the dealer replaced the power steering system but the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5,000 and the current mileage was 133,000. Updated 7/14/14 updated 07/18/2014

- Chestnut Ridge , NY, USA

Mar 022014

Malibu

While driving, the check engine light randomly came on, and then about 30 seconds later I lost power steering. Power steering came back on its own about 40 minutes later, after letting the car sit.

- Winter Springs, FL, USA

Mar 012014

Malibu 6-cyl

Bought car on 2-6-14. Within I months time, sensors registered 4 times power steering problems. GM has recalled this model from 2005 and up. But not the 2004 models with the same problems. The kelly blue book still holds the car at $5300. Just wondering if someone can help me out of this jam. Bought the car for my 23 year old daughter and afraid that she might get hurt or killed.

- Erie , PA, USA

Aug 282013

Malibu

Steering failed as I was making a left hand turn. The steering warning system has been giving false indication that something is wrong with the car until it did fail. Also please check out the following www.edmunds.com/Chevrolet/Malibu/2004/consumer-discussions.html

- Port Aransas, TX, USA

Feb 242014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the steering suddenly seized. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the electronic power steering had failed. The vehicle not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 146,000.

- Washington, PA, USA

Feb 172014

Malibu 6-cyl

Randomly while driving down the road my power steering has gone out multiple times. I listed the most recent date. Now they say it will cost around 1000 to fix. If multiple people have complained about this shouldn't their be a recall? if the roads were icy I could've crashed and killed someone.

- Waukesha, WI, USA