2009 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 11 of 13)

Malibu 4-cyl

I bought my car new in 2009 and I only have now just a little over 40,000 miles. I am a single mom and my car is used for driving my 2 1/2 year old son to and from day care and myself to and from work. On February 3rd I noticed my steering wheel felt funny like something was loose, I didn't think anything of it until my traction light then suddenly started to go on and off in the morning on my way to work. By the time I pulled into work the power steering had gone completely out. I then pulled onto a side street in fear of getting into an accident, I'm small and weigh no more than 115 lbs, so it was extremely rough and scary to me. I stopped the car and shut it off after looking up on my phone about similar problems people have been having. I shut it off waited a few minutes then it was fine, until I put the car in drive then it went out again. I did this a few times in order to make it to work. By lunch time my car was running fine but still felt funny for the next 4 days. Friday 2/7/14 my cars power steering had gone out for good and the turning it on and off didn't help, I ended up paying $840 dollars to get the entire column replaced.that was out of pocket because of course this was not covered under the manufactures warranty or the pt warranty. A month later I heard about the recall, so I called the dealership, they heard nothing so I called GM, my VIN wasn't listed. I have called back several times since and check the "owner" section on GM's website and still nothing, and all they keep telling me is that only some were recalled and mine might not be apart of it even though after reading the recall, that is exactly what happened to my vehicle.

- Burbank, IL, USA

Mar 082014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while approaching a traffic light, the service traction control warning message illuminated. There was also a loss of power steering. The contact had to turn the vehicle off; however, she was able to restart it. The failure occurred intermittently and while traveling approximately 30 mph the failure recurred. The contact was able to coast the vehicle onto the emergency lane and restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 109,720.

- Middleport, NY, USA

Mar 142014

Malibu 4-cyl

While my husband was traveling on the interstate at approx. 75 mph. (cruise control was set), without warning, the steering wheel began to violently shake. Over a period of approx. 30 seconds, the traction control light flashed and all power steering was lost. He managed to slow the car and safely get to the shoulder of the road. The eps message was also flashing across the across the odometer. We monitored the NHTSA complaints since there were numerous complaints being filed regarding other consumers experiencing the same mechanical failure. We waited until 03/27/2014 to have the repairs performed, which consisted of the replacement of the steering column due to the failure of the power steering assist motor. GM then issued a recall on 03/31/2014 to include select 2009 Chevy Malibu's. however, when I contacted GM, I was told my VIN is not included in the recall and I will not subject to reimbursement for my repairs (totaling $773.62). I spoke with numerous representatives at GM, and was told by each of them, that the recall is only for select vehicles and despite my claim that my car experienced the exact mechanical failure as listed in the recall, my VIN is not included and any claim I submit will be denied. I am applauded that defective equipment has been installed in my car (which has been involved in two other GM recalls such as the ignition switch and the shift lever indicator) and GM is refusing resolve this situation. I am turning to NHTSA for further investigation so all consumers affected, including myself, be properly reimbursed for the expense incurred to correct GM's already proven defective equipment. The extent of stress GM has caused my family by near tragic accident of my husband and the financial burden of paying to correct a problem they have already identified as a problem is unethical and criminal.

- Fenton, MO, USA

Jan 142014

Malibu 4-cyl

In January of 2014, I experienced two separate instances of the electrical power assist steering failing suddenly in my 2009 Malibu. Fortunately I was traveling at low speeds in a residential area both times and was able to control the car. The problem would not correct until I stopped the car, turned it off and restarted it. When General Motors acknowledged a problem with power assist steering in 2008-2009 Malibu in March of 2014, I reported the problem to General Motors' customer service. I expected that the recall would include my vehicle. I have been informed by General Motors that my vehicle is not included in the recall. I find it troubling that if I experienced two instance of the loss of power steering and reported it to GM, that my car would be included in the recall. I'm writing to advise of my experiences so you can include my 2009 Malibu in the scope of the recall.

- Edina, MN, USA

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at multiple speeds, the power steering assist malfunctioned and caused the steering wheel to become very difficult to turn. The power steering warning lights was also illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the steering column was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in the NHTSA campaign number 14V153000(steering). The contact stated that the vehicle experienced the same defect listed in the recall.the failure mileage was 80,000.

- Seneca, MO, USA

Sep 162013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph, the power steering assist failed with the illumination of the ESC warning light. The failure was recurring over a one year period. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Beverly Hills, CA, USA

Mar 052014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that when he started vehicle, the check engine and power steering warning lights illuminated. The contact stated that the steering wheel was difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,753.

- Show Low, AZ, USA

Mar 062014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the check engine warning light was illuminated after the engine was started. Additionally, the steering wheel was difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000. Updated 5/22/14

- Eauclaire, WI, USA

Mar 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

Intermittent loss of electric power steering. Upon starting vehicle, power steering, ESC off, service ESC alerts are present. Restarting vehicle usually clears alerts and re-establishes electric power steering.

- Sullivan, MO, USA

Feb 072014

Malibu 4-cyl

Was making a left turn out of a parking lot and the steering wheel locked up, my son was unable to steer the car quick enough because it caught him off guard and hit a parked car.

- Madison, SD, USA

Feb 162010

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering train, I personally purchase new last one, end of the year vehicle on the available list.

- Durand , WI, USA

Mar 262014

Malibu 4-cyl

The electronic power steering failed while driving on highway, causing loss of normal steering control, making the vehicle difficult to steer. Vehicle had to be moved out of traffic and restarted to reset the failure. Loss of steering and ESC. Error code later determined to have been CO545 (steering torque sensor).

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Mar 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving my 2009 Chevy Malibu my power steering will stop working and my ESC light comes on. This has been happening on and off at different speeds. Sometimes I can turn car off and then back on and it will run fine or reset for a limited amount of time. Very dangerous.

- Dracut, MA, USA

Jan 012014

Malibu

The electronic steering is intermittently failing causing violent shaking and a power steering fault. This is a serious safety issue.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Mar 142014

Malibu

I was driving at highway speed (approx. 75 mph) the steering wheel began to shake and the traction control to turn on and off. Then suddenly I had no power steering. This happened to me at night and suddenly, with our any warning. It is concerning to me that this problem has not been recalled! I found it to be extremely challenging not to loose control of the car since I had been traveling comfortably at 75mph, then suddenly had no power steering. I cannot stress the danger of this occurrence and the possible unfortunate outcome had my wife been driving with my kids in the car. This needs to be recalled now....do not wait until it has cost someone their life!

- Fenton, MO, USA

Mar 132014

Malibu

While driving the elec. Stability control light came on and steering became difficult due to the power steering assist motor giving out. When this happen, the steering wheel would inadvertently move back & forth. The sensor in the motor and in the lower steering column both went out. This was an extremely expensive repair not to mention that I was traveling down a busy interstate and could had a severe accident.

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

Feb 242014

• 1,053,996 miles
Was driving down the road and the steering wheel tightened up and the power steering light came on and the traction control kicked on and ESC service came across the screen, and the wheel is hard to turn. It will kick on and off and before it kicks on the steering wheel jerks back and forth. Then was driving down the road and came up on a exit and went to hit the brakes and the brakes went out but then cameback on. Car keeps doing it with the steering wheel it will go on and off.

- Toronto, OH, USA

Jun 032013

Malibu

I was driving and the power steering started to shake and the light came on. Hard difficulty driving. I contacted my local dealer who says there are lots of complaints on this issue but no recall. I looked online to find hundreds if complaints. I contacted GM to make complaint and see why not recalled. They told me GM doesn't recall vehicles the highway dept does. Pretty awful they are willing to jeopardize my life but not fix my car. Very unhappy with GM this has to be a recall now !!

- Mankato, MN, USA

Feb 172014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn in any direction. The contact also stated the steering wheel would shake and veer to the left. The vehicle was not taken for inspection or diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 75 mph, the power steering assist suddenly malfunctioned making the steering wheel very difficult to turn. The contact stated that after turning the engine off and restarting, the defect was corrected. The next morning when the vehicle was started, the power steering sensor light was illuminated and the defect had recurred. The contact indicated that the defect was intermittent. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Divde, MT, USA