2008 Chevrolet Suburban seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Suburban:

2008 Chevrolet Suburban Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 012009

Dashboard has major cracks around airbags and electrical components are exposed to the sun.

- Visalia, CA, USA

Aug 272016

We need the takata airbag issue fixed for the safety of our family.

- Galena, MD, USA

Aug 162016

"takata inflators" and dashboard cracks. I have multiple cracks in the dashboard of my 2008 Chevrolet Suburban which GM is fully aware of, and avoids the topic with every call placed with the Chevrolet customer assistance center. Now there is the potential for the airbag inflators to rupture along with fragmented dashboard parts in the event of a crash. The primary crack(s) are located right at the passenger airbag location. I cannot emphasize enough about the safety concerns I have and the lack of attention that GM has given regarding the cracks and now the airbags.

- Dameron, MD, USA

Aug 152016

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Suburban. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V283000 (air bags); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Trenton, NC, USA

Apr 022015

"takata recall" airbag has clearly deployed within the dashboard of the front passenger side. The entire dash all around the airbag is cracked and broken. The airbag is soft in the area where there should be an airbag. GM is refusing that this is an airbag issue based off of pictures and is refusing to investigate further saying that is just a broken dash and I asked for an inspection which they denied. I want to ensure my safety and passengers safety so therefore will disable the front airbag as it may not engage or may sends shards of plastic into the face of my passenger if it is ever deployed.

- Garland, TX, USA

Jan 012015

Chevrolet dashboard cracking..... near passenger airbag and above instrument panel

- Plano, TX, USA

Dec 202015

Dash has been replaced in 2010 and is now cracked in several spots including area around the passenger airbag.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Apr 232016

The passenger airbag on the upper left corner has a crack on the dashboard compartment. I noticed it this past weekend & it concerns me since it is where the airbag is. I researched this and found many other trucks by GM have the exact same problem... GM needs to recall these vehicles due to this problem where the airbag may be affected.

- Westlake, LA, USA

Feb 262016

I'm am bringing up a safety concern in my vehicle pertaining to the airbags in the front of the vehicle. I own a 2008 Suburban and recently the dash board has cracked right near the passenger air bag. I have called the Chevrolet corporate to voice my concerns and I have been told the vehicle is out of warranty so there is nothing they can do. I am really concerned if my front passenger airbags ever deploys it will cause the dash board to become a projectile. I believe this is a huge safety concern and this is the second Chevrolet that I have owned that has the same problem in the same place. The first vehicle was a 07 Chevrolet Tahoe, which Chevrolet/GM fully repaired. I had to trade my 07 Tahoe because my family got bigger and got the Suburban now it has done the same thing. I am really concerned for the safety of my family and other family's who own a Chevrolet with this same problem.

- Lacey, WA, USA

Jan 162016

Front air bag sensors always going bad. Sensors are on backorder; this tells me other people are having this problem too. This is a major safety concern. Have a 2001 Ford escape (15 years old). Have never replaced a airbag sensor.

- Windber, PA, USA

Jan 012015

The dashboard has a series of major cracks forward of the steering wheel and a number of cracks around the passenger front airbag. The dashboard seems extremely brittle and is now quite "flimsy" and vibrates and/or bounces up and down while driving. This has happened over time. We have not physically been in the vehicle when a crack formed or propagated. It appears that the dashboard would likely shatter upon impact thus throwing shrapnel throughout the vehicle.

- Lakeland, TN, USA

Jun 152013

The dashboard is cracked and broken at pass. Airbag and center of the dash, and is really broken above the console area.

- Bartlett, TN, USA

Jul 212010

Dashboard made a popping sound while I was sitting parked in the running vehicle. Small crack appeared just above instrument cluster. Over the course of the next two years, this crack got progressively worse. An additional crack has appeared in the forward corner around the airbag towards the drivers side. Both of these cracks are large and getting larger. They are in the same place that thousands of others have experienced cracks in these vehicles. It is would be come a hazard in an accident as the dash would most certainly crack further sending shards of plastic throughout the vehicle.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

May 012012

This is a major safety concern and Chevrolet will not take ownership that this is a a major defect in manufacturing. These dashboards cracking and now the safety cover for my air bag is popping up. I am afraid that the airbag will falsely deploy. I have four kids that take turns in the front seat were this can be a big issue. Not only that, if we do get into an accident the dashboard fragments can break off and impale someone. This needs to be recalled before injuries occur. I have pictures if U would like to see them. I even have a bumper to bumper warrantee and they are still not fixing the issue.

- Indian Harbour Beach , FL, USA

Jan 202015

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

Dash board cracked while vehicle was not being driven.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

May 142012

Suburban 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased this car in May 2013 with 76,000 miles as a certified used vehicle from a GM dealership in NJ. I noticed on test drive brake vibration from the front. Before I picked up the vehicle they replaced new rotors and ceramic brake pads. Now at 17,000 miles later there is vibration again, once again the rotors are warped but the pads are perfectly fine. The service manager told me and I quote "it must have been a hot day and you took the car through a car wash warping the rotors." If GM is making their rotors with non-virgin steel this can happen. I have previously owned a 2005 Suburban with 100,000 miles, the rotors never warped and I only needed them changed once at 55,000 miles, I have a light foot. In 2010 I changed my 2005 Suburban for a 2009 Buick enclave this car was the first time I noticed in the 3 years of ownership that I needed rotors twice, in 3 years I had only put 30,000 miles on the car, so that lead to the purchase of the 2008 Suburban. I can't help but believe there is something wrong in the making of their rotors, they changed manufacturer maybe?? with this 2008 Suburban I have also contacted them with no answer or reply to the fact when my 12 year old son who weighs 108lbs sits in the front passenger seat the passenger air bag light is on one minute and then off the next minute. Sometime I can put my purse and a gallon of milk on the passenger seat and the air bag light is on will display. Yet my 108 lb child or my 86 lb child the air bag light will go from on to off. So they are my two safety concerns, the rotors warping repeatedly and the air bag light not working properly which GM has refused to comment on. Thank you. Updated 1/16/15

- Sparta, NJ, USA

Oct 102011

Suburban 8-cyl

I was driving on 7th ave and a car ran a stop sign at an intersection. It was dark early morning. I hit the car coming across and drove it into a tree.the driver in the Camry had to be cut out of her car. My car had the front end severely damaged. Almost $10,000 damage to my car. The airbags did not activate. I asked the body shop doing the work and the state farm insurance claims person about why they did not work and was told the accident may not have been severe enough or the angle we hit did not require them to deploy. The driver in the other car went to the hospital. And I had knee surgery. I do not know the status of her injuries. I wonder why my airbags did not deploy at such a collision and if there are other Suburban out there with the same problem the owner just doesn't know or won't know til a collision.

- Corsicana, TX, USA

Apr 012014

Suburban 8-cyl

There is a crack on the top of the dashboard along the side of the passenger front airbag.

- Downey, CA, USA

Jun 042012

Suburban 8-cyl

Dash cracked at airbag on dash and also above dash cluster.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Jan 012013

Suburban 8-cyl

There is a crack on top of the dashboard that has become progressively larger. Recently a second crack appeared right over the passenger side airbag. This may interfere with the deployment of airbags. This seems to be a recurring problem with 2007 and 2008 Chevy with same dashboard (Tahoe, Suburban, et al.) models.

- Ashburn, VA, USA