2009 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse:

2009 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 10 of 11)

Feb 122013

While pulling into my neighborhood off of the main street my power steering failed without warning. I nearly collided with a car pulling out of my subdivision as I could barely turn my car, it took all of my strength to get it to turn. If my wife had been driving there is no doubt that she would've hit the car pulling out. I got the car to my mechanic and he found a faulty power steering pump and rack and pinion.not what I expect for a vehicle with 52,000 miles on it. Over $1,000 and three days later I have my vehicle back. From what I've been reading on the internet this seems like a pretty common issue with these vehicles. I think a recall is in order before someone gets injured or killed. This is my first and possibly my last Chevrolet depending on how things go from here. I realize things go wrong on vehicles from time to time but this seems to be a pretty common problem with this particular vehicle. Please do the right thing and recall these vehicle's as this isn't an isolated issue. It's not like your customers have a thousand plus dollars lying around to fix something that is clearly faulty.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Feb 022013

Traverse 6-cyl

Power steering failed without warning while turning left onto a side street from a stop, nearly a traffic crash with oncoming traffic. Following the initial incident, the problem occurred at lower speeds of less than 30 mph while coasting, foot off gas, around corners and curves. Problem persistent, absolutely no power assisted steering in parking lots at low speeds and trying to park. Problem corrected itself while accelerating, or by raising engine RPM's. upon checking, power steering pump reservoir, it was found to be dry. Upon filling pump, there was no change to the problem. Taken to dealer, diagnosed the problem as a pump bearing failure. Approximately 1 month prior, 75,000 mile service performed by dealer, power steering fluid checked by dealer, found to be full at that time. Power steering pump replaced, system flushed, no leaks found. Dealer advised of an ongoing problem with power steering pump failure to this make and model, but no recall by GM. Repair cost between $750, for pump and flush, and $1200 with other system problems. Due to disabilities, unable to steer vehicle, had to turn driving over to another person in the vehicle. Definitely a safety issue!

- Flat Rock, MI, USA

Dec 032012

Traverse 6-cyl

The power steering stops working when going at slow speeds. Diagnosed by dealership as power steering pump and gear leaking. It becomes nearly impossible to turn the steering wheel when parking or at times turning onto roads. Our neighbors just took theirs in for the same exact issue.

- Oconomowoc, WI, USA

Nov 022011

Traverse 6-cyl

As we were driving along an on ramp to a highway as we reached 55mph the vehicle was sluggish and would "pull" constantly as we tried to accelerate all the way until we reached 65-70 mph. This started happening more and more frequently even while driving at lower speeds on city streets. Again getting that "pulling" or "bucking" sensation as we tried to accelerate. We took the vehicle to the dealership and they returned it stating they found no error codes and could not duplicate the problem. After another month of the same thing happening almost daily on every commute we took the vehicle in again to the dealership. This time they were able to duplicate the "issue" and said the cause of this problem was the motor mounts which they replaced. This made absolutely no sense and sure enough the vehicle still has the same issue to this very day. 2nd issue is the steering going completely out as you make turns going at slower speeds such as making a left hand turn or turning in to a parking space. As I started making a turn in to a parking space I had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting the car next to the empty space I was trying to go into because it felt like the "power steering" went out and could not turn the wheel at all. We have taken the vehicle to the dealership and power steering fluid and pump are working "fine" according to mechanics. I can not believe there has not been a recall on this issue since many Traverse owners have the same problem which is a major safety concern especially when we are talking about not being able to control a vehicle going around 25-30 mph in a parking lot or making turns in front of oncoming traffic (left turns). Please help with these issues.

- Cathedral City, CA, USA

Oct 312012

When making turns at slow rates of speed, around 30 mph. Steering becomes extremely difficult to turn, making it nearly impossible to maintain control of the vehicle. Does not happen regularly but is happening more often. Power steering fluid checks okay. During some instances steering will make popping noises, this happens when turning either left or right.

- Nora, VA, USA

Nov 172012

Traverse 6-cyl

Was traveling on an interstate highway at 65 mph, felt a slight thump in the steering wheel. When I tried to turn to switch lanes, the steering wheel was next to impossible to turn. I was able to drive the car but it took all of my strength to operate the steering. I am a 50 year old physically able male, if it were my wife or daughter driving, it could have been catastrophic.

- Saratoga Springs, NY, USA

Jun 012012

Traverse 6-cyl

While driving at slow speeds and going to turn corner, into a parking spot, or turning vehicle in general, steering gets very hard as if power steering went out. Power steering fluid checked routinely because if this. Have had several near miss accidents due to not being able to stay in correct lane while turning with multiple turn lanes. Thankfully other drivers were alert that I was not staying in my lane. Problem is intermittent but becoming more frequent.

