Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 17 of 22)

Apr 042010

I purchased a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer back in Oct 2009, within the past 3 months I have now have had problems with the fuel lever sensor. My gas gauge will remain on empty even after I fill up the tank and causes the engine light to stay on. I have researched online and found that it is a very common problem with my vehicle however no recall has been issued. I have two small children who are in my car most of the time. I am very afraid that I will run out of gas and stall on the freeway. This can cause a huge accident if I stall in the middle of the freeway going 65 mph. I have been tracking the mileage on my own but it is very hard to be accurate as to how much gas is really left.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

May 232010

First of all my fuel lever sensor went out. I only figured it out when I was in a busy shopping intersection and my vehicle just shut down. Lucky for me no car rear ended me but one did come close. At the time as far I knew my car had over half a tank of gas in it. Come to find out late it didn't. to my embarrassment I slowed and stopped traffic for close to an hour while I called for help and had to be towed. My mechanic explained the problem (the fuel level sensor) and gave me two options get the part replace or keep track of the mileage and gas I put in daily, because of the cost to replace the part plus labor I decided to keep track of the mileage instead of having it replaced. Now I'm having a whole other issue I am only able to pump $10 of gas at a time because now my fuel pump went out also. When I pump gas my car thinks that it has gas when it doesn't. now I have no option but the get my car repaired for both issues of which I am doing this week. This is seriously ridiculous. I should not be having these issues with this new of a car. Hopefully something is done about this issue.

- Oglesby , IL, USA

Feb 252010

Fuel gauge not working, GM dealer wants over $600 to fix.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Jun 072010

Filled with premium fuel, started, check engine light on and fuel gauge shows empty. Gauge will work from time to time but check engine light doesn't go out.

- Louisville, KY, USA

May 312010

I own a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer. My fuel tank level sensor is not working in the vehicle. My gas gauge now always reads empty even after filling the vehicle up. This happened right after my warranty expired. I am being told they have to take the whole gas tank out to fix the problem. Since I am not able to afford that fix I have been doing research on the subject, it turns out there are a ton of folks with this vehicle experiencing the same issue. Recently, due to this problem my car stalled out in the middle of me driving through a green light. I was able to pull over to the shoulder off the road. But if I had been in a busy intersection, it most likely would have ended in an accident.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Sep 102009

2006 Chevy Trailblazer's fuel gauge failed at 40,000 miles. Shows empty all the time. There is no way to know how much fuel is left in the vehicle. The vehicle may run out of fuel without warning, stranding the driver and other occupants. Repair was quoted at over $500. I have not repaired, I was advised the replacement part would fail within a few months. Was told the system was defective and the manufacturer is aware of the defect but will not address the problem.

- Moscow, ID, USA

May 232010

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer with 12000 miles has inoperative gasoline gauge. Always reads zero. Can't pass smog test. Common problem since 2005.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

May 222010

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer ls suddenly has non operational fuel gauge. After filling up the vehicle with gas(the gauge was reading at about 1/4 full a time of fueling) upon restarting the empty fuel light has come on. The gauge itself then dropped below the 1/4 full tank previous reading all the way to zero. This is the first time this has happened. But after coming home and reading online complaints this a shockingly common occurrence with this model GM vehicle(and not just a temporary glitch, one that never goes away after it happens, but a gas gauge that from then on always reads empty). A non operational system for fuel level is a considerable safety hazard. It is the only thing to accurately measure the energy that remains to run the car.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

May 202010

Gas gauge on 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer when started shows correct fuel level. After several miles of driving gauge drops to zero and warning light and chime is activated. Gauge shows correctly each time engine is started. Dealer said many complaints of this type, but not covered by warranty. It is a bad sending unit in the fuel pump. Gas tank needs to be dropped and parts replaced at a cost of $800.

- The Villages, FL, USA

Feb 202010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer ls 4WD: Fuel level sensor failure. Thousands of online complaints w/ years ranging from 2000 - 2006. $800-$1100 for repair. No warranty coverage past 36K miles dealership mechanics are aware of malfunction and say oem part is "junk". personal incident began @ appx 55K miles. Sensor is inside fuel tank. Possible fire hazard? should be recalled.

