2010 Chevrolet Malibu lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu:

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Aug 032015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the ESC and traction warning indicators illuminated. The contact depressed the brake pedal and the pedal failed to respond. The contact continued to depress the brake pedal and it eventually responded. The contact pulled over and it took several attempts to shift the vehicle into park. The vehicle was powered off and did restart, however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and was diagnosed that the ESC system needed to be recalibrated. The vehicle was repaired, however, the failure recurred. The contact also stated that the brake lights remained illuminated the entire time unless the brake pedal was actually being depressed. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and had not been repaired. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, and service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Montgomery City, MO, USA

Aug 012015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at any speed, the brake lights failed. The contact mentioned that the brake lights would illuminate without engaging the brakes and, when the brake pedal was depressed, the lights failed. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the failure recurred. In addition, the cruise control failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the body control module failed. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 97,145.

- Jenison, MI, USA

May 012015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 65 mph, the rear brake lights were illuminating constantly. The failure occurred intermittently and sometimes the brake lights failed to illuminate at all. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed and repaired. The technician reset the computer but the remedy did not resolve the issue. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Lake Placid, FL, USA

Jan 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at various speeds, the service ESC, traction control, and reduced engine power warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle independently lost power. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not taken in for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Muskego, WI, USA

Mar 142015

Malibu 4-cyl

Yesterday I sent an E-mail about the turn signal indicator arm malfunctioning for the right turn signal on my 2010 Chevy Malibu. It got to the point yesterday that if I wanted to indicate a right turn I had to constantly hold up the arm to get it to signal. Today I took it in to be repaired and it cost me $218. The mechanic told me that he has replaced close to a hundred of these in the last few years and that it seems to be a common problem with GM products. This is definitely a safety issue and it could have gotten me pulled over by a policeman for not signaling. All the other cars that I've owned have never had this problem. This is why we won't be buying any other GM products. We've had to take the Malibu in for a total of 5 recalls so far. Come on now -- don't you think this is a bit excessive??

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 152015

Malibu 4-cyl

Owner was driving car was informed that tail lights were not working by another motorist. Stopped at shop. Repair shop unplugged light harness and customer left then approximately 20 mins. Later smoke and fire was noticed coming out of the left rear trunk area at location of wiring harness area. This is the second wiring harness trunk fire this investigator has investigated on a Chevy Malibu in the last 6 months. A second fire was investigated with the same scenario on a 2006 Chevy Malibu that occurred on 8-11-2014.

- Chester , VA, USA

Nov 192014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that headlights failed and only the high beams were working properly. Also, the contact mentioned that the air bag light continuously illuminated without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 84,000.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Jul 162014

Malibu 4-cyl

2010 Chevrolet Malibu applied brakes and car continued to travel and not stop. On July 16, 2014, the consumer was involved in an accident, due to the above mentioned statement. The vehicle was totaled. The consumer referenced recall # 14V252000.

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Sep 242014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Copiague, NY, USA

Sep 232014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and stated that the parts needed were unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Muscle Shoals , AL, USA

Jun 012014

Malibu 6-cyl

Interior electrical problem with the lights in the dashboard---dash lights (driver information center) and radio lights occasionally do not come on and/or frequently go off while driving. Radio will be working then aux imput device will appear and the radio stops working. Also the radio lights will tile at times and then start rolling in rectangular lines.

- Charleston, IL, USA

Jul 282014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Coeymans Hollow, NY, USA

Aug 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

2010 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to brake system recall notice and consumer seeks a loaner vehicle until parts become available. Recall# 14V252000.

- Williamsville, NY, USA

Jul 262014

Malibu 4-cyl

I received a recall notice 1 week prior to this incident. Recall #13036. I was almost rear ended when my brake lights failed. I was on my way home from work and watched my stability control and traction warning lights come on. I contacted GM and was told that no replacement parts are available. GM also stated that they are not responsible for towing or a rental even though it is a defect in the design and/or manufacture of the body control module. I have been without a car for 4 days at this point and GM stated that no replacement parts are yet available. My car is a shiny peice of junk that I can pay for yet cannot drive because of the defect. I am a veteran and I am absolutely disgusted. All of the above problems are directly related to the defective part.

