2009 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse:

2009 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 8 of 11)

Mar 162013

Traverse

My 2009 Traverse LT1 has steering issues while turning at slow speeds. The steering gets extremely stiff, resulting in having to use incredible strength to complete the turn. I first noticed it when the car got over 40,000 miles. Took it to Chevy service dealer and they stated it was a safety feature. I knew that false because I would have noticed it before 40,000. Now they're telling me they can't help me unless the car does it while in their care. But it happens randomly so that doesn't help, which also makes it that much more scarier. This is a well-documented issue among Traverse owners. Most owners have stated that Chevy would have them repair the pump or rack, not covered by a warranty, costing $1200 plus, to only face this issue shortly thereafter.

- San Gabriel, CA, USA

Feb 192013

Traverse

When turning at low speed, the power steering goes out and makes it very difficult to turn the vehicle.

- Ewing , NJ, USA

Sep 132013

Traverse

At low speeds such as pulling out of my driveway, pulling into parking spaces and turning onto a street from a stop the power steering in my 2009 Chevy Traverse appears to be failing making the vehicle nearly impossible to turn. It is very difficult to turn the steering wheel when this happens and I am worried this is going to happen when a person or another vehicle is in my way causing a severe incident.

- Mentor, OH, USA

Sep 172013

Traverse

No incident occurred, but I had the autonation delray beach, fl GM dealership service technician look into why the steering wheel would squeal when making slow speed turns, with the sharper the turn, the louder the squeal. Reading the other posts, I am guessing he knew right away what the noise was from without really having to investigate. After their "inspection", the GM service rep gave me a call and indicated that the steering rack needed to be replaced because it was leaking fluid. And this leak would over time cause internal parts to overheat and potentially cause a lack in steering capabilities. After saying yes to the repairs/replacement, I started thinking that this might be something that should be covered under the warranty. As was the experience with other posters, the GM service rep indicated GM is currently not considering this a warranty repair or recall repair. As taxpayers, don't we still own a part of GM" or maybe they were able to pay us back using the costly repairs dollars we have been paying out for repairs that I would say definitely fall under the recall category" I feel fortunate steering never locked up on me, but it sounds like these repairs to the steering components don't guarentee no future issues.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jul 032013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering rack and steering pump needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000 and the current mileage was 92,300.

- Oxford , MA, USA

Sep 232011

Traverse

The 2009 Chevrolet Traverse has known steering problems, power steering pump, gears, etc. In talking to the local dealership, Chevy knows of this issue but continues to offer no assistance in a solution. According to the service technician, the problem is based on a poor design in the pump housing and gear assembly with the power steering, as he states..."the pump is too small". the problem is in turning at low speeds, turning into parking spaces, driveways, or secondary roads. The steering wheel shakes or feels like a loss in power, and the steering wheel is almost impossible to turn. The dealership states that the cost to replace the pump and gear is an estimated $1200. This issue needs to be resolved by Chevy, not the consumer.

- North Augusta, SC, USA

Sep 012013

Traverse

I have a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse ltz and I have been having steering problems with the vehicle. I have had problems with the power steering at low speeds making it difficult to steer the vehicle. I have had work done on the vehicle to repair this problem and I am still having problems with steering the vehicle at low speeds. My wife usually drives the vehicle and I am concerned for her safety because of the steering problems. I took my vehicle to a Chevrolet dealership and I have spent over $1,000 on this vehicle and I am still having problems with this vehicle. I would like to know if there is a solution and if GM has a recall on these vehicles for this problems. I am afraid that the steering will fail and my wife may have a vehicle accident.

- Delhi, LA, USA

Nov 012012

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, there was a sudden loss of power steering without warning. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer three times. The technician informed that the power steering pump would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and they refused to repair the vehicle under the service warranty. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000.

- Loveland, CO, USA

Aug 152013

Traverse 6-cyl

Steering failed while driving on rural two-lane highway. I was unable to turn the steering wheel in either direction. I was able to edge the vehicle off the highway and avoid a collision with other vehicles with great difficulty. Vehicle towed to Chevrolet dealer and was advised power steering pump failed. Pump was replaced on 16. August 2013. On 20. August 2013 steering again became difficult at low speeds. Vehicle was returned to dealer and was advised both replacement pump and steering rack need to replaced. The consumer continued to experience minor hesitations in the steering, until August 20, 2013 when he experienced a loss of steering assist at low RPM's. the vehicle was taken to the original dealer, where he was informed power steering fluid was contaminated. The second dealer informed the consumer the wrong fluid was put in the vehicle. Updated 10/31/13

- Ballston Spa, NY, USA

Jun 012010

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while turning at various speeds, a whining noise was heard as steering became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was determined that the power steering pump, rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 25,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Shorter, AL, USA

Jun 302013

Traverse

From reading all the post I don't see why Chevy haven't recalled this Traverse. My wife has a 2009 Chevy Traverse, she complained she was having a hard time turning the wheel. Then she says it got to the point where the wheel would lock up mid turn. I drove it and every now and then I felt it get a little stiff. But one day on the way home from store I'm driving, at a light turning red I turn, the car in on coming traffic decide not to stop. I had plenty of time to turn and get out his way (so I thought) mid turn the wheel locked. I had to hit the gas to get out of the way, instead of making the left turn I ended up making a U-turn and was almost rear-ended. Took car to dealer, they tell me the rack is gone and it will cost $1400, well I just paid my girls college tuition and I'm a little short of $1400 about $1399. So I had to have my wife park the car until we can get the money to get it fixed, but if they know of the problem why don't they do the right thing. I'm just glad I was driving when this happened and not my wife or my daughters.

