2009 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 8 of 13)

Jan 142015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering seized and the warning light illuminated when the vehicle was started. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, where it was diagnosed that the steering shafts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Feb 142013

Malibu

We reported last year to GM that we were without power steering, instead of fixing our car the argued with us that there hasn't been a recall on the power steering. Now we are having problems with the tracking. And the transmission has been slipping since last summer.

- Muscatine, IA, USA

Jan 102015

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving down the highway with my son going at rates of 70mph. My power steering gave out and I was unable to turn wheel. Trying to find out what was wrong I found out the power steering torque sensor gave out. I contacted GM and my local dealer about incident because there has been reports of this happening on several of this year and model car. Other GM cars have put recall on the power steering, not mine. I contacted dealer because they have me a price of $500-$1200. I contacted GM they refuse to help me at all. This is a safety issue and I feel unsafe driving my own car. I purchased the sensor on my own because the dealer mark up was double of what the part cost. GM refuses to help and I am now renting a car waiting for this to be fixed to sell it. I was with my young child on the highway when it locked up. Please help!

- Whitman, MA, USA

Jan 132015

Malibu

TL-the contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 50 mph, the steering wheel seized and the power steering warning light illuminated. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was towed to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact was made aware of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000 (steering) however, the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 116,000. Djr

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jan 032015

Malibu 4-cyl

2009 Chevy Malibu when battery is on prior to starting car occasionally showed power steering and ESC and to service both. Now it has been occurring while driving and resets itself if car is shut off and also continues to occur in battery mode. VIN is not part of the recall list yet its manufacture date was within the guidelines for the recall.

- Plainwell, MI, USA

Jan 102015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 50 mph, the service power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel became stiff. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included under NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering).the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 148,000.

- Melford, DE, USA

Dec 162014

Malibu 4-cyl

Loss of electric power steering assist. Has happened literally dozens of times. Can be driving or at a stop and the power steering assist will go away, the dash will chime, and messages will be displayed saying "power steering", "service ESC", and "ESC off". after that point there will be no steering assist until the vehicle is restarted. Seems to be the same symptoms as cars affected by the power steering recall, however my VIN shows that my car is not part of the recall.

- Phillips, NE, USA

Jan 092015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel became stiff and failed to turn without warning. The vehicle was restarted and functioned as normal. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Drummonds, TN, USA

Jan 072015

Malibu 4-cyl

Driving vehicle around a curve when ESC light came on and lost power steering. Parked car over night and waited for dealership to open. After research, realized the vehicle has a recall number of 14V252 which may root of the problem. When I turned on the vehicle to take to the dealer, the light was off and power steering returned. While driving to the dealer, light came on and lost power steering again.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Oct 242014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was pulling out of a parking lot and my power steering light came on along with a chiming sound. My steering wheel locked up and I couldn't turn the wheel. The same thing happened again about a month later and a third time about another month after that. I have read that there are recalls for the power steering for other 2009 Chevy Malibu but for some reason there is no recall with my car's VIN number. I drive on the highways a lot and I am a bit nervous to drive now.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jan 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds, the steering wheel seized and excessive force was required to steer the vehicle. The engine and electrical power steering warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred multiple times. The dealer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that there was a recall related to the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Apr 222014

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering failed on freeway at 65 mph just as listed on a GM recall for this exact make and model. My VIN was not included in the recall but it had the exact same failure. GM will do nothing since my specific VIN is not listed.

- The Dalles, OR, USA

Nov 042014

Malibu 4-cyl

So far, I have lost power steering 3 times while driving. This is the exact issue for which the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu has already been recalled. However, my 2009 was manufactured in a month not covered by the current recall. This is an extremely dangerous defect as it can result in an accident or loss of life.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Nov 272014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated and it became difficult to steer the vehicle. The contact was able to continue driving at a lower speed. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer had been notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Nov 122014

Malibu 4-cyl

Twice in past 5 days while traveling at slow speed, the power steering went out completely - very dangerous. Turned off ignition and restarted engine and it was fine again.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Nov 032014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn without warning. In addition, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Nov 152014

Malibu

Power steering went out and on the digital display it stated power steering failed contact dealer immediately.

- Little Elm, TX, USA

Nov 142014

Malibu 4-cyl

I had just left the expressway and was waiting to enter traffic. When it cleared I started up and lost power steering. This also happened two days before on 11-12-2014. The first incident was this last February. I called Chevrolet and they said that my VIN. Number did not show up on the recall for loss of electronic power steering but yet I see that 2008 to 2009 Malibu are under this recall. This information is clearly on your web site. I am aware that my vehicle could very well have had a faulty power steering unit installed. I feel that this is a hazard. The problem is the same as listed for the recall.

- Charlotte, MI, USA

Nov 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

I pulled into a parking lot and my power steering stopped working. I could barely turn the wheel. The car did not stall, the power steering just stopped working. I managed to pull into a parking space and turned the car off. When I started the car the power steering started working again. All I could think of was - what if it happened on the thruway! I took it to my dealer and they had to replace the torque sensor. I don't understand why my son's 2004 Chevy Malibu would have a recall on the power steering but the 2009 didn't"??? the same thing happened to each of us. Please help so that I can get my $438 refunded.?" and so that someone doesn't get hurt or worse! thank you.

- Allegany, NY, USA

Nov 112014

Malibu

As I was driving down the street my steering wheel locked up and I was unable to move it to safely pull over to the side of the street. I just had to stop in the middle of the street and turn my car off and then back on. It then reset it and I was able to drive again. The "service ESC" light came on and then "power steering" light came on. This is not the first time this has happened. It has happened before right in the middle of an intersection. Where again I had to turn my car off and stop traffic and then turn it back on. I believe this could pose a serious safety issue. When your vehicle to stops because you cannot steer another vehicle can easily hit you and cause a severe accident. There should be a recall on this since it seems to affect a number of 2009 Malibu's that I see all over forums and blogs.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA