CarComplaints.com Notes: The Trailblazer emerged from an "upscale trim line" of the Blazer, but there's nothing upscale about its transmission problems or its wonky, unpredictable headlights.

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Jan 112006

Trailblazer

I have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer. My inside lights have stopped working and I assumed that is was due to a blown fuse. I took it to the Chevy dealer ship and they stated that I may have a wiring problem. The wire the connects to my headlight burns out easily and my bulbs for my taillight has to be replaced often. Can you please assist. I have to replace the head light wiring several time and have to replace the tail light bulbs. The problem started several years ago. The last time that I had to replace a part was December of 2009.

- Killeen , TX, USA

May 012009

Trailblazer

Speedometer failed was told it was over six hundred dollars to repair service repairman at my local dealer says this problem has been ongoing with both the Trailblazers but also with the Tahoe model.

- Bay City, MI, USA

Mar 012005

Trailblazer

It has the "memory" mirror option which includes featuring memory set options for driver 1 and driver 2, as well as rearview curb assistance (the mirrors will tilt down to your setting to help parallel park when in reverse).the mirrors quit holding their memory, causing me once again to have to reset the mirrors every time I got in the car. On numerous occasions, I thought my mirrors were reset, and then I would look to change lanes and find my mirror tilted up towards the sky or some erratic place. Not to mention the safety issue, but it has been an extreme annoyance. Went to the dealer multiple times and they "reset" the mirrors, but they don't know the cause.

- Dubuque, IA, USA

Nov 142008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The electrical control module in the driver's side door is defective and must be reprogrammed. The mirrors, locks, and seats must be readjusted whenever the vehicle is started. On one occasion, the passenger side window would not roll up. The contact stated that the module was very inconsistent regarding adjustments. The repair costs were very expensive, but the failure still occurs. The failure mileage was 73,000 and current mileage was 76,811. Updated 8/7/09 the driver side window was stuck for over 8 months. Updated 08/11/09.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 132005

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the instrument panel cluster fails to work properly on occasion. As a result, most of the gauges and the tail lights do not work, with the exception of the service engine light, turn signal indicators, and the instrument panel cluster back-lighting. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign id number 03V096000 (electrical system:wiring:interior/under dash). The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000 and current mileage was 98,000. Updated 07/10/09. When the electrical systems shut down, it affected the gauges as well. The defroster would not operate on high and the rear wipers failed at times. The consumer stated after he disconnected the battery and re-tested it, everything worked fine. Updated 07/10/09.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Mar 062009

Trailblazer

I own a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer and I have had my headlights checked because not always but once in a while they just completely turn off sometimes at night time while driving. I took it in to a repair shop and nothing was found wrong with it but the problem continues I have to have headlights and brake lights changed like every month or so my truck one day didn't turn on couldn't figure out what was wrong with it sat in my garage for about 3 days and everyday I would try to turn it on but nothing after the 3rd day went and tried again it came on without a problem and it's been okay just the problem with my headlights still going off at night once in a while. I know 2 other people who have 2002 Chevy Trailblazers and have had kind of the same problems. I believe that their is an electrical problem with the 2002 Chevy Trailblazers.

- Collinsville, IL, USA

Apr 162005

Trailblazer

Purchased new 2002 Trailblazer ltz which has had this problem since 2005. Driver & passenger mirrors position themselves erratically at every ignition and sometimes while driving. A constant twitching on the passenger side also occurs while driving. It is very dangerous when mirrors are not positioned correctly once driving. Chevrolet dealer failed to find the fault and reprogrammed twice. No parts have been replaced as they have now idea what the problem is or how to fix it. This seems to be a common problem, however.

- Templeton, CA, USA

Jan 162005

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the brake lights in his vehicle were completely inoperative. The dealer replaced the brake lights, but the failure recurred. In 2005, the instrument panel made a clicking sound and sporadically failed. The contact believed that the failure was directly related to the brake lights. The dealer stated that the instrument panel failed and the contact paid to have it corrected. In 2008, the instrument panel failed again and completely stopped working in January of 2009. He spoke with two different mechanics and they stated that there was a recall for the failure. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle had been previously repaired according to NHTSA campaign id number 03V096000 (electrical system:wiring:interior/under dash); therefore, they could not assist. The current mileage was approximately 170,000 and failure mileage was approximately 113,000.

- La Place, LA, USA

Jan 072009

Trailblazer

The electronic sensors and key fob to open and lock the vehicle do not work, causing serious problems because the rear tailgate door will not unlock manually and all of the emergency equipment is stored under the carpet in the tail section. This problem started in cold weather and even replacing the batteries in the key fob didn't work. This is serious in cold weather for emergencies ie, cables to jump the car and flares are stored in the back of vehicle.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Dec 312008

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the key fob sensor failed to open the power doors. This presents a hazard because there is no manual key entry for the doors. The failure occurs in cold weather conditions. The dealer stated that the repair was under warranty and will be repaired. They will replace the sensor and check the wiring in the vehicle. The failure mileage was 39,200 and current mileage was 39,620. Updated 03/09/09. The rear wiper was inopertive. Updated 03/12/09.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Nov 282008

Trailblazer

When I touch the buttons on my radio they get very very hot. Their is a long list of things wrong with this 2002 Chevy trail Blazer. But when I contacted Chevy they told my that my SUV is not one of the ones affected" their is a noise in the front and the right side of the truck seems lower, like a shock is broken" the rear windshield wiper never worked. The air conditioning only work on the highest level ( 5 ). the rear tailgate never locks when you hit the power locks. The tape player starts on its own, and will blow a fuse causing an electrical smell. The day I bought the 2002 Chevy trail Blazer the head gasket blew and the dealership replaced it with a used head gasket. This SUV has alot of issues and is getting unsafe to drive. I have tried to have Chevrolet address these issues but they wont fix anything without me paying for them. I am on a tight budget, and I have seen alot of recalls with these issues that I have described. Shouldn't they fix these things free of charge? please help!

- Holland, MI, USA

Jan 202007

Trailblazer

We bought the vehicle in 2004-2005, about a year later the instrument panel started having some intermittent problems, that's when we found out about the recalls. We took the vehicle to the local dealer (airport Chevrolet) where the repairs were made. About a year later the instrument panel started having the same problems, I took it back into the dealer, they said it would cost me about $500 to have it fixed and it would not be covered under the recall. I contacted Chevy by email, and after a couple of months of emailing back and forth they said "they have to draw the line on age and mileage for the recall". I told them I was going to contact my attorney, they said they did not want to hear anything more about it and not to email again. Since then we have driven the vehicle, the more we drive it, the more something else, electrical, goes wrong. I.e. the rear wiper does not work, the cooling/heating fan does not work, the radio/cd player gets really hot, the last thing that happened was the battery got fried and my cell phone while plugged into the cig liter for recharge almost got fried, almost too hot to touch. So I am paying monthly payments for a vehicle I can not drive.

- White City, OR, USA

Feb 272008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I have a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer. When I press on the accelerator the vehicle will lose power for a moment and regain power in heavy traffic. Also, the service engine light will come on. I took this vehicle to a service center and they say that the engine is running rich and running lean. The service center told me to use the rest of the gas in my tank and refill my tank with new gas at a well known gas station. I did as the service center requested by filling at exxon, but the problem with the vehicle did not change. This vehicle has been doing this for 3 months with 80,000 miles. I believe that there is a electrical issue somewhere in my vehicle.

- Longview, TX, USA

Nov 142007

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Remotes quit working, liftgate would not open, rear wiper not working. I had this issue back in may '05 and replaced engate module. Same issues occurring again. I am sure I will have to replace engate module again.

- Ames, IA, USA

Oct 042007

Trailblazer 4WD 4-cyl

Transmission has failed at 55,000 miles, not driving car but was about to run errands. Have had to replace power steering block, alternator, starter, tail lights, instrument panel, radio and electric on a car that is just over 5 years old. The instrument panel, power steering block and transmission are all not under warranty.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Mar 242007

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I jim emmert have had my trailbazer in the shop more times then I care to remember for all electrical lights not working changing clusters & tail lens. I have had two dealers look and post to have fixed the problems and still haven't. I have spent at least 2,000 dollars and do you know what the manager said don't bring it back take it somewhere else?

- Spfd, MO, USA

Aug 012007

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving 20 mph, the electronic gauges began to flash off and on. The contact also stated that the speedometer went from zero, to top speed, and then back to zero. The passenger side air bag deployed without warning as well. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, but they cannot repair the vehicle due to liability reasons. The current and failure mileages were 85,000.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Jul 312007

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I own a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer ltz. The problem that I'm having is that the driver side mirror loses its memory and always needs adjusting when starting up the vehicle and even while driving!!! I have done everything that the manual suggest and even took it to the dealership twice to have it worked on. The problem came back and is still present. I think that this is a huge safety matter for the fact that the mirror moves on its own while I'm driving the vehicle. I hope something is done about this in the near future. Thanks.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Feb 052007

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I live in southwest Ohio and I own a 2002 Trailblazer. I noticed that in December of 2006, my rear windshield wiper would not function when turned on. Shortly thereafter, we had our first frost and I noticed that the rear defogger/defroster was not working. It is now nearly 0 degrees outside and even if I clean the window with a scraper, it still frosts up while driving. I have looked for a fuse to replace, but find none for the rear defrost, and the one for the rear wiper is fine. Just yesterday, I picked up some large items at a home improvement store and was unable to unlock the rear gate, I tried to use the button on my remote, to which the car no longer responds, even with new battery, I tried to unlock it from the driver side controls with the car off and turned on, but nothing happened. So there me and my pregnant wife were standing in zero temperature weather with three large items on a cart and nowhere to go with them. We ended up paying somebody to haul them to our house.

- Huber Heights, OH, USA

Jan 052007

Trailblazer 6-cyl

It all started around 40,000 miles I have had all interior problems. I have one speaker in my car that works, sometimes if I am lucky they all will come one but not. I have a light behind my temp. Control that comes on and off when it want to, and now of all my head lights and day lamps work when they want to. I was told that the car has faulty wires (as if) and I bought this car for what to buy another car in after four years (no). They say you pay for what you get well I have put more into it than what I have got (head pain)! I almost got hit not knowing I had no lights. And got pulled over once! now I have to pay to have my car inspected to find the wire defect and then get it fixed (the car is not worth it).

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA