Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments

Nov 072014

I noticed my battery guage quit. Then after starting my truck a few different times, the gas guage read differently. Then my speedometer wduld stick on 100 when I was doing approximatly 60. Then the speedometer would not work at all. There needs to be a recall on it. My friend has a 2005 also and her cluster pannel went out too. Its a $400 repair. This has happened to quite a few 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazers from what ive read online. Come on General Motors. You need to recall these models.

- Parkersburg, WV, USA

Feb 012012

The rear spoiler looked like someone had tried to remove it with a screwdriver. Eventually it came to the point that it would "flap" in the wind when driving. When driving, it came disconnected from the vehicle while driving on interstate 5. had it not been for the electrical cord, it could have hit another vehicle on the freeway. I took it to a repair shop. The shop fixes it, but it began doing the same thing within a year. I took it to the repair shop again. Again, the fix failed. I took it a third time and it has just failed again, I will take it to another repair shop and possibly a dealer shop to look at it. I am reading that this is a problem with 2005 trail Blazer. I have paid for a repair once and find it difficult to have to pay for the same problem again that is no fault of mine or repeated tampering.

- Turner, OR, USA

Mar 012015

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Odometer works then just stops going down the road and airbag light stays on now also if I plug in my cell charger the radio shuts off did not do this until issues with odometer.

- Grayson, KY, USA

Jun 012006

Instrument panel cluster went out..

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 252013

Summary: Cluster gauges are going out. The speedometer quick working and is intermittent at best on a daily basis. It either indicates a lesser or greater speed than actual or just falls to point straight down. I have been using a mounted gps to indicate speed. Initial repair cost estimates were $500+ for the parts since they will only replace the entire gauge cluster. With labor, the estimate was in excess of $800. Oil and battery guages have failed since. Based upon the number similar complaints on this same thing, this appears to be a manufacturing defect that needs to be corrected by GM.

- Florence, AL, USA

Sep 202013

In 2007 we had installed an internal ignition switch then again in 2010 and now again 2013. The car would just stop and nothing would come on. This is what is installed each time it is done, installed 15242754 sl-N-switch installed 12177251 sl-N-fuse

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Mar 012008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I purchased my '05 Trailblazer new off the lot never had any problems until the speed odometer stopped working. Couple years later my oil & gas gage stopped working. I based my speed off my RPM & calculate my gas mileage after each fill up. Now my dashboard lights are dimming & I've noticed on many occasions my headlights flicker...I have replaced the battery twice & the water pump twice. Now when my check engine light or this other little chk gage light comes on, I don't know if a malfunction of if something is truly wrong. Now it's running rough, acts as if it wants to cut off. They have checked all that they can but because the chk engine light isn't on, there's no way for them to identify the problem. And unfortunately, when the mechanic rides with me of course the car won't do it...and although, these are separate issues I can't wonder if replacing the battery is connected the same system as the dashboard. I've been told by 2 differ mechanics it would cost up to $600 to replace the whole system. But after reading all the complaints, many having the same issue as me I can't help but wonder if this problem could or should be on a recall & if not, why? if you view the complaints why not look into the very present & persistent problem! its very frustrating & aggravating to play a guessing game when your up & down a highway daily! not to mention a safety hazard! surely, your company isn't so money hungry that you can't take responsibility for you product & offer to pay for some or all the costs to repair! I'm a single mother of 3 & I was blessed enough to pay my car off a year ago but I've paid more in repair costs & stressing whether or not I'll make it safely to & from my destination! I never had this many issues with my grand Jeep Cherokee. I am truly disappointed in your vehicle...

- Guthrie, OK, USA

Jun 052011

Driving on the interstate I noticed a pop and upon further review of the vehicle, I found that the third tail light assembly has broken free from the clips that hold it on to the vehicle. It is still attached by 1 bolt but this is very dangerous if the assembly breaks free. I have seen several complaints on this particular vehicle that could cause severe damage to oncoming traffic and potentially cause an accident. This needs to be addressed by the manufacturer immediately.

