2009 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 11 of 13)

Feb 072014

Malibu 4-cyl

Was making a left turn out of a parking lot and the steering wheel locked up, my son was unable to steer the car quick enough because it caught him off guard and hit a parked car.

- Madison, SD, USA

Feb 162010

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering train, I personally purchase new last one, end of the year vehicle on the available list.

- Durand , WI, USA

Mar 262014

Malibu 4-cyl

The electronic power steering failed while driving on highway, causing loss of normal steering control, making the vehicle difficult to steer. Vehicle had to be moved out of traffic and restarted to reset the failure. Loss of steering and ESC. Error code later determined to have been CO545 (steering torque sensor).

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Mar 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving my 2009 Chevy Malibu my power steering will stop working and my ESC light comes on. This has been happening on and off at different speeds. Sometimes I can turn car off and then back on and it will run fine or reset for a limited amount of time. Very dangerous.

- Dracut, MA, USA

Jan 012014

Malibu

The electronic steering is intermittently failing causing violent shaking and a power steering fault. This is a serious safety issue.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Mar 142014

Malibu

I was driving at highway speed (approx. 75 mph) the steering wheel began to shake and the traction control to turn on and off. Then suddenly I had no power steering. This happened to me at night and suddenly, with our any warning. It is concerning to me that this problem has not been recalled! I found it to be extremely challenging not to loose control of the car since I had been traveling comfortably at 75mph, then suddenly had no power steering. I cannot stress the danger of this occurrence and the possible unfortunate outcome had my wife been driving with my kids in the car. This needs to be recalled now....do not wait until it has cost someone their life!

- Fenton, MO, USA

Mar 132014

Malibu

While driving the elec. Stability control light came on and steering became difficult due to the power steering assist motor giving out. When this happen, the steering wheel would inadvertently move back & forth. The sensor in the motor and in the lower steering column both went out. This was an extremely expensive repair not to mention that I was traveling down a busy interstate and could had a severe accident.

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

Feb 242014

• 1,053,996 miles
Was driving down the road and the steering wheel tightened up and the power steering light came on and the traction control kicked on and ESC service came across the screen, and the wheel is hard to turn. It will kick on and off and before it kicks on the steering wheel jerks back and forth. Then was driving down the road and came up on a exit and went to hit the brakes and the brakes went out but then cameback on. Car keeps doing it with the steering wheel it will go on and off.

- Toronto, OH, USA

Jun 032013

Malibu

I was driving and the power steering started to shake and the light came on. Hard difficulty driving. I contacted my local dealer who says there are lots of complaints on this issue but no recall. I looked online to find hundreds if complaints. I contacted GM to make complaint and see why not recalled. They told me GM doesn't recall vehicles the highway dept does. Pretty awful they are willing to jeopardize my life but not fix my car. Very unhappy with GM this has to be a recall now !!

- Mankato, MN, USA

Feb 172014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn in any direction. The contact also stated the steering wheel would shake and veer to the left. The vehicle was not taken for inspection or diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Feb 032014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 75 mph, the power steering assist suddenly malfunctioned making the steering wheel very difficult to turn. The contact stated that after turning the engine off and restarting, the defect was corrected. The next morning when the vehicle was started, the power steering sensor light was illuminated and the defect had recurred. The contact indicated that the defect was intermittent. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Divde, MT, USA

Feb 132014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the power steering assist became inoperable. The vehicle was shut off and restarted, but the failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician could not diagnose the problem. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000.

- Midwest City, OK, USA

Jan 292014

Malibu 6-cyl

Over last summer I had a hose go. Not a big deal. Only a $200 dollar repair. Last week is when the rest of the power steering failed. My power steering pump blew when I was trying to leave work. I attempted to move the car but I could barely steer, so I had to get a tow. When I brought it to the shop, a new pump was installed. 15 minutes later that pump blew out. When this first pump blew it sucked metal into the power steering gear which then needed to be replaced. This repair cost me $900. I think there should be a recall. I see lots of complaints about this issue and if it were to happen while I was driving I could have been killed.