- Chicago , IL, USA

May 272013

Traverse 6-cyl

At low speeds the vehicle is extremely hard to steer. Parking lot maneuvers, turning at a stop sign or light, and other slow speed turns are very difficult to make for me and especially my wife who is the primary driver. I'm no body builder but I do workout but it is still very difficult for me to control the direction of the vehicle's travel at low speeds. Through traverseforum.com I have learned that other Traverse lt and ltz drivers have experienced or are experiencing the same problem. The ls models do not have this problem as they have no steering gear valve solenoid which the lt and ltz models do have. I have checked the power steering fluid reservoir and it is at the proper level. GM needs to address this problem before someone wrecks or causes a wreck because of this extremely difficult steering problem. Luckily it is only occurring at low speeds. I have ordered this solenoid which is on backorder which implies to me that this is a common problem with this vehicle. We are happy with this vehicle and Chevrolet/GM, however, this issue needs to be addressed by GM as a safety recall in my opinion.

- Grapevine, AR, USA

Jul 092013

Traverse 6-cyl

The power steering does not work I have seen online many complaints about this problem, ia lower speeds the powering steering cuts out not I have the strength to turn the car with much effort but a woman will not be able to turn the car and if they are facing oncoming traffic someone is going to be hurt the steering on the Traverse need to be fixed a recall on this vehicle for safety reasons.

- Roy, UT, USA

Jul 092013

Traverse 6-cyl

While backing into a parking stall, I could hear loud banging coming from the steering component (both left and right side while turning steering wheel) brought vehicle in to GMC dealer in merced, ca and service advisor stated it was the rack and pinion steering that needed to be replaced. Stated the repair was $1400. I brought the vehicle in for recall on water pump found out the engine was leaking oil on the left side (that will be covered under power train warranty) water pump covered by recall that will be covered. Did some research and found hundreds and hundreds of complaint of the same component failure. When is the government going to make GMC llc real on this issue!!!!! ps this is not the first time we have had a problem with this vehicle. Vehicle accelerated out of control at approx 50,000 miles and complained to NHTSA and GMC llc on that issue also. Going to use the 1400 buck to buy another vehicle. Just hope the next person getting this vehicle doesn't get injured.

- Merced, CA, USA

May 072012

Traverse

Making slow speed left hand turn steering would stiffen and start bucking, would occur intermittently and now on a regular basis; took veh to dealer and was advised bearing issue would cost around $900 for part and was not under warranty. This is a serious safety issue and someone is going to die from this particular problem if responsibility is not accepted and issue corrected. Would be cheaper to accept than face all the wrongful death/injury lawsuits;

- Ellisville, MS, USA

May 252013

Traverse 6-cyl

Steering started to very sluggish when making a slow turn (parking, turn to driveway etc.) some low noise developed and a loud squeaking in the steering column followed. Loud enough to make passengers ask about it. Went to dealer and asked if they had a fix. Was told that I needed to have the oil in the power steering removed and unit cleaned, and new oil added...........price quote was +-$ $230. Asked if there was a recall as this seemed a little strange, was told no ! so I asked if this was a fix for the problem" was told no! that this problem would return almost at once. Asked if this was in anyway dangerous" got a no comment. Am now waiting a call from dealer after telling service mg. That I had mis-givings about letting my wife drive as he had mentioned the possible failure of the unit. To say nothing of the possible loss of any resale value.

- Milton, FL, USA

Oct 072010

Traverse 6-cyl

Since mid-'10, our '09 Traverse has had issues with the power steering. When the problem first surfaced, it was primarily limited to sharp turns into parking spaces. The steering would seize and it would be difficult to turn into the spot. We took the Traverse to the dealer in 10/10 when the mileage was 21,129. The problem was diagnosed as an "internal steering gear failure (binding). The power steering gear was replaced and the power steering system bled. The problem seemed better. The seizing occurred much less. However, in the past few months we noticed a rapid decline. Now the problem has surfaced when driving down the road and trying to make a turn (left or right) onto another road/driveway/etc. The wheel seizes so much that my husband is almost incapable of turning the wheel. This is a serious safety hazard. We brought the vehicle into the dealer on 5/22/13 when the mileage was 61,287. This time the problem was diagnosed as "steering gear leaking". the dealer stated that the problem was not covered under warranty, but because the problem was not properly addressed back in October 2010 (when it was covered), they would do us a favor and cover it at a pro-rated amount. The repair (replacing the power steering gear for a second time and bleeding the power steering system) only cost us $456 out of pocket. Two days later the problem resurfaced, and even worse than before. I will not drive the car anymore, out of fear that I am not strong enough to turn the wheel if the problem occurs. I fear for my family's safety when we are riding in it. We have an appointment at the dealership for this Friday. Hopefully this time it will be repaired. I am not optimistic. It is inexcusable that there is not a recall on this issue yet. This website, and several others, reveal that hundreds -- if not thousands -- of vehicle owners are experiencing this same issue.

- Mableton, GA, USA

May 082013

Traverse 6-cyl

I was told at the annual inspection that the rack and pinion was slightly leaking and will need to be replaced in the future. It also knocks when ever I turn at slow speed.

- Macungie, PA, USA

May 272013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving approximately 15 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver without warning. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 78,000.

- Richland , VA, USA

May 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

At slower speeds, driver periodically unable to turn steering wheel. Never happened above 40 mph, but got more and more frequent over one month period of time. Was most frequent when turning into parking spots or when making sharper turn at slow speeds. This was not a case of oversteering.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA