CarComplaints.com Notes: Engines shouldn't need a new quart of oil every 500-1000 miles, but for thousands of Suburban owners that's exactly what's happening. Engine oil consumption on aluminum block engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) is out of control and owners are left looking for answers.

The most likely culprit is an uncovered AFM valve which, in many cases, can be covered under warranty. The problem is the issues don't stop there and many owners have been told by GM just to buy a new engine. Take one guess who they want to pick up the tab.

7.5

2. nothing got resolved (49 reports)
  3. chevy needs to fix (20 reports)
  4. replace engine (11 reports)
  5. splash guard to be added in oil pan (5 reports)
  6. replaced cylinder heads (3 reports)
2007 Chevrolet Suburban engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Suburban:

2007 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Jun 012014

Suburban LS 5.3L V8

Used a bit of oil (1 qt er 3,000 miles). Now uses 1 qt per tank of gas. Chevy dealer said I simply need a new $5,800 engine.

- , Saratoga, WY, USA

Feb 022014

Suburban LT 5.3L V8

Purchased vehicle with 40k miles. By 45k had to add one quart of oil every 1k miles. Dealership did an oil consumption test and verified the excessive loss of oil every 1k. When asked what they would do about it they said we would have to go through a couple more cycles of oil consumption testing. What? Have been adding one quart of oil every 1k since.

- , Appleton, WI, USA

Aug 222013

Suburban LT 5.3L

I operate as a small car service between the airport and ski resorts in Salt Lake and use Suburbans as my choice of vehicles for going up the mountain passes to the ski resorts. Since 2007 I've used the 2002 and 2004 model of the Suburban with no problems.

Last year (2013) I made the bad decision of switching over to the newer looking 2007 model. Since driving I've had to keep checking the oil consumption every 500 miles. This has become a pain the rear as I can put in 500 miles easily in 3-4 days of driving. The oil light came on. I've had to change the oil sensor as that went out soon after I bought it used from a private seller. Wished I had checked this site prior to purchasing it.

As far as GM vehicles go I am completely done with them. Will never buy another GM vehicle even if they fixed this issue in the newer 2014 models. For 7 years they did nothing about this problem and gave nothing but excuses. Will now be looking at Ford Expeditions for my car service business and will be selling this one soon. Hope someone buys it. I have however managed to slow the oil consumption problem by switching to Mobile One Full Synthetic High Mileage 10W 30 Oil. This has reduced the MPG quite significantly from the already poor MPG. Many of my friends who are also in the business are moving away from GM vehicles for car services and I constantly tell new start ups in the business never buy the newer Suburbans. Heck, I'm even considering the AWD Sienna's. Not the image I want as a car service but I suppose a black one with leather interior should do the trick.

- , Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Jul 082010

Suburban

We took it in to the dealer when we noticed it was going through about a quart of oil every 1000 miles. The dealer told us that was "per spec". I didn't buy that so we kept on them. The consumption got to about 1 quart every 500 miles and then the dealer started the repair attempts. New splash pan, new lifters, new valve seats (I think). I had a 100k mile extended warranty on it along with the 100k factory one. Most things were covered, I just had the $100 dollar deductible each time. GM extended the factory warranty to 110k, however with 95k I traded it in for a Ford Expedition EL. I drive my cars normally for 10 years or 200k. I didn't want the headaches that were sure to come from burning so much oil. The catalytic converter must be next, along with the throttle body. The throttle pedal gave out and I had to replace that and we changed the ground cable 2 times. Lets not forget about the silver razor flakes that cut us when we opened the door with the inside handles.

- , Chandler, AZ, USA

Dec 302011

Suburban LT

All I can say about the 2007 Suburban is it is an oil sucking money pit!!! I had a Salvage 99 Expedition that was only $4000 and it runs better than my Suburban to this day. It started sucking down a quart of oil every 2000 miles after we got to 85000 miles. We had to have two cylinders repaired and the cam lifter. Also, the rings and a bunch of other stuff I can't even remember. It was $1200!!!!

The dealership was less than helpful. We ended up going to an independent garage and paid more because they were so rude. I contacted Chevrolet and they gave me no answers and did not offer to help in any way. Needless to say, this is the first Chevrolet and the last Chevrolet I will ever buy. Also, had to replace the transfer case, wheel bearing, ball joints, brakes three times, throttle control censor, oil pressure censor, and the 4 wheel drive. Thanks to Chevrolet for making such a wonderful piece of junk!!! I'm so disgusted they won't stand behind the vehicles they build. I really hope there is a class action lawsuit!!!! No one should pay $45000 for a vehicle and have these problems!!!

- , Gnadenhutten, OH, USA

May 032010

Suburban LTZ

We too have a 2007 Suburban. Excessive oil consumption after 80,000 miles. Bought a case of oil just to have after learning this was an issue. Vehicle now has 160,000 miles and the dealer is telling me the cam needs replaced or new engine. The low oil pressure light with the notification saying shut the engine off immediately came on. A different mechanic has it and trying to find out the causes. After much searching on the internet, it appears it could be the oil pressure relief valve.

Prior to this, it was a new transmission, lifters, catalytic converters and many other things. My Cadillac CTS was a maintenance hog as well and now my 2012 Buick LaCrosse is already costing me. My neighbor and good friend owns the dealership, but I don't blame them. Its GM quality. I know he hates seeing my wife's new vehicle in the driveway though. Its not a GM product. They do have great commercials though.

- , Crestwood, KY, USA

Jul 012008

Suburban LS 5.3L V8

Purchased this vehicle new in 2007 with 6 miles on the odometer. I never new of this problem for at least over a year. I would change oil every 3000 mike regardless if the vehicle said to change or not. In July of 2008 I started changing my own oil and letting the vehicles display state when to change it. That's when I started noticing the loss of 1 to 1 1/2 quarts every oil change. I noticed this for the next year. After the year I went back to using an oil change garage and forgot about the issue. Fast forward to present day. I recently took the vehicle in for service at a local Chevy dealer. When I picked up the vehicle the clerk stated that it was slightly over 2 quarts low. He changed the subject when I asked what is causing the problem. He stated I don't know never seen that before. Then went straight into how I needed brakes and rotors and they could do it for over twice what I could do it for. When I was able to order my parts, I did some internet research and found out that this is a common problem. This is very upsetting. I had a 1990 Chevy pick up with 276000 miles on it. It puffed smoke when first started but still used less oil than my 2007 Suburban.

If there is a class action law suit point me in the right direction.

Update from Mar 27, 2014: Going in on Monday to change oil and do the consumption test. Thinking we should all find an attorney and do a class action against GM.

- , Strafford, MO, USA

Feb 142014

Suburban LTZ 5.3L

I have a 2007 Chevy Suburban which I purchased in November/2009. It has a 5.3L V8 engine. I have done all the proper vehicle maintenance on the vehicle (oil changes, brakes etc.). Since I had the vehicle, I have noticed I would have to add a quart of oil in-between oil changes. I was told this is normal for this vehicle. At approximately 92,400 miles the vehicle started to have a ticking noise coming from the engine. I brought it to my mechanic. After examining the engine, the mechanic found the lifters, cam shaft and the cam shaft bearings were worn and damaged. It was recommended that a new engine is needed at a cost of $5500.00. Upon looking online for more information about this problem, I have discovered multiple complaints about this problem with this engine. I am wondering if anyone has contacted GM about this and if so can they advise me as to where I should start.

- , Nesconset, NY, USA

Nov 012012

Suburban LT V8

Chevy dealer told me to keep track and report every 1000 miles, I did this. the truck consumed over 5 quarts but during the time the Warranty expired and the service agent said nothing could be done.

- , Poulsbo, WA, USA

Sep 302011

Suburban LX V8

First; I have a very trust worthy mechanic.

The truck started using about 1.5 quarts of oil per month depending on the amount of driving. All of a sudden the engine light came on and lights on the dash. The vehicle was miss firing and running rough, so much so you could not drive it. The mechanic said it was showing a code for miss fireing on two plugs . It turned out to be two plugs fowled with oil. ( This has happened several more times. ) Each time it cost me $160 to $200 to clean and replace the plugs. Recently the oil pressure switch failed and had to be replaced it (about $300 ).

I was told the only way to cure this is ; engine replacement. I have friends with Suburbans that have 300,000 miles or more. I am thinking of filing a claim in small claim court against GM. I am told a new engine is somewhere around $5200.00.

I think G M should step up and admit that they have a chronic problem with this model engine. I want them to replace the engine at their expense and not with the same inferior product

The alternative would be a class action brought by Suburban owners who have damages due to this problem.

- , Port Jefferson, N.Y, USA

Jun 012013

Suburban LS V8

This vehicle has been a lemon since I bought it brand new. Have replaced bearings, replaced, brakes 3 times already, and uses oil like crazy. I had the transmission fixed twice which was actually covered under warranty. Continuous stabilitrak problems, sometimes it only runs 35 mph and revs RPM's out of this world. We have been smelling gas and today a mechanic told us it has a valve problem that is causing the engine to leak gasoline and will be another 1k to repair. 4 of the 5 interior door locks don't work, the rear defrost wires have fallen off, the rear windshield wiper pump sticks and leaks out all the fluid in storage, and the back exterior lock has fallen off and is lost somewhere in Texas. Oh yea and we have replaced 3 gas caps because it has trouble sealing the gas tank properly. This is my 5th Suburban or Yukon product and when you pay 56k, you expect it to work. If this is the new GM, I have bought my last.

- , Decatur, TX, USA

Mar 182011

Suburban LTZ 5.7L

Like many others, we are experiencing the same Excessive Oil Consumption problem with our LTZ. We can drive it for approx. 800 miles and yup, you guessed it, we need to put at least a quart of oil in it. I have had numerous situations where I will check the dip stick and it is BONE dry. This is clearly unacceptable and it is a shame that GM is not stepping up to the plate to create a fix. What can we do to resolve?

- , Breinigsville, PA, USA

Jan 012011

Suburban LS 5.3L Vortec V8

I was not notified of the oil consumption problem until one week after my warranty expired. GM said they would warranty the problem since I am such a good customer. I had it fixed at a dealer who then told me to keep an eye on the oil levels. I noticed after eleven months it was still going through a lot of oil. I spoke with the dealer who did the warranty work, they contacted GM who told me to take it back to the dealer for an oil consumption test. So they did a complete oil change then had me stop in every 500 miles so they could check the oil levels After the third time, or 1500 miles, the dealer notified GM of my levels to which GM replied the levels fell under their specs. So why then did my husband have to add over 1 1/2 quarts 500 miles before I am due for an oil change??

- , Polson, MT, USA

Sep 212011

Suburban LT 5.3L V8

This is a follow-up to my previous post. The dealer called me back, they've been working with a field agent. My 2007 suburban has been having this oil consumption problem, purchased it used with 45000 on it and it drinks oil like a drunkard drinks liquor, every 1000 miles. The field agent said they'll cover replacing the rings, but there is no gaurantee that will solve the issue, cost is 1800 bucks and they'll pay it or I can purchase a new factory engine. The new revision which they swear doesn't have this issue (how do they know it doesn't if they don't really know what the problem is) and they will deduct the $1800 on the new engine, cost to me about $4200. WHAT!!!!

They should give me a new engine for free!!!!! My wife says have them fix the rings and trade it in. Trade it in for what? A new 55000 dollar potentially similar piece of junk? I really wanted a Suburban cause of the space, we've had two in the past, why can't they put in a friggin reliable engine in these beasts like they use to. What a mess.

Someone, how do we get a class action going? And after we gave them our hard earned tax dollars, the dealership acts like I'm inconveniencing them, it's unbelievable.

Update from Mar 18, 2014: After GM covered the cost of replacing the rings and did the work free of charge, I've since put another 45,000 miles on the truck, it now has 90,000 and the oil consumption issue has NOT returned. I've changed the oil regularly at about 3-4,000 miles letting it go once to 5,000 and so far no issues. I"m really hoping it doesn't show up when i'm in the 100,000 mile range, but I think I'm OK so long as I keep up with the oil changes. Based on my experience, replacing with a new engine to solve this specific problem is a waste of money unless you have say 120,000 miles and plan to drive the truck to 200,000 or more. Good luck all.

