2010 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu:

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 3 of 9)

Mar 232015

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving to work, I noticed the steering shake and stiffen up and I had loss of all power steering. Soon after that I had my driver side tire blow out and almost caused an accident. A couple of days later, I drove it to the dealership and the service representative told me that Chevy Malibu's did have a recall on the electric power steering pump and torque sensor but not for my model (ltz). Which didn't make sense to me. Just because it's a different trim, the parts would be different? it doesn't seem possible. If this issue is occurring in Chevy Malibu's, it should be addressed to all Malibu's regardless the trim of the vehicle. I would appreciate any help with this issue.

- Kearny, AZ, USA

Apr 012015

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering is mostly gone. Kicks in for a few seconds after ignition, but cuts out pretty soon. Full manual steering now. Don't understand why this is included in the other eps recall from GM. This is a major safety issue. Many GM service centers are lying about the necessary repair when you take the affected vehicles in.

- Midland, MI, USA

Mar 232015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 50 mph, there was an excessive vibration within the steering wheel and an unexpected loss of power steering occurred. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road, where the engine was turned off. After restarting the vehicle, it resumed normal operation for a brief moment and the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering wheel torque sensor would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired by an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 149,000.....updated 06-16-15

- Scandia, MN, USA

Mar 272015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at 45 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. As a result, the contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to turn the vehicle and the power steering light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,236. The VIN was unavailable.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Mar 272015

Malibu

Power steering went out on interstate and has continued to go out in last few days since incident. Has not gotten so bad that power steering is not working pretty much at all. Info center says power steering ESC off. Seen there has been million car plus recall on this issue with same model car but apparently not mine!"!"

- Streator, IL, USA

Feb 122015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while the driver was driving at 45 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The driver had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to turn the vehicle. The contact was uncertain about what warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering wheel torque sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Concord, MI, USA

Feb 122015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while the driver was driving at 45 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The driver had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to turn the vehicle. The contact was unsure about what warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering wheel torque sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Concord, MI, USA

Mar 122015

Malibu 4-cyl

When I started my vehicle, an indicator light immediately reported a need to service my ESC and my power steering was disabled. After restarting the vehicle, it seemed to correct itself. Now, when driving, my steering wheel vibrates when there is no torque applied to the wheel and makes a chattering noise periodically. This has been going on for a week now.

- Baldwinsville, NY, USA

Mar 242015

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering went out without any indication!!!

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

Last spring I had an issue with my 2010 Chevy Malibu with the electronic power steering assembly. The electronic steering column assembly failed resulting in no power steering. After research I became aware this is a common problem with Chevy Malibu's but was only covered in recalls until 2009. I paid for repair on this out of pocket like many other people who have filed complaints as seen with research on the internet. I have just discovered the company that made the steering column for GM, dorman, is recalling their steering column that was installed in the 2010 Chevy Malibu. This recall was posted in July. With the trouble GM has been through they should be on a better honor system. This car was manufactured by General Motors and should be recalled by General Motors who should be reimbursed by dorman. The phone number for dorman is 1-800-523-2492 and you could potentially be reimbursed but you will need the part number of the defective steering column. General Motors offers no cooperation in part number information. Even with previous calls I had with GM saying all parts used in cars were identified by the VIN number of the car so they know the origin where all parts were manufactured. It appears to be a finger pointing game and the loser is the consumer.

- Millbury, MA, USA

Feb 202015

Malibu 6-cyl

The power steeling went on the car. It was extremely difficult to turn the wheel. The power steering light came on in the vehicle. Apparently this has been the case for all of the Chevy Malibu's. this is very dangerous and should be part of a recall like the previous years were. I think there needs to be some changes to the power steering columns to ensure this doesn't happen in the future makes and Chevy needs to do the right thing and issue a recall on the 2010 Malibu to cover this. It is only right!

- Middletown, NY, USA

Mar 072015

Malibu

Was driving on the interstate when a car from a side road, failed to stop at the sign. I swerved to avoid...which I did. And my power steering light came on, along with my ecs. Warning light. I now have no power steering. Although it does reset it's self after shutting it off. But will come back on sort after it is running again. There is a recall on this if it were a 09, since mine is a 2010 there's not. Nothing changed between the two. So U ask why is mine not included?

- North Manchester, IN, USA

Mar 022015

Malibu

2010 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to electric power steering problems.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 092015

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving my 2010 Chevrolet Malibu, going approximately 45 mph when the steering wheel locked up. The car gave an error 'power steering" and 'service ESC." I could not steer the car off the road and was almost rear ended. I turned my hazard lights on and shut the car off. After 10-15 seconds I turned the car on and the error was gone; however my steering wheel is making clicking noises and jerks to the right. I am afraid to drive the car now because if it happens again I might not be able to avoid an accident. I called GM and they indicated that the recall for the power steering on my model of car only covered the 2009 and not the 2010, although it is the same part and malfunction.

- Rio Rancho, Nm 87144, NM, USA

Aug 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while attempting to make a turn, the steering wheel vibrated multiple times without warning. On another occasion, the steering wheel seized and excessive force was required. The eps warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician diagnosed that the power steering failed and the torque sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V064000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Goodrich, MI, USA

Feb 232015

Malibu

The power steering went out on the car during a turn making it almost impossible to steer. The console displayed power steering, service ESC. After stopping and restarting the car the problem cleared but continues to occur without warning numerous times daily. Turning the car off and back on clears the problem for a few minutes or up to a few hours. I have found that this exact problem is under recall for Malibu's up to 2009 and would seem to me that it needs to be extended to newer cars as well.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Feb 282015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering and the traction control warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 101,000.

- Urbana, IA, USA

Feb 282015

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving with my son and his friend (both in the back seat thankfully!) down a hill (maybe 10-20 mph) to a stop light when I heard a pinging noise and no longer had control of steering. The power steering and ESC warnings were showing on the dashboard and steering was exceptionally hard. I was able (barely) to make the turn and pull over to the side of the road and turned the car off (very hard to do at a slow mph). I waited about 10-20 seconds and turned it back on and it seemed fine. I had an appointment for an oil change the next day and planned on asking them to check it. Later that same night, I was driving at about 35 mph when the same thing happened on a main road. I pulled into a parking lot (not easily) and turned the car off and back on, but it did not reset itself. The next morning I took my car for an oil change and they told me that the power steering is electrical and that they would have someone look at it the next day (it was Sunday and I needed to wait until Monday). Monday morning they called me and told me that I would need to bring it to the dealer for replacement of the power steering motor and that they've seen this multiple times with GM cars. I brought it to H&L Chevy in darien, ct where I bought it and they told me that although there is a large recall for this issue, that my car is not eligible for it even though it's the exact same problem!! I see on the NHTSA website that there are many complaints about this with a 2010 Malibu and I would like to know how to get this covered by GM -- it's ridiculously expensive for a single parent (or anyone for that matter!)

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Feb 252015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 40 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to turn the vehicle. The service ESC power steering was displayed across the message board and the traction control warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The contact was unsure about the part that needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,780.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Feb 252015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 20 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The contact restarted the vehicle in order to regain the power steering. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the power steering sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Mount Clemens , MI, USA