Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Carrying the not-so-proud traditions of its 2002 predecessor, the 2003 has a handful of instrument panel malfunctions that can leave you guessing your speed, engine temperature or how much gas is left in the tank.

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 072016

My headlights go off and on my airbag light stays on my seat belt light stqays on my dash board light are out

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 042016

"takata recall" we just purchased this car from my husband's deceased mother's estate and it had a recall on the lighting inside and outside tail lights. The vehicle has 83 thousand miles on it and the vehicle rear lights are not working when I brake only one that is is the third light on top of car. GM (Chevrolet) I live on a very limited income and due to disability as well. My income is 1330 a month. How can I get this fixed? they want to charge me for diagnostics, as I stated we fixed it once it seems to be that it may get hot and blows fuses and then I have no idea I have no tail lights this is very dangerous and someone could rear end me and kill themselves and or myself. Please help me in understanding are they responsible to fix their defects as they did it once when it was recalled and we also just bought this car. Paid about 5 thousand for it. Excellent condition. Other than the lighting system not working only on and off. I have not had an accident but I do not want to have a accident. I find it unfair that they dont want to fix the problem unless they are paid because apparently it is a problem that is and will recur. We have actually fixed the problem once but apparently something is wrong that we cannot secure the issue properly. Kindest regards carolyn otoole.

- Lake Hamilton, FL, USA

Mar 012016

"takata recall" was driving down the highway doing bout 70mph and I hear a nosie on the roof and then I saw my whole 3rd break light asmbley break off and fly into the air and almost hit the car in back of me this can cause a major accident if it fly's off and hit a car in back of you and I was doing research online and saw its a common problem with these SUV its a poor design and needs to be recalled before somebody dies.

- Parkton, NC, USA

Feb 102015

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the air conditioner light, rear brake light, and rear driver side tail light malfunctioned. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and the technician diagnosed that the lights malfunctioned due to electrical issues with the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Waianae, HI, USA

Dec 202012

Car is a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer the ignition key is still stuck in the car. There where no warning lights that anything was wrong with the car. Brakes failed after 7 months of having the car, I had to go to an outside company to fix car. Also when hitting brake lights it comes on as hazard lights. Car started to shake when turning on A/C took to dealership I was told to contact someone else that can fix the car. Also the only way for me to start the car and turn the car off is by unhooking the battery due to key being stuck in the ignition I went to dealership to get car fixed or replace and dealership was bankrupt. Please help I really feel that I got a bad car or a recall car.

- Phoenix , AZ, USA

Jan 182014

Rear piece above hatch which holds the third brake light, came off and was dangling by the wire. This is a safety hazard and can cause an accident if it falls off. This is held on by double stick tape. GM needs to do something about this problem, they redesigned the piece and that tells me they know it is dangerous.

- Decatur, IN, USA

Dec 012011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The problem that I have with my truck is an electric problem involving the light relays, which I ad to replace several times due to them being damaged, leaving me without lights. My main concern is that I drive at night often and I am in danger when I have the lights on and off. I did research on several forums where same-vehicle-owners have experienced the same issues.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 102012

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while traveling 45 mph, both low beam headlights failed. The vehicle was restarted after 20 minutes and then began to function normally. The contact also stated that he attempted to start the vehicle with no success. The vehicle had to be jumped started in order to get the engine started. The vehicle was able to be driven to the contact's residence and was not taken to a mechanic or a dealer for repairs. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about either issue. The failure and current mileages were unknown.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Jun 012008

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while traveling 30 mph the passenger side low beam light failed without warning. The vehicle was raken to the dealer where it was found that the bulb had failed. The contact personally repaired the vehicle. The failure recurred several times after the repair. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was unavailable and the current mileage was 117,000.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Aug 252012

Was traveling on interstate and the rear spoiler with brake light just broke off my vehicle.

- Raeford, NC, USA

Aug 102012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

When replacing the headlight bulb, I noticed that the connection was melted. Through my research I have found that this is a common problem due to the gauge of wire used in the wiring harness. The dealer says that there is not a recall. Since this is a common problem that could possibly occur when driving at night and cause an accident or possibly cause a fire, I would hope that this could help initiate a recall. This is not a wear item so the mileage on my vehicle should not be in question.

- Mcmurray, PA, USA

Feb 082011

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the turn signals and brake lights were operating sporadically. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and the contact was made aware of two potential recalls. The manufacturer was then notifed and the contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in the recalls associated with NHTSA campaign id numbers 04V527000 (exterior lighting: Brakes lights) and 05V198000 (exterior lighting: Turn signals). The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 160,000.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

May 132003

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet trail Blazer. The contact stated that the headlights failed to illuminate. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic who advised the contact that the wiring harness for the lights needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 118,000.

- Cummings, DE, USA

Jul 132003

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the headlights and taillights would constantly fail. The bulbs for both were replaced numerous times. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- New Castle, DE, USA

May 312011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I am the original owner of a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer. When I first purchased the vehicle in the month of October/2002, I didn't experience any problems until maybe the fourth year, going on its 5th; right before the warranty was about to expire. The first problem I encountered with the vehicle was the transmission. It didn't want to change gears properly. Because of the 5 year warranty, the dealership was able to fix that problem, at that time. Today, I continue to experience transmission problems: With a loud noise, a struggle in horse power and a vibration when I am at a complete stop. I have spent so much money on other electrical parts as well. I have purchased over ten light bulbs for rear brake lights that continue to malfunction. I recently replaced a relay because the head lights would constantly go out after the vehicle was turned on. I replaced the fan clutch and water pump because they both went out. I also replaced a battery and two starters. For the past few months, my vehicle smells like fuel everytime I turn it on. I am asking that your department look into all of these claims. It appears that almost everyone that owes a 2003 Trailblazer has been experiencing the same issues, but yet; no one is doing enough to protect all those consumers who have been grateful to this country in purchasing american made vehicles. A sincere thanks.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 022011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I have bought many Chevy vehicles but with all the problems im having with this truck im not sure I will purchase another. Last year my transmission was giving me problems and there was a recall on it and my truck was not covered under the recall also same was with the tail lights. This year I am having problems with my wipers during rain storm I went to turn them on and nothing. I couldnt see so I had to pull over until the rain had let up(2hrs later). I am just speechless when it comes to these "recalls". it seems that myself nor anyone I know ever falls on these lists, you would think with all the money we are paying to purchase these vehicles that someone would want to make sure they keeep our business.

- Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Oct 282008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My husband replaced the low beam headlight on the right front of my Trailblazer three different times within a few months. We then took it to a body shop and they replaced the connector. Once again I'm having trouble with the right low beam. When I start the vehicle, it lights up, but once I turn on the brights and return to low beam, it refuses to come on.

- Pearcy, AR, USA

Nov 172004

Trailblazer 6-cyl

This vehicle was purchased new in Jun 2003. While still under warranty, various recalls were issued for steering, brake lights and rear hatch locking/handle assembly. Since then, the vehicle has been a lemon. Power steering pump replaced twice (first one I paid for, second independent and very reliable mechanic shop paid). Next the engine cooling fan bearing had to be replaced. Later, the transmission had to be rebuilt. I also had to get the computer checked and reset to avoid surging engine RPM and resultant speed deviations. Reaching a point of frustration as never before, I wrote GM asking for consideration repairing the transmission and received no response. I know they received the email since I had a "receipt requested" feature activated in my office computer. I sent a second email stating I was aware of the email receipt and that I expected a response. No such luck. All these problems manifested themselves well before the 100,000 miles were reached. Now at approximately 132,000 miles, I had to replace the exhaust manifold due to a crack, the vehicle has lost power on two occasions, the entire dashboard has gone to zero and back to normal several times and the latest is an engine noise that my very reliable, 6 year auto service provider has told be is related to the timing belt assembly/mount points and as it gets louder, the engine will be getting ready to fail. So, I read all these complaints today and felt like I could have summarized everyone's complaints and concerns. I am an accident investigator and have no doubt that this vehicle will go down in history as one of the most unreliable and dangerous cars ever built. Shame the feds have not taken the extra steps to remedy the issues after so many complaints yet, they went after top selling Toyota at a time when the american made cars were barely able to stay afloat. Wonder?

- Eastover, NC, USA

Oct 182011

Never had issue with headlights before. Driving home from hospital at 9pm and low beams turned off. Had to turn on emergency flashers and pull off road. Tried everything to get them to turn back on. Sat there for a few minutes and they went back on. Pulled onto I-95 and 4 minutes into the drive, in the fast lane, they turned back off leaving me in pitch black going 70mph. Im 8 months pregnant and was alone on the side of a dark highway. GM, you know about these issues! recall this before people get seriously injured!!!

- Stafford, VA, USA

May 182011

Lights go off sometimes after dark. Trailblazer 2003 lt.

- Central, LA, USA