2009 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Traverse:

2009 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 7 of 11)

Mar 032014

Traverse

While driving my car the power steering abrubtly stopped working. I was coming up to a stop sign and the steering wheel became very hard to turn. It turned out that the power steering pump had failed. Luckily I was on a rural road with no traffic around me. I took it to the Chevy dealer and they replaced the pump at a cost of $650. My concern is what would have happened if I was in busy traffic and the power steering unexpectedly stopped working? the outcome may have been a lot different.I have been on several Chevy Traverse forums and I am amazed at how many owners have had the same issue with their vehicles. I would consider this a safety issue that GM should address especially in light of the recent recall they have issued recently on other models for the same problem.

- Cedar Lake, IN, USA

Dec 102013

Traverse 6-cyl

After car warms up, no power steering at speeds under 20 mph.

- Marion, IN, USA

Sep 102012

Traverse

Intermittent steering failure in 2009 Chevy Traverse. Speed is not a factor since the steering just stops working at no matter what my speed is. It doesn't matter if your turning left or right. It started out just happening on occasion not very frequently. Now it is happening all the time. I have had the steering just stop working to the point that you cannot steer at all like it just locks up, not even manual steering is available. I have had the steering stop working while trying to turn a corner and have to wait for the steering to come back before I can finish the turn. It only takes a few seconds for it to come back and I have not gotten into an accident because of it yet but my fear is that it could cause an accident with this issue. This has happened doing 70 mph down the expressway. This is my wife's car and I have great concern with her driving this car. I have read several steering issues on the internet dealing with the same issue that I am having however GM has not recalled this problem yet.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Aug 172013

Traverse

While driving through a winding road suddenly experienced loss of power-steering making it difficult to steer. Power-steering then returned as suddenly as it went away. Problem happens intermittently and especially at low speeds when turning making steering of the Traverse very difficult. I believe the GM recall for power-steering failure needs to be extended to include Chevy Traverse models before drivers are injured.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 012013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the power steering stop working and a result, he crash into another vehicle. A police report was not filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the technician diagnosed that the power steering and rack and pinion might be defective. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 90,000.

- Mcloud, OK, USA

Oct 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the power steering was rough which made it difficult to make left and right turns at low speeds on multiple occasions. The contact had to apply force to turn the steering wheel. The vehicle was not taken to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing. The failure recurred for several months. An independent mechanic diagnosed that the power steering motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72000. Updated 5/27/14 the consumer stated GM paid $1100 of the $1900. Updated 08/07/14

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Oct 032012

Traverse

Power steering stops working at lower speeds at times.

- Franklin, OH, USA

Oct 252013

Traverse 6-cyl

I have been having the following problems: Steering wheel whining and grinding steering froze/stuck while turning steering wheel shaking this is scary considering I'm driving this vehicle everyday with 3 small kids in the car. After doing an online search it's not hard to find that everyone with the same vehicle is having the same problems.

- Blue River, WI, USA

Feb 052014

Traverse 6-cyl

Turning in dealer lot and steering became almost impossible to turn vehicle in desired direction. Almost hit a new car on lot as there was no warning power steering would fail. This has happened several times since. Seems like an accident waiting to happen. I doubt my wife would have been able to handle the vehicle in this incident. GM dealer in carlsbad ca. Does not admit to any knowledge of the problem but goggle has hundreds of incidents.

- Buffalo, MN, USA

Feb 102014

Traverse 6-cyl

The steering is sometimes very difficult to turn at low speeds especially when parking, making a turn into driveways or at intersections. The problem is intermittent but annoying and concerning enough that made it difficult for anyone else in the family to drive the vehicle. I am a strong individual and it is embarrassing when you try to pull into or out of a parking spot and almost swipe a vehicle because of the steering difficulty. I have siphoned and replaced the fluid multiple times and it seems to help a bit but not enough to warrant a piece of mind. I have talked with the dealership and they indicated the possible options for the fix may be in the $1000 to $1400 range. I was planning to have it fixed; however, based on some of the posts, I am hesitating to have anything done if the issue seems to come back shortly after as some indicated. I am not sure why GM has not done anything about it or the government has not forced a recall on the issue. It is a safety hazard and unless there are numerous death about the problem, no one wants to do the right thing and own up to their responsibility. I would not have known that this problem is widespread if it was not for the choking and high repair cost which may or may not fix the issue according to other posts. Is this issue unique to the 2009 Chevy Traverse? or does it include other models in the SUV family (Buick, GMC) and newer models" is there any class action lawsuit against GM about this"

- Dewitt, MI, USA

Nov 052013

Traverse 6-cyl

At low speeds the power steering will stop working. The problem is intermittent and with out warning. While driving the operators must be extremely cautious so that they do not wreck the vehicle when the problem occurs.

