3.1

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments

Feb 152009

Trailblazer

The 4WD does not work on the vehicle. This has happened numerous times since I have purchased the vehicle. The 4WD will all of sudden just stop working for no apparent reason, then will work again. The indicator says the vehicle is in 4WD, but the front tires are not locked in and acts as if it is in 2wd. The vehicle goes long periods of time with the 4WD working, then the 4WD just stops functioning. This, in my opinion, is extremely hazardous and is going to cause an accident. Just this weekend I was in a very hilly area and we received some snow, my 4WD decided not to work and I was very nearly stuck several times. Not to mention, causing a traffic hazard because my vehicle spun out at every intersection because I have no traction. I have taken the vehicle into the dealer and they insist nothing is wrong. I get the vehicle home and the 4WD still does not work. After doing some research on the internet a lot of consumers have this same problem. GM needs to recall their faulty 4WD system. These vehicles are an accident waiting to happen.

- Sartell, MN, USA

Dec 122008

Trailblazer

2003 Chevy Trailblazer. Transfer case needed to be replaced in 2006, @ 32,000 miles under warranty. Transfer case needs to be replaced again 2009 @ 66,000 miles, warranty period over, now its $2200 out my pocket. After researching this is a well known problem with these transfer cases. The bearing installed can not handle it. Apparently GM has recently updated the bearing. GM will not recall these transfer cases. Other GM vehicles have related issues with the transfer case.

- Girdwood, AK, USA

Oct 152003

Trailblazer

I purchased a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer lt ext (4 miles on the odometer) on September 9, 2003 from fisher bros. Chevrolet in mahopac, NY. I had the truck for exactly two weeks and started have acceleration problems. I would stop at a traffic light or stop sign or even behind a stopping school bus and the car would not move when stepping on the gas pedal. I brought the car in for service on September 23, 2003 and they had it for service until September 30, 2003. They said it was the transmission and they found out from Chevy that a bulletin with this problem had not yet been released. They ordered the parts and gave me back the car on 9/30/03. I drove it for less than 24 hours and it happened again. I brought the car back for service on 10/2/03. This time they claimed it was electrical - again relating to the transmission. The fixed a few values and things. Had the car in from 10/2/03 to 10/7/03. Got the car home for again less than 24 hours and it happened again. Brought the car back on 10/9/03 (2021miles on the odometer) and the car has been there ever since. When I last spoke to the service manager they said they had to put a whole new transmission in the car. I thought a brand new car would already have a "new transmission". they ordered a 2004 transmission to put into the car. This was the last I heard on 10/14/03.

- Stormville, NY, USA