- Greencastle, IN, USA

Feb 052011

Fuel is always shown as empty even though I put gas in it. Blower on ac/heat quit working

- Bucyrus, OH, USA

Jul 152006

In 2006 while driving the headlights would flicker. The dealership said this is normal. Now when driving the headlights will cutoff for approximately 10 minutes and will then cut back on. It can be after driving for 2 minutes or 30 minutes. The high beam lights work fine when the "regular" headlights will not. For the past 2 years the gas gauge, speedometer, and oil pressure gage do not work properly. I can be stopped and the speedometer will show I am going X mph. It varies on the amount of miles the speedometer is off. The oil pressure gauge always sits below the low line. The gas gauge is not correct but does move. This vehicle is a peace of junk.

- Elgin, TX, USA

Jun 012010

Since June 2010, the fuel level gauge on my 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer has not functioned properly. Regardless of the actual fuel level, it reads at 1/4 tank or below, which causes me to rely on my trip odometer to estimate my current fuel levels. I have checked with the Chevrolet dealerships, and they are charging between $500 - $800 to correct this problem! as the previous owner of two GM vehicles and the daughter and granddaughter of General Motors retirees', I am sorely disappointed in General Motors refusal to admit the failure of the fuel gauge system that has affected thousands of vehicles.

- Lower Burrell, PA, USA

Nov 012010

My RPM gauges started messing up need my speedometer started next. They started sticking and jumping up. My 2005 Trailblazer only has 47,000 miles on it and the check engine light stays on all the time. Has been serviced regularly so I really don't know what it going on with it!

- Texarkana, AR, USA

Jan 162011

Misleading information on the speedometer of the Trailblazer. The has stopped registering the correct speed during travel. While stopped at a red light the speedometer was reading 20 mph. This can be dangerous for drivers because they do not know what speed they are currently traveling. While traveling at 45 mph the speedometer was reading 75 mph.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Dec 282010

After returning home from shopping, my wife and her friend pulled into our driveway and she placed our Trailblazer in park. There was a loud sound she said sounded like an explosion and the rear lift hatch window shattered sending glass flying. At the time of the glass shattering the outside temperature was close to 30 degrees. The rear defroster was not on. I came home from work and we cleaned all the glass from the driveway and the interior of the vehicle. There was no explanation as to why this happened. I contacted the insurance company and the window was fixed for a cost of $754.70 by safelite glass repair. I looked on the internet and did a search of similar incidents and found quite a few. I contacted GM by E-mail and told them what happened. GM thanked me for the information but did not offer any replacement or reimbursement. Fortunately no one was injured and our granddaughter was not in her car seat at the time. This could have been very dangerous if my wife would have been opening the lift gate when the glass shattered. GM said this appeared to be an isolated incident and I offered to send them links to other identical complaints that I found. I would like the NHTSA to please look into this as this does not seem to be an isolated incident and there was no warning of this failure. The glass was in excellent condition prior to this happening and the vehicle has never been in an accident and is in excellent condition.

- Oak Forest, IL, USA

Dec 202010

The oil level indicator in the dash panel is no longer functioning. A call to the dealer where car was purchased confirms that this is part of an "instrument cluster" that also controls the speedometer, and that it will probably malfunction as well.

- Olive Branch, MS, USA

Mar 012010

Im having ploblems with my speedometer and it works when it wants to work and most of the time I never know how fast im going do to this ploblem.I can't afford to be having these ploblems with my vehicle.

- Cudahy, WI, USA

Mar 202010

Speedometer malfunctioning, mosst times reads 100-110 mph standing still or while moving

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Dec 062009

Speedometer quit working on 2005 Chevy Trailblazer - no reason it quit. Went completely off of the gauge.

- Yukon, OK, USA

Dec 282008

Speedometer fails to function intermittently. May read 0 mph while driving at freeway speeds, or 100+ mph while at a dead stop. May read normally at other times.

- Spring, UT, USA