- Campobello, SC, USA

Jul 012013

Traverse

When driving under 40mph the vehicle is hesitate to turn, seems to be a power steering issue. Took the car in for 100,000 mile inspection, told the dealership the issue and was told "we could not detect a problem". when I turn into a driveway, parking spot, etc it hesitates and becomes difficult to turn to the point that I think it isn't going to turn at all. One odd thing I have noticed is this occurs most often during warm weather, last winter I hardly noticed the problem but as the outdoor temp rose upward of 60 the issue began occurring again-no clue why the temp would matter just stating my experience. Chevy really needs to address this before someone gets hurt.

- Old Hickory, TN, USA

Jun 142013

Traverse

While trying to turn into a driveway the steering wheel became extremely hard to turn. This has happened multiple times- too many to count actually. GM should stand behind their products and fix the steering issues with these vehicles.

- Pryor, OK, USA

Feb 142014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse ltz. The contact stated that while turning into the parking garage, the power steering failed and became inoperable to turn. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the power steering pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer had not been made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000.

- Sarver, PA, USA

Sep 162013

Traverse

I have replaced my power steering twice. The first time I had to replace all the hoses to the power steering. Now this time I am having to replace the entire power steering system at a cost of $1,500. I have a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. It was bought with 30,000 miles now has 90,000 miles. I'm very disappointed in GM regarding this. Everyone is having same issues and I feel GM should own up to this. All athens Chevrolet keeps saying is "we know we have a problem but it would cost way to much money to recall this".

- Lexington , GA, USA

Jan 012013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed without warning while he attempted a turn. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000 and the current mileage was 42,000.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Dec 302013

Traverse

I have a 2009 Chevy Traverse, bought brand new. When backing out and turning out of my driveway, my steering was beyond stiff. I had to use excessive force to turn and there was a loud clunking noise when I did. This steering problem occurred at lower speeds up to about 20 mph or so. It occurred whether I was turning right or left, moving forward or backwards. When turning left and/or right, (not from a stop sign) I had to pull the wheel very hard to keep from going into the oncoming lane. Assuming the problem was a lack of steering fluid, I went to a les schwab to have it checked and filled, but that wasn't the problem. The next day I took it to a shop and the mechanic believes the problem to be the power steering sensor?? the car is there now so I don't know the results yet. Prior to this incident, I was driving down the freeway and when changing lanes the steering stiffened and resisted almost causing me to hit the median. I have had many issues with this vehicle since buying it. Issues that wouldn't be expected from a vehicle this new.

- Nyssa, OR, USA

Nov 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

During 15mph turn power steering failed and it was extremely difficult to manage the turn. I narrowly avoided hitting another vehicle which was waiting to enter the intersection. Took vehicle to dealer on 11/5/13 who replaced the water pump because the coolant leaking on belt caused the belt to slip, which is turn caused the power steering to fail. 12/27/13 brought car back to dealer because initial steering problem was occurring again. This time we were told steering rack and pinion is leaking fluid and we were advised to replace this.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 172013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact was driving approximately 5 mph when the power steering suddenly malfunctioned and the steering wheel became very difficult to turn. The contact indicated the defect was only present when driving the vehicle at low speeds. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer but not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Warrensburg, NY, USA

Oct 012013

Traverse

At low speeds, power steering failed rendering the vehicle incapable of turning. Backing out driveway became difficult because the steering wheel would refuse to turn. Parking in parking spots was difficult. When turning, the power steering would fail creating a dangerous situation if unable to turn in a timely manner such as making left turns through oncoming traffic in, what would be considered normal circumstances.

- Amarillo, TX, USA