- , Auburn, NH, USA

Jun 012013

Suburban LTZ 5.3L

Like so many others, we owned a oil hog 2007 Chevy Suburban LTZ 5.3 engine. We bought it used and really loved everything about it until the check oil light came on at 85,000 miles. It was two quarts low and we were appalled. At about 90,000 miles it was using 2.5 quarts of oil every 3,000 miles. The oil consumption caused other problems. Such as, the catalytic converters at almost 100,000 miles and shortly after that the knock sensor was saturated with the vaporized oil in the intake. Also, the lifters were chattering all the time. Here's the good news......I found the fix.... I went and traded that junk for a new Ford Expedition EL Limited 5.4 engine and we love it. I could kick myself for not buying the Expedition in the first place. It has nearly 1000 pounds more towing capability, independent suspension, and six-speed transmission. I thought I would help out by venting a little and share my fix action.

- , Franklin, OH, USA

Sep 022010

Suburban LT 5.3L

General Motors should stand behind there products. They have proved to just ignore the complaints and give you the run around.

- , Berkeley Springs, WV, USA

May 082013

Suburban LT 5.3L

Had a low oil pressure on the instrument panel analog needle. The valves weren't chattering so I knew some pressure was getting there. Local mechanic it was probably sludge on the oil pickup in the pan. ??????? I've changed the oil every 3000 miles instead of the 5000 miles GM recommends. He wasn't quite sure but may be related to the oil consumption problem. A possible piston blown by with carbon being deposited in the pan due to the unacceptable oil consumption between changes? Coincidence? Don't know. Anyway, we removed the pan and found junk on the oil pick up. Cleaned, changed filter and oil and the pressure reading went back where it should be.

- , Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jun 012010

Suburban

I've seen others have the same issue; we bought our 2007 Chevy Suburban with about 60,000 miles on it. We had the drive train warranty through 100,000. We were having excessive oil issues almost immediately. We took it in, and the local dealership said they were aware of the issue, and they had a fix coming and would let us know when it was available. We took it back in just before 100,000, and were told the same thing. Now 60,000 miles later, not only do we have a large oil spring on our driveway, and blue smoke when we start it, but the engine has a terrible knocking (oh, and no fix notification from our dealership as promised). We've been adding oil on a much too regular basis. I think we were sold a lemon, and they did not want to deal with.

Update from Jul 12, 2013: We've had to replace the engine, just as predicted by other writers on here.

Update from Mar 19, 2014: No, GM did not cover any of the cost.

- , Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Nov 162012

Suburban LTZ

We purchased our 2007 Chevy Suburban in November of 2012 with 98K on it. After about 4k miles the "add oil" message popped up. I checked the dip stick only to find it was about a half quart low. We just traveled 600 miles for Christmas vacation and toward the end the same message appeared. We checked the oil only to find that it was about two quarts low!! I have read all of the complaints and it sounds like there is no resolution here? I am hoping Chevy steps up and does the right thing for the American people, especially since we are still paying for their bail out! My first Chevy and I am probably going to go back to Honda. Too bad.

- , Charlottesville, VA, USA

Feb 152012

Suburban LS 5.3L

My neighbor has a 2006 4wd Silverado that required an engine replacement @ less than 90000 miles - I attributed that to poor maintenance / hard driving on his part until my 2007 Suburban began using 1/2 qt. of oil between changes - than went to 1 qt. and is now @ 2 qts. in LESS than 3000 miles! This vehicle has had the best of care - 3K mile oil & filter changes vs. the 5K miles that GM says they're good for - is not a trailer towing "worker" and is not driven hard. I was told by my independent mechanic that excessive oil consumption starting @ about 80K miles is very common with these engines and the cause is rings that lose their concentricity / clearance to cylinder walls and become "egg shaped". I have a `98 Suburban with just under 300000 miles and it doesn't use ANY oil between changes! Until GM finds and implements a solution to this problem, I won't consider another / newer Suburban even though that vehicle type is what I have owned / driven for 30+ years.

- , Arlington, TX, USA