CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Apr 152013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Driving down man O war boulevard in lexington, ky - all of a sudden the gas gauge stopped working and went to empty. I called GM regarding this issue and they told me that they would not cover repairs for this defect. Since then I've ran out of gas with all 3 of my children in the car while moving at least 45 mph down the road causing cars behind me to slam on their brakes. This in my opinion is a safety issue. It was their mistake and Chevrolet should pay for the repairs to correct it.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Sep 012008

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I purchased my SUV in August of 2008 about a month later after pumping gas I noticed the fuel gauge spinning uncontrollably. Due to the warranty I purchase carmax fixed the problem at that time not it is 5 years later and exact same things has happened as well as all the other gauges spinning. Shortly, after the fuel gauge went out I notice the speedometer and the accelerator gauges doing the same thing. I have had my SUV for 5 years and has constantly complained about the gauges spinning back and forth.

- Hammond, IN, USA

Sep 012010

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

My gas gauge had begun acting up. It would say empty even when filled. I would fill it up and the gauge would go to half then back up to full. I did not know for sure how much gas was in the vehicle. I was driving and the car stalled out because it ran out of gas even tho the gauge said full and I was rear ended.

- Kankakee, IL, USA

Aug 292014

Trailblazer

I bought this car at the end of March of this year with under 100,000 miles. The first thing to go was the gas gauge, about 2 months after I bought the trail Blazer the needle went South. It actually hovers around 6 0 ' clock. Then a couple nights ago driving home I had the cruise control on, I took it with the hand button and looked down and the needle never moved, it was stuck at 65. It's been 3 days and the needle has moved but the wrong way, to the right going up 75, 80, 90, then back down to 65 and staying there. I have looked into replacing the gas gauge and I was told the entire dash would have to be done at a price of $1200, I should not have to do this, Chevrolet should be held responsible.

- Shingle Springs, CA, USA

Jan 132014

Trailblazer

Cluster gauges are going out. The speedometer quick working a few years ago and is intermittent at best on a daily basis. It either indicates a lesser or greater speed than actual or just falls to point straight down. I have been using a mounted gps to indicate speed. Initial repair cost estimates were $500+ for the parts since they will only replace the entire gauge cluster. With labor, the estimate was in excess of $800. Fuel gauge is now inoperative or intermittent. When I fill the tank, the fuel gauge reads way past the full line. Having to rely of the fuel to empty and the fuel used computer information along with the trip meter to estimate fuel. Received another estimate for a mechanic to pull the gauge cluster and rebuild each individual gauge motor for an estimate of $500. Based upon the number similar complaints on this same thing, this appears to be a manufacturing defect that needs to be corrected by GM.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

May 032014

Trailblazer

On May 3, 2014, I filled the gas tank up, and began to exit the gas station. The fuel gauge showed less gas in the tank then when I began fueling. After several miles the gas gauge showed slightly more gas, but was still not providing an accurate reading. After shutting down the vehicle I checked the gas gauge, and it was still not working properly. I've been reviewing online complaints through the NHTSA website, and this appears to be an ongoing problem with the 2005 Chevy Trailblazers resulting in accidents. I'm very grateful. I observed the problem before stalling in an intersection or other dangerous location with my three small children in the vehicle.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 122011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Driving down main road in town and the vehicle just stopped right in the middle of the lane - no warning or anything. We were almost rear ended. I had my 3 children with me and had to push the vehicle up the road to the nearest turn in and call my husband for help. I contact Chevrolet and was told that since I was not the original owner of the vehicle that they would only cover 1/2 of the cost to repair the fuel gauge problem and they could not guarantee it would not happen again. I told them that I paid my 1/2 when I purchased the vehicle. I've been fighting this for 3 years with no avail. I hope your Agency can help.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jan 062014

Trailblazer

While sitting at a stop light, the fuel gauge stopped working. The gauge went all the way down to "E" and the low fuel level indicator appeared on the display. Now when I fill up the tank, the gauge reads empty and after I drive about 20-30 miles it will move up to about 1/4 tank but no higher and sometimes it will still move back to empty that slowly move back up. Also sometimes the oil pressure indicator will drop all the way down while idling or in park and the low pressure indicator will appear, but as soon as the gas is pressed, the pressure will go back to normal. Also, about 1 1/2 years ago, the keyless entry/alarm/back liftgate lock and license plate light all stopped working simultaneously. I was told that it is probably a grounding wire issue but not definitive. Now my liftgate will not lock at all.

