2006 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 28 of 29)

Feb 242009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving less than 15 mph on a dirt covered road, the power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. Immediately following, the contact heard three chimes sounding and the steering wheel became locked. The warning indicator remained lit until the engine was turned off. The driver had to exert greater force in order to turn the steering wheel. The vehicle was cautiously driven to his residence and then taken to an independent mechanic for inspection. A front end wheel alignment was performed. The contact took the vehicle to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing. Currently, the contact is waiting on a response from the technician regarding the cause of the failure. The failure and current mileages were 61,987.

- Holly, MI, USA

Feb 242009

Malibu

The electric power assist periodically fails. It fails when you crank your car and will not operate correctly until you shut the car down and restart.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Dec 012007

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While still under warranty, the vehicle's steering column began making a knocking noise under the dashboard. The failure occurred while driving 15 mph. The dealer replaced the steering column, but the noise recurred six months later. The contact took the vehicle back to the dealer and they stated that the vehicle was no longer under warranty; therefore, she would be responsible for the repairs. The manufacturer did not assist. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 34,000 and current mileage was 60,000.

- Marshall, AR, USA

Jan 012009

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact heard a thumping sound coming from the steering column. She also experienced a lot of play in the steering wheel when making left and right turns. The dealer stated that the steering gear, intermediate steering shaft, and steering assembly needed to be replaced at the estimated cost of over $1,000. There were no recalls for the failures. The failure and current mileages were less than 35,819. Updated 03-06-09 updated 03/09/09.

- Sidney, ME, USA

Nov 062008

Malibu

I have a power steering problem, it keeps on shutting off on me while I am driving this is very unsafe and can kill some one day I am thinking of trading off my car because of all the problems I have had with it.. GM should do something about the problem millions of people are having.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Dec 262008

Malibu

Purchased vehicle in July 2006. Certified used. Kept hearing noise, knocking from left front. Took vehicle to dealer 2-3 times until they replaced a part. Noise returned some weeks later. Now the electronic steering is malfunctioning. When the steering is turned to make a right turn the "power steering " warning light comes on and the wheel stiffens making it difficult to turn and very dangerous to drive. Dealer says car need power steering column and module which is very expensive. I have also been informed that it is not covered under warranty or the very expensive extended warranty they sold me.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Mar 222008

Malibu

I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu that I have replaced the steering gear twice!! the car is not that old and should be more reliable than that. I was told if the steering had gone out on me while on the expressway, (which I drive every day),I could have been seriously injured or killed. I am afraid this is a recurring problem.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Oct 222008

Malibu

My 2006 Chevy Malibu power steering keeps going out, I have done some research on the internet and this sounds like a problem that other Malibu owners are having, it goes out different times even when im driving down the road, sometimes I can turn the car off and then turn it back on and it will start working again. This problem needs to be addressed, thank you.

- Waynesburg, KY, USA

Nov 292008

Malibu

My 2006 Chevrolet Malibu loses it's electronically assisted steering usually half way through a turn usually without warning. I am afraid that it will go out at a bad time and cause an accident so far there seems to be no recall but I have been on a few different forums where ten or more people have had the same problem.

- Chippewa Falls, WI, USA

Aug 102008

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving less than 50 mph, the power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The steering wheel then locked in place, preventing the contact from moving the wheel left or right. On a separate occasion, while driving less than 50 mph, the vehicle began turning left on its own. The steering wheel was locked and the vehicle coasted off the road on its own as well. The dealer stated that the steering column failed and could be repaired at the cost of $700. The vehicle has not yet been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 50,000. Updated 11/25/08. Updated 11/25/08.

- Dalton, GA, USA

Jun 222008

Malibu

Steering wheel jerks uncontrollably. Have taken it to dealership for repair twice. Steering column replaced first time and second time was told no mechanical problems. However driving down the road the steering wheel jerks so bad that it will pull vehicle from one lane to next or it will pull vehicle all over the roadway.

- Port Neches , TX, USA

Aug 262008

Malibu

2006 Chevrolet Malibu power steering illuminates on dash(radio), 2005 models were a recall and it keeps coming on and sometimes lose of steering when started. It has 43,000 miles and not on warranty because steering column is not covered, its a problem nationwide as I researched. I could potentially be dangerous when driving around turns if loss of power. I bought it used but was fine until 2 months after.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jul 272008

Malibu

On July 27,2008 I started my 2006 Malibu. Across the control panel it said power steering and I could not turn my steering wheel. I turned my car off and restarted it and it was ok. It has done this numerous times since. It has also started going out while driving down the road. Making the car very hard to steer/control. There is also alot of shaking of my steering wheel. Sometimes while driving the steering wheel will jerk to one side. It makes me very nervous to drive in traffic because it is very unpredictable. I feel like this is safety issue that needs to be recalled. It is really sad that so many families lives are in danger because of the unpredictability of this problem. Not only is my family in danger but the lives of others as well.

- Wills Point, TX, USA

May 012008

Malibu

I own a 2006 chev Malibu ss. All was fine until a year ago. I noticed a "bump" in the steering while turning left. Dealership told me that they would lube the steering shaft. Now there is a "bump in steering and follow up bump as the wheels return to straight. There is also a rubbing noise while turning. The car is also pulling to the right. I had the alignment checked and it was in perfect order. After the "checkup" the car pulled harder to the right and the "noises" were more pronounced. I noticed that there was a recall for 1997 for issues that sound all too familiar. Chevy is fixing my car under my warranty. Approximate incident date is "about" when the issues first started.

- Round Hill, VA, USA

Aug 112008

Malibu

Shaking in steering wheel when brakes are applied, this happen everytime I apply the brakes. The dealer resurfaced front rotors and replaced pads..car still have a grinding noise in front wheelarea dealer said that the replacement pads are causing the grinding and there's nothing that can be done to stop the grinding because of the way the replacement pas are designed. This car is not safe to drive and I told the dealership this and they claim it is safe.

- Newburgh, NY, USA

Jul 012008

Malibu

Approximately 6 months ago, I started feeling a tug in my steering when I would make a left hand turn. Then it gradually moved to a pulling of my steering wheel, where you could visibly see my steering wheel move without me touching it. Then at times it almost felt like you were steering on an icy road. Within the last month I have been experiencing my power steering going completely out. Numerous times I have had to turn off my car then restart it to reset it. There has been three instances were my husband or myself has been driving the vehicle on the highway and my message board sound with a message "power steering", the power steering goes out, then it is nearly impossible to drive. We have had to quickly try to get over to the shoulder to turn the car off and on. My husband can physically steer the car when it is like that, I can not though. I feel that this is a tremendous hazard and I am concerned with getting in an accident because of it. We went to the repair shop (car is past the warranty) and they said the estimate will be close to $3,500. Apparently they have had to fix 2 Malibu's already and knew exactly what I was talking about. It is ashamed that this has not been a recall. I have seen numerous complaint on the internet, but haven't heard anything from Chevrolet.

- Winfield, MO, USA

Aug 042008

Malibu

Power steering unit (eps) for 2006 Chevy Malibu fails car becomes diffcult to turn or maneuver.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jul 012008

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving between 1 -75 mph, the steering wheel would have a lot of "play". the wheel would make driving easy at times, but harder at other times. While the vehicle was not moving, the steering wheel would continue to move around. While driving at various speeds or turning into a tight space, it was difficult to estimate how far to turn the steering wheel. The failure mileage was 58,000 and current mileage was 59,000. The dealer replaced the steering column due to a faulty torque sensor and the steering wheel ponsition sensor. Updated 09/18/08.

- Alburn, PA, USA

Jun 242008

Malibu

I was driving along the highway and slowed down to turn to go to the pharmacy. My steering went completely out and I had to coast off road into pharmacy parking lot. Unable to turn steering wheel. Had to have car towed. Steering motor was out on car. It costs almost $900 for repair. Not covered under warranty. Service dept told me he had seen other Chevy Malibu's with same problem.

- Mitchell, IN, USA

Feb 262008

Malibu

I purchased a 2006 used Chevy-Malibu on Feb. 22-2008. With 3600 mileage. After driving for 2 weeks the steering wheel would lock-up along with a bell going off and a light flashing steering wheel problems (the light stayed on for a short period of time). I tried to steer with the car operating in manual steering which was very hard to do since I'm 72 years old. I let the car drift to a parking lot and proceeded to cut the motor off and start again to try to get power steering in an operative mode. This happened to me a number of times. Coming out of my driveway there is a fire hydrant and the wheel locked and I could not turn away from the hydrant in time and I hit it. I was turning a corner in to traffic and it locked again. I called the dealership and they said to take it to someone that required that I leave it overnight. But the shop was quite a distance from my home. I waited until July and called the salesman who works at a different place now and he said I could take to any Chevrolet dealer to have it repaired. I have an extended warranty with zurich. The repair shop states that they don't cover all the cost to get it repaired less $200 out of pocket. I want to know if there has been some other complaints or if there is a recall on this type vehicle.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA