4.2

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments

Aug 152007

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My Chevy Trailblazer has a loud sound when driving or idling. Its sounds like a dump truck. Have taken it to a mechanic and they have said that it is the fan clutch. I then had the fan clutch replaced and the sound continues.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Feb 232008

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Water has been seen several times dripping from underneath the truck in the center area. It appears to be from the emissions system. No wet weather at the time. It appears to be some sort of condensation. Also fan clutch failure, sway bar linkages failure, tie-rod failure, rack and pinion failure/leak, control arm failures 2 times, windshield wiper would not turn off failure, windshield wiper reservoir tank leak replaced, ac cold air failure. All needed to be replaced on a vehicle less than 5 years old with only 38,000 miles on it.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Jun 152007

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Fan clutch not properly working on wife's 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer.

- Ward, AR, USA

Sep 192006

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

2003 Chevy Trailblazer with 34100 miles service engines light comes on, I take it to the dealer who fixes it and recommend I have the transmission and another regular maintenance completed that cost me over $400 dollars. Two weeks later I have to take it back becasue the speedometer went past 115 miles while sitting still, a week later the transmission starts stalling while going forward and the engine fan is running constantly even on start up. Checked the fluid I had none in the transmission. Yet it was suppose to have been filled when maintenance was done. Took it back to the dealer it is no longer under warranty and just under a hundred miles later my 2003 Chevy Trailblazer which is 3 years old. There is a problem with the transmission in the Chevy Trailblazer and I am not the only one experiencing this. Something needs to be done. Help.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Nov 052005

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Heard lots of noises. At 51,225 mostly highway miles found vehicle needed: (1) differential cover gasket (2) pinion shaft seal (3) extension housing seal (4) thermal fan clutch cost: $1,800 left alone, failed seals and gasket will cause complete transmission failure, failed fan clutch will cause engine seizing, fire.

- Daytona Beach Shores, FL, USA

Sep 252005

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I have a 03 TB 2wd I have noticed recently that it is not changing gears properly. The service engine light came on and the problem appeared three more times. Then the light went off and the problem went away. I took it to the dealer and they hooked it up to the "machine" and all they could find wrong was my O2 sensor. They said I needed to replace the gas sensor. This has nothing to do with the transmission.(this is what they said) they told me that they were not worried about it. I told them I was about to drive the car on a trip 1,000 miles one way. No problems they said. I called and questioned the dealership and he acted very surprised by this. Says he hasn't seen a "problem" with the transmission. One of my co-workers daughter also has a Trailblazer and hers has started to act up as well, and guess what it is the same thing as mine. I went on this web site and found out that this is a common problem with the TB. Is there anything that can be done about this madness? townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.EF15323/65.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 302003

Trailblazer 4WD

When vehicle was not operated for several days in cold temperatures it would not start at all. When taken to dealer for inspection the cause of the problem could not be determined.

- Hampton Bays, NY, USA

Mar 102004

Trailblazer

While driving vehicle hesitated then stalled. Consumer was able to restart the vehicle. Dealership was notified, but did not resolve the problem.

- Visalia, CA, USA

Jan 192004

Trailblazer

While driving vehicle stalled. Consumer managed to pull over and restart the vehicle. Dealership was notified, but did not resolve the problem.

- De Valls Bluff, AR, USA

Jan 282004

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I have had the exact problems as stated in 10047425. Windshield wipers went out completely on a rainy day, module replaced, A/C broke on a hot day-fixed, power steering assist stopped working completely making driving the vehicle nearly impossible, vehicle started on reserve power when temp hit -6 degrees, heater motor stopped working completely the next day -10 degrees. Basically this vehicle doesn't like changes in weather.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Jan 172004

Trailblazer

Vehicle's reduced power light stayed on. As a result, vehicle's power failed.

- Midland, PA, USA

Dec 312003

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

When it is cold outside and the engine is started it knocks and ticks until warmed up. GM customer service will offer additional miles on the warranty but no additional time. The dealers will not fix the problem. GM says it is a piston problem. This problem happens every day below 50 degrees. That is 8 months of the year in Michigan. The truck is embarrassingly loud. Sounds like it is 20 years old. It is only 5 months old.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Apr 102003

Trailblazer 4WD

I have had several repairs done to my new vehicle. I have had the 2003 Trailblazer for 7 months and it has been in the shop 7 times-2 times for the coolant system-1 time for my master cylinder-3 times for my circuit boards-now for my steering and my starter( I believe my truck is in the shop as I am typing this letter) I have been trying to work with the dealership and GM but no one is trying to replace my truck with something that is not in the shop every month. Thanks.

- Columbus, OH, USA