- Melrose Park, IL, USA

Apr 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

Low beam front passenger headlight out. Had headlight replaced at dealership where vehicle was purchased only for the light to go out 1 week later. Called dealership and they suggested I contact NHTSA/GM for this problem. Afraid for my families safety when driving at night in rain/fog and so fourth, as well as a traffic fine for driving with one headlight. Please refer to numerous forums online ( chevymalibuforum.com & mototrend.com/cars/2010/Chevrolet/Malibu with drivers complaining about the same issue.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Jun 302014

Malibu 4-cyl

Rear exterior brake lights stayed on while driving. Lights would go off when brake was slightly depressed and would come back on when pedal was depressed more firmly.

- Garrett, IN, USA

Jan 272014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was stopped at a stop light when my car stalled. The cabin started filling up with smoke. The lights would not work. The trunk would not open. The locks would not work. The smoke was coming from the trunk. I had the car towed to the dealership. It was determined that the fuse box in the trunk was melting the junction box and main body harness. My insurance company picked up the claim and made repairs. There is now a recall on these cars for this type of failure.

- Gold Hill, NC, USA

Dec 032013

Malibu 4-cyl

Intermittent problem, occurring at least five times since date above. One or more of the following conditions noted: 1. cruise control fails to engage, or stops engaging. Indicator light on (/off wheel toggle switch), but no engage. 2. "service ESC" and alternating "traction control" warning with alarm tone on speedo cluster. Orange warning triangle illuminated, also. 3. brake lights constant on, with no foot on brake pedal. Or, brake lights can go off when brakes are applied. Confusing, possibly dangerous, to drivers immediately following. Once aware of this, fashioned a reflector fitting just behind the rear top mount brake light that reflects into my rear-view mirror. These problems can clear after car is stopped for a time (over 45 minutes) and may not appear again for another unknown interval. Already replaced (March 31, 2014) a brake position sensor switch ($186.60 - my cost) at local selling Chevrolet dealership. This did nothing to fix the problem and when asked, dealer claimed no knowledge of any tsbs or of others having issues similar.

- Norman, OK, USA

May 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

So about 2 months ago the service traction light came on briefly and didn't come back on for a while. Then about 2 weeks ago it started going off almost everytime I drove. I brought it to the dealership that I bought it in kannapolis, nc called classic Chevrolet on 5/3/14. They said I could pay $98 to get it hooked up to the computer reader, but the light was off so I decided I didn't really have $98 to waste. As it had been hooked up to a code reader when the light was off before and didn't read anything. There is an option to turn off the traction control so I was driving with it off. We went to Michigan on 5/8/14 it was driving fine. Light never came on. When we were in Michigan it started going on again, again driving with the traction control off. It was hooked up to a computer and no codes came up and light goes off when you turn it off and never came back on our whole way home. Nothing felt or sounded different with the driving. Driving fine to drop off our son at practice this morning 5/17/14, turned on car to go pick him up and couldn't reverse, but would go forward. I had my husband and his brother push us out of the driveway and it was driving fine for the first 3 blocks, then started to chug and wouldn't shift correctly leaving a stop light. I turned around on a circle drive. We live on a culdesac so I pulled ahead of our house, so we could push it back in the drive way. When my husband came back out it was like locked, we couldn't push it in reverse. Then it wouldn't go forward. My husband unhooked the battery and was able to reverse with struggle and pull into the driveway with struggle. During all of this, the brakes have been illuminating when not being pushed and sometime they don't even work.

- Statesville, NC, USA

Jul 132012

Malibu 4-cyl

Brake light illuminate without pressing the brake pedal. When brake pedal is pressed then lights go off for a brief moment then go back on. While accelerating brake lights come on and stay on. I have nearly had several close encounters. I have had this issue twice already. First time the dealer repaired it and that lasted a year. It recurred and I have taken it to an independent mechanic in which he replaced the brake pedal sensor and had it diagnosed. I am still having this occurrence. This is absolutely ridiculous to have this recurring problem. Every time they want a fee plus repair charge. They are making money both by car payment and repairs. What the hell"?" frustrated with Chevrolet.

- Bellflower, CA, USA