2006 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 26 of 29)

Oct 272009

Malibu

Bought a new Chevy Malibu in July of 2006--we have fought tires on it since day 1 and no one would stand behind them--the rims won't seal around the tires. We have replaced the tires and no luck. We have had to "air them up" every other day since we purchased it. Yesterday while driving--my power steering just decided to quit working. If I shut the car off and wait 15 minutes--it will be fine again--until the car gets warm at which point it locks up again. This is a very dangerous issue as you never know when it will happen. I am told there is no recall and the dealership isn't aware of any issues with it. When I went online for help--there are many people having the same issue.

- Elk Run Heights, IA, USA

Oct 262009

Malibu

1. intermittent power steering alert on driver information center 2. power steering alert comes on and then the power steering turns off while driving. (intermittent). 3. was brought to repair place, and it is currently being repaired.

- Los Osos, CA, USA

Oct 072009

Malibu

2006 Malibu power steering trouble light came, dealer diagnosed as sensor in steering column. Was told steering could go out if sensor fails. Found out there are numerous Malibu involved.

- Hamilton, MS, USA

Sep 012009

Malibu

Power steering failure in a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu when making a left turn at low speed. Same problem was recalled in 2004 Malibu's but no recall on 2006. When power steering goes out, car has to be manually turned until you can turn car off and restart so power steering will be activated again. Very dangerous when you are in traffic and have to stop and start car again.

- Chester, VA, USA

Oct 132009

Malibu

Power steering cut out at random times.

- Sand Springs, OK, USA

Oct 252006

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 60 mph on normal road conditions, the steering wheel locked without warning. The driver intermittently experienced extreme difficulty while steering. The vehicle was steered in one direction and suddenly, within a few seconds there was a clicking noise; followed by the steering wheel system locking. The contact was able to resume normal operation. The authorized dealer was notified of the malfunction. The contact had concerns of the safety risk involved. The failure mileage was unavailable. The current mileage was 97,912.

- Baltimore , MD, USA

Sep 192009

Malibu

I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu that has a system error "low steering fluid". the kicker is the car doesn't take fluid. I call the dealer and they state there is a discussion of recall for the electronic steering but nothing yet. Reading on line this appears to potentially be a major safety problem. Is this car at risk to drive if I can't afford to fix this problem right now?

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Sep 262007

Malibu

GM/Chevrolet/Malibu 2006 1st occurrence about a month ago. Three times - several hundred miles apart. Power steering fails when car in motion - manual steering requires significant effort to get car to side of road. Turning the ignition off then restarting the car reset the power steering. No indication on instrument panel before or after. Immediately called dealer. They said there might be an overvoltage problem and would order the part. Have heard nothing more. (springhill motors - springhill, la) today the power steering failed three times in less than a mile. Finally muscled the car home without power assisted steering. I was able to reset the power steering while in park. While still in park, turning the wheel the slightest bit to the left causes power steering to fail. If wheel turned right immediately after restart, the steering does not fail - but turning it back to the left brings immediate failure. If this has not become an issue and a recall, it certainly needs to become one. I doubt I would have been able to react in time had I been on at highway speed in a curve. The initial feeling is not that steering has become difficult, rather that steering has become locked and impossible.

- Natchitoches, LA, USA

Sep 212009

Malibu

Today 21 September 2009, the electronic assist power steering on our 2006 Chevrolet Malibu stopped functioning, resulting in the vehicle aggressively pulling to the left. The result of this failure at highway speed makes this vehicle unsafe for passengers and for other vehicles adjacent to the car. Attempts to correct this failure by resetting the ECU have failed, and the vehicle continues to pull aggressively to the left even while stationary.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Aug 192009

Malibu

2006 Chevrolet Malibu displayed "power steering" on information screen while driving. Other times, all the dash displays go dark for several seconds. Sometimes the dash displays take several seconds to "light up" on starting the car. Dealer found no "codes" to indicate what the problem is. Dealer speculates there is an internal short in steering motor.

- Chanhassen, MN, USA

Sep 132009

Malibu

We have a steering problem. The car now has 19,636 miles on it. Earlier this year while I was coming home from work the steering locked up on it. I managed to get off the road. But it's very difficult to steer. A power steering warning message came on. Last week the same thing happened but this time I was still on the parking lot. When you turn the car off and restart, the steering will be ok but I never know when it'll lock up again. It makes me scared to drive it. My husband took it to the dealership but nothing showed up when it was tested. I contacted GM with the problem. It's awful to have a nice car and to be afraid you'll have an accident when you drive it.

- Gallipolis, OH, USA

Sep 112009

Malibu

Power steering warning indicator on dic, eps motor failure. The steering will lock up while in the middle of driving. Typically, worse in highway speeds. Very dangerous! the vehicle is 3 years old and has been replace 14 months ago. Now, needs the eps motor replaced again. Screams of product flaw/defeat to me. Chevy should do something before someone is killed.

- Aubrey, TX, USA

Sep 102009

Malibu

Electric power steering locks up at any speed.

- Aubrey, TX, USA

Sep 072009

Malibu

Power steering failure on Chevy Malibu 2006 GM. The power steering light almost always pops up on the dashboard. It was most worst when the steering wheel locked on me on a 70 mph highway and I was going about 65. This put my family's life in danger and mine, but were able to avoid an accident. By putting the car in neutral and restarting the car.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Jun 292009

Malibu

The power steering on our 2006 Chevy Malibu locks up intermittently. Just purchased it as a used vehicle two weeks ago for our 16 year old daughter and it has already happened twice. Each time we have brought it into the dealership. The first time they said there was nothing wrong and it checked out fine. We didn't even have the car back a week and it happened again. It is a definite safety hazard, especially for a new and inexperienced driver. It is in the shop now and they say it needs a new steering column assembly. I have researched this problem via internet and found numerous similar stories. There have been people who have hit guard rails and other vehicles because of the steering locking up. The most recent incident date is listed below.

- Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

Aug 232009

Malibu

Steering wheel locks up while driving - happens at random - at all different times. Dealer acted like it was no big deal and of course they want me to pay for it when I have now found out that I am not the only one complaining about this problem. It is dangerous, and it could cause fatality. Some kind of new steering system - GM better idea - probably because it is cheaper!!!

- Perkasie, PA, USA

Aug 102009

Malibu

2006 Malibu power steering stop working while driving down the road. There are tons of complaints about this and even a recall on 2005 for the same thing. This problem makes the car unsafe. The dealer thinks they can fix it for about $1000 dollars. This is a safety issue it needs to be taken care off by GM. I am afraid to let my wife drive it. Every other day the !@#$% thing quits working.

- Dell Rapids, SD, USA

Jul 102006

Malibu

Loss of steering while driving. It happens anytime, anyplace, without warning. When you stop and restart it works again sometimes. Restarted 20 times today and did not work. Waited 3 hours steering worked fine. My wife will not drive this car anymore, nor do I want her to. This is definitely a safety problem and needs to be researched and a recall issued. It is a GM defect and they should take some of the millions in tarp money taxpayers are giving them and fix this problem. I called GM and they pretty much told me to get out my wallet and take it to the dealer.

- Fannettsburg, PA, USA

Jul 192009

Malibu

There were no events leading up to the failure. The power steering on my 2006 Chevy Malibu lt 2.2L cuts off without warning. The steering wheel has a tick and makes a grinding noise. When it first started, it only occurred occasionally. Now it happens when I start my car, idling, and while I'm driving. I searched online and found that many other Malibu owners are having the same problem. Thankfully, there have not been any crashes but many close calls.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 272009

Malibu

Steering wheel locks up while driving P.S its not the first time it happens.

- Eagle Pass , TX, USA