2005 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 10 of 17)

Jun 012010

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While making a left or right turn at any speed the contact could hear a clanking noise coming from the front end. During the failure, a power steering service light would illuminate on the dashboard. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the power steering mechanisms were greased. A few months later the failure began to recur. The failure mileage was 42,000 and the current mileage was 51,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 022011

Malibu 6-cyl

The power steering quit while I was driving my 6-cylinder 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. I was able to pull to the side of the road. I shut off the engine and restarted it. The power steering was working again. That was yesterday and I've been driving since then with no problems. No repairs have yet been done.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 252011

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph the power steering suddenly failed causing the steering wheel to become extremely difficult to maneuver. The power steering warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer nor was it repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and advised the contact that there were no current recalls for the failure of the vehicle. The failure mileage was approximately 95,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 212011

Malibu 6-cyl

I had just picked up my 14 year old daughter, and her friends. I was driving home in my 2005 Malibu with 107K miles on it. When I was making a left turn at 35 miles an hour. My radio dash flashed power steering, and my wheel completely locked up on me. I was barely able to avoid a telephone pole. I was given now warning prior to making the turn. This was the first time this has ever happened. From what I've read online. This seems to be a very common issue with this type of car. The power steering is electrical, and seems to be prone to this kind of thing. This really needs looked at.

- Ft Thomas, KY, USA

Dec 282010

Started hearing clunking in the front end about a year ago and power steering going out now and again. Clunking progressively got worse and powers steering began to go out everytime I drove my car, especially when making turns. Took the car to a local autoshop. I had the rack and pinion replaced. Cost me over $500. Clunking is gone but power steering is still going out on me while I am driving.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Jan 092011

2005 Malibu-power steering system failure.

- Canton, OH, USA

Sep 212010

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering locked up several times while the accelerator pedal was depressed. The dealer replaced the steering column September 21, 201 but the failure continued. The failure mileage was approximately 49,000 and the current mileage was approximately 79,000.

- Perrysburg, OH, USA

Dec 072010

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact was driving approximately 25 mph when the steering wheel became abnormally stiff. He was no longer able to turn the wheel in any direction. During the failure, the wrench warning light illuminated and the contact was able to safely move off the roadway using extreme bodily force where the engine was shut off. The vehicle was restarted and the steering wheel resumed normal operation. The vehicle was parked. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed and was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 80,300.

- Stringwood, IL, USA

Aug 302010

Vehicles intermediate drive shaft was going out. Every turn you made it would make a clunking sounds. Occurred on the vehicle right after it was bought. Talked to dealer and they said it just needed to be lubed. Lubed vehicle ourselves and did nothing. After time the clunking would get louder and louder. Took it to different repair shop and it was the intermediate drive shaft. I had heard from a source that the 2006 Malibu's had a recall on the steering column but they did not recall the 2005. The vehicles structure behind them are exactly the same just different body styles. This is not safe if it were to have gone out if we had to have been making some sort of a turn or driving down a highway or interstate. I have seen numerous accounts of this happening to the same year and make as mine on car did have the part replaced.

- Manning, IA, USA

Nov 102010

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated the power steering would sporadically fail. The vehicle would exhibit a warning chime before the failure. The failure progressed to a regular occurrence over a one week period. The dealer stated that the electronic power assist failed and was not under warranty or recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 123,500.

- Mills River, NC, USA

Nov 092008

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 10 mph, the contact turned the steering wheel and heard a knocking sound. The failure occurred whenever the steering wheel was turned. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that there was no grease lubricating the steering box. The vehicle was repaired. The failure occurred again a few months later and was repaired at the dealer. One year later, the failure occurred again and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The dealer stated that there were no related recalls. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000 and the current mileage was approximately 120,000.

