2009 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse:

2009 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 9 of 11)

Jun 122013

Traverse

The rack and pinion on my Traverse is leaking. The mechanic said they had the same thing on a couple other 2009 Traverses that have come through their shop. This is a $1,000-$1,200 repair that is common for these vehicles at this mileage. This will also make the power steering pump go out and not be able to turn. Why hasn't this been recalled yet? this is something that needs to be looked into by the government/GM as to how many of these similar issues have been repaired by dealers. This needs to be a covered recall. Obvious weak workmanship of this part.

- Seymour, IN, USA

Dec 192012

Traverse 6-cyl

The steering is hard to turn when driving in law speed for example making a U-turn, while entering a parking spot, while performing a parallel parking, when exiting the high way into a street.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

May 232013

Traverse

2009 Traverse that will not turn!! no noise from the power steering pump, just driving along and all of a sudden the car will not turn!! this needs to be recalled!! this is ridiculous Chevy won't cover this problem! researched online and there are hundreds of customers with this same problem!

- Potlatch, ID, USA

Jan 312013

Traverse 6-cyl

The Traverse will not turn at certain speeds without excessive pressure to the steering wheel. I can't park in tight spaces, making turns greater than 20 degrees are increasingly difficult. Random turns are also difficult, like changing lanes on the freeway etc. The pressure needed to make these turns on the steering wheel can be overwhelming to the average driver. I am concerned that this may cause an accident. GM refuses to address the problem, and says that it is electrical and must be fixed at my expense even though the car is still under warranty. This seems like a power steering problem, yet GM says the steering is electrical.

- Belleville, MI, USA

Apr 292013

Traverse 6-cyl

While parking the car, the steering wheel would not turn. It was as if the power steering quit working. I have also noticed the vehicle is becoming harder to turn while in motion. After doing some research on the 2009 Traverse, I found this to be a common problem with the steering. This is a huge safety issue. I would not be reporting this except that it is a common problem. I feel that the power steering and the rack and pinion should be recalled asap for this safety concern. We don't need anyone's steering to go completely out and not be able to control the vehicle with has also happened according to my research causing accidents.

- Grand Forks, ND, USA

Mar 152013

Traverse 6-cyl

I just purchased my 2009 Traverse in March and within 2 weeks of owning it I noticed it was hard to park, unfortunately there was not a warranty on the car. Now its been almost 3 months since I purchased my vehicle and it is getting worse by the day. I not only have problems parking but also when I make turns. I have taken to be looked at and they said it is a common problem with this vehicle. My concern is if it is so common why has it not been recalled. It is obviously a dangerous problem. I have had to stop my car in order to get it to turn so that I could fihish parking. Also have noticed a clunking noise when the ac is on.

- Pueblo West, CO, USA

May 112013

Traverse 6-cyl

On my way to an appt traveling about 45 mph. Heard a loud whining sound, so I decreased my acceleration. Noise went away. There were no sensors/lights signaling that anything was wrong nor did the car perform any different than before the noise occurred. I noticed that something wasn't right when I tried make a turn that lead to my destination. It was much harder to turn my wheel. I continued to my appt but when I tried to park, I really had issues because my steering wheel would barely turn in any direction. After my appt, took my car to pep boys for them to check the power steering fluid levels. The employee showed me that the levels were fine & that I should contact my dealership. I drove home but I had a very hard time especially when I was traveling at speeds lower than 25 mph. I didn't attempt to drive the car until Monday morning when I took it to the dealer I bought it from. I told them what it was doing & asked that they look at it. They called me at work and said that I needed a new power steering pump and a rack & pinion steering gear plus an alignment. All total I would be shelling out $1100 for an issue that I shouldn't have with a 3-yr-old car with only 41K miles on it!! I called General Motors to file a formal complaint because none of this was under the powertrain warranty on the car. I also wanted to file a complaint because I noticed that this is a common issue after I researched it on the internet. They took my complaint but told me there was nothing they could do since there was no recall on the car for this issue. I am making this complaint here because someone is going to die if this issue doesn't get fixed through a recall. And it's a shame that hard-working people have to make a costly repair such as this on a car that's not even 5 years old & with minimal mileage. Please make GM recall this!!!!!

- West Mifflin, PA, USA

Mar 132013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic replaced the power steering fluid however, after the repair the failure continued. The mechanic stated that the rack and pinion would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000. The VIN was not available.

- Roanoke Rapids, NC, USA

Apr 082013

Traverse 6-cyl

When making turns into parking spaces, a driveway, sharp or wide turns it seems the power steering goes out. I can hardly turn the car and have almost been in several accidents. Based on the complaints online and on this site it appears to cost several hundred to thousands of dollars to repair. To me this is a serious safety issue.

