CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2.0

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments

Mar 072014

Trailblazer

We were driving at about 55 (we dont know exact speed as our control panel is not working) and the steering went out. It was hard pulling to the right and a few times we could not control it and went off the road. We had another incident like that when we were driving in the snow. When we purchased the car we had a fuel issue that covered under a recall.... now our whole panel is out. We dont know the speed we are going, the oil light and engine light are always on. We take care of our car so we know its not low on anything.

- Mccordsville, IN, USA

Dec 122013

Trailblazer

Driving at a low speed through a residential area the engine would serge between 2K RPM and 4K RPM. If surging is allowed to persist then it is followed by the vehicle's power steering shut off ultimately ending in the engine shutting off. After vehicle is restarted the cycle starts again after a short period of driving.

- Hill Afb , UT, USA

Jan 032011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the power steering assist failed. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred several times. The contact also stated that the lift gate revel molding was fractured. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering, power transmission and the rear deck molding needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000 and the current mileage was 166,324. The VIN was not available.

- Ellensburg, WA, USA

Jan 232013

Trailblazer

My gas gauge has stayed on empty for a month or so with the gas light on. I have not had the money to fix it and I put gas in it the night before the incident happened. I was driving home from a family members house a few blocks away from my house and my 2005 Trailblazer died and everything locked up on me. The brakes would not work what so ever. And I just had brand new brakes put on a couple months ago and my steering wheel locked up. My vehicle would not stop. It kept going. I am so happy that I didn't have my three small children with me. It took me three turns onto three different streets before it finally stopped. It was very hard to turn. And my back wheels were making a horrible noise and smelled really bad when I got out. I always keep a gas can in the back in case I ever run out of gas due to the gauge not working. And mind you I have only had this vehicle a year. GM should have to pay to get this fixed. This is very dangerous. Thankfully someone was watching over me and there was no other cars headed toward me. It was on a main roads that has a 45 mile an hour speed limit. I will never buy a Chevy again.

- Salem, IL, USA

Oct 132012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Due to a faulty gas gauge the car engine stopped on a highway three miiles away from fuel with children in the vehicle.

- Meriden, CT, USA

Jan 022009

Trailblazer

Power steering unit leakage.

- Ferndale, NY, USA

Jul 132008

Trailblazer

My son was backing out of his girlfriend's driveway and he turned the wheel sharp and the shaft inside the steering column broke. Luckily he was not on the highway when it happened. I haven't made any repairs yet but will today or tomorrow. The steering column and clock spring will have to be replaced. I am going to save the steering column in case you need to inspect it.

- Hillsville, VA, USA

Sep 112006

Trailblazer

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer had problems with power steering. Upon inspection mechanic determined the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The rack and pinion were replaced but the vehicle began making humming noises again. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who believed the problem was again with the power steering. The noise returned and this time the technician though it was the power steering pump.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 242005

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

New Trailblazer has an inherent problem with the steering. The steering is ultra sensitive at highway speeds and minor corrections ten to cause oversteering and swaying of the vehicle. I believe in an emergency highway situation the steerings sensitivity could result in loss of control and a possible rollover situation. I have been to the dealer twice since the car was delivered and they said the tires and alignment are all withing specs. The manager did comment after driving my car that he thought the steering was very responsive and that Chevy makes changes from year to year and this seems to be the most sensitive. He said nothing could be done. I called Chevy customer service and filed a report. They contacted the dealer and said all was within specs and they could not do anything. I think this is a potentially major issue and someone should review the saftey aspecs of this steering.

- Beverly Hills, MI, USA