- Sutherland, NE, USA

Sep 012009

2005 Chevrolet Malibu car veered to left and crossed median. Driver of Malibu killed and also struck another car where passengers were injured. Witness stated Malibu braked and there were tire marks, no vehicle in front of Malibu at time of braking. Witness stated car veered to left and driver appeared to lose control crossing median and struck another automobile. Witness states driver was not on a cell phone. This information is in the police report. The Chevrolet Malibu had steering shaft replaced prior to accident. This was performed at GM dealer due to popping noise while steering, diagnosed at dealer. Repair paid for by owner. Chevy Malibu had 65,000 miles at time of accident.

- Cedar Lake, IN, USA

Oct 212010

Malibu 6-cyl

2005 Malibu power steering suddenly stops working -- when we first the recall notice in December of 2007, it wasn't an issue (but was within the mileage limit). Know that we have the problem, it's out of the mileage range.

- Union, MO, USA

Oct 192010

Malibu 6-cyl

Tail lights have filled up with water and condensation every time it rains. Steering pops and makes noises when I make a turn.

- Quinlan, TX, USA

Oct 082010

TL contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While the contact was driving approximately between 10-15 mph, a chime sounded inside of the vehicle and the power steering warning indicator illuminated, followed by the steering wheel locking. The vehicle was driven into a parking space safely. The engine was turned off and restarted. The steering wheel began to operate properly for thirty seconds. Then the failure reoccurred repeatedly. The manufacturer was notified and they stated there was not a recall related to the defect. The manufacturer issued a 100,000 mile extended warranty pertaining to the steering column, however, the vehicle exceeded the required mileage. The contact scheduled an appointment with the dealer for the steering column replacement. The failure mileage was 100,009.

- Madisonville, KY, USA

Oct 052010

Malibu 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Malibu that I bought new. It has always had a "popping" noise in the front end when you make a turn. At first it was intermittent, seemed like it did it worse when you made sharp turns. I asked the dealer to check it out a few times - always told they could never find anything wrong with it. It has gotten worse over the years, it seems to pop all of the time now and the steering wheel seems to vibrate a little - especially on rough roads. Still, the dealer says they can't find anything wrong--actually got tired of asking them & quit asking when I took my car in for service. Now I get a letter about something being wrong with the power steering and they will replace it for 10 years, 100,000 miles. Called the dealer-they argued that it was only 70,000 miles. Had to fax them a copy of my letter proving it said 100,000 miles. I asked if this was the same problem that I'd been having with the popping noise-they told me that this part wasn't going to fix that popping noise. Had to keep asking for the part to be replaced. I am hoping this part will fix whatever the popping noise is. My son drives this car every day and I'm worried about the safety of the car.

- Dalton, GA, USA

Sep 012010

Malibu 6-cyl

My 2005 Malibu started making a ┐thumping┐ sound coming from the steering column when turning left or right. It seems to occur as the steering wheel returns to center. I have researched this enough to know that if it gets worse I probably will need to replace the steering column. I called GM customer service and told them that I considered this to be a very serious safety problem (based on my research of numerous vehicles with failed steering components) they were very sympathetic but totally unconcerned about the problem. I was told that they would not pay for any repairs because the vehicle was out of warranty. My car has just over 42,000 miles. I strongly believe that this is a safety related defect in the steering column.

- Monroe, WA, USA

Jul 122010

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that there was a popping noise in the steering when hitting a rough spot or bump in the road. The mechanic replaced the tie rods but that did not resolve the issue. A new steering unit was installed and this seemed to resolve the failure. The current and failure mileage was 20,000. Updated 12/22/10 the outer tie rod was replaced. Updated 12/30/10

- Toms River , NJ, USA

Sep 192010

I was driving at about 40mph and a warning "power steering "showed up on the drivers information center. The steering wheel became very hard to steer. I pulled over shut off the car and restarted it and everything worked fine. This has happened 2 other times under similar conditions.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Sep 022010

Malibu 6-cyl

Steering issues with the car since I bought it, brand new. Took it to a garage twice and was told that these particular cars were having electrical problems with the electronic steering. Today my power steering system failed as I was driving to work. I see numerous complaints about the same issue on the internet but still not recall.

- Christiansburg, VA, USA