- Marshall, WI, USA

Apr 262013

Traverse

My wife is the primary driver of our 2009 Traverse. I was driving it about a week ago and noticed the power steering motor whining. We had an appointment for service on the 26th and I reported it to them. Basically at slow speeds when turning you could here the motor whining. They stated that the power steering pump needs to be replaced along with the rack due to leaking (which we hadn't noticed previously). The repair is estimated at $1800. I have read where people have lost their power steering riding down the road, that hasn't happened to us, yet..

- Mardela Springs, MD, USA

Apr 202013

Traverse 6-cyl

I took it in because the A/C stop working and they founded the leaked. Also mentioned a recalled but didn't list on my receipt. My low beam headlights burned out too. I think there is an electrical problem but the dealer won't admit. Claimed repairs are normal wear and tear. I wish they had told me this before I bought this car brand new.

- Haymarket, VA, USA

Mar 202013

Traverse 6-cyl

At slow speeds such as entering a parking space or making a turn onto a side street the steering simply locks up. More difficult than simply driving a car without power steering. No accident yet but my wife drives it daily and I'm afraid its only a matter of time before she gets hit due to lack of ability to react quickly. I have found hundreds of Traverse owners having the same issues with the same vehicle at the same mileage. This needs to be addressed by GM. A recall needs put into effect as repairs are costly. I've seen from$850 to over a thousand. This is too costly and important a repair for an automobile with such low mileage. Fluid levels were found to be low once. Fluid was topped off but issue remains. Absolutely no signs of leak under vehicle. It is spotless.

- Republic, MO, USA

Aug 032009

Traverse

I have a 2009 Traverse lt. After owning the car 3 months we started experiencing a "bucking issue" when turning at slow speeds and coming off highways on curves.very dangerous!, the steering wheel pulls in the opposite direction you are steering in a rhythmic pattern. Chevy replaced the entire rack & pinion system - still had the same issue. The car has been back many times and bleed over 24 hour period. Still the same issue. Chevy insists there are no recalls or alerts on this problem but clearly from posts on the internet there are problems. The car is now 4 years old with 45,000 miles on it - mostly local driving. Still very concerned that with my wife and kids using the car mostly the bucking may pull the car in the opposite direction when exiting an off ramp. I have been a loyal Chevy owner since I was 16 but this issue has happen to so many people I can't understand why they cannot identify and fix the problem. I fear that it will take a major incident to bring this issue to light.

- Huntington, NY, USA

Apr 122013

Traverse 6-cyl

Car in repair shop getting new intermediate steering shaft, mechanic stated that rack& pinion was seeping oil on both sides.will need replaced soon, vehicle has 51000 miles.

- Mogadore, OH, USA

Oct 122011

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the power steering assist failed. The contact stated that he had to shut off and restart the vehicle in order for the vehicle to function properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the power steering pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified but no assistance was provided. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Bowie , MD, USA

Jan 012013

Traverse

Driving vehicle at slow speeds and turning is near impossible. Power steering fails. This is a saftey issue, and would not be able to avoid an accident if we needed to.

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA

Mar 102013

Traverse

Going around a corner on a highway at approx 55 miles per hour the handling of the car becam erratic and difficult to control and uncontrollably shifted into the left lane. I forced it to the side of the road and determined we lost power steering. Had to manhandle it to our repair shop. The mechanic replaced the power steering pump and bled the system. Still was not right. Replaced the pump again and re-bled system. Still no better. Researched problem and found that we have to repalce the rack as well. Should not have to put this kind of money into a vehicle with 46,860 miles on it. GM will do nothing. There is no way that my wife or my daughters could have safely got that car to the side of the road and they both drive the car. Have no decided to repair vehicle yet. Will be contacting the better business bureau. Amazing no one have had a serious or fatal accident yet.

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Mar 172013

Traverse 6-cyl

While driving experienced total steering failure. Could not turn car at all. Required complete sytem replacement of power steering pump and steering rack. Appears to be very common problem with car.

- Atkinson, NH, USA

Mar 162013

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the steering wheel started moving without any response from the wheels. The contact mentioned that the traction control and the air bag warning lamps illuminated immediately after the failure. The contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a snow bank. No injuries were reported. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the steering shaft detached from the steering column. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offered any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 50,500.

- Ortonville, MN, USA

Sep 012012

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the power steering assist malfunctioned and the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they advised him that the power steering pump failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000. The current mileage was approximately 80,000.

- Powell, OH, USA