2006 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 29)

Dec 152016

Malibu

At random times during heavy acceleration (getting on freeway or hitting passing gear) the steering locks up and pulls hard to the right and you have to fight to keep it under control, after 3 to 5 seconds steering comes back to normal. I have had this happen during a U-turn as well. I have checked recall's and even called GM and there are no recalls. I have had the car check by a local shop and everything seem to be in good working order. I was told by GM to take the car to a certified GM dealer and checked and fixed, my only problem is if one mechanic could not find it will paying a GM mechanic find it? or will I be out my time and cash as this problem happens when ever it wants to and is not consistent at all.

- Marana, AZ, USA

Dec 142016

Malibu

Steering is locking up randomly at times. Power steering cuts out randomly at times making car very hard to steer and control. Note: GM has a recall for this on certain Chevy Malibu's from 2006 to 2007. GM recall number I believe is 14772. GM is refusing to fix this problem for my vehicle under the recall.

- South Park, PA, USA

Dec 132016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a loss of power steering while being operated at a low speed. The power steering warning indicator illuminated. The contact restarted the vehicle and the power steering functioned normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the torque sensor assembly needed to be replaced. Two years prior to the failure, the vehicle was remedied per NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000(steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 250,000.

- Trenton, NC, USA

Jun 012006

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. When accelerating, the power steering warning message illuminated and the power steering would fail. The manufacturer stated that there were no recalls relating to the power steering failure. The failure mileage was approximately 4,000.

- Newport, WA, USA

Dec 042016

Malibu

When puting the car in park the power steering light came on in the computer info section and the steering wheel would not turn but it pulsed or vibrated back and forth side to side. I turned the vehicle off and on a few times and it eventually steering came back and the power steering light went off. The vehicle was stationary when this happened. This mornig 12/05/2016 when I started the car the power steering light came on and steering wheel would not turn without straining hard. After I turned the car off and on the power steering came back but it started the pulsing again. Car was still stationary but I have to drive it today. Pray for me.

- Henryetta, OK, USA

Nov 282016

Malibu

The steering goes out while making turns and highway driving. You can feel it jerk then you have no control of where the car is going. To gain control back you keep turning the wheel in the opposite direction until it catches. This has been a problem for at least 2 years. I have paid several mechanics to repair problem but I still get the same result and I wear out new tires in 3- 4 month period. No one should purchase as many tires as I do! I am sick of it!!!

- Taylor, MI, USA

Dec 022016

Malibu

My car was very difficult to steer and the power steering message appeared on my system. This happens when I am driving the car.it happens on the highway and city street. It happens when I am driving and not turning.

- Warren, RI, USA

Jan 012012

Malibu

I have been complaining about these problems for years to my dealership and haven't received the proper help to get these problems taken care of. I have been having problems dealing with sudden loss of electric power steering. My car steering wheel will lock up as soon as I turn the car on or even in the middle of driving on the highway. This is a hazard and life threatening. I brought my car to the dealership, but they informed me that my car did not have a power steering problem. But my car was notifying me on the screen that it was my power steering and the wheel locks up as well as continues to shake. It is still currently happening and getting worse. My steering shaft makes a lot of noise and I can feel it in the steering wheel when I drive. My break lights as well as head light bulbs are always going out and keep having to buy new ones. I know they will G out sometimes, but how often mines goes out is not normal. The airbag icon on my dashboard as well as the reading on my screen shows that something is wrong with my airbag. I'm afraid that one day it will just explode in my face. I also have electrical problems with my windows and lights in my car. The windows get stuck and only one light in my car works (one of the overhead lights). I had my transmission checked out and they informed me there was no problem (but they told me that about me power steering) and I end up paying to get my solenoids replaced, but I was not reimbursed when I brought it in for the transmission recall. Like I've said, I have been trying to get assistance from the Chevrolet dealership for years with these problems, but they keep telling me I don't have any problems. I really feel my life is in danger with all the problems I am having with this car and I do not feel I am getting the necessary help I need. Can someone just please assist me and help get these problems taken care of.

- Houma, LA, USA

Nov 012016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds, the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 144,000. The VIN was not available.

- St. Peters, MO, USA

Oct 012016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 50 mph, the power steering seized and the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Brookville, IN, USA

Nov 122016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds and attempting to make a right turn, the steering wheel became very difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was serviced per NHTSA campaign number: 16V064000 (steering), but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the steering wheel would seize up when turning. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Arabi, GA, USA

Nov 032016

Malibu

The power steering goes out when parallel parking and most recently has started to go out when turning, making the vehicle very hard to steer. When parallel parking, the wheel stiffens significantly and makes it extremely hard to park. Restarting the car will resolve the issue briefly but the steering will become hard within one or two spins. I previously took this car in for the torque sensor recall, 14772. This same problem persists.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Oct 212016

Malibu

When making turns under 30mph the power steering fails and 3 chimes are heard. Shortly thereafter power steering returns. The latest date this occurred was 10/21/2016 but has happened a couple week prior as well.

- Warwick, NY, USA

Sep 172016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a loss of power steering when accelerating and making a left turn. The power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic motor assembly and electronic steering control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 90,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Brookville, IN, USA

Sep 032016

Malibu

Takata recall/ I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu and in the past month every time I change the turn signals and brake light bulbs they are always blowing for no reason. And my car is starting to get a loud sound when I drive it and steering is getting hard sometime. I've looked for power steering to check fluid but everyone says mine is electric so I took it to auto zone and they said it was electric and I needed to fix the torque sensor assembly in my steering. I pretty sure there is a recall on that part. And also I think there a recall on a part on my transmutation. I'm trying to find out about recalls on my car. Can someone help me cause I've got my kids and grandkids that ride in it every day. Please help me.

- Alcoa, TN, USA

Aug 132016

Malibu

Power steering fails when accelerating. Brought car to vandergriff Chevy initially to be repaired, and was charged over $600. Found out about recall notice, but dealership denied one was issued and refused refund. Continued to have problems. Turn signal lights blow out and must be replaced regularly (about every 3 months). Brought car to graff Chevy for power steering and light signal recall repairs. Continued to have problems. Informed graff Chevy and returned for repairs. Still having the same problems in spite of repairs done.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Jul 202016

Malibu

Electric power steering warning lamp goes is on, very hard to steer car when this occurs, I pull over to side of road shut down and restart and all is ok for a day or two., had torque angle sensor recall done. I drive on the highway a lot and this is very scary. I have read online that some of the Malibu "S have same symptoms my current miles are 58,000/ will be taking it to a Chevy dealer to discuss this ''safety '' issue. Some one my family just had the electric assist replaced free thru Ford, for similar issue. This warning light on my Chevy Malibu will appear at all different driving, city. Turning, highway.

- Wakefield, MA, USA

Jul 202016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 5 mph and attempting to make a right turn, a loud noise emerged from the steering wheel. The failure occurred daily for the past year every time a turn was made. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the intermediate shaft failed. There were no recalls available. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 178,000.

- Riverdale, GA, USA

Jul 172016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While parking the vehicle, the steering wheel became uncontrollable and loose. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the steering column failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering). The failure mileage was approximately 150,000.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Oct 082014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While making a turn at an unknown speed, the electric power steering failed and the steering wheel became extremely difficult to maneuver without warning. The contact had to use excessive force to turn the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the steering shaft torque sensor was replaced. The contact stated that the failure occurred after the vehicle was serviced per NHTSA campaign number: 15V046000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,559.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA