2006 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 28)

Jun 092015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled and all the warning lights illuminated on the instrument cluster. In addition, while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the contact was unsure about what part needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Feb 012016

Malibu

Steering wheel started shaking while driving in a parking lot. It continued shaking even when car was completed stopped. Had to shut car off to stop the steering wheel from shaking.

- Pekin, IL, USA

Nov 152015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel shook violently and seized. The vehicle was serviced under a manufacturer recall where the torque sensor assembly and eps motor controller unit was replaced. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 177,000.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jul 222014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle traveled out of lane independently. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column and torque senor assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired prior to the recall associated with NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering); however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering module would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Velle Vernon, PA, USA

Nov 232015

Malibu

When making a left turn a clunking noise happenes.told by service center its the steering column.I checked internet and found many, many many problems with the chev Malibu with the steering column.there is something wrong with this model.cost about $500 to fix and some people have the problem happen again.

- James Island, CT, USA

Jan 142016

Malibu

At times it's very hard to steer, turning the key to start the car and the engine just cranks and when you let the key off the engine continues to crank.

- Yreka, CA, USA

Nov 022015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized. The contact mentioned that the steering column was too loose nearly causing the contact to lose control of the vehicle, while turning. It was unknown if the vehicle was diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 53,000.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Dec 072015

Malibu

I bought this vehicle used from paul conte Chevrolet in freeport, NY and it had 3 recalls that were not fixed before selling it to me. Now my power steering system malfunctioned to the point where the steering wheel would twitch uncontrollably and then become stiff, making it very difficult and dangerous to steer. I ended up paying for the repairs to the tune of almost $1700 to replace the steering column and steering motor. After doing some research, I found that GM recalled many vehicles of the same year, make, and model as my car but for my specific VIN only the steering torque sensor was recalled. I did get the steering torque sensor recall fixed but my steering was still messed up. This recall did not fix my very serious and potentially dangerous issue. It was only after I authorized the steering column and motor repairs that the issue was resolved. GM customer service is saying that even though I had the same exact issue as the GM recall for other Malibu's, because my specific VIN did not fall under the recall, I will not be getting reimbursed. It is not right that GM be able to get away with this. This serious steering issue could have caused me to crash. I would like to file a complaint against GM for failure to recall all vehicles that were affected by this power steering issue and also request that they reimburse me for fixing an issue that should have been taken care of before I even bought the car. The link below will take you to the official GM statement on this power steering issue. media.GM.com/media/us/en/GM/vehicles.detail.html/content/pages/news/us/en/2014/Mar/0331-power-steering.html

- Garland, TX, USA

Jun 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at a low speed, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who repaired the vehicle under NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 187,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 152015

Malibu

When my wife turned right the steering wheel locked up and lights on dashboard started flashing it scared my wife

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Oct 052015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the power steering warning light illuminated. In addition, while making a left or right turn, there was an abnormal sound coming from the steering column. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering assist module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 114,000.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Oct 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to power steering malfunction while driving. The consumer stated while driving, the steering wheel locked up and the consumer was unable to steer the wheel right or left. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, where the steering column assembly was replaced at a cost of $ $703.90. The consumer submitted sent in a recall for the steering.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 312015

Malibu

Before I seen it was in here, my intermediate shaft went out on my car, and I replaced it. I saw the recall in here and called dorman to have them reimburse me $258 for the part, but they said that their not responsible to replace the part as your inf0rmation in here states, so who is in charge? I have proof I had to replace it and can disclose the information. I just want the $258 I paid to replace it. My vehicle was moving when I heard the noise as I would steer to the right more than the left but both sides made noise.

- Kentwood, MI, USA

Sep 302015

Malibu 6-cyl

While driving on the freeway, the steering wheel locked for a moment; then, it went back to normal. When this happened, the signal light sounded, but the signal light were not on. This has happened to my husband and I, couple of times¿ I am scared to drive my car. I called Chevrolet (dealer) they did not know what it is. I called a friend of mine; he's a mechanic and told me that he did not know either. Thank you

- Antelope, CA, USA

Dec 232014

Malibu

Loss of steering control while driving on expressway at 50+mph. Difficult to maintain control. Able to slow down and exit freeway. Dealer was close by so left on lot overnight. Check engine light also had come on. Dealer reported found code C0550 when running diagnostics. Dealer informed the P/S control module needed replaced. Informed was not covered under a current recall. Dealer had vehicle for over 1 week because first unit did not fix the problem. Search reveals same issue as in bulletin 14118 for model year 2008 Malibu.

- Springfield, OR, USA

Sep 042015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. When turning the steering wheel left or right, there was a popping noise coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 91,000.

- Frankfort , KY, USA

Sep 182015

Malibu

When turn to the left. The steer wheel locks up and you hear 4 chimes. Is there a recall or can this be fixed? thanks stephen squibb 574-536-1667

- Mishawaka , IN, USA

Aug 132015

Malibu

While driving, I lose control of power steering for a brief time. Power steering flashes on my console right before this occurs. The first time, I almost collided with an 18 wheeler while making a left turn. Upon going to the dealer, I was advised it is my Malibu's electric power steering assist motor. This part is covered under the 2008 Malibu recall and certainly should have been included in the 06! this is a grave safety issue that many are experiencing.

- Alto, GA, USA

Feb 032014

Malibu

After (2-3) recalls on steering, after steering sensors replaced also, vehicle okay for about a month, then back to same steering loss issues. Loss of power steering and rumbling of the steering column, to the point it feels like the column and a tire is going to fall off ! my first incident started back in 2013-14, total steering loss and hit a guide rail causing driver front fender damage. After several recall repairs, vehicle still recreates same dangerous failing steering situation ! my family is scared to death to drive this vehicle anymore, its an accident just waiting to happen, over and over again. This is a total column problem in these 2006 Malibu's, not just sensors, switches, etc. These steering columns need replaced. Accidents are inevitable if not addressed totally. Shame on GM for trying to piece this problem out as cheaply as possible. Concerned, ted meixelsberger

- Apollo, PA, USA

Aug 072015

• 1,000,000 miles
Vehicle taken to bloomsburg pa. Chevy dealership for bulletin 14116. Eps motor controller was not replaced as per recall states to replace. Repeated calls and visits to dealership has yielded no results. There invoice after said repairs where made, clearly shows that just sensor assembly was replaced.

- Benton, PA, USA