Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 052014

I was driving down the freeway when the reduced engine power light came on and I lost acceleration & power. Fortunately, there was no traffic at this point. I was able to drive at a very low speed the remaining quarter of a mile into my work place parking lot. When I pulled into the parking lot and came to a stop my car accelerated and almost hit a wall. I was told by a mechanic that is a throttle body error, and that GM is aware of the issue and not doing anything about it! this is a huge safety concern. And, I see all kinds of complaints all over the internet.

- Long Lake, MN, USA

Nov 132013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Changing out the air filter as part of routine self check and maintenance. Decided to check the oil and other fluids at the same time. The oil reservoir is bone dry. My oil is changed at regular intervals, at the same shop, since I've owned it. The oil light/sensor didn't come on. The onstar report doesn't show any low oil level. Maybe this is a built in feature from Chevrolet - the "throw a rod in the engine induction system"!!! vehicle is always serviced at the dealer, but they usually don't find anything worth fixing until you bill can come out to at least $1000. The tv commercials they run about Chevy trucks are "like a rock" are very true. This Trailblazer is as useless as a rock.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 092013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

This SUV is nothing short of a rolling hazard. The "check engine" light is on and off, again, for the past 6 days. Tried to start it up this morning and the engine light was on. As soon as I was about to back out of the driveway, the vehicle started to idle in a manner that caused the rpms to crank way up and then plunge until almost shutting the engine down with violent shaking and loud roaring noise. Yesterday, the stabilitrak warnings (2) came on the dashboard - I was only going 3 mph exiting a parking lot. There was no inclement weather and the road was bone dry. I haven't been able to pick up power and it seems like the more I press on the gas pedal, the slower I go. I live in houston and the traffic conditions really don't allow for a "sudden stop" or loss of power on a freeway where people are traveling at an average speed of 70 mph. I have had 4 other instances of this "check engine" light in 3 yrs. The dealer isn't much help and GM Chevy is no help at all!!!! the tv commercials they run about Chevy trucks are "like a rock" are very true. This Trailblazer is as useless as a rock.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 152012

Was driving down a hill and started hearing a loud clanking noise.had check the oil the day before and was right where it was suppose to be. Pulled over when we heard the noise and checked the oil and was completely bone dry and had to add 7 quarts. Got about 10 miles and the car completely shut off. Mechanic had checked what was wrong and it had thrown a piston rod.

- Midway, GA, USA

Aug 202013

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Engine light on indicated vapor collection box under car not working properly, and/or needing tune up. Performed tune-up, engine light still on., this, according to my licensed mechanic is a defective design construction problem. That having the box fogged for leaks and subsequent repair or replacement results in multiple situations of the light always coming back on. 2. the master switch on the drivers door went out, during the rainy season and needed to be replaced. I later found out that this was a recall item, but GM, chev, and/their dealerships refuse to reimburse me for the part and even though I took it to a dealership, they did not spray the one I had installed, was not interested in replacing the orig defective unit with the new engineered part, were rude, obnoxious and non professional to my husband, which now has me livid. We received a phone call from a local dealership, never any mail prior to repairing, when asked about the check engine light (under another recall too, for fuel level sensor, the dealership is charging $60 to check it out. Is GM and or Chevrolet finding it necessary to drum up repair costs from the consumer to themselves. This is just a little more or less like scamming.

- Prudenville, MI, USA

Aug 132013

This is the second time this has happened - what happens is I will be driving ( speed once at 35 once at 60 ) and my Trailblazer just shuts down. Instantly. You have no power to get over to the side of the road. P0601 code - this is what shows on my mechanics system. However, when you research that code online. Some folks have spent thousands trying to stop this issue and no resolve. This is highly dangerous - you go from 60 to nothing. My TB has less than 50K on it.

- Spokane , WA, USA

Jun 032013

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet trail Blazer. The contact stated that the engine stalled without warning while decelerating to a stop. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection. The failure was located at the engine motor, which the contact was advised needed to be replaced. The contact also stated that the vehicle consumed engine oil prematurely and the dealer was unable to correct the premature oil consumption issue. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 54,000.

- Merrillville, IN, USA

May 112013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My son and I were out today shopping locally only about 1 mile from our home. The car was fine and everything was great until all of a sudden, the acceleration on the car started to decline even though I had my foot on the gas the car just seemed to do nothing. I was in the middle lane and traffic was vicious, I turned on my hazards and attempted to try and push on the gas. I car came to a stop but the engine was still running, it felt like I was in neutral but I was clearly in drive. I contacted onstar they called the police to make sure we did not get in an accident, as I stated earlier, we were in traffic. I received a push to a safe side of the street and tried to restart the car over and over again, the car started up fine, it just would not go anywhere, no movement. I had to get it towed to my home because it was 110 degrees and I had my youngest child with me. We waited 2 hours for the tow truck, I was dehydrated and faint by the time we made it home. My husband contacted the dealership as we just purchased the car in February of 2013 from ezcarsandcredit in riverside ca, they said don't worry about it, they will have the manager call us back to take care of the problem, that was 4 hours ago and still no call.

