2.2

2009 Chevrolet Malibu drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 052014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate on several occasions while driving at various speeds. In addition, the contact stated that the power steering, the door locks, windows and rear tail gate failed. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 125,000. MA 10/23/15

- Niantic, CT, USA

May 042015

Malibu

When driving the power steering went out. This has happened 4 times in the past year.

- Muskego , WI, USA

Jul 172015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While attempting to shift into the park position, the gear indicator light would only display reverse and the vehicle would only operate in reverse. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. No further information was available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Ruleville, MS, USA

May 192014

Malibu 4-cyl

Driving in traffic, vehicle suddenly lost power and I had to pull out of traffic, nearly causing an accident. Engine revved, rpms were high. Shut car off, restarted and car would not get out of second gear. I had the car towed to a Chevrolet dealer, who told me my transmission failed due to a wave plate issue. Although 6T70 transmission warranty was extended to some 6 speed 2009 Malibu's, I was told mine was not, even though the problem is known to exist in all GM 6 speed transmissions. This transmission is a definite safety hazard and the 10 year 120K mile extended warranty should be offered to every automobile with this transmission....updated 09/22/15

- Selkirk, NY, USA

May 192015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the gear shift failed to switch into the park position. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the shifter cable kit and bracket needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V224000 (power train). The failure mileage was 130,000.

- East Point, GA, USA

Apr 262014

Malibu

While driving power steering went out. 2014 April 26. Same thing happened a year later the exact date 2015.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Apr 062015

Malibu 4-cyl

Vehicle suddenly starting jerking while driving on main road barely made it home unable to put car in reverse had car towed to dealer wave plate disintegrated and had to have transmission rebuilt. General Motors has issued a special service coverage for certain vehicles with this problem mine is not included and being that this is a known problem they really should include all vehicles affected by this known issue.

- Garfield, NJ, USA

Mar 132015

Malibu

While driving on city street going maybe 35 mph my 3year old who was strapped into his car seat in the backseat began to choke. I immediately pulled over and got out to go to his aid but I couldn't unlock the back door. I panicked and had to try to climb through the small space from the front seat to the back but could not quickly get my choking child out of the car. Later that day I checked the door locks after calming down and I am not able to lock or unlock the doors.I noticed clicking noises but never paid any attention to it as it was not a concern until I could not free my chocking child from the back seat.I just purchased the car used last month. After review the locks on this car is a know'N common problem that is a safety concern. My helpless child was locked in.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Oct 142014

Malibu

I could not shift car into park. I could not turn the key to off. Car was stuck in drive. Had to call a towing service to pick up. The nearest auto shop had to put in park, and fix the shift cable. We were out of $165 dollars, plus rental fees cost of $85 dollars. They kept our car for five days.

- Carson, MS, USA

Jul 012013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 50 mph, the traction control warning light illuminated and the vehicle independently decreased in speed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Knightstown , IN, USA

Jan 282015

Malibu

I was picking my little brother up from school I was at the light and the car started to shake violently and engine reduced power light came on is does this on and off and this is not safe for any driver.

- Bowie , MD, USA

Feb 142013

Malibu

We reported last year to GM that we were without power steering, instead of fixing our car the argued with us that there hasn't been a recall on the power steering. Now we are having problems with the tracking. And the transmission has been slipping since last summer.

- Muscatine, IA, USA

Dec 142013

Malibu 4-cyl

Wave plate failure of transmission resulted in sudden loss of 5th gear and loss of speed at highway speeds. This resulted in a near collision at interstate speeds. Also, while attempting to turn around and get the vehicle to a safe stopping point off the interstate the vehicle lost reverse resulting in a second near T-bone collision due to having to push the vehicle out of the roadway. The vehicle was repaired in 12/2013 at the dealership under warranty a second wave plate failure resulting in loss of transmission occurred in 11/2014.

- Palmyra, VA, USA

Aug 262014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle failed to shift into gear and excessive force was required to depress the accelerator pedal. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,800. Updated 1/7/15 the consumer stated while driving, the vehicle would stick in gear decelerate without apply the brake. Updated 03/03/15

- Salem, NH, USA

Jan 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering failed and the vehicle stalled. The contact indicated that the steering wheel had become tight and extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road where the vehicle was restarted after several attempts. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering column and the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop who replaced the steering column. The vehicle was repaired. The vehicle was not included in recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,590. Updated 12/22/14 updated 9/28/2015

- Sanford, NC, USA

Oct 142014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that when the vehicle was put into park and turned off, the vehicle would continue to roll and failed to restart. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in recall NHTSA campaign number: 12V460000 (power train). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Huttig, AR, USA

Jul 282014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was trying to accelerate to go onto the high way and my car would not go, there was a truck behind be and he just missed me and my family. Took the car to rodgers Chevrolet and they said that the transmission needed to be replaced. I remember complaining about my car not wanting to accelerate before I think it was to gordon Chevrolet. I had to dish out $2,500 that I did not have, I also had to replace my tie rod, I think GM should have stood by their product and replaced this under warranty. This is my second complaint with you about this vehicle, I have had my front end worked on by gordon Chevrolet countless times.

- Flat Rock, MI, USA

Jul 252014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle speed suddenly decelerated and the vehicle would not shift into gear. The vehicle was restarted and the vehicle would not accelerate over 20 mph or operate in reverse. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the clutch wave plate ruptured and caused the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,016.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jun 282014

Malibu

I had pulled into a parking lot and was waiting for customer to close their car door when my car would not move. The car was in drive and it felt like it was out if gear. It grabbed and I was able to pull in. When I was ready to leave the store I had gotten onto the highway and around 25mph the car did not want to shift into 2nd gear, I was also having trouble going into reverse. I decided to take my car home and I was unsure what was wrong with it. I took it to the dealership the next day where they ran a test on it. I was told the wave plate was broke in my transmission. Wow an 2009 with transmission problems. I was told the wave plate that was used for the Malibu's were bad. They really should have a recall for the Malibu's that are having transmission problems due to poor design using that style of wave plate.

- Bardstown, KY, USA

Jul 102014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle decelerated when the acce;erator pedal was engaged and the engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnose that the input speed sensor and transmission control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 71,000 and the current mileage was unknown.

- Kennar, LA, USA