Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Trailblazer emerged from an "upscale trim line" of the Blazer, but there's nothing upscale about its transmission problems or its wonky, unpredictable headlights.

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 082012

Automatic transmission sunshell failed, driving and the truck didn't go into gear. Slowing went in gear, cause struggle I turn to held back home the SUV refused to go in to rear.took to transmission shop failed sunshell need new transmission. Costly..start slipped in and out of gear week before engine light came on. The slippage of gear have almost caused several accident when enter highways or lans.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Apr 132012

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the vehicle violently jerked while changing gears. In addition, there would be an increase in the engine rpms while driving at various speeds. The contact also stated that the vehicle rolled backward two and a half feet after being parked. The vehicle had not been inspected and had not been repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure mileage was approximately 86,000.

- West Terre Hauce, IN, USA

Jan 032012

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the vehicle would shift automatically without activation or warning and at any speed. In addition, the contact would hear a grinding noise when the failure occurred. The dealer made two attempts to duplicate the failure but to no avail. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. The current mileage was 104,370 and the failure mileage was 102,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Edmonds, WA, USA

Mar 012012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I had to replace all my transmission cooler lines due to the lines being corroded and leaking. These were the only lines that were corroded or showed signs of corrosion. There is no reason this should happen to almost every gmt360. This should be a recall.

- Belmont , NH, USA

Jun 012006

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My Chevrolet Trailblazer blew its transmission for the 1st time on 6/1/06 at 47000 miles. The repair quote was $2700 but Chevy ended up covering all but $200 as a warranty repair. On 2/24/12, it blew its transmission for the 2nd time at 94000 miles. The car still has its original brakes, but is now on transmission #3. the repair quote this time is $3038. Obviously there is a design defect in this transmission, as the car is just driven under average conditions (no towing, no heavy loads, etc.)

- Gresham, OR, USA

Jan 202012

Trailblazer 4WD

I have had multiple issues with my 2002 Chevy Trailblazer where the 4X4 selector switch will not work, or while driving at highway speeds the vehicle will be put into four wheel drive while the selector switch is still turned on two wheel drive. The selector switch at times has not worked when I wanted to make the vehicle go into four wheel drive. I have found out the vehicle is in four wheel drive by having a hard time turning the front wheels and seeing the front tires spin on loose gravel even though I never switched the vehicle into four wheel drive and the selector switch states it's still in two wheel drive but the yellow light is lit up that it's in four wheel drive. I have complained multiple times to GM and have had the selector switch replaced 3 times but it still continues to happen. Everytime that GM looks at it they say that it is working just fine. I have seen and heard that many other people are having the same problems with this. I feel there should be a safety recall put out for this drive selector switch.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Aug 252011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Was driving to school to pick up sick child and with no sound truck acted like it was in neutral, slowed down and eased on gas it took back off. This happens so much, now its is parked in my driveway.

- Ashford, WV, USA

Sep 052010

I own a 2002 Trailblazer which the transmission has failed twice since I have owned it. The first repair was September 2010 amount was $ 2000 and went out again in August 2011 costing me $1,500 the second time. This has been an ongoing problems with the Trailblazer and they have not yet chosen to recall this problem. Hopefully no one has gotten hurt or will get hurt. I was almost hit from the rear the day my truck just stopped in the middle of the road no warnings or signs. This is a serious problem and what will it take for GM to recall this I guess they hope the problem will just go away. GM knows this is a problem if they changed the sunshell material on the newer models ones that are more heat resistant why make the part more sturdy if there is no problems or safety concerns. I am now trying to get rid of my truck and will never purchase another GM automobile.

- Plano, TX, USA

Sep 172011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I started my vehicle to leave a parking lot and as I put it in reverse, it made a very loud screeching noise. I applied the brake and immediately turned off the vehicle. I looked under the hood trying to see if there was anything noticeably wrong, nothing. I restarted my car again and put it in reverse and the screeching noise started again when I put the vehicle in reverse and it would not move. With the help of another person, we pushed it back then, put I it in drive and it did move forward and the noise stopped after awhile. I spoke with several people and I was informed that it was the transmission. I looked online, spoke with several mechanics, and they all informed me that it was a common problem for the Trailblazer that the sun shell failing. I also found several discussions regarding the transmission problems of the sun shell failing all with varying mileage. I have received several quotes and they all vary in range. I also called the dealership that I purchased the vehicle from and they denied any knowledge of the transmission failing. I was told it was because of my high mileage. They quoted the highest of everyone with $2868 for a replacement. If it is common knowledge among the mechanics not associated with the dealership, I don't understand why the dealership denied any knowledge of the problem. The amount of money paid for these vehicles, GM should acknowledge all problems of their product and fix the problems.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jan 012009

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Front end problems, 4 wheel low comes on at anytime. Problem after problems with this 2002 Chevy trail Blazer..

- Lagrange, OH, USA

Jan 082011

Since purchasing this vehicle new I have had continuous problems with the 4 wheel drive! in fact the very 1st time I had to use the 4 wheel drive it did not work! the dealer, Chevrolet of hershey would keep the service ticket open for a month at a time and now I expect I know why since this could have come under the lemon law. I have more recently had problems with not being able to release the 4WD and this caused, without a doubt caused the need to rebuild my transmission! I also have been without a vehicle and time off from work not to mention the safety issues. There is evidence of many '02 Trailblazer owners having these same problems!

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Jan 072011

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40-45 mph, the wheels suddenly locked up and the vehicle stalled. The service four wheel drive warning light illuminated on the instrumental panel prior to the failure. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who informed the contact that he needed to replace the transfer case as it was fractured. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 137,000.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Dec 232010

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

First the left side of my temperature control lighting went out, a week later I got a steady service engine soon light, it then went out after a few minutes, it then stayed steady for a period of 2 days, then went out. Then 3 days later my indicator light above my 4-wheel drive control went out, I attempted to change the fuse, then got a service four-wheel drive warning.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Dec 302010

I have a problem with my fan clutch. Transfer case and suspension problems.

- Nh, NH, USA

Jul 152010

2002 Chevy Trailblazer transmission cooler line leak due to corrosion!

- Geneseo, NY, USA

Feb 222010

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4WD. While driving 5 mph in reverse into the garage, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The driver then put the vehicle in park and the vehicle drove in reverse on its own. The driver also stated that sometime his inside overhead light shut on and off when no one was inside of the vehicle. The failure mileage was 88,000. The current mileage was 88,500.

- Hillside, NJ, USA

May 252009

GMC: Fluid leak from transmission oil cooler lines due to corrosion.

- Mahopac, NY, USA

Feb 022009

Front differential.

- Canton, OH, USA

Nov 202008

Transmission all of a sudden starting not going into gear and there was a whining sound. The reverse went out and it skips from 1st gear to 3rd. It will cost about 1300 to repair but I have not done it yet, as I cannot afford it. This seems to be a major issue for many Trailblazers due to a defective sun shell part and really should be recalled.

- Buffalo, MN, USA

Nov 112008

Vehicle switches into 4 wheel drive at random on freeway or anywhere else it decides. Unknown times it has been in shop 2xs and all components replaced 1 year ago now it started again. Hiatt Pontiac Chevy dealer replaced the control mod and the switch on dash. Under warranty now warranty is up and dealership out of business.

- Spanaway, WA, USA