- Perris, CA, USA

Nov 092012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The truck has been at a several times into a chevorlet dealer, the check engine light the reduced engine light and the traction control lights all come on at the same time and it causes a failure in which the vehicle losses 90% of power. The failure happens at random time and all weather and traffic conditions. I have had it at two dealers as well have contacted GM executive dept. They have claimed to be fixed several times but it still fails. The issue at hand is that in traffic conditions this failure proves to be a huge safety hazard for myself and other drivers on the road. Its not a used car issue as its an electrical failure issue. I have asked time and time again to have a GM field tech come look at the car but, they insist that the dealer fix it. I need someone more to see and understand the failure comes with at great risks of other drivers on the road. If you goggle this problem you will see others have the issue and I think its worth a recall if they can find a fix for it but after 3 years and several tries they are still unable to fix the issue.

- Wilmington , DE, USA

Sep 112012

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the driver side window started opening and closing independently. In addition, the side mirror started moving forward and backward independently and without activation. After parking the vehicle, the engine would shut itself off and the entire electrical system would become inoperable. Also, none of the doors could be unlocked and the failure would recur for several minutes before the contact would be able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer who advised that the power window module was defective, causing all of the electrical system to become inoperable. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 12V406000: (electrical system) but her VIN was not included in the recall campaign. The manufacturer was notified of the failure who confirmed that the contact's VIN was not included in the recall, offering no further assistance. The failure mileage was 71,000. Updated 10/10/12 updated 10/10/2012

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

May 152012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Recently, I filled my gas tank & low fuel light warning displayed and low fuel light came on. Since then the check engine light is on steady (not blinking) most of the time. The fuel gauge floats back and forth never really letting you know it's true status. The dealers and public know about this issue- yet Chevy refuses to take responsibility and fix the product. It is frustrating & nerve wracking to never know how much fuel you have at any given time, as well as the constant warning lights/ chimes during driving. This is the second serious issue I have had with this vehicle- just a month before had to repair safety issue of stabilitrak turning on at random, after twice it slowed my vehicle- without warning- on the thruway from 55 mph to about 20 mph. I had documentation of 4 trips to dealer for this concern within the first year of ownership but "the computer doesn't show a problem" so 5 years later I finally had the code show up after a close call almost accident. This concern is all over the internet as well & even with contacting Chevrolet & the nys attorney general they still only covered half the cost of the repair. Chevrolet needs to take responsibility for the safety of their products and obviously will not unless recalls are mandated- I urge you to do just that. Thank you

- Youngstown, NY, USA

Jul 052011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

A 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The air conditioning unit, harness and the master switch on the drivers side window failed. The check engine light illuminated whenever the vehicle was turned off. The master switch malfunction prevented all the windows from working properly. Only 1 speaker works radio plays at low volume.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 232012

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet trail Blazer. The contact stated that the vehicle caught on fire while driving 55 mph. The fire came from under the front end. The contact was able to coast the vehicle onto the shoulder and within seconds the fire spread and burnt the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a tow yard for further investigation. The fire and police department were present. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileages were 115,000.

- Westmont , IL, USA

Jun 042012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

This issue started when the back hatch of the Trailblazer would not lock or open and the rear wiper would not work. After dealing with this for a few months the doors, windows and driver side seat stopped working. Also, the doors would not lock/unlock with the keyless entry. After some research, I changed the lgm fuse (it was blown). Once the fuse was changed everything started working except the back hatch. I manually locked the back hatch and closed it. Once the hatch was closed all of the doors locked and I could not open the truck. I manually used the key and opened the driver side door. When I opened the door I could hear the electrical wires burning in the door panel and throughout the truck. The truck was filled with smoke and smelt of burnt plastic. Luckily I was not inside the truck when the fire started because none of the unlock or window buttons worked. I would have been stuck inside of a burning truck. I unplugged the negative charge of the battery and put the fire out. Once the fire was out I tried starting the truck and it would not start. I went through all of the gears with the truck off, I pulled up the E-brake and the truck started. Once I shut the truck back off it would not start again.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 242012

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that after parking the vehicle for approximately two minutes, there were sparks seen from under the front of the vehicle. Within seconds, flames began shooting from under the vehicle. The fire department was notified who arrived to extinguish the fire.the fire department was unable to determine the origin of the fire. A police and fire report were filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 123,000.

- Laplace, LA, USA