CarComplaints.com Notes: Engines shouldn't need a new quart of oil every 500-1000 miles, but for thousands of Suburban owners that's exactly what's happening. Engine oil consumption on aluminum block engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) is out of control and owners are left looking for answers.

The most likely culprit is an uncovered AFM valve which, in many cases, can be covered under warranty. The problem is the issues don't stop there and many owners have been told by GM just to buy a new engine. Take one guess who they want to pick up the tab.

7.5

2. nothing got resolved (51 reports)
  3. chevy needs to fix (26 reports)
  4. replace engine (14 reports)
  5. splash guard to be added in oil pan (5 reports)
  6. replaced cylinder heads (3 reports)
2007 Chevrolet Suburban engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Suburban:

2007 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Jan 182016

Suburban LX 5.3L V8

Chevy needs to pay attention to the many customers who are reporting this and do a recall. Last Chevy/GMC we will ever own.

- , Nampa, ID, USA

Jun 202013

Suburban LTZ 5.3L

After investing $50k this car is a peace of sh*t, Chevy has heard the issues and they don't anything about it.

Its all about the money and fast production, Take responsibility and recall all the car that have this issue

- , Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jan 302008

Suburban LTZ 5.3L

2007 Chevy suburban Ltz purchased in 2008 with approx. 27,000 miles. I do my own oil changes and noticed after my first change that the vehicle was using excessive oil. At that time it was necessary to add a quart every 1000 miles and now I find with 120,000 miles on the vehicle I check the oil weekly and add 3 quarts between changes. Using synthetic oil this gets rather expensive. I can see from this and other websites that this is a wide spread problem that should be addressed by GM but, not surprisingly , they have chosen to disregard. I can honestly say that we have enjoyed the vehicle but I would never purchase another GM product again because of their lack of any acknowledgement and resolution to this issue.

- , Northport, NY, USA

May 012012

Suburban LX 5.3L

I did not know about the complaint website. But the engine has used a lot of oil sinse I purchase it in 2007

- , Conley, GA, USA

Jul 282008

Suburban LT 5.3L

I have had this vehicle into GM with this issue at least 3 times. Once at about 35,000 miles, again at about 50,000 miles, and again at about 70,000 miles. I gave up as they told me they would not replace the engine. I have been a loyal GM owner for 34 years. I haven't ever had an engine start using oil like this until it was leaking it or had over 100,000 miles. Something is wrong and GM should do something about it.

- , Shawnee, KS, USA

Nov 182014

Suburban LT 5.3L V8

Continues to burn oil every 1,000 or so miles. The only oil that I went 3,000 miles without the Low Oil warning was Valvoline High Mileage??! Not sure if that is a fix or not but I keep a spare qt of oil in the truck as a just in case.

Update from May 12, 2016: Went in to complete the 1,000 mile oil consumption test. Dealership discovered that my oil pan gasket was leaking. Been one day. will update in a few.

- , Metairie, LA, USA

Oct 092015

Suburban

The engine burns through oil before it is time for another oil change and we only drive back and forth to work about 20 miles per day!!! We must have oil on hand at all times!!!! This is ridiculous! Certainly not worth the money you pay for the SUV! Why hasn't the manufacturer fixed this problem????? Or reimbursed us for all of the extra oil this SUV burns!!! I believe this consistent issue is tarnishing Suburbans image!!! We will not purchase another Suburban after all of the oil and electrical issues this one has had!

- , Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Oct 032012

Suburban SR71 350 V8

Spend a lot of money on a American car and all we get is the big run around bullshit. Lockhart automotive group is not good for repairs or help, they just take your money. I like the size of the truck but not the issue of adding three quarts of oil every month. I will probably buy a Ford or something else.

- , Fishers, IN, USA

May 052015

Suburban LTZ 5.3L

I bought this vehicle because I own an older Suburban and loved it. The guy I bought from said the oil consumption had been fixed. Well what a lie. I started having problems soon after now its to the point I add a 1qt of oil if drive 200 miles, its crap. I know it has lots of miles but my older Suburban had over 200k and not drop. I want Chevy to step up and fix the problem.

- , LEBANON, OR, USA

Jul 152011

Suburban LX 5.3v

So I was lucky the FIRST time. The engine was still under warranty at 74,000 miles & was replaced. I had to go in 3 times because the oil just kept disappearing. Finally after the 3rd visit, they replaced the engine, with a rebuilt engine.

That was at 4 years @ 74,000 miles.

Now almost exactly at 4 years @ 75,000 miles the engine blew a whole in the engine block.

I guess we call it the 75,000 mile engine.

I have contacted GMC & I'm waiting for a response. It's $6600 to put in a rebuilt engine & the blue book is around $9,000 to $10,000

- , Englewood, CO, USA

Feb 182015

Suburban LT 5.3L

I purchased this vehicle in January, 2014 with 106,000 miles. I tried to do my research on this vehicle prior to purchasing but never knew there was an oil consumption problem. There are so many Suburbans on the road, I felt they were rock solid.

I lose about a quart of oil every thousand miles. Luckily, the dealer does free top-offs but how long will this vehicle last? I have no mechanical experience at all so I have no idea.

I do know this is the first GM product I purchased and this has not been a good experience. With all the recalls out there, one would think GM would take care of this. I can see I am not the only person having this problem with their GM vehicle.

Can someone please help as the dealer advised to get a new engine.

