2008 Chevrolet Suburban seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Suburban:

2008 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 142012

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased this car in May 2013 with 76,000 miles as a certified used vehicle from a GM dealership in NJ. I noticed on test drive brake vibration from the front. Before I picked up the vehicle they replaced new rotors and ceramic brake pads. Now at 17,000 miles later there is vibration again, once again the rotors are warped but the pads are perfectly fine. The service manager told me and I quote "it must have been a hot day and you took the car through a car wash warping the rotors." If GM is making their rotors with non-virgin steel this can happen. I have previously owned a 2005 Suburban with 100,000 miles, the rotors never warped and I only needed them changed once at 55,000 miles, I have a light foot. In 2010 I changed my 2005 Suburban for a 2009 Buick enclave this car was the first time I noticed in the 3 years of ownership that I needed rotors twice, in 3 years I had only put 30,000 miles on the car, so that lead to the purchase of the 2008 Suburban. I can't help but believe there is something wrong in the making of their rotors, they changed manufacturer maybe?? with this 2008 Suburban I have also contacted them with no answer or reply to the fact when my 12 year old son who weighs 108lbs sits in the front passenger seat the passenger air bag light is on one minute and then off the next minute. Sometime I can put my purse and a gallon of milk on the passenger seat and the air bag light is on will display. Yet my 108 lb child or my 86 lb child the air bag light will go from on to off. So they are my two safety concerns, the rotors warping repeatedly and the air bag light not working properly which GM has refused to comment on. Thank you. Updated 1/16/15

- Sparta, NJ, USA

Oct 102011

Suburban 8-cyl

I was driving on 7th ave and a car ran a stop sign at an intersection. It was dark early morning. I hit the car coming across and drove it into a tree.the driver in the Camry had to be cut out of her car. My car had the front end severely damaged. Almost $10,000 damage to my car. The airbags did not activate. I asked the body shop doing the work and the state farm insurance claims person about why they did not work and was told the accident may not have been severe enough or the angle we hit did not require them to deploy. The driver in the other car went to the hospital. And I had knee surgery. I do not know the status of her injuries. I wonder why my airbags did not deploy at such a collision and if there are other Suburban out there with the same problem the owner just doesn't know or won't know til a collision.

- Corsicana, TX, USA

Apr 012014

Suburban 8-cyl

There is a crack on the top of the dashboard along the side of the passenger front airbag.

- Downey, CA, USA

Jun 042012

Suburban 8-cyl

Dash cracked at airbag on dash and also above dash cluster.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Jan 012013

Suburban 8-cyl

There is a crack on top of the dashboard that has become progressively larger. Recently a second crack appeared right over the passenger side airbag. This may interfere with the deployment of airbags. This seems to be a recurring problem with 2007 and 2008 Chevy with same dashboard (Tahoe, Suburban, et al.) models.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Oct 032013

Suburban 8-cyl

Air bag light, door locks, traction control, radio, and many other electrical components flicker on and off. Engine vibrates and then dies. Will not start back up until some period of time goes by. Always diff and happens in all temps and driving conditions. When in garage all night will not start in the am. Very intermittent. We have been stranded with kids 5 times and have only owned this vehicle for 4 months.

- Crawfordsville, IN, USA

Oct 142011

Suburban

Cracks on dashboard next to passenger airbag and above the instrument panel on the left side running across the hump. Always kept in covered garage and maintained as per manufacturer suggested cleaning procedures. Crack on passenger side has widened to the point where the air bag cover makes a rattling noise, apparently due to vibration of the whole part.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 152010

Suburban

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds, the doors would lock and unlock independently with the illumination of the service air bag warning light. The vehicle was taken to the dealer three times for repairs but to no avail. The dealer advised that each component had its own modular but replacing the modular for each component had not corrected the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 24,000.

- Mount Washington, KY, USA