- Jarrell, TX, USA

Sep 132012

Traverse 6-cyl

I was in the process of making a left hand turn when my steering wheel locked when I finally got the steering wheel to loosen and move back into place I heard a loud popping sound. Then my car on the front passenger side dropped to the ground due to the front tire axle braking which caused me to hit the back of a park vehicle. The brake of the axle appeared to clean as though the axle was never apart of my car. The incident scared me a lot and it could have been a lot worse. I do not understand how this could have happened on 3 year old car and I did not have any real warning signs prior to this. I would like to get this issue resolved as I am now without my car and I have to face repairing someone else's vehicle.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 012012

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while turning the steering wheel, the steering wheel would seize without warning. The contact had to turn the steering wheel several times in order for the steering wheel to become loose. The failure recurred as the contact made sharp turns. The vehicle was not taken to dealer or a repair shop for inspection or repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The current and failure mileage was 75,000.

- Walhalla, SC, USA

May 152012

Traverse 6-cyl

Turning left against traffic steering wheel locked in place for a few seconds and then released quickly causing a very unsafe condition of turning hard with nothing and then almost U-turning with too much turning strength. There is no warning of steering stoppage. It was out of warranty and dealer suggested changing fluid as it was over 100K miles. Took to independent shop and was told I need a rack and pinion. R & P was replaced and problem still existed. Oem R & P replaced and problem still there. There is a steering solenoid that was replaced because it was full of dirty steering fluid. That did not repair it either. There is a pressure relief valve in the power steering pump that failed intermittently and the whole pump needed to be replaced. It appears the Traverse is having a lot of "steering issues". this Traverse has a lot of highway miles and the problem took a while to develop. I have been talking to Chevrolet about this and they do not want to acknowledge a "problem". I spent $1200 having this issue resolved. When the steering first reacted this way, I felt in danger with the oncoming traffic, and the steering went violent when it released causing another dangerous situation of turning too far into more traffic. As I look at steering problems with this model there are numerous complaints and if mileage piles up a dangerous condition will occur and possible wrecks.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Mar 152012

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 55 mph the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the power steering stopped functioning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000.

- Annville, KY, USA

Nov 102009

Steering was making a whining sound when turning the wheel. This happened within 3 months of purchase of the vehicle. Since it was under warranty, Chevy "fixed" the problem. 2 years later after the "fix" the steering is again making the whining sound when turning the wheel. The vehicle is no longer under warranty. We haven't yet had Chevy look at the problem again, but judging by the other complaints in the NHTSA database, we will likely have to shell out over $1000 to get this problem fixed again.

- Clifton, VA, USA

Nov 092011

When it gets wet underneath the steering stops and freezes up until I can the wheels straight and it has happened to me turning either left or right the dealer checked steering belt and found it wasn't that. It is dangerous to drive when there is puddles on the roads. Dealer told me to bring it back when it does it again. I have to wait until it rains.

- Tewksbury, MA, USA

Jan 282011

When my vehicle was 2 years old and had approximately 35,900 miles, I started hearing a low whining noise in the steering column whenever the steering wheel was turned. The intermittent noise continued, so I had the vehicle serviced on 2/18/11 with mileage of 36,379. The dealership was unable to duplicate the noise. The noise continued getting worse; became louder and constant. I had the vehicle serviced on 8/24/11 with mileage of 44,248. The dealership determined the steering gear was failing and needed replacement. Since the vehicle was no longer under warranty, I had to pay $1212.80. It's very disheartening to have a repair of this magnitude on a 2 year old vehicle with low mileage. I purchased this Traverse brand new to avoid the costly repairs of older vehicles. Apparently, I made a bad decision. This vehicle has already had 3 safety recalls and the steering gear should be made the 4th.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Jul 112011

Traverse 6-cyl

I began noticing that my steering wheel would make a clicking noise. Then a while later, I began to notice it was increasingly harder to make sharp left/right turns into parking spaces. I took in my vehicle at 53,000 miles and they said the steering gear had failed. It took 2 days to repair and almost $1400. Then I'm driving the car less than a day and can't again turn into a parking space. I cranked the wheel with all my might to get it parked. I took my car back and they now say it's a power steering failure! why does a 2 1/2 yr old car have failing parts?!

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Mar 012011

Loud thumping noise when turning the steering wheel. Sounded like something fell out of the front end of the car. Car dealership replaced rack and pinion and bled power steering and set toe. Found noise traced to internal rack failure which caused clunk when turned back and forth. Repaired 3/2011

- Raymore, MO, USA

Jan 152010

Vehicle makes noise when turning sometimes vibrates. Dealer says its the steering rack.

- Saugerties, NY, USA

Jun 102010

Steering wheel whining noise when turning. Pulsating and a stiff turning in a parking lot or when going slow. Dealer is now going to replace the steering rack.

- Saint Thomas, 00, USA

Nov 112009

Steering wheel whining noise when turning. Pulsating and a stiff turning in a parking lot or when going slow. Dealer replaced sic coil, fixed temporary.

- St. Thomas, 00, USA

Mar 052010

Steering wheel makes strange noise when turning the steering wheel. Pulsating and a little stiffer turning in a parking lot or going slow.

- Vine Grove, KY, USA