- Newark, DE, USA

Feb 272013

Trailblazer

My Trailblazer 2005 would be driving down the street at about 25 to 30 miles, then my engine would just turn off with out any warning, am afraid it will happen again but this time when am in the highways going 60 miles on the highway I seen that is not just my vehicle that has happened to and even the fuel pump has gave up with out no answer, the GM or Chevrolet dealership don't have a clue why this is happening. It will be really helpful if you guys look into this before someone gets hurt on this malfunction. I really appreciate for taking your time. Sincerely, Chevrolet Trailblazer driver

- Brooklyn Park, MN, USA

Oct 022013

Trailblazer

After filing the gas tank, the check engine light and low fuel light came on and the fuel gauge registered empty within minutes of leaving the gas station. It has continued to be malfunctioning like this off and on over the last month. I have heard of 2 other people I know, with the same make, model, and year vehicle with the same problem. Is this a recurring problem nationwide with other owners of this vehicle?

- Appleton, WI, USA

Jul 242013

Trailblazer

Fuel gauge says empty no matter how much fuel you put in also ABS/brake service indicator light comes on.

- Shalimar, FL, USA

Sep 012012

Trailblazer

The gas hand does not work. $50+ dollars is put in at the gas station, then the gas light still comes on. This same issue has been going on for almost a year now and have run out of gas on at least 2 occasions. I haven't been able to get it fixed because I can't afford it, but it is really a safety concern. From what I've read on line recently, this is a problem with several Trailblazer owners across the country.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 252012

Trailblazer

Fuel gauge does not accurately show the right level of fuel in the car. Fuel light comes on when tank is full. Fuel gauge shows full tank when empty. This has caused two cases O car breaking down and being stranded. One incident almost caused car to be rear ended on busy highway.

- Madison, IN, USA

Apr 152011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I had recently purchased the vehicle in April of 2011. I stopped after getting paid on a Friday to fill up my tank and when I go to turn on my vehicle the gauge goes to full and just drops all the way to empty. Since than I've had the same problem running out of gas in the streets dozens of time. I tried using my trip but my mph aren't always accurate I don't even know how many gallons my tank holds. Being stranded for awhile with my children is really tough. I can't just afford to pay over $500 to have my problem fixed just because GM won't be responsible enough to do a recall.

- South Houston , TX, USA

May 012013

Trailblazer

Gas gauge does not read correctly, light stays on even after a full tank of gas.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jan 182013

Trailblazer

Ran out of fuel once on highway, when gauge showed tank was full. In Jan/Feb the gas gauge just stopped working even when completely full of fuel it will show only 1/4 of a tank or none at all. The radio works only intermittently will work then stop working unexpectedly. Headlights are always burning their connection, short circuiting my headlights pretty frequently.

- Somerville, MA, USA

Jun 102013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Fuel sensor seems to be failing as is with many other problems with the electrical system on this car including a broken speedometer at 60,000 miles. This car seems to have far too many sensor or electrical issues and given the safety implications of speedometers that suddenly fail and fuel sensors that fail, it would seem prudent for someone to realize that these issues pose a severe safety hazard to all. After research on the internet, speedometers and fuel sensors seem to be a common issue with Trailblazers. Please research the electrical system and sensors more closely.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 012013

Trailblazer

Fuel gauge is not working properly. Stays on (E) empty, even after filling up. Can not tell how much fuel is in the tank. Must keep track of miles driven on a daily basis to ensure of not running out of gas when driving. Dangerous and very unsafe.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Feb 052012

Trailblazer

My gas gauge reads empty when full, or partially full, I never know how much gas is in my vehicle so, I have to guestimate or count miles, my oil pressure is the same. I am amazed this hasn't caused a mass recall so far as I have read through some of the pages of complaints and its littered with the same thing. I bought my car used Feb. 2012 and have had nothing, but issues.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 082010

Trailblazer

After filling up my gas tank the fuel sensor read empty and the gas light was on. Also, whiel driving the fuel sensor would jump around showing empty, full and the gas light would come on. The vehcile was still under warranty at the time so I took it to the dealership to have it repaired. The service rep at the dealership inidcated that it was a common problem with the fuel sensor and it would need to be replaced. He mentioned that I was lucky the vehicle was still under warranty because the repair was very costly. My vehicle occassionaly lurches when it put inot gear from being parked or idle as if it wants to just take off right away. I contacted GM on this and they stated there was nothing they could do, but I have researched and found that many others have has this same problem. Another issude I have had was my speedometer and entire dash cluster failing. While driving on the interstate my speedometer jumped to over 100 mph and then back down to 0. at that point it stopped working for a few minutes then started working properly again. Finally it stopped working altogether. I took it to my mechanic and he replaced the enitre cluster panel which cost me around $800. Again, he did some research and found this to be a common problem. I sent GM a letter with a copy of the repair bill along with documentation of the many complaints I found online with the same issue. I heard nothing. I reached out with a phone call and was told the issue did not warrant a recall. This could be a serious safety issue. Please consider a recall as it apperas this vehicle was just poorly made and many other people are experiencing the same issues.

- Pleasant Garden, NC, USA