- Omaha, NE, USA

May 082010

Fuel gauge registers empty even when tank is full.

- Danville, IN, USA

May 042010

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer fuel gauge not working properly, while driving the needle from the fuel gauge drops to empty and slowly returns back show the correct amount fuel in the vehicle. Read online that this is a common problem with the Trailblazers and cost is about $500 for repairs, sensor in the fuel tank needs replaced unable to take vehicle on any trips and have to keep an eye on how much fuel is in the tank by checking the trip odometer.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Apr 252008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer fuel level sensor hasn't worked since about 28,000 miles, now has about 80,000 miles on vehicle. Thousands upon thousands of 2006 Trailblazers have had the same problem which Chevrolet (GM) knows about but won't put out a recall service bulletin to replace this defaulted part. Here the taxpayers bailed GM out, but they won't take care of this huge problem where an operator of this vehicle could run out of fuel at any time not knowing how much fuel is in the tank because it reads empty all of the time with the low fuel light on as well. We as taxpayers can bail them out, but they won't take car of a problem that could result in deaths when a vehicle runs out of fuel at the wrong time, and in the wrong place. Is this what is needed before GM takes care of this problem? this seems to be the case. Also with this problem it sends signals that won't allow the vehicle to pass NY state vehicle inspection when there is nothing else wrong with the vehicle.

- Baldwinsville, NY, USA

May 052006

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Fuel gauge does not read gas got fuel pump replaced and now it does not work again. 2006 Chevy Trailblazer ls V6.

- Glenview, IL, USA

Feb 152010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Dear sir/madam, for several days I do have a problem with the fuel gauge indicator of my chevorlet Trailblazer 2006. The indicator shows full after a gas station stop and within less than 5 minutes it indicates empty. Sometimes it bounces up and down and then it gets stuck at empty. In the meantime the check engine light is on permanently. This is a very frustrating situation since I travel a lot for business and private with my car. I never know when sufficient gasoline is in the tank and consider this situation dangerous, the engine could stop any moment and lead to an accident. I did some research and I found several complaints from other Chevrolet Trailblazer 2006 owners all over the internet. It looks like a common problem with this model. I would like to request a comment from NHTSA and GM regarding this problem and would suggest that GM might consider a recall for the Chevy Trailblazer to replace the fuel gauge indicator. Talked to GM customer service several times. The cost estimate for the repair service is 350 - 400 $. my local Chevy dealer told me that the fuel sensor needs to be replaced. Cost for the part is 122 $ without taxes. Plus labor cost. The service advisor told me that several Chevy Trailblazer owners in the had the same problem with their cars. The conclusion is: The fuel sensor/gauge cannot handle the gasoline quality that is sold in the us. They blame certain additives in the gasoline to cause corrosion on that particular part. Question: Did GM change the material for the fuel sensor/gauge in the meantime, so that the part will not break again? from my point of view and many other Trailblazer owners: This specific car part is defective and should be replaced via a recall. I ran once out of gasoline, on a busy us route in pa.

- Canonsburg, PA, USA

Apr 292010

Fuel sensor died on 2006 Chevy Trailblazer.

- Woodbridge, CT, USA

Jan 072010

I have a 2006 Trailblazer and one day I filled up my tank and my gas gauge stopped working. After a while of driving it started working again but eventually it stop completely. I have had the high input fuel sensor replace about 4 months ago and now the "new" one has stopped working.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Apr 192010

Gas gauge shows on empty even when full on a 2006 trail Blazer took to dealer would not fix couse warranty has expired only have 37,000 miles. Ran out of gas in freeway almost got hit trying to pull to the right shoulder.

- La Puente, CA, USA

Mar 172010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer ls. The contact stated that while adding gasoline to the vehicle, the fuel level indicator would not move from the empty position. In addition, the check engine warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact stated the fuel level indicator continued to read inaccurate fuel levels. The approximate failure mileage was 29,871 and the current mileage was 30,500.

- Billerica, MA, USA

Apr 012010

Fuel level sending unit on 2006 Chevy Trailblazer ls with 6 cylinder. Gauge fluctuation started with about 1/4 tank of fuel, would show empty with low fuel light illuminating then up to about 3/4 then to 1/4, you get the idea!!!

- Marion, OH, USA