- , Traverse City, MI, USA

May 152012

Suburban Z71 5.3L

According to the owner's manual, if you put the gear selector in "3" instead of "D", the engine will not go into V4 mode. When I am driving in town at speeds less than 45 mph, I put the gear selector in 3. Went from using a quart of oil every 1600 miles to using a quart every 2200 miles. Huge difference and didn't cost a dime.

No, you shouldn't have to do this but it's much better than taking it in for the oil consumption test every few hundred miles. Results may vary due to personal driving habits.

- , Aberdeen, SD, USA

Jun 132014

Suburban Z71 5.3L

Owned a 2003 Z71 with virtually no problems until we lost it in a rollover accident (Thank God everyone was ok). June of 2014 we purchased a beautiful 2007 Suburban Z71 black with 109,000 miles. It has no rust and you can tell it was garaged kept. Oil life said 56% and being a current chevy express owner now that everyone resets those when you change the oil. Low oil indicator turned on shortly after we bought it. So i changed the oil before our 1600 mile trip. When we arrived (800 miles) no oil missing. when i returned home (1600) miles we were 1 quart low. Then the next 1600 miles burned 2 quarts. So, in 3k miles it consumed 3 quarts of oil. Now i have been monitoring these sites to see if there is a fix by GM and so far there is not, especially being over 100k mile mark. It frustrates me because i am sure the old owner new about it but did not do anything to fix it.

- , Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Aug 162012

Suburban LS 5.3L

I bought my 2007 Chevy Suburban brand new and it was a good car for the first 2 years. Then I started to notice things falling apart and noticed the oil usage. I didn't realize how bad of a issue it was until my brother-in-law told me about the problem (he bought a 2007 Suburban at the same time). The car also needs to have the rear aexl rebuilt as I found this is a common problem too. I have been a loyal Chevy customer for many years but this car is a piece of sh*t. I will never buy one of their cars again.

- , Simi Valley, CA, USA

Feb 042011

Suburban LT

Stilllllllll burning oil....... replaced all 8 piston rigs and reinstalled 2 broken exhaust manifold bolts and one exhaust flange stud. Extracted and retapped holes. New gaskets and fasteners, replaced all lifters on the drivers side. All on 60k miles. Geezus, this is not normal wear and tear type stuff. I drive my kids to and from school and sports I'm not 4x4 ing how do exhaust manifold bolts just break from normal driving. WTH. Hate this car. Stuck in it thank god all this crap covered under warranty.

- , Renton, WA, USA

Jul 012011

Suburban LT

Ok after having this POS in the shop every couple months I feel a little relieved that they are replacing the engine; right.... wrong. Engine finally stops burning oil but then the rest of the damn thing starts to fall apart.

- , Renton, WA, USA

Dec 012012

Suburban LTZ 5.3L

Bought my wife a suburban LTZ 2007 with 49000 miles and bought the extra 36 thousand miles extended warranty. Before the first oil change was due the add oil light came on said I was low. I took it back early and have started the annoying process of oil consumption test. I've taken it back so many times and if I go overt the 1000 mile mark before the oil test I have to start all over again. GM knows about the problem and needs to recall or refund! I will go one more time with my lawyer and the BBC and every person I can think of that can make them fes up to this engine flaw so they can fix it. Big trust factor here. My friend had the same problem with his and it took him 2 years of complaining and trading it back before they replaced the engine. So let's keep bugging them and caning the news so they can just fix it.

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jul 232014

Suburban LTZ 5.4L

I purchased a used 2007 Chevy Suburban with 48,000 miles on it. Prior to the due date and mileage of my first oil change, the alert came on that oil was low and to add. I immediately took it into the shop to get the oil changed and they said that it was at least two quarts low and didn't even register on the dip stick. The same thing occurred with 1500 miles left until my next oil change (synthetic oil so it had been 3500 miles and the engine used almost all of the oil). I did some online research and found that this was a common problem and a design defect with these engines. I took it into my dealership and showed them the fix and the estimate was $3600 to repair. Since it is a known design defect from GM, they should issue a recall and cover the cost of the fix.

- , Augusta, GA, USA

Mar 152013

Suburban LT 5.8L V8

Apparently we are having the same issue that most 2007 Suburban owners are having with excessive oil consumption. Currently 1 quart every 500-1000 miles. What a black eye for Chevy! I didn't realize the extent of the issue until I started researching online and found volumes of complaints. The consensus appears to be that Chevy is pretending not to see an issue. For me, Chevy has a few options: 1) repair the defect, 2) trade out owners straight across with new models that don't have a problem, or 3) legal proceedings.

- , Syracuse, UT, USA

Jul 222014

Suburban LX V8

Purchased 2007 Suburban new from dealer. At approximately 75K miles the engine started using about 1 to 2 qts of oil every 3000 miles or so. Vehicle was running good, just using more oil than I thought it should. I called dealer and asked about the oil usage, was told no problem, I could expect to use a quart between oil changes. The dealer never mentioned the known problem with excessive oil usage.

At 83K I took vehicle in for routine oil change and inspection, vehicle still running fine, but using oil. I picked up vehicle and on the way home it started to misfire and idle rough. The stabilizer light came on, but went off within minutes. I carried vehicle back to shop and now I'm told about the known problem, excessive oil use. My warranty has expired and of course neither the dealer or GM take responsibility. Dealer says replace plugs, install deflector shield, and cleaning engine will take care of problem. I will be responsible for the Approx. $1600.00 charge.

I am disappointed with the dealer and GM. I can no longer recommend the purchase of any late model Suburbans.

- , Keswick, VA, USA