- South Plainfield, NJ, USA

Feb 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

Within a week of owning car error code P0011 camshaft alignment"came up. Dealer got light to go off. Said nothing was wrong with car. Electrical problems with power locks also, now my complete steering column is gone.5 error codes C0545/C0561, non functioning electric power steering. I am lucky that I didn't die in this car or worse kill someone. I can't believe there is no recall on this car. Plenty of complaints online. Are we waiting for people to die???" seriously. My car is at the dealership today and GM district specialist is dealing with the customer experience department at the dealership to see what they can do. I think this will be the last Chevrolet that I ever purchase. Unsafe. I hope people know how to complain on here because there are a lot of complaints online. 2008 was recalled for same issues. Maybe they used some of their old parts in my car from 2008.

- South Portland, ME, USA

Jan 312014

Malibu 4-cyl

Steering wheel shaking, unable to turn.

- South Portland, ME, USA

Nov 082013

Malibu 4-cyl

At freeway speed the car wants to pull to left when turning the wheel to the right. Steering wheel makes a clunking noise when turning left or right. Hard to steer when moving slowly. Loose sloppy steering feel. The dealer is replacing the entire steering gear rack. Very costly.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Nov 102013

Malibu 4-cyl

On Sunday, November 3, 2013, the warning light came on warning me that we had no power steering for the first time. On Monday, November 4, 2013, we again received the message that we had no power steering. And we did not have power steering. You had to turn the ignition off and restart numerous times for the warning light not to come on. On Tuesday, November 5, 2013, my intent was to make an appointment to have the Malibu checked out, when my wife called on her way to work and said that she had trouble starting the Malibu without the power steering warning, that something was wrong with the steering as she was driving, and we should exchange vehicles at a local repair shop. They looked at the error code (dtc C0545), printed me a copy of the technical bulletin (09-02-36-001), and recommended that I take the Malibu to a dealer. It took five starts before the Malibu would start on their parking lot before the power steering warning went off. As I drove to the dealer the car was drivable, but there was definitely something wrong with the steering. When I arrived at the dealer, I placed the transmission in park and set the emergency brake; when I took my hands off the steering wheel to turn off the ignition, the steering wheel was going left and right on its own " I can"T emphasize this enough. I have never witnessed (or have even heard of) a car?S steering wheel performing in this manner before. In addressing the situation with the technician writing up my problem, we discussed payment and warranty and he said he would call GM and call me back. He called me back later and said that GM would pay half the repair and that my cost eventually worked out to $497.66.

- Perry Hall, MD, USA

Oct 242013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver as the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 66,024.

- Ledyard, CT, USA

Jul 012013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering wheel warning light illuminated intermittently. The contact had not experienced a power steering assist failure. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000 and the current mileage was 69,886.

- Bloomington, MN, USA

Jul 212013

Malibu 4-cyl

I have a 2009 Malibu, a little over 73000 miles. 7/21/2013 while in park the steering wheel started shaking and pulsing. I turned the car off and restarted it and it stopped. I got on the interstate and the steering wheel started shaking and pulsing and shifting. I have to keep 2 hands on the wheel as not to be shifted from lanes. I take the car Wednesday to a GM dealership. They told me it wasn't calibrated after an alignment, and they calibrated it done and alignment and rotated the tires. I pay $220 for this service and leave. I get home with no problems. Very next morning Thursday, I start my car and it starts the same thing all over again. It shakes and pulses all the way to the dealership while shifting me in lanes. After waiting for around an hour and a half, I am told the electrical power steering motor is out and it is nearly $700. This is $920 for a motor in a 4 year old vehicle with 73000 miles. This vehicle is not safe considering if you do not have 2 hands on the vehicle and paying very close attention you may end up in up in the lane beside you. I have researched this online and found 100S of complaints concerning this same problem. I am amazed this has not been recalled. I am very disappointed with GM.

- Rockwood, TN, USA