2005 Chevrolet Malibu drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

May 202005

Malibu

I own a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. I have had a "clunking" of the "I" shaft since I bought the car and was told "not to worry about it". "won't hurt anything." "you can have it replaced if it becomes annoying." "is not covered under extended warranty." I have my car at a dealership right now to get the "I" shaft replaced. The shop foreman just came in and told me he has had to replace this on "several" Malibu and GM has increased the cost of the "I" shaft because of so many repairs. It use to cost $90-$125. Now he tells me it will cost $150 just for the "I" shaft. He even recommended I file the complaint and see if GM will address this issue and reimburse me for the costs. If a dealer repair shop is saying there have been several cars with this problem, then GM should have corrected this issue at no cost to the consumer 5 years ago. Please help! I am a retired worker and this is killing my meager budget.

- Woiods Cross, UT, USA

Dec 102009

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 30 mph the steering column locked without prior warnings. The vehicle was towed to the dealership and the steering column needed to be replaced. She called and sent a letter to the manufacturer, but no assistance was provided. The current and failure mileages were approximately 108,000. Updated 03/04/10 the consumer stated the right tie rod failed, the front struts were leaking, the steering rack failed and the transmission was leaking. Updated 10/05/10

- Renton, WA, USA

Jul 262007

Malibu

2005 Chevrolet Malibu recall customer states that the rack and pinion was replaced and it should have been covered under the bumper to bumper warranty* the consumer stated the second gear was slow to engage, there was a noise coming from the rear of the vehicle and the brakes made a noise when they were applied. The dealer cleaned the front brakes and applied treatment to them. The consumer was informed the tires were cupped.

- Kingsland, GA, USA