2006 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 27 of 29)

Apr 262008

Malibu

My car was driving decent then one day out of the blue I was pulling out of my driveway and the power steering went out. After sitting for a while trying to figure out what was wrong it reset itself. Then while turning in a major intersection it went out again leaving me barely able to get through the intersection on to the side of the road out of traffic. Again the power steering went out 4 more times that day on my way to the dealership. They tell me it has to have a new steering column and motor which we do to the sound of $500. Two months later backing out of my driveway and it starts again. I have 3 young children and afraid that one day we may not be able to get through the intersection since there is no warning when this may occur. This is a sever danger to not only me but to those unfortunate to be around me when this happens, not to mention I am now out $500 dollars and the problem is still there.

- Edgewood, TX, USA

Jun 102009

Malibu

Wife, mother-in-law, and two daughters on 400 mile trip while traveling approximately 70mph on interstate, the car makes a sudden and violent left turn. My wife pulls hard to keep the car on the highway and manages to keep control. After determining there was no fix, they proceeded home with constant pressure on the wheel to keep it from turning left. At home I inspected the car. When you start it, the wheel will turn full left all by itself. I can turn it right with alot of effort, but if I let go or slip, it turns full left. There is no lights, bells, warnings or anything. Took the car to the dealer, and they said the electric power steering column was way out of calibration, and I had them calibrate it. It worked for 1 day and not turns right. GM refuses to admit this is a safety issue, but I don't see how it cannot be. The owner is a 65 year old lady on ss and cannot afford the $850 repair bill and GM does not admit any issues. She cannot safely drive the car without it trying to turn to the ditch at any moment. Right now it is constantly turning to the right.

- Sapulpa, OK, USA

Jul 152009

Malibu

While driving, I accelerated and turned right to switch lanes, it was fairly hard acceleration. Suddenly during the acceleration I lost the power steering assist, it almost felt like the steering locked up and fought my turning the steering wheel. After I let up on the accelerator the power assist returned. This is the second time this has occurred, the first time in June 2009. At that time a warning chime went off and a power steering warning flashed briefly on the dic display.

- Chanhassen, MN, USA

Jul 122009

Malibu

2006 Chevy Malibu 3500 3.5 L V6 power steering goes out. My steering wheel locks up. Almost hit a car in the other lane.

- Wyoming, MN, USA

Jul 082009

Malibu

I have a 2006 Malibu which we purchased last may with 50K miles. The car originally started making a clunking noise when turning about 6 months after we bought it. That I can live with but now we have power steering problems. The power steering comes & goes & the steering wheel starts vibrating & turning all on its own. We took the car to the shop & discovered that the steering column needs replaced. After researching the last few months on the net I've seen that this problem is huge in all Malibu's 2004 - 2008 models. I find a GM parts bulletin in which you can get these parts replaced at GM's cost for a 2005 with the same problem but nothing for a 2006. I feel like this should be a recall because it can be life threatening. The car gives you no warning of a problem, the steering wheel just starts going crazy. Special bulletin in reference to the 2005 model is #07126. How can GM justify only replacing 2005 models when all seem to have the same defect. Please let me know if there is a parts bulletin & if I'm just over looking it. Thanks rhonda barnes

- Ripley, MS, USA

Jul 032009

Malibu

My steering wheel locks up tight.. cannot use have to pull off road wherever I'm at...2006 Chevy Malibu...was looking online and it is very common with the make... will GM wait until people die before they go good with this problem? they are aware and don't seem to care...this year and model should have recall on the steering column....very dangerous.

- Truro, 00, USA

Apr 152009

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering fails intermittently. The failure has progressively worsened. While driving 15 mph, the steering wheel locks up when it is turned in either direction, which makes controlling the vehicle almost impossible. The contact must turn off and restart the engine in order to regain control of the steering. The vehicle was taken to the repair shop and the mechanic stated that several other consumers were experiencing the same issue. The mechanic further stated that the computer module in the dashboard needed to be replaced. The vehicle has not been repaired and the contact feels that a recall should be issued. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 78,000 and current mileage was 80,000. Updated 08/04/09 updated 08/06/09.

- Hickory, NC, USA

May 232009

Malibu

2006 Chevrolet Malibu. Electric power steering failure. Currently the steering wheel constantly turns to the left. This happened while on a vacation to ms with my wife, grandmother, and daughter was the only occupants in the vehicle. Luckily it happened while my wife was driving and she was able to maintain control. If at any time you let go of the wheel, it will turn your sharp left. While setting still, when you let go of the wheel, it will turn completely left all by itself, so you can imagine what would happen while going down the road. There needs to be a recall for this as it is a serious safety hazard.

- Sapulpa, OK, USA

Jun 302009

Malibu

I purchased a Malibu in Nov 2007, when I got the car and summer came the steering went out, I could not steer. Luckily for me its when I was still in my driveway. I turned the car off and back on and all was well. I noticed at times while driving it was as if a hand took over the steering it had its own mind, I asked my stepfather and he said it happened while the air conditioner was on so I let it go as that and now I am sorry as my warranty is over by 2000 miles. Well only one more time during that summer did I loose steering again in my driveway. Yesterday however my steering went out four times while driving in town, I had to pull over four times and restart my car, it was very hard to steer to the side of the road as I am 50 and had broken my arm 2 years ago with not much less muscle tone in that arm. I live in the mountains and when leaving town I go through steep grades to get anywhere and that day I had to take my son two hours away to the V.a. by reading on this site I see many complaints about this problem, will it take a death caused by this to do a recall" electronic steering? are they crazy" I no longer feel safe in my car and cannot afford another one. Please consider pushing for a recall before someone looses their life, and when they do a huge lawsuit will be made against GM for looking the other way and ignoring the issue.

- Enterprise, OR, USA

Jun 202009

Malibu

Complaint about steering : rack and pinion I purchased the 2006 Chevy Malibu a few months ago from a local used car dealer near allentown, Pennsylvania. A month or so later I began hearing a popping when I turned. I took it to the mechanic and it turned out to be a rack and pinion fault. The estimated cost with reprogramming is $600. I know a lot of people with the 06 Malibu have been having this problem. GM should recall. I just don't have that kind of money to pay for the rack and pinion fault.

- Allentown, PA, USA

May 172009

Malibu

2006 Chevrolet Malibu 3500 engine, car steering stops controlling when driving, almost hit couple of cars on the road, read online lots of problems with steering, this could be deadly, if anything happens to me driving the car GM will be sued and am sure all the people has same problem will sue GM too.

- Brownstown, MI, USA

Apr 282009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While making a left turn into the driveway at 15 mph, the power steering failed and the contact heard a ringing noise. The radio display screen began to flash "power steering". the contact was able to finish parking the vehicle. She called the dealer and was informed that the steering was computer-assisted. The vehicle did not have a steering pump of any sort and she was advised to take the vehicle to the dealer as soon as possible. The dealer stated that the entire steering column needed to be replaced. The computerized steering system became confused and caused the malfunction. The contact is responsible for the repair costs; however, she believes that the manufacturer should be liable. The vehicle is currently at the contact's residence and has not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were 68,000. Updated 08/28/09. The dealer recommended replacing the steering column assembly. Updated 09/02/09.

- Rancho Cordova, CA, USA

Apr 262009

Malibu

The power steering light is on and the research I have done leads to me to believe that there is no way to fix the electric power steering in the 2006 Chevy Malibu lt. I will like to have this on file as a complaint to the mfr for not making this a recall. I am sure its because it costs too much to fix this particular item in the vehicle. Some customers have had this going on for a while with their vehicles and have to live with it due to the fact that even the dealership can't fix the problem. This is highway robbery and GM should not be able to get away with this. I am not sure how to make them see the error in their decision to ignore this. This is a dangerous defect and before someone is hurt they should recall it. I will like to have some guidance on how to take this directly to the dealership and whom else I can contact to let them know this is happening. Please help. I can't afford to get another vehicle. I really want my car and I just want to get it fixed. It's a shame that GM can't stand by their product once its driven off the lot. This is a mfr default and it should constitute a recall right away.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 162009

Malibu

I was backing out of a parking spot when my power steering failed and I did get an error message on my display. The dealers computer only said "electrical", but it was not associate with any part so they could find nothing wrong with the vehicle. The power steering returned after turning the car off and then on again.

- Haverhill, MA, USA

Mar 012009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. Whenever the contact makes a right turn in the vehicle, the wheels lock up. She also heard a knocking sound coming from the steering wheel. In order to turn, the vehicle must be traveling at least 14 mph. The contact discovered online that several vehicles were experiencing the same issue. Each mechanic that the contact has taken the vehicle to could not correct the failure. She feels that Chevrolet should repair the vehicle due to the safety issue. The current mileage was 80,000 and failure mileage was 60,000.

- Nicoma Park, OK, USA

Mar 062009

Malibu

I was having problems with my car shaking when driving, so I had my tires checked but it was not the tires. The problem was my outer tie rod ends need to be replaced. My car is a 2006 Chevy Malibu, which is in good condition & regularly serviced. There are three other people I know personally with the same model car that is having the same problems. After taking my car to the shop, I found that is a hard part to locate because they are suppose to last for years before needing to be replaced. I think the Chevrolet dealer should further investigate this because its not fair to the consumers to have suffer the expense of the repair.

- Mobile, AL, USA

May 302006

Malibu

38K mile 2006 Chevy Malibu V-6-car shakes/vibrates/shimmies. It also rattles and clunks underneath at all speeds, feels like the bottom is falling out. Dealer refuses to acknowledge a minimum of 7 complaints. Headlights lenses are loose and the lights shake all over the place. Dealer did finally acknowledge headlight issue after the 4th complaint and I was told it is a GM problem but they have no fix and there is nothing they can do. Now that the warranty is up, they are acknowledging all previous complaints (many more than just the couple I listed here) but at my expense when these issues S/H/B taken care of at the time of the original and numerous complaints.

- Henrietta, NY, USA

Jan 042008

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 70 mph on normal road conditions, the steering wheel locked without warning. Immediately, the contact depressed the brake pedal and pulled over to the side of the road. The gear shifter was placed into park and the contact made several attempts before the steering column unlocked. The vehicle then resumed normal operation. When he reached his destination, the power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. Suddenly, the steering wheel began to vibrate violently and made a grinding noise. The failures occurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing and then repaired. On five separate occasions, the vehicle was taken back to the dealer, but the failure was not corrected. The vehicle is currently being repaired again. The cause of the failure has not been determined. The failure mileage was 16,000 and current mileage was 25,000.

- Odessa, TX, USA

Mar 032009

Malibu

When accelerating to pass 4th to 2nd gear under high engine rpms the warning bell chimes 3 to 4 times and the electronic steering locks up. As soon as I release the accelerator and the vehicle upshifts I have full steering as if nothing ever happened. This has happened to me numerous times so as an experiment I tried turning the vehicle when the electronic steering locked and the vehicle would not move, it felt like I was going to break the steering wheel off the vehicle. I have 4 different invoices stating this problem to chase Chevy service department. I also have 3 different invoices in which they tried to correct the problem and have failed. 1st invoice cause: PCM engine-reprogramming with sps 89 w. 2nd cause: Dtc C0900 found intermittent failure at the voltage regulator for the electronic power steering. 3rd cause: C0900 added grounding strap to coil (pulling to much voltage) there bulletin matching my complaint is #2133820. How long is this going to go on before I crash my vehicle due to a steering failure. I have found multiple websites with people having these same type of problems with my model year and some of the previous years. I will yet again be taking my vehicle to the service department for them to do a cheap fix; if anything at all. GM needs to step up and claim responsibility before their electronic power steering system starts clamming lives. My next step after the service department will be catching their electronic power steering system failing on video camera and demonstrate that the vehicle is out of control due to the fact that you cannot turn neither left nor right. I am sure some news organizations will be interested in this footage! how lives are in jeopardy and no one is bothering to do anything. This has happened since I have purchased my vehicle to present which is approx. 50,000 miles of driving. How long will my luck continue?

- Valley Springs, CA, USA

Mar 022009

Malibu

2006 Chevrolet Malibu. Electric assisted steering will shut down. Turning of the car is virtually impossible at slow speeds. Same problem that is reported by many on the preceding year.

- Brighton, TN, USA