2006 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 15 of 28)

Jan 182012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the power steering warning lamp illuminated and the power steering failed. The contact stated that after turning the vehicle completely off and restarting, the power steering regained normal functions. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnosis or repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 135,277.

- Kokomo, IN, USA

Jan 042010

Malibu

The power steering goes out when making right or left hand turns. Or when the temp in the vehicle is hot the steering won't stay on at all. The dealer told me that there was a special warreny enancement issued but no recall. This means that a milage limit of 100,000 miles is in place. So this will cost me $1200 to fix for something that they know is wrong with this vehicle. I guess someone has to be killed or injured before something is done.

- Helendale, CA, USA

Dec 212011

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving on the freeway at 65 mph when the power steering indicator came on with four bell tones - I lost the ability to easily steer the car. I had to struggle to get the car steered off the freeway. I turned the car off then on and power steering resumed. I got back on the freeway and within 15 minutes the problem occurred again and I had to struggle just to steer. This is a very dangerous situation as if the power steering totally locks up it can cause an accident. The power steering on the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu is electronic and its the same problem that the 2004 version was recalled for per my mechanic.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Dec 262011

Malibu 6-cyl

When pulling out of my driveway, power steering illuminated across the screen and then steering was lost. I turned the car off and on 5 times but the same message kept reappearing with returned inability to steer.

- Erie, PA, USA

Dec 112011

Malibu 4-cyl

I was just backing up at church and the dinging noise came on like when your car door is open. I look at the information on the screen and it says power steering. I could not turn my car without using 2 hands to do it. I was able to drive it home (2 blocks). After looking up the problem online and seeing so many complaints about the same problem and suggesting I turn off the car and turn it back on, I went out to try it and it worked. It's as if I had no problem at all. I went around the block and didn't have a problem, but what if I'm on the highway and it does it again. I think there should be a recall on this. I have had several problems with my front end. Left front lower ball joint and both stabilizer end links loose, replaced control arm, axle falling off, shaft, you name it. And I don't abuse my car. Just want to add yet another complaint to the rest. And yes, this will be my last Chevy. We are now depending on our 1997 Ford Ranger with 212,000 miles on it. My Chevy has 85,000. To say the least, I don't feel safe driving this car anymore. I always feel like I'm just minutes away from something going wrong with the front end. I feel like I need a safety inspection every month.

- Newaygo, MI, USA

Sep 152011

Malibu 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Malibu 2.2 / 4cl. The power steering stops working, this vehicle does not have a regular power steering system, I believe it is electronic. The problem is while you drive at any speed the steering becomes hard to steer, no power at all, creating a very difficult and dangerous situation that can cause a deadly accident. There is no recall yet we believe. But there are several, many situations like this one, no power steering while driving at any speed, suddenly stops working.

- Dumfries, VA, USA

Dec 022011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while in reverse, the steering failed without warning. The contact had to apply abrupt force to the steering wheel in order to control the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the dealer performed a diagnostic and located the failure at the steering column. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 61,000.

- Hulbert , OK, USA

Feb 012010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated when she applied pressure to the brakes, the brake light would not illuminate and when it would illuminate, it would not shut off. In addition, she noticed that the check engine warning light was also illuminated. When attempting to accelerate, the vehicle would exhibit an abnormal knocking from the engine followed by a violent jerking. The steering wheel also seized intermittently, making it difficult to control the vehicle. The dealer replaced the oxygen banks one and two, core pack, spark plugs and the prongs. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The current mileage was 155,000 and the approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Memphis , TN, USA

Aug 202011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact was driving approximately 7 mph and unexpectedly the steering wheel locked with an illumination of the power steering warning indicator. In addition, a chime sounded inside the vehicle. The contact drove into a parking space and turned the engine off. Upon restarting, the vehicle resumed normally. The identical failure occurred three different times. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the steering malfunction. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Nov 042011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 20 mph, the power steering failed to operate with the illumination of the warning indicator. The contact drove to the side of the road and parked the vehicle in a safe location. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. Prior to the failure, the steering wheel would vibrate upon starting the engine. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 107,000.

- Towson, MD, USA

Nov 012011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 35 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics and the vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Nov 152011

Malibu 6-cyl

Turned steering wheel left to exit a fueling pump and the power steering went out. The panel display indicated "power steering" and an indicator on the dash had a amber color icon with a wrench. Had to use a lot of force to turn vehicle to a safe place and turned the car off. Got out and looked under the hood but could not discern any obvious problem. Turned the car back on and the problem did not reappear as driving home approx. 2 miles from service station. Concerned because of the comments seen on the internet regarding owners having similar experiences with these vehicles. Fortunately, my speed was minimal. It would be virtually impossible to control the vehicle if this happened at high speed on a highway. GM needs to recall.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 012011

Malibu 4-cyl

When making turns, whether left or right, the power steering in this car fails. Luckily I am one of the fortunate ones (so far) that it goes out at lower rates of speed. A couple of times, I barely made it into the parking lot and avoided hitting any cars while making that turn. The thing that I fear is that when it starts to snow or if I have to make some evasive moves to avoid objects, the power steering will go out and I will be unable to correct it.

- Maple Valley, WA, USA

Oct 042011

Malibu 6-cyl

After backing out of my driveway, I started down the road and my steering wheel locked up. I was able to pull to the side of the road and turn the car off. I restarted the car and it seemed fine. I didn't want to take any chances so turned around and pulled back into the driveway. I have started the car several times but the steering is still locked up. My car has only 48000 miles on it and would like to see a recall. I have read many, many complaints on this same situation.

- Florence, AZ, USA

Aug 012011

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving at any speed when the steering wheel was turned to the left it locked. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the local mechanic who performed a diagnostic test that located the failure in the power steering column. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage is 85,000. Updated 12/12/11 updated 12/23/11

- Clayton , NC, USA

Nov 012011

Malibu 6-cyl

Power steering failure. Had began to drive out of a parking lot when power steering went out and was very difficult to turn steering wheel. Car has electrical power steering. I tried to step on brake, shift gear into park then back in drive but still could not get steering wheel to turn. Was extremely difficult and would have been very dangerous if had happened while driving on a freeway with my kids. I have found a multiple sites with the same similar complaints about the 2006 Chevy Malibu from people who had this happened to them. They have even had mechanics try to troubleshoot and charge them horrendous amounts for repairs but continued having issues after either the steering wheel column was replaced, coils and harness were replaced, or other parts that mechanics tried troubleshooting. Something must be done to issue a recall for this problem to be corrected before it does take someone's life.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Jun 012010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 45 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated on the instrument panel and the steering wheel became extremely stiff and difficult to maneuver. The steering wheel would occasionally shake. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostics. The contact stated he was a mechanic and after inspecting the vehicle, he stated that the steering column would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Oct 012011

Malibu 4-cyl

I have only had my 2006 Chevrolet Malibu for 6 weeks, and I already am experiencing 3 major problems. 1. the fuel gauge will go wild anytime gas is added to the tank, and as the weeks have gone by it is less accurate. I only know when my gas tank is full or empty. I have no idea on anything in between. 2. when I will start the car the power steering will not come on with the car. I will have to turn the car off, remove the key and open and shut the door to register the next try as a truly new start. If you fail to open and close the door, the car does not completely power down so it will not recycle. 3. the power steering assist will begin to lock up on me while driving, and I will have to fight the wheel to keep the car going straight. I have let go of the wheel once or twice and the wheel will turn enough in one direction to nearly do a uturn. If this were to happen when a driver was inattentive, im pretty sure it would cause one heck of a accident! the worst part is that the dealer I bought the car from had the car for 8 months, so they must have know about these defects and sold it to me anyways. The dealer put gas in the car before we did the paperwork. I know the guy saw the gas gauge going nuts, and that's why he insisted on being the one to drive the car to the gas station. I think they might have reset the computer to get the car to behave for test drives, because I had only put 40 miles on it before all this stuff started. Certainly not a coincidence.

- Kansas City , KS, USA

Oct 262011

Malibu 6-cyl

This has been a good car for the most part great on gas but last week the brakes felt real hard to push so I replace with new brakes front and rear the old brakes looked almost new now the brake tail light come when you start the car and don't go off unless you depress them. Drivers think your stopping when your driving and when braking they cant tell because lights go out.also for the past 3 years the power steering light comes on and you lose your steering control I wonder if and when someone has to die before GM recalls and fix the problems.

- Picayune, MS, USA

Oct 242011

Malibu 6-cyl

I was pulling out of my parking spot and my steering completely locked up on me. I almost hit my neighbors vehicle. With much effort I was able to get my car out of the street and onto the side of the road.

- Fort